Naya Rivera RIP

So she thrust the kid on the boat with every ounce of energy she had left and then went under water? Come on man

Yall really buying that?

Was this it?

No, but funny enough, that's right across the river from where my Mom lives. It was this...

So she thrust the kid on the boat with every ounce of energy she had left and then went under water? Come on man

Yall really buying that?

What factors influence drowning risk?
The main factors that affect drowning risk are lack of swimming ability, lack of barriers to prevent unsupervised water access, lack of close supervision while swimming, location, failure to wear life jackets, alcohol use, and seizure disorders.

• Failure to Wear Life Jackets: In 2010, the U.S. Coast Guard received reports for 4,604 boating incidents; 3,153 boaters were reported injured, and 672 died. Most (72%) boating deaths that occurred during 2010 were caused by drowning, with 88% of victims not wearing life jackets.

Yes, I really buy that.

Unless one is a trained life guard, swimming while supporting someone else, even a child, is very difficult and tiring. Climbing back into a boat from the water also isn’t always easy and might not be something someone could accomplish when exhausted.

Last edited:
Unless one is a trained life guard, swimming while supporting someone else, even a child, is very difficult and tiring. Climbing back into a boat from the water Alain isn’t always easy and might not be something someone could accomplish when exhausted.

This. Then you add in fear/panic as the boat is pulling away and fatigue sets in...just bad all around.

I don’t think there was any foul play involved, but I do find it “odd” her and her son rented a boat alone. Usually people will bring the kids friends and maybe even a parent along. So much could happen out there.

Unless one is a trained life guard, swimming while supporting someone else, even a child, is very difficult and tiring. Climbing back into a boat from the water also isn’t always easy and might not be something someone could accomplish when exhausted.

And a boat that in this case sounds like wasn't stationary.

She was probably exhausted like you said.

I could see her having to use what little strength she had left to push her son up while urging him to pull himself up and then being completely spent.

Depending on the conditions of the lake and how long they spent swimming/treading water, hypothermia could also come into play.

I don’t think there was any foul play involved, but I do find it “odd” her and her son rented a boat alone. Usually people will bring the kids friends and maybe even a parent along. So much could happen out there.

This wasnt the first time they did that alone.

That just makes it more odd.

Odd isn't even the right word. It's just insane to go out on the open water alone. Generational fisherman will tell you that's flirting with danger.
They were on a lake/reservoir, based on the pics and map size idk if I’d call that open water.

They were on a lake/reservoir, based on the pics and map size idk if I’d call that open water.

That distinction doesn't matter. Open water just refers to water conditions and the associated risks.

Any body of water where you can't reasonably be expected to swim to shore safely constitutes open water. It doesn't matter if it's a massive artificial lake or the ocean.

Yeah I wasn't posting the Wayfair thing to be disrespectful and I definitely wasn't co-signing. I just stumbled across it and posted it. I should've made that more clear :lol:

That distinction doesn't matter. Open water just refers to water conditions and the associated risks.

Any body of water where you can't reasonably be expected to swim to shore safely constitutes open water. It doesn't matter if it's a massive artificial lake or the ocean.
People prob fish alone on that lake every day. Or lakes that size. It looks like it’s not even a mile wide at the widest, which means a half mile to either shore if you are dead center. Idk if I’d call that massive or someone crazy to go out alone on it with a boat. assuming no current or anything to impede swimming, a half mile swim isn’t really that challenging. The mistake she made was not anchoring the ****ing boat.

People prob fish alone on that lake every day. Or lakes that size. It looks like it’s not even a mile wide at the widest, which means a half mile to either shore if you are dead center. Idk if I’d call that massive or someone crazy to go out alone on it with a boat. assuming no current or anything to impede swimming, a half mile swim isn’t really that challenging. The mistake she made was not anchoring the ****ing boat.

I don't know the size of the lake, maybe I think it's bigger than it is but regardless, that's exactly why boating alone is so discouraged. Just one additional person can act as a fail-safe against a potentially fatal mistake.

Back
Top Bottom