My Future Looking Awful Right Now! Vol...Need some advice(serious only please)

You from VA? And no, George Mason won't accept that. You atleast have to hava 3.3 and a good/great SAT score for mason to accept you. Just go to NoVa and get ur AA/AS and transfer. Learn from your mistakes and do better once you get into college.

You from VA? And no, George Mason won't accept that. You atleast have to hava 3.3 and a good/great SAT score for mason to accept you. Just go to NoVa and get ur AA/AS and transfer. Learn from your mistakes and do better once you get into college.

*sees your asian*

man your parents are gonna kill you
laugh.gif

i know a lot of people that did average in hs and got into mason or vcu. youre probably better off going to nova and then transferring to vt or uva. cheaper and better degree.

i know a lot of people that did average in hs and got into mason or vcu. youre probably better off going to nova and then transferring to vt or uva. cheaper and better degree.

Originally Posted by mugzbo

Deal with the choices you made during high school. Not caring, goofing off, spending most of your time to be a "balla" probably led you to where you are right now. Trust me, this is an all-valuable lesson that will teach you in the future to actually give a F instead of not giving a rat's @$%*. Hopefully when you're in college and look back on high school, you won't be trying too hard to stunt and cast academics off as nothing. Shoo, I really do hate those kids that waste their time away in school trying to be cool and worry too much about being in "the" clique instead of devoting that time to their academics. When you're actually IN college, then you can do all that with very, very, very few repercussions. Trust, it's demoralizing when you can't even get into a half-%%% college but if you truly care, the crown is always for there for your taking -- your arms just have to keep on growing and reaching for it.

As for real advice, don't come to NT for that type of stuff. When applying for schools, be real, save your money, and apply to State schools. With them grades you have, i doubt even mediocre private schools would be taking you in. Like everyone said, try for a community college or state university and try to prove to your dream schools that you have the potential to belong there. It's a good challenge so stay on top of it. You have a lot of work to do for the next 3+ years son. Good luck.
I agree with this post. That is why I'm so mad/disappointed at myself now(when it might be too late/taking the harder route).

I'm in VA, and only plan to go to in-state schools because they're a lot cheaper, the only problem is that the good schools(UVA,VTech,JMU,William&Mary...etc) are all so damn hard to get into. Then you get average schools like Mason or VCU, which I have a very slim to none chance of getting into with my current grades. Then, you have below average schools like Old Dominion and Radford, which I know I can get into, but they will just be a waste of money since it really won't be beneficial in finding a descent job.
ohwell.gif

Why did I think the thread title said "My Future Wife is Looking Awful Right Now"

laugh.gif

*exits thread*

Originally Posted by mugzbo

Deal with the choices you made during high school. Not caring, goofing off, spending most of your time to be a "balla" probably led you to where you are right now. Trust me, this is an all-valuable lesson that will teach you in the future to actually give a F instead of not giving a rat's @$%*. Hopefully when you're in college and look back on high school, you won't be trying too hard to stunt and cast academics off as nothing. Shoo, I really do hate those kids that waste their time away in school trying to be cool and worry too much about being in "the" clique instead of devoting that time to their academics. When you're actually IN college, then you can do all that with very, very, very few repercussions. Trust, it's demoralizing when you can't even get into a half-%%% college but if you truly care, the crown is always for there for your taking -- your arms just have to keep on growing and reaching for it.

As for real advice, don't come to NT for that type of stuff. When applying for schools, be real, save your money, and apply to State schools. With them grades you have, i doubt even mediocre private schools would be taking you in. Like everyone said, try for a community college or state university and try to prove to your dream schools that you have the potential to belong there. It's a good challenge so stay on top of it. You have a lot of work to do for the next 3+ years son. Good luck.
I agree with this post. That is why I'm so mad/disappointed at myself now(when it might be too late/taking the harder route).

I'm in VA, and only plan to go to in-state schools because they're a lot cheaper, the only problem is that the good schools(UVA,VTech,JMU,William&Mary...etc) are all so damn hard to get into. Then you get average schools like Mason or VCU, which I have a very slim to none chance of getting into with my current grades. Then, you have below average schools like Old Dominion and Radford, which I know I can get into, but they will just be a waste of money since it really won't be beneficial in finding a descent job.
ohwell.gif

Why did I think the thread title said "My Future Wife is Looking Awful Right Now"

laugh.gif

*exits thread*

I thought I was going to read something about a dude having a mid life crisis, not about a kid in high school with a 2.8 gpa. Son you have a long ways to go, I got into Oregon State with a 2.9 but my SAT was like 1240(before they added the writing portion, so that was a decently high score). After 2 years there I got academically suspended and have been out 3 years !%+#@$! around at a community college, and have been unemployed most of the time. Now I am finally getting my %*$$ together and trying to get into nursing school, but I have a long was to go before I start feeling like I am in a good place.

I thought I was going to read something about a dude having a mid life crisis, not about a kid in high school with a 2.8 gpa. Son you have a long ways to go, I got into Oregon State with a 2.9 but my SAT was like 1240(before they added the writing portion, so that was a decently high score). After 2 years there I got academically suspended and have been out 3 years !%+#@$! around at a community college, and have been unemployed most of the time. Now I am finally getting my %*$$ together and trying to get into nursing school, but I have a long was to go before I start feeling like I am in a good place.

