NBA 2K10 News Thread (The Game Is OUt)

Originally Posted by copped

MetroKid26 wrote:
gamespot draft combine trailer:

Draft Combine Trailer
It wouldn't allow me to Embed
you guys are impressed with this crap?
laugh.gif
you dudes who are on 2k's jock are like kanye west groupies now...no matter what they do you see no fault....1 year ago this time the hype around 2k9 was HUGE...and they sandbagged us hard...

Just to make things a bit fair...
Originally Posted by Ben Roethlisberger

On 2k10 Draft Combine:

It is 2K9.5 Dev's said that its not going and they couldnt use the same things in NBA2K10. For 1 they are workong on 2K10 still. THis had to be out by july they said. Your going to see a cleaned up verson of 2K9. 2K10 isnt even done yet.

Originally Posted by MetroKid26

Originally Posted by copped

MetroKid26 wrote:
gamespot draft combine trailer:

Draft Combine Trailer
It wouldn't allow me to Embed
you guys are impressed with this crap?
laugh.gif
you dudes who are on 2k's jock are like kanye west groupies now...no matter what they do you see no fault....1 year ago this time the hype around 2k9 was HUGE...and they sandbagged us hard...
Just to make things a bit fair...
Originally Posted by Ben Roethlisberger

On 2k10 Draft Combine:

It is 2K9.5 Dev's said that its not going and they couldnt use the same things in NBA2K10. For 1 they are workong on 2K10 still. THis had to be out by july they said. Your going to see a cleaned up verson of 2K9. 2K10 isnt even done yet.

i hope so...there you go...it shoulda been out in july and pushed back until august 26th...they keep dropping the ball...regardless cant wait forit to drop...

IGN: NBA 2K10 Preview
[h1]NBA 2K10 Hands-on[/h1]

[h2]The king of the court has returned for another season.[/h2]

by Nate Ahearn

August 19, 2009 - The NBA 2K series has been pummeling NBA Live into the ground over the last few years. There's no doubt that Live is looking stronger than it has in a long while this season, but NBA 2K is aiming to raise the bar even higher with NBA 2K10. I recently spent some time at Visual Concepts to get my hands on a preview build of the game. And yes, I beat both developers that I played - though they always go easy on us journos.

The first and probably most important new addition to the 2K formula is called NBA Today. It's both a small mode in the game and a feature that permeates just about every other game you'll play. From the main menu clicking on NBA Today will bring you to a list of real NBA games that are set to take place. For our purposes - and since the NBA season hasn't started yet - we were treated to a list of pre-season games. NBA Today not only keeps up with the current NBA schedule, but it also has an effect on things like franchise mode.

NBA Today influences what you hear from the commentators in NBA 2K10. Say, for instance, you're nearing the All-Star Game in your franchise. Prior to the break you'll hear Clark Kellogg and company referencing who's on the starting lineup or if anyone from your team made the squad. They'll also talk about your chances of making the playoffs and other aspects of your franchise.

Another feature addition that changes gameplay a bit is a partnership with 82games.com, a site that tracks an incredible amount of statistics throughout the NBA. It goes beyond how many points and rebounds each player gets a night. 2K Sports is using data such as how often players shoot when coming off screens, how they get to the right position to use a screen and how often they make certain cuts to the basket and where those cuts are made. The detail even goes as far as to gauge a player's head position while driving to the basket. This data will be used to accentuate and advance the typical Signature Play that the series has become known for. 2K is adding 36 new tendencies to the game that will be used by the AI to bring the action closer to reality.

And yes, you'll still find the uber-detailed signature dribbling types and specific jump shots for the top tier players in the league.

The biggest addition in the way of substantive game modes is undoubtedly My Player, the game's single-player career mode. You can create your baller in either NBA 2K10: Draft Combine and import that player into the full retail release of 2K10 or you can create one using the same player creation tool that's included in the regular game. From there you'll be drafted (2K is hoping to get audio from David Stern for use in the draft portion of the game) and from there you're off to the summer leagues to hone your skills. There are six games and six drills that you'll need to complete and, if you're good enough to survive the cut days, you'll make your team's NBA roster. If you're not, then you'll be sent down to your club's D League team, all of which are in this year's game.

Chances are you'll start off on the bench for your NBA team. Here you have the option to either watch the game in real time, watch a quicker simulation screen that follows the action or jump ahead to when you're actually being subbed in.

There are no agent signings or contract negotiation talks in this year's version of My Player. It's something that might be added in NBA 2K11, but it's absent for now. As you progress in your career you'll obviously want to improve your skills. To do this you'll need to meet requirements for each game which will earn you skill points and you can also complete career milestones. These include breaking Kareem's all-time points record and getting your first triple-double, among others. Along your journey through your career you'll be getting advice from the 2K Insider, the same that's in Draft Combine. And, in case you're wondering, once you reach around age 38, you'll start getting the option to retire. At that point increasing your attributes will be very difficult and I'm told that a typical retirement age is in your early 40s.

I didn't get a chance to play the new My Player mode in my visit to Visual Concepts, so I'll be doing a much deeper hands-on with that mode once we have a build here in the office.

The standard gameplay is something that I spent quite a bit of time with and I noticed some significant changes to the core mechanics. For starters, IsoMotion, the dribbling mechanic that governs how you handle the rock, has been simplified. The developers felt as though the old IsoMotion was a bit too inaccessible, so they've gone to great lengths to ease players into it. Now the left trigger is all you'll need to execute IsoMotion moves. The right trigger opens up a few more advanced dribbles, but the left trigger should be your focus. I was able to easily pull off crossovers, spin moves and size up moves using the new mechanics. Even the likes of Monta Ellis was able to cut and weave his way through the defense for a 20+ point performance.

