My Future Looking Awful Right Now! Vol...Need some advice(serious only please)

Relax. You'll be fine, seriously, and you'll look back on this time in your life in a few years and laugh at how stressed out you were.

You can get into a university/college, but you need to keep your options open. Don't focus on the name of the school; just focus on getting in somewhere. Your guidance counselor should be able to direct you to some safety colleges.

Relax. You'll be fine, seriously, and you'll look back on this time in your life in a few years and laugh at how stressed out you were.

You can get into a university/college, but you need to keep your options open. Don't focus on the name of the school; just focus on getting in somewhere. Your guidance counselor should be able to direct you to some safety colleges.

Originally Posted by seniosoul

Originally Posted by AZNBALLA23

^Why even enter a thread when you're just gonna troll?
all you doing is *****ing, complaining, and crying like a little princess ... grow some nuts and make your own life decisions.

I mean damn man... look at those blue emocons in your first post... !$$! looks depressing.
I'm just looking for opinions/tips and/or past experiences.

I mean, my life is pretty depressing right now. Fear of no future, shamefulness when family looks at me, etc. I have nothing to be happy about except for my shoe collection and basketball skills.
tired.gif

all you doing is *****ing, complaining, and crying like a little princess ... grow some nuts and make your own life decisions.

I mean damn man... look at those blue emocons in your first post... !$$! looks depressing.
I'm just looking for opinions/tips and/or past experiences.

I mean, my life is pretty depressing right now. Fear of no future, shamefulness when family looks at me, etc. I have nothing to be happy about except for my shoe collection and basketball skills.
tired.gif

Damn, Community college is my last of the last option to be honest. I mean, my family would probably just shun me away
laugh.gif

So there's no way I can get into a school like George Mason University or Virginia Commonwealth even if I had 4.0 my senior year?....Do colleges take into consideration grade improvements(as in my case from 2.3 to 2.8 to 3.4 and maybe to 4.0?...would it make a difference at all?

Thanks for all the tips btw
smile.gif

you can def. get into VCU...

Damn, Community college is my last of the last option to be honest. I mean, my family would probably just shun me away
laugh.gif

So there's no way I can get into a school like George Mason University or Virginia Commonwealth even if I had 4.0 my senior year?....Do colleges take into consideration grade improvements(as in my case from 2.3 to 2.8 to 3.4 and maybe to 4.0?...would it make a difference at all?

smile.gif

you can def. get into VCU...

how you do in high school doesn't have no bearing as to how you will do in college. In high school I had a 4.0+ GPA, it was too $!@%!% easy for me and I never studied. In college, way different story. I struggled quite a bit my first years and now I'm in kinda of a hole. I kept getting straight A's in high school taking all the AP classes offered and I went with that same mentality in college, thinking I'm too smart for this *+% and I'm not gonna have to do much work since I just breezed through high school. I was dead wrong and am facing the consequences. You'll be alright, trust. Just keep working like you have been doing recently. Go to a community college for 2 years and do good, and transfer to a good university. You'll be alright, it's just high school. It looks like you can put in the work when you forced yourself to, just gotta remind yourself to keep pushin. Good Luck

laugh.gif

smile.gif

dudes kill me coming to nt for advice...your counselor gets paid to advise you on things like this, take advantage of his/her services

laugh.gif

smile.gif

dudes kill me coming to nt for advice...your counselor gets paid to advise you on things like this, take advantage of his/her services

how you do in high school doesn't have no bearing as to how you will do in college. In high school I had a 4.0+ GPA, it was too $!@%!% easy for me and I never studied. In college, way different story. I struggled quite a bit my first years and now I'm in kinda of a hole. I kept getting straight A's in high school taking all the AP classes offered and I went with that same mentality in college, thinking I'm too smart for this *+% and I'm not gonna have to do much work since I just breezed through high school. I was dead wrong and am facing the consequences. You'll be alright, trust. Just keep working like you have been doing recently. Go to a community college for 2 years and do good, and transfer to a good university. You'll be alright, it's just high school. It looks like you can put in the work when you forced yourself to, just gotta remind yourself to keep pushin. Good Luck

Work as hard as you can. Focus on the SAT's a second time. Take a course if it's in your budget. If not, take the ACT as well.

Your counselor should be able to help you out, think of some non-traditional four yr schools that you could use a springboard to a school that you really want to go to. I say go away to school instead of a CC, because you might get comfortable in your routine & never leave.

However, since you are in this situation, you want to know what you're looking for in a school, and express that interest.

Colleges do take into consideration, increases in grades. If VCU is a school you're really interested in, go to open houses, meet counselors. You have to put the effort in to get them to notice you or take a chance on you

Work as hard as you can. Focus on the SAT's a second time. Take a course if it's in your budget. If not, take the ACT as well.

Your counselor should be able to help you out, think of some non-traditional four yr schools that you could use a springboard to a school that you really want to go to. I say go away to school instead of a CC, because you might get comfortable in your routine & never leave.

However, since you are in this situation, you want to know what you're looking for in a school, and express that interest.

