NBA Draft Thread 2011

Originally Posted by nestasprotege

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

I think you're wrong about Kyrie not being a pass first point guard.  He was a scorer at Duke because the opportunities were there.  Did you not see how many weapons that squad had, especially from outside?  Opened up the lane like the Red Sea for Kyrie. 

And you gotta understand, Kidd and Barea were outside threats, one area Wall and Kyrie, to a certain degree, are not.  On the other side of the ball you really think they would be able to lock up Wade and Chalmers?  The reason Kidd and Barea looked serviceable on D was because the help D coming from the likes of Stephenson, Chandler, and Matrix.  Wall and Kyrie would get murked trying to contain those two, more so Wade. 

Quite frankly, Wall and Kyrie aren't efficiently playing off the ball.  They both need to be the main facilitators to be successful.  They're not Wade and Lebron who've been in the league for 8 years and have the experience to adapt.  You put a ball dominant rookie PG and ball dominant 2nd year PG in the same backcourt and it'll stunt both their growths.
This.
Barea and Kidd play well together because Kidd can settle in as a spot up shooter. Heck half the time he wasn't even facilitating the offense. Barea works well without the ball cuz he just runs around the court in circles cutting and slashing.

Wall and Kyrie need  the ball.

Kyrie is seriously overrated when it comes to his pg skills. I understand I've only seen him in 11 games, but he was flawed in both court vision and accuracy. Honestly, I can't believe people expect him to be a pg in the NBA. I just do not see it at all.

I don't think Wall and Kyrie would do any worse than any other one and two on Wade and Chalmers. As far as offensively, they both need the ball because they both are given the ball by their team and head coach. I guess I'm looking at this from a Wizard's fan perspective and seeing Wall's shortcomings forced out of him by putting Kyrie on the wing. In the same light, I'm recognizing Kyrie's shortcomings and thinking of the most successful spot for him. I dont want to watch a shorter Tyreke Evans with a better shot waste away as the point guard of the Cavs because he can't play point guard in the NBA.

The team that drafts Kyrie Irving to play point guard is the team that fails, period. If he can't be paired with a facilitating point guard like John Wall, he will go down as one of the biggest draft busts in NBA history. He will have to learn how to play off the ball because he's not an NBA point guard.

I don't look at some of these elaborate statistics that show how a player will pan out or what NBA player they most resemble. The one I read recently had Knight and Alec compared to Bayless. There comes a time when you take what you see and say, that is what I see. 
laugh.gif
And if you look at Kyrie Irving and see an NBA point guard, I don't know what to tell you. Kemba Walker is more of a point guard than Kyrie Irving and has a better offensive game.  If I'm Cleveland I draft Williams at #1 and Kemba at #4 and call it a day.

Where are you getting this from? 

Don't feel like typing, but just read this DX write up from Dec...right before he got hurt:

Irving is scoring at a terrific rate thus far, nearly 22 points per-40 minutes pace adjusted, but is doing so without the luxury of taking very many shots. He's accomplished that feat by converting efficiently inside the arc (59%), hitting his 3-pointers at a blistering 45% clip, and getting to the free throw line over 8-times per-40. There really isn't much more you can ask for besides that, especially considering that he's only eight games into his college career.

On a team that has never been shy to get out in the open floor, Irving has pushed Duke's pace to a full throttle. They're playing almost seven (72.1 compared to 65.5) possessions faster per-game than last year, with Irving replacing the more conservative Jon Scheyer being the main catalyst behind that change. The biggest part of Irving's offense (27%) in fact comes in transition, according to Synergy Sports Technology, and he's been extremely efficient out in the open floor. Also seeing big chunks of usage in isolation (23%) settings and on the pick and roll (22%), the way Irving is playing and getting his production couldn't possibly lend itself any better to the NBA style he'll need to transition to next season.

Not as blazingly fast with his first step as Derrick Rose, John Wall, or even Kemba Walker, Irving plays at a very unique pace that keeps defenses consistently off-balance and allows him to get to the basket seemingly whenever he needs to. Able to drive left or right almost equally well, he has excellent timing on his drives, very good body control, and the ability to operate at different speeds. Rather than just attempting to blow by opponents using his pure first step, Irving instead likes to toy with his defender, using tricky stutter-steps, strong body fakes, and perfectly timed hesitation moves to beat opponents smoothly and slitherly.

In the open floor, he uses long strides, fancy footwork and a surprisingly powerful extra gear that he keeps tucked under his belt for moments that he most needs it. His above average size and strength, coupled with his under control demeanor and ability to use both hands equally well around the basket makes him a phenomenal finisher once at the rim. He is crafty and elegant with his layups, but is also not afraid to sacrifice his body and just barrel into a defender in order to draw a foul, which helps him make up for the degree of explosiveness that he seemingly lacks rising up above the rim in traffic.

