MTA Votes "Yes" On Fare Hikes Vol. This Is Some Bull$#!$

Originally Posted by l Knicks Fresh Knick l

I hate MTA...

worst service, pay increase, PACKED AS hell..

luckly i gotta younger brother that hooks it up with that school metro..

call me what you want, but that #!%% is 80 something $ a month saved

I seen plenty of people get bagged in the subway using someone elses student metro
laugh.gif

Sounds like robbery.

I sort of agree with the charging $1 for a new card, though. Every bus is littered with hundreds of cards that people just throw on the floor instead of keeping or discarding in a waste basket. How hard is it to just keep it in your wallet?

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Surprised this hasn't been bought up...

$1.50 Frisco MUNI fare>MTA

CA>NY
i live in SD. this is the FIRST time i have ever disagreed with this statement.

I was thinking about it, and NY is winning. $104 for THAT public transportation? you don't need a whip. think about Gas, Insurance, Maintenance and all that #%+#, and that $104 looks good, especially considering you HAVE to have a car in SD and LA.
Well that's an L for you SoCal people. Over in Frisco, $70 for monthly passes on Muni. But our Bart Subway trains are +@%$%%* high-priced though, it costs me $2.90 one-way to go four miles to work. And the monthly passes are non-existent for our Subway.
Another reason why CA>NY.

I just came back from NYC and $104 a month is so much more worth it considering it can take you everywhere in NYC. The muni system in SF is nice but you are only confided to about 7 square miles for the $59 cost....and Bart is all extra fees and only takes you so far and you most likely need a car to where ever you go. Even for the person above that is paying $2.90 one way....that is roughly about $127 or so a month. I used to commute from El Cerrito to Embarcadero and one way was about $4.

So as far as NYC transit goes....I think it is better then Cali.

CA>NY

I was thinking about it, and NY is winning. $104 for THAT public transportation? you don't need a whip. think about Gas, Insurance, Maintenance and all that #%+#, and that $104 looks good, especially considering you HAVE to have a car in SD and LA.
Well that's an L for you SoCal people. Over in Frisco, $70 for monthly passes on Muni. But our Bart Subway trains are +@%$%%* high-priced though, it costs me $2.90 one-way to go four miles to work. And the monthly passes are non-existent for our Subway.
Nah, I'm from the Bay and NY is definitely winning in the transportation department even with these fare hikes. MUNI is cool but what about the rest of the Bay Area? BART fares are RIDICULOUS. 
sick.gif
 No monthly passes. It costs like $8 roundtrip to cross the bay. Bridge toll 
sick.gif
 It's at what? $6 now?
I remember how earlier this decade MUNI was only $0.35 for youth 
pimp.gif
 I thought the increase to $0.50 was outrageous 
laugh.gif
 Now it's $0.75 
sick.gif

Originally Posted by KleanKicks

By Jennifer Glickel and Nina Mandell

DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

MIDTOWN — Despite massive opposition from riders and even some from board members, the MTA passed a controversial proposal Thursday to raise bus and subway fares, bringing the price of a 30-day unlimited MetroCard to a whopping $104.

The MTA board passed a number of other fare hikes, including the following:
  • The cost of one subway ride will go from $2.25 to $2.50 when you buy a single-ride card. Refills on existing cards will remain at $2.25 per ride.
  • The seven-day card will go from $27 to $29.
  • One-day and 14-day unlimited ride cards will be eliminated.
  • Purchasing a new MetroCard instead of refilling an existing card will cost $1.
The hikes will go into effect Dec. 30. The changes will net the MTA an anticipated 7.5 percent in revenue.

"I would rather have expensive fares than no service," said MTA board member Susan Metzger, who voted yes for the fare hike.

Frustrated straphangers and MTA employees attacked the board at the public meeting on Thursday morning, accusing members of being oblivious to the needs of New York City commuters.

"Never have I seen the anger higher at this board of rich people who don’t even ride their own transit system," said Marty Goodman, an MTA station agent.

MTA Chairman and CEO Jay Walder defended the vote, saying the board had no other choice but to raise fares.

"I would certainly accept that some of these actions were painful for our customers and employees," Walder said.

"While we all know that the state revenues fell far short of what was projected, we here at this board and at this company have taken extraordinary measures to stick to our side of the deal and bring in 7.5 percent in revenue."