Another big change is the use of turbo. If there's one thing that too many players abused in years past, it was the turbo button (myself included). This year you'll need to use turbo very sparingly. Holding down on the right trigger will not only deplete the new on-screen turbo meter, but your overall energy will also drop. If you're out of turbo but you're still mashing on the right trigger, then your overall energy will start to really take a dive. Using lock-on defense also depletes your turbo meter because you're playing much more aggressively, but not quite as much as holding down on the trigger. This year lock-on defense is designed to be able to force the offensive player in different directions along with getting up in their face and being a constant annoyance when they have the ball. Let's just hope Shaq can't guard Steve Nash this time around.

Post play has also seen refinements. The use of the right stick is absolutely essential if you're going to find success in the post. Once you discover the intricacies of how to use the right stick, scoring in the post should be a snap, despite a new emphasis on being able to block shots. Moving the right stick to the right and holding it will cause your player to spin to the right and launch a shot. Flicking to the right and then holding to the left will cause them to fake to the right then shoot to the left. It was a little tough for me to get the hang of it at first, but once I wrapped my head around it Dwight Howard was a force to be reckoned with. I was able to use the left trigger as a modifier for quick moves while the right trigger is used for a power move to the basket.

Playcalling is a bit different than it has been. While you still access the playcalling menu by pressing right on the d-pad, you'll now have the ability to access a slew of different plays arranged by position. While playing as Golden State I constantly used the Iso play to clear space for Monta Ellis to make a drive to the basket and had the same done to me by Chris Paul (who the announcers were constantly comparing to Isiah Thomas).

Another small detail that many fans will enjoy is the ability to save and quit out of a game and return to it later. It might sound minute but it's amazingly significant if someone is nagging you to get out the door and you're in the second-quarter of a playoff game.

Being that basketball is a team sport, last year's NBA 2K9 introduced Team Up gameplay where five players from across the nation could take on another five blokes on the other side of the country. This year Team Up is seeing some notable additions. Much like in My Player, every action that you make on the court will be judged and graded. Last year 2K9 featured too many players just following the ball. It all looked like a group of headless chickens running around. If you do that this year then your teammate rating will take a nosedive and you'll be left out in the cold with no one to play with. This is all in an effort to create more realistic spacing during online games, something that developers also applied to AI behaviors while balling solo.

Defensive help rotations were said to be added, but they didn't make many appearances in the build that I played. I constantly found open lanes to the basket with no rotating center there to stop me. I'm hoping that the refined AI that I was promised makes it in time for the October ship date.

I had a great time playing NBA 2K10, but the visuals still needed some improvements. I was told that the build I was seeing was a submission build so many of the texture filters and effects had been turned off to solidify the framerate. Hopefully once the switch is flipped things will have the required sheen that I'm used to. I saw players skin clipping through jerseys and their eyes were affixed to a far off space where something very entertaining was apparently happening. Player's faces looked good thanks to technology from ImageMetrics (the same blokes that did GTA IV's faces) but the textures on players' bodies looked too rigid to have the usual look of realism. Here's hoping that these issues were due to the build I was playing and not because of problems that are permanently installed.

NBA 2K10 is bringing a lot of game this year. The gameplay feels more realistic than ever because of many of the refinements that have been made to the overall formula. I liked the new dribbling and the new, more realistic turbo mechanic, as well as the new post moves. Animations look great (probably because they dumped every move that was pre-2K8) and players move wonderfully on the court. Now if only the overall graphical presentation could be brought up to the same level.

We'll be taking a deeper look at both My Player and Franchise Mode in the near future, so keep an eye on IGN.com for those details. NBA 2K10 is scheduled to launch on October 6 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

BEAN!!! It actually looks more like him this time
that player model is one of the best I've seen, It look more like him than that pic they used for the cover.

most of these things are STILL prevalent when your turn 2k9 on right now....the only thing it had going for itself was live gameplay + graphics were sub-par to 2k9s...this is coming from someone who has played both games..

9c715a4468eac1afe60cfed0d2ea701f1e1996e.gif

Ummmmmmm.......

aint that the point?

the way the damn game plays?

the hell else am i buying a basketball game for?

willing to bet it'll play the exact same as 2k9 with extra gimmicky commentary and useless features.

shame they havent even fixed rotations on defense which was a big problem in 2k9. also they need to add shot blocking animations in the paint. it'simpossible to stop post-up/in the paint buckets.

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

most of these things are STILL prevalent when your turn 2k9 on right now....the only thing it had going for itself was live gameplay + graphics were sub-par to 2k9s...this is coming from someone who has played both games..

9c715a4468eac1afe60cfed0d2ea701f1e1996e.gif

Ummmmmmm.......

aint that the point?

the way the damn game plays?

the hell else am i buying a basketball game for?

I know. Dudes got it effed up. You not supposed to buy a basketball video game, because you wanna see all the Jordans you don't have. That's what NT isfor.

The Draft Combine is taking away from NBA 2K10.. Players are just going to make the rookies so SICK & NASTY like a Rookie Tim Duncan and get MVP...

im skipping the draft combine and just coppin 2K10 FTW
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Another small detail that many fans will enjoy is the ability to save and quit out of a game and return to it later. It might sound minute but it's amazingly significant if someone is nagging you to get out the door and you're in the second-quarter of a playoff game.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by odog4eva

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Me and my brother were talking about this not to long ago. It was definitely appreciated in Madden.

Back
Top Bottom