MTV 2008 "Hottest MC's In The Game" List

Honorable Mentions

These guys may not have made the top 10 "Hottest MCs" list for one reason or another, but they have impacted the game during the past severalmonths. And while everyone's goal is to make it to the roundtable's controversial ranking board, an honorable mention is nothing to sneeze at. Just askLupe Fiasco, who told us he was so hurt by not getting a mention last yearthat he wanted nothing to do with this year's list. (We named him #7 anyway.)

Soulja Boy Tell'em

He gets criticized often because of his lyrical deficiency, but somebody is buying into Soulja Boy. The 17-year-old's shows stay packed, his album is platinum, andhe's sold well over 3 million ringtone downloads. "Crank That" triumphed not only as a single, but as a worldwide dance phenomenon. What otherrapper do you know that could make your grandma - no, bump that - make Denzel Washington lose his Frank Lucas cool and start doing the"Superman"? Adolescents approved his follow-ups, "Yahhh!" and "Soulja Girl," which ensured that he won't be considered aone-hit boy wonder, at least not by anyone under age 20.

Shawty Lo

He's got so much swag, you have to give him his own set at the club right now. The original was crazy; the remix was the best of the year. ShawtyLo's "Dey Know" made him an automatic street favorite from Bankhead to Brooklyn. Following up with "Dunn Dunn" and "Foolish,"he showed his mastery of street anthems. While Lo has had no problem making the dance floor quiver, we're still waiting to see how he holds up in hisbrewing feud with the battle-tested T.I.

The Game

Audacious and awesome, the Game is a perennial top 10 ... that is, when he puts out material. The Compton slayer has been relatively inactive since placing #3 on the 2007 list. If "Pain," a tremendous homage to his hip-hopheroes, would have been out a little sooner, his name certainly would have been argued as a "Hottest" must-have.

Webbie

Don't put too much thought into it. Get dressed, go to the club and dance to Webbie. He has one of the most entertaining movements going right now withLil' Boosie and their Trill Fam, and they're doing it on their own. "Independent" was huge, and Web's Savage Life 2 sold closeto 100,000 copies in the first week without being a cog in a major-label machine.

Fabolous

Fabolous narrowly missed being in the top 10 again. It's not for lack of lyrics though. He's been wingtip-sharp on a myriad of guest spots from RedCafe's "Paper Touchin" remix (the references to "The Wire" are insane) to DJ Felli Fel's "Finer Things."

Flo Rida

It's funny how all those comparisons to Nelly died down once "Low" started making history. The song set the record for the most downloads inone week, and Flo became the first hip-hop artist to have a debut single go #1 on the charts. Now we know he can make a hit; the big test is if he'll havelongevity too.

Plies

It looks like Plies is going to have a special career. He has something that's better than lyrics, better than swag: He's felt! The Floridanative's pragmatic presence has translated into a swell of underground support. With the "Bust It Baby" remix taking off commercially, hislong-deserved breakthrough is on the horizon.

Ludacris

'Cris will make the top 10 of the "Hottest MCs" list. It's inevitable. Somewhere down the line, a guy as talented as Luda has to be rankedas the Hottest in the Game. Since 2007, he's done cameos for Shawty Lo, Gucci Mane, DJ Khaled and Gucci Mane among others. If you asked members of theBrain Trust, plenty are betting that his upcoming Theater of the Mind solidifies his spot in the next set of top 10s.

Fat Joe

Elephant in the Room was one of his most consistent LPs, and Joey Crack even started to spread his wings internationally. Not to mention the factthat Coca Baby was able to stand up to 50 Cent in a heated Internet beef. For awhile, it looked like Joe just might be able to work his way into the top 10, but it was way too long of a lull between the peak of his first single "IWon't Tell" and the release of a second, "You Ain't Sayin' Nothin'."

Joe Budden

Joey Jump-Off has possibly the best mixtape of the year thus far with Mood Muzik III. And though Budden has kept fans waiting for years for hisnext official LP, his MM series has kept his name in the back of everyone's mind when they think of the best pure wordsmiths.

Rocko

He did him, all right. "Umma Do Me" introduced Rocko to the masses with one of the most soil-rich themes of the year. The Brain Trust needs tohear a little more before placing him among the elite, however.

Prodigy

P is making more noise behind bars than a lot of MCs who are walking free in the world. On his blog, he's done everything from critique his peers toblast the government and police in the wake of the Sean Bell murder trial. For a guy who people said was done, he still knows how to pique interest - maybe not50 Cent's or Jay-Z's level of interest, but Prodigy has had a swell of support. H.N.I.C. Pt. 2 is a near classic, though it's stillundiscovered by many.

Gucci Mane

Gucci is a classic example of an overachiever. He's not known for having the best lyrics, or even the best swag, but he is making the most of what hehas. Anthems such as "16 Fever" and "I Might Be" keep coming. And while he may never hit super-mainstream stardom, Gucci seems content tobe lauded in the 'hood.