Some board members spoke out openly against the vote, including nonvoting member Andrew Albert.

"We should be rewarding our best customers for being our best customers, and instead we’re punishing them," Albert said.

Riders were furious when they heard the news.

"I think there are better ways of [balancing] the budget than than raising fares," said 20-year-old Anastasia Bana as she waited for the train in Rockfeller Center. "There's no need to buy all the new trains that we can't even use in rush hours."

"It makes me wonder if the MTA people have ever taken trains."

Even board members seemed exhausted after the vote.

On the elevator down in the MTA building, board member Patrick Foye shook his head sadly at a reporter.

"Well that was fun, wasn't it?" he said.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20101007/midtown/mta-votes-yes-on-fare-hikes#ixzz11guiIFFL

http://bottledgoose.net/gifs/supernatural-****indone.gif    
images

By Jennifer Glickel and Nina Mandell

DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

MIDTOWN — Despite massive opposition from riders and even some from board members, the MTA passed a controversial proposal Thursday to raise bus and subway fares, bringing the price of a 30-day unlimited MetroCard to a whopping $104.

The MTA board passed a number of other fare hikes, including the following:
  • The cost of one subway ride will go from $2.25 to $2.50 when you buy a single-ride card. Refills on existing cards will remain at $2.25 per ride.
  • The seven-day card will go from $27 to $29.
  • One-day and 14-day unlimited ride cards will be eliminated.
  • Purchasing a new MetroCard instead of refilling an existing card will cost $1.
The hikes will go into effect Dec. 30. The changes will net the MTA an anticipated 7.5 percent in revenue.

"I would rather have expensive fares than no service," said MTA board member Susan Metzger, who voted yes for the fare hike.

Frustrated straphangers and MTA employees attacked the board at the public meeting on Thursday morning, accusing members of being oblivious to the needs of New York City commuters.

"Never have I seen the anger higher at this board of rich people who don’t even ride their own transit system," said Marty Goodman, an MTA station agent.

MTA Chairman and CEO Jay Walder defended the vote, saying the board had no other choice but to raise fares.

"I would certainly accept that some of these actions were painful for our customers and employees," Walder said.

"While we all know that the state revenues fell far short of what was projected, we here at this board and at this company have taken extraordinary measures to stick to our side of the deal and bring in 7.5 percent in revenue."

Some board members spoke out openly against the vote, including nonvoting member Andrew Albert.

"We should be rewarding our best customers for being our best customers, and instead we’re punishing them," Albert said.

Riders were furious when they heard the news.

"I think there are better ways of [balancing] the budget than than raising fares," said 20-year-old Anastasia Bana as she waited for the train in Rockfeller Center. "There's no need to buy all the new trains that we can't even use in rush hours."

"It makes me wonder if the MTA people have ever taken trains."

Even board members seemed exhausted after the vote.

On the elevator down in the MTA building, board member Patrick Foye shook his head sadly at a reporter.

"Well that was fun, wasn't it?" he said.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20101007/midtown/mta-votes-yes-on-fare-hikes#ixzz11guiIFFL

http://bottledgoose.net/gifs/supernatural-****indone.gif    
images

The only way to boycott the MTA, is NY'ers will have to use Bikes as there mean of transportation, carpooling will work but that's a little inconvenient. BIKES PEOPLE COP A BIKE, If you high class balling cop a car.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

CA>NY

Nah, I'm from the Bay and NY is definitely winning in the transportation department even with these fare hikes. MUNI is cool but what about the rest of the Bay Area? BART fares are RIDICULOUS. 
sick.gif
 No monthly passes. It costs like $8 roundtrip to cross the bay. Bridge toll 
sick.gif
 It's at what? $6 now?
I remember how earlier this decade MUNI was only $0.35 for youth 
pimp.gif
 I thought the increase to $0.50 was outrageous 
laugh.gif
 Now it's $0.75 
sick.gif
Lol I didn't say it's better than NYC, I'm just saying ours is better than SoCal's. Hell yeah BART is $*$!$+! high, I wish BART, AC Transit, Muni, Samtrans, and Caltrain all had one freaking unlimited pass and not that Clipper *%%#++!%, I would drop a $100 for that because I go everywhere in the bay because I have friends from San Jo to Richmond. That Clipper +@@* is basically like having a damn debit card for transportation with some small discount.