Because of the nature of his drives—heady, rarely out of control—Irving has a big advantage when it comes to making plays off the dribble. He has an excellent sense of where his teammates are at all times, and is confident and creative enough to know how to get them the ball in drive and dish situations, often in spectacular fashion. His chemistry with the ultra-explosive Mason Plumlee for example has been outstanding thus far—Irving loves drawing the defense and then finding Plumlee at the rim with a perfectly timed bullet pass or lob. With his terrific timing, ball-handling skills and court vision, Irving is going to be a handful on the pick and roll at the NBA level, and sure-handed big men and deadly spot-up shooters alike will love playing with him.

http://www.draftexpress.c...ofile/Kyrie-Irving-5735/

Kanter via. @Bulletsforever

"I would love to go to D.C. It doesn't matter which team, but I would love to go to D.C. It's [an] international city, and Obama loves basketball. I would love to play with John Wall. I think it's a great team."

pimp.gif

Kyrie is seriously overrated when it comes to his pg skills. I understand I've only seen him in 11 games, but he was flawed in both court vision and accuracy. Honestly, I can't believe people expect him to be a pg in the NBA. I just do not see it at all.

I don't think Wall and Kyrie would do any worse than any other one and two on Wade and Chalmers. As far as offensively, they both need the ball because they both are given the ball by their team and head coach. I guess I'm looking at this from a Wizard's fan perspective and seeing Wall's shortcomings forced out of him by putting Kyrie on the wing. In the same light, I'm recognizing Kyrie's shortcomings and thinking of the most successful spot for him. I dont want to watch a shorter Tyreke Evans with a better shot waste away as the point guard of the Cavs because he can't play point guard in the NBA.

The team that drafts Kyrie Irving to play point guard is the team that fails, period. If he can't be paired with a facilitating point guard like John Wall, he will go down as one of the biggest draft busts in NBA history. He will have to learn how to play off the ball because he's not an NBA point guard.

I don't look at some of these elaborate statistics that show how a player will pan out or what NBA player they most resemble. The one I read recently had Knight and Alec compared to Bayless. There comes a time when you take what you see and say, that is what I see. 
laugh.gif
And if you look at Kyrie Irving and see an NBA point guard, I don't know what to tell you. Kemba Walker is more of a point guard than Kyrie Irving and has a better offensive game.  If I'm Cleveland I draft Williams at #1 and Kemba at #4 and call it a day.
This.

So very overrated. I concur w/ this gent.

laugh.gif
This.

So very overrated. I concur w/ this gent.

i wonder what the REAL combined weight of Greg Monroe, Tristan and Tayshaun/Daye will be...... probably 200+ lbs less than the other team.

laugh.gif
Drecob...

More Kanter stuff: 

"I believe if I could have played [at Kentucky], I would go with the No. 1 pick," he said. "I believe I am the best player in this draft."

Link

I love his confidence...

laugh.gif
Drecob...

More Kanter stuff: 

"I believe if I could have played [at Kentucky], I would go with the No. 1 pick," he said. "I believe I am the best player in this draft."

Link

I love his confidence...

i wonder what the REAL combined weight of Greg Monroe, Tristan and Tayshaun/Daye will be...... probably 200+ lbs less than the other team.

nicedudewithnicedreams wrote:

I think #7 would have a George Hill career, but it depends if the Kings draft a PG or not. That's why I would just trade second round picks for him. Not sure what the Spurs are doing offering all these trades.
laugh.gif

this

nicedudewithnicedreams wrote:

I think #7 would have a George Hill career, but it depends if the Kings draft a PG or not. That's why I would just trade second round picks for him. Not sure what the Spurs are doing offering all these trades.
laugh.gif

this

Bro he is overrated and not really a PG. Y'all are just blind Dook fans probably. From an prospect evaluation standpoint, I don't see how he is top 5.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Sheep

And you need to shut up. You can't evaluate bball players, you're Haitian...... Stop it 5.

Bro he is overrated and not really a PG. Y'all are just blind Dook fans probably. From an prospect evaluation standpoint, I don't see how he is top 5.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Sheep

And you need to shut up. You can't evaluate bball players, you're Haitian...... Stop it 5.

Originally Posted by dreClark

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ol' sitting in the Barber shop watching National Georaphic when the Finals is one type mog

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ol' sitting in the Barber shop watching National Georaphic when the Finals is one type mog

so because im haitian..i cant just give my opinion..jeez what an idiot bro..anyway kyrie is easily one of the best guards in Duke History.

so because im haitian..i cant just give my opinion..jeez what an idiot bro..anyway kyrie is easily one of the best guards in Duke History.

Back
Top Bottom