Styles P

S.P., we love you to death, but you didn't capitalize on your last album as you should have. Super Gangster (Extraordinary Gentleman) was oneof the best solo LPs to come from the D-Block family, and definitely the best of the Ghost's career, but there was no follow-up to the street-heater"Blow Your Mind." "Alone in the Street," "Let's Go" or even "Holiday" could have all been well-received singles andvideos, but nada.

Bun B

You can't talk about a "Hottest" list without at least bringing this Texas legend's name up in the conversation. Bun is Bun, a timelessspitter who has always been able to maintain respect and fan devotion, no matter what the musical climate is. We cried with him when he lost his longtimepartner Pimp , and now we're applauding him as he carries on with his life and career.

YEP!!! ROSS made the list that's what i'm talkin bout

Ye # 1
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by solesavage

solesavage wrote: the cats who created that list hold no credibility, except for maybe a few. I watched some of it the other night and dudes were arguing about adding Souljah Boy on that list, over Andre 3000 and T.I. and thats when I changed the channel.

again,

HOTTEST

not best

everyone with a brain and common sense knows 3 Stacks and Souljah Boy can't even be compared...we're talking hot as in the buzz they have, not who's better than who...

Did I miss something here? Soujah boy had one hit song(which to any grown man was terrible) and all of a sudden he is considered the HOTTEST MC in the game? He shouldnt even have been brought up, he's a joke, came up with one catchy song and silly looking dance and all of a sudden he should be considered the hottest? at least all the other mcs on that list carry substance in their rhymes, with the exception of Lil'Wayne.

you're acting like i'm defending his music or something...i don't listen to that nonsense, but he does fit in today's category of"rap"

that souljah boy joint was everywhere, song was a hit worldwide homie (he also yahh trick and souljah girl, and neither did bad)...his album is nearingplatinum status and Crank Dat has the most parodies on youtube...you're still talking about rhymes and substance...whether you like the dance or not, itcaught on quick with the teeny boppers and guess what? MTV caters to these people...

Joe Budden dropped arguably the best mixtape of the year late last year but did he get mentioned? NO...the mainstream doesn't pay attention to JoeBudden, but he's easily better than half of the people mentioned on that list...again, it's MC's who actually had hit records and/or kept theirnames relevant...whether it be in the news or through music.

btw, no one is considering souljah boy the hottest MC either...MTV left himoff the list and i never said he should be there.

I don't see why any body who appreciates good lyrics, delivery and music as whole who even pay attention to this list. Its MTV , you all know what toexpect, especially after last years list. Its just a popularity contest.

Rap is at a cross roads right now. The youth are less creative and not to many really know about the struggle..True story.
These dudes are so predictable and Corny. It has more to do with the less of the struggle and the we got it made syndrome. The hip hop culture is about to missthe boat.

Originally Posted by doyung9

1. Kanye (#1 tour. #1 album. = #1)
2. Jay (#2 tour. Underrated album =#2)
3. 50 Cent (thisis50.com, both g-unit tapes, and as far as haters, the amount he has now is the same as always....plus he still goes plat.)
4. Lil' Wayne (only reason he's below 50 is SLOWLY, the tides are starting to turn against him. has ALOT riding on TCIII)
5. Lupe Fiasco (despite mediocre album sales, he's opening for the #1 tour in the country and has a STRONG fan base)
6. Rick Ross - (dude is a miami coke rapper, yet is doing better sales than ^. has about 6-8 better than average tracks. can't take anything from him)
7. Young Jeezy - (Has yet to have an freshman or sophomore slump. features plus the new single with Kanye keep him in the pack)
8. T.I. - (people are still looking for TIP, however his "plea deal" mixed with the Shawty Lo drama has a ton of people turning on him as well)
9. The Clipse (staying relevant with a fan base despite tons of label trouble, with only the help of mixtapes, while Papoose is slowly disappearing in the same situation. Plus CRS feat. Pusha = ecccckkkkk)
10. Plies - (yeah, I know, Plies? But fact of the matter is, when we're talking about hottest rappers RIGHT THIS SECOND, dude is about to put out a 2nd album in a year and change, has steady records in rotation, and his "realness"(? definition of this) is constantly being co-signed.

just my opinion though.

this is a tight list... but idk about clipse being 9... if anything 10... i like clipse but they not THAT hot right now.

The fact that wayne isn't number 1 on the HOTTEST rappers list is laughable. I understand he's not the greatest but there is nobody in rap who is evenclose to being as hot as wayne. Yes a lot of people are better but any igga who could drop a song named "Lollipop" completely stop rappin and takeT-pains career has to show that a lot of people like him.

Originally Posted by youngjordan23

The fact that wayne isn't number 1 on the HOTTEST rappers list is laughable. I understand he's not the greatest but there is nobody in rap who is even close to being as hot as wayne. Yes a lot of people are better but any igga who could drop a song named "Lollipop" completely stop rappin and take T-pains career has to show that a lot of people like him.

you heard the remix to this with ye? lil dubbya got murdered on his own track, how yoiu gonna have the feature outshine you?

I think the list is pretty accurate as far as MC's who are hot in todays industry.
Just not in that order.

Back
Top Bottom