Originally Posted by Kn0wledgeable

Get a car. I already got mine. Next year copping my bike. Boycotted mta. Y'all should join the movement

How is getting a car a better idea? Between insurance/gas/parking/general maintenance, that's going to run you much more than the monthly pass. 

Now bike, that's more understandable.

Excluding insurance... I pay less per month on a car than I would paying for a monthly metro. That's real talk. As long that you don't have a car that eats up gas like it's obese then you good. Not only that. But I've saved so much time Driving and not dealing with the stupid delays that happen every single week. Time is one thing that u can never have back. Some delays last more than half an hour. No thanks. Plus I don't have to walk into a train or bus and squeeze myself in when it's full. With the whip I enjoy my space, get to blast music, I can do whatever I want. Next year my insurance is going down so it's going to be interesting how much I end up paying per month.But If I was to have a motorcycle, which I will next year, I would be so nice.People don't understand that the mta will always raise prices every couple of years. All people do is complain but they don't do anything about it. Some people think about alternative ways to get around but the majority of people don't do anything. It's pretty obvious the mta is overspending their budget by the way. These guys make billions of dollars per month! They make money off of tolls, buses, trains, ads, etc. Yet they still have the balls to raise prices. Rich get richer. Poor get poorer.

Get a car. I already got mine. Next year copping my bike. Boycotted mta. Y'all should join the movement

How is getting a car a better idea? Between insurance/gas/parking/general maintenance, that's going to run you much more than the monthly pass. 

Now bike, that's more understandable.

Excluding insurance... I pay less per month on a car than I would paying for a monthly metro. That's real talk. As long that you don't have a car that eats up gas like it's obese then you good. Not only that. But I've saved so much time Driving and not dealing with the stupid delays that happen every single week. Time is one thing that u can never have back. Some delays last more than half an hour. No thanks. Plus I don't have to walk into a train or bus and squeeze myself in when it's full. With the whip I enjoy my space, get to blast music, I can do whatever I want. Next year my insurance is going down so it's going to be interesting how much I end up paying per month.But If I was to have a motorcycle, which I will next year, I would be so nice.People don't understand that the mta will always raise prices every couple of years. All people do is complain but they don't do anything about it. Some people think about alternative ways to get around but the majority of people don't do anything. It's pretty obvious the mta is overspending their budget by the way. These guys make billions of dollars per month! They make money off of tolls, buses, trains, ads, etc. Yet they still have the balls to raise prices. Rich get richer. Poor get poorer.

you can't exclude insurance though
laugh.gif

If single rides are staying at $2.25 I don't mind. I only take the train twice a day M-F, monthly just doesn't add up for me. It's cheaper for me to put in $20 a week, get the bonus and I'm pretty much only dropping $80 for the month. Every now and then I'll take the train more if I'm drinking in the city and bar hopping, just not enough to suffice dropping the cash for monthly.

Another glaring example of poor American infrastructure. The subway trains here are almost prehistoric compared to Europe or Asia. This country is a joke.

I'm a junior in high school...I worry for the younger generation because they won't have student metro cards.

$104 for a month?!?!

I recently bought a bus pass because I was tired of spending on gas and I paid $92 for an entire semester w/ express service. Thanks to my skateboard and bus pass I am saving a lot of money and getting some exercise. You guys in NY are getting robbed. Buy a damn bike

????????????????????????
It's still dirt cheap considering the alternatives. 

The problem is that there is no way to charge for distance. Some people are getting more than their money's worth while others are not. 

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

$104 for a month?!?!

I recently bought a bus pass because I was tired of spending on gas and I paid $92 for an entire semester w/ express service. Thanks to my skateboard and bus pass I am saving a lot of money and getting some exercise. You guys in NY are getting robbed. Buy a damn bike

Where do you live?

Originally Posted by Mr718

Originally Posted by l Knicks Fresh Knick l

I hate MTA...

worst service, pay increase, PACKED AS hell..

luckly i gotta younger brother that hooks it up with that school metro..

call me what you want, but that #!%% is 80 something $ a month saved

I seen plenty of people get bagged in the subway using someone elses student metro
laugh.gif

you gotta be a smoooth criminal.. been using these careds for the past 4yrs. haven't got bagged once (knocks on wood)

F them crooks at MTA. knowing what you doing for the win

Back
Top Bottom