Colleges do take into consideration, increases in grades. If VCU is a school you're really interested in, go to open houses, meet counselors. You have to put the effort in to get them to notice you or take a chance on you

laugh.gif

smile.gif

Just apply to them and a few other back up schools.  If you're set on going to one of those two colleges then just go to a community college and transfer.  Trust me, you're not gonna get into any Ivy Leagues for undergrad, so doing your bachelors at a University (state funded) or private college (ie: USC, Pacific, Oregon, ect...) is the next best thing.  As long as you keep your GPA up in college then I'm sure you'll get into a prestigious school for your masters...

laugh.gif

smile.gif

Just apply to them and a few other back up schools.  If you're set on going to one of those two colleges then just go to a community college and transfer.  Trust me, you're not gonna get into any Ivy Leagues for undergrad, so doing your bachelors at a University (state funded) or private college (ie: USC, Pacific, Oregon, ect...) is the next best thing.  As long as you keep your GPA up in college then I'm sure you'll get into a prestigious school for your masters...

you lame b. i hate people like you who go to school for reasons (fear of shame from family, in your case) other than for self-improvement.

if you're entering senior year with a 2.79, most likely you won't get into any prestigious school unless you get your SAT scores up and wow the committee with your personal statement(s). go to a JC for 2 years and transfer.

you lame b. i hate people like you who go to school for reasons (fear of shame from family, in your case) other than for self-improvement.

if you're entering senior year with a 2.79, most likely you won't get into any prestigious school unless you get your SAT scores up and wow the committee with your personal statement(s). go to a JC for 2 years and transfer.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Nah, the main reason why I go to school is so I can get a better future.
ohwell.gif

Thanks for all the inputs guys
smile.gif
...and is transferring from a CC to a descent college really as easy as everyone says? Like I ball with dudes that say they go to UVA/VATech,etc, after transferring from a community college. Then I'm like
eek.gif
. Do business companies still look at it(transferring after 2 years of CC) the same as if you had went to the good college through all the years?

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Nah, the main reason why I go to school is so I can get a better future.
ohwell.gif

Thanks for all the inputs guys
smile.gif
...and is transferring from a CC to a descent college really as easy as everyone says? Like I ball with dudes that say they go to UVA/VATech,etc, after transferring from a community college. Then I'm like
eek.gif
. Do business companies still look at it(transferring after 2 years of CC) the same as if you had went to the good college through all the years?

Deal with the choices you made during high school. Not caring, goofing off, spending most of your time to be a "balla" probably led you to where you are right now. Trust me, this is an all-valuable lesson that will teach you in the future to actually give a F instead of not giving a rat's @$%*. Hopefully when you're in college and look back on high school, you won't be trying too hard to stunt and cast academics off as nothing. Shoo, I really do hate those kids that waste their time away in school trying to be cool and worry too much about being in "the" clique instead of devoting that time to their academics. When you're actually IN college, then you can do all that with very, very, very few repercussions. Trust, it's demoralizing when you can't even get into a half-%%% college but if you truly care, the crown is always for there for your taking -- your arms just have to keep on growing and reaching for it.

As for real advice, don't come to NT for that type of stuff. When applying for schools, be real, save your money, and apply to State schools. With them grades you have, i doubt even mediocre private schools would be taking you in. Like everyone said, try for a community college or state university and try to prove to your dream schools that you have the potential to belong there. It's a good challenge so stay on top of it. You have a lot of work to do for the next 3+ years son. Good luck.

Deal with the choices you made during high school. Not caring, goofing off, spending most of your time to be a "balla" probably led you to where you are right now. Trust me, this is an all-valuable lesson that will teach you in the future to actually give a F instead of not giving a rat's @$%*. Hopefully when you're in college and look back on high school, you won't be trying too hard to stunt and cast academics off as nothing. Shoo, I really do hate those kids that waste their time away in school trying to be cool and worry too much about being in "the" clique instead of devoting that time to their academics. When you're actually IN college, then you can do all that with very, very, very few repercussions. Trust, it's demoralizing when you can't even get into a half-%%% college but if you truly care, the crown is always for there for your taking -- your arms just have to keep on growing and reaching for it.

As for real advice, don't come to NT for that type of stuff. When applying for schools, be real, save your money, and apply to State schools. With them grades you have, i doubt even mediocre private schools would be taking you in. Like everyone said, try for a community college or state university and try to prove to your dream schools that you have the potential to belong there. It's a good challenge so stay on top of it. You have a lot of work to do for the next 3+ years son. Good luck.

I know plenty of undergrads volunteering in my lab that went to a community college first and transitioned to places like UC Berkeley, UCD, etc... and are now looking at MD or PhD programs and are doing good enough to get in.

So my suggestions... Keep your head up, play with the cards you have been dealt (or have pulled out the deck yourself), and go to a community college first. CC is like a fresh start. Get a 4.0 there and do some undergrad research or something and you will be good.

I know plenty of undergrads volunteering in my lab that went to a community college first and transitioned to places like UC Berkeley, UCD, etc... and are now looking at MD or PhD programs and are doing good enough to get in.

So my suggestions... Keep your head up, play with the cards you have been dealt (or have pulled out the deck yourself), and go to a community college first. CC is like a fresh start. Get a 4.0 there and do some undergrad research or something and you will be good.

Back
Top Bottom