Originally Posted by AZNBALLA23

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

you lame b. i hate people like you who go to school for reasons (fear of shame from family, in your case) other than for self-improvement.

if you're entering senior year with a 2.79, most likely you won't get into any prestigious school unless you get your SAT scores up and wow the committee with your personal statement(s). go to a JC for 2 years and transfer.
Nah, the main reason why I go to school is so I can get a better future.
ohwell.gif

Thanks for all the inputs guys
smile.gif
...and is transferring from a CC to a descent college really as easy as everyone says? Like I ball with dudes that say they go to UVA/VATech,etc, after transferring from a community college. Then I'm like
eek.gif
. Do business companies still look at it(transferring after 2 years of CC) the same as if you had went to the good college through all the years?

if you get an associates from an Virginia Community College you get into any university automatically...thats if you get the associates...if your grades are straight i see no reason why you can't get into any of those schools even if you dont get an associates...

VCU isn't that hard to get into...at least it wasn't when i applied...i don't even remember what my GPA was so i could be lying

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

you lame b. i hate people like you who go to school for reasons (fear of shame from family, in your case) other than for self-improvement.

if you're entering senior year with a 2.79, most likely you won't get into any prestigious school unless you get your SAT scores up and wow the committee with your personal statement(s). go to a JC for 2 years and transfer.
Nah, the main reason why I go to school is so I can get a better future.
ohwell.gif

Thanks for all the inputs guys
smile.gif
...and is transferring from a CC to a descent college really as easy as everyone says? Like I ball with dudes that say they go to UVA/VATech,etc, after transferring from a community college. Then I'm like
eek.gif
. Do business companies still look at it(transferring after 2 years of CC) the same as if you had went to the good college through all the years?

if you get an associates from an Virginia Community College you get into any university automatically...thats if you get the associates...if your grades are straight i see no reason why you can't get into any of those schools even if you dont get an associates...

VCU isn't that hard to get into...at least it wasn't when i applied...i don't even remember what my GPA was so i could be lying

I stopped taking this serious after I read you were still in high school...smh
Just go to community college for a year or so and keep that GPA high...

Tell your parents your trying to save them money by going the CC route...

I stopped taking this serious after I read you were still in high school...smh
Just go to community college for a year or so and keep that GPA high...

Tell your parents your trying to save them money by going the CC route...

Originally Posted by airblaster503

I thought I was going to read something about a dude having a mid life crisis, not about a kid in high school with a 2.8 gpa. Son you have a long ways to go, I got into Oregon State with a 2.9 but my SAT was like 1640(before they added the writing portion, so that was a decently high score). After 2 years there I got academically suspended and have been out 3 years !%+#@$! around at a community college, and have been unemployed most of the time. Now I am finally getting my %*$$ together and trying to get into nursing school, but I have a long was to go before I start feeling like I am in a good place.

roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by airblaster503

I thought I was going to read something about a dude having a mid life crisis, not about a kid in high school with a 2.8 gpa. Son you have a long ways to go, I got into Oregon State with a 2.9 but my SAT was like 1640(before they added the writing portion, so that was a decently high score). After 2 years there I got academically suspended and have been out 3 years !%+#@$! around at a community college, and have been unemployed most of the time. Now I am finally getting my %*$$ together and trying to get into nursing school, but I have a long was to go before I start feeling like I am in a good place.

roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

go to a %$@!!% school then transfer my brother did that and he graduated from vcu after transfering fron %$@!!% norfolk....thats option 1

or nova those are basically your only two options

go to a %$@!!% school then transfer my brother did that and he graduated from vcu after transfering fron %$@!!% norfolk....thats option 1

or nova those are basically your only two options

ohwell.gif
JMU = a good school now? time really must fly....

But realistically, in your situaation now, you won't get into UVA, VT, W&M,W&L, U of R., CNU

You possibly could get into VCU, Longwood. Like everyone has said, if you go to CC and graduate, you get automatic acceptance to any state school.
All employers will see is that you have a degree, and what school gave you that degree.
Don't knock ODU either, depending on what you wanted to do and if you plan on staying in the area, ODU might be better than higher ranked school.

Just remember this, it doesn't matter where you graduate from, your still gonna need an advanced degree/internships/the hook-up.

ohwell.gif
JMU = a good school now? time really must fly....

But realistically, in your situaation now, you won't get into UVA, VT, W&M,W&L, U of R., CNU

You possibly could get into VCU, Longwood. Like everyone has said, if you go to CC and graduate, you get automatic acceptance to any state school.
All employers will see is that you have a degree, and what school gave you that degree.
Don't knock ODU either, depending on what you wanted to do and if you plan on staying in the area, ODU might be better than higher ranked school.

Just remember this, it doesn't matter where you graduate from, your still gonna need an advanced degree/internships/the hook-up.

Don't worry, high school, in the long run, doesn't mean +$%@. Even if you can't make it to a 4-yr college you want, just work hard in JuCo and you can make it that way. Colleges do take grade improvements into consideration (I also had an "upward trend" in my GPA back when I was in HS, went from i think a 3.1 weighted to a 4.2 weighted). My mom used to "threaten" me by saying I'd be going to the local JuCo or UC Riverside (a school Asian parents consider a reject school but in reality is a very good school in its own right) if I didn't change.
laugh.gif
I ended up graduating from UCSD this summer and I have an internship for the time being, so I feel that I did alright, despite feeling like a failure at times in HS. And for me, college classes were actually "easier", in the sense I was more focused and the classes were more focused, which made them easier to study for to me, while in HS I was still figuring it out. So, college is doable even if you didn't do as well in HS.

But the main thing is, I think you're Asian obviously b/c of your screenname, don't let your Asian parents deceive you to believe you're a failure if you don't make it to Harvard or Berkeley right away. As long as you're thinking about your future and you're going to do something about it, you'll be fine and your future will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom