NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Maybe its just me but if you got 2 bigmen you want one that can score and the other that defends and hits the boards. thats what NO has in west and Okafor now
Ding Ding, I mean who in N.O plays physical really. They have no cap room to address in FA not until 2011 at least with Peja coming off the books.TC is damaged goods. With Collison and Thorton N.O addresses the backcourt now all they need is one more player and this team has drastically improve from lastyear. Chandler is great but like I said who averaged a double double 5 seasons in a row? Not chandler ever. Okafor can easily be a 15-20 point guy with 10-12boards. And he does have a post game something Chandler didn't. Just wait until the season starts before you pass judgment.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Still no better than 4-5 seed.
Lakers, Denver, Spurs, are definite, with Portland, Mavs, and Utah being potentially better.

They got better defensively, but by how much, one man, especially not Okafor, is going to vastly improve you on defense.

They need something else.

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Maybe its just me but if you got 2 bigmen you want one that can score and the other that defends and hits the boards. thats what NO has in west and Okafor now
It's nothing wrong with that, but the fact that they already had a guy that could do that for two more years. Now, they got Okafor for thenext 5 years!

I mean his contract extends all the way to the 2013/14 season. Next season, they will have three guys (Peja, CP3, Okafor) taking up 40mil of the teams salary.With the way the salary cap is lowering, you want to get a good amount of talent for your buck. Even ater Peja contract expires, they will still have CP3 andOkafor taking up almost 30mil. With them being in cost cutting mode, they will be mediocre for the next 3-4 years not being able to add any significant talentto the team.

Okafor himself isn't going to drastically improve the team defensively. He couldn't do it in Charlotte with other good defenders around him. They justhave a team that will be in the lower end bracket of the playoffs or possibly out depending on the injury bug. Okafor also has a history of not being sohealthy.

15-20 point guy
Reaching with the 20 points. He will be 15 and 10 probably in New Orleans with CP3 handling the ball. He did average that his rookie year, so itsdefinitely possible. It all depends on if guys like Wright, Thornton, COllison can develop in to good role players as well to make the team deep.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_090727.html

"Overall, if you come to a Memphis Grizzlies game, you don't have a sold out arena," noted Mayo. "Bringing Iverson in would help us from a business standpoint. A sold out arena makes you play a little harder and compete harder and helps in the win column at home. That's a plus for the team. Iverson is a Hall of Fame player. Why not? At the end of the day, it's not in my hands. The owner and general manager will do what's best for the Grizzlies. "(With Iverson) we might score 200 points," laughed Mayo. "Coach (Lionel) Hollins is a defensive guy and we'll follow his lead. If he wants to outscore opponents, that's what we'll do."

I think OJ is really pushing for AI, so he can be moved to PG
laugh.gif

Jul 27, 2009 5:15 pm US/Pacific
[h2]Heat's Pat Riley To Meet With Lamar Odom[/h2]

Jim_Hill.jpg
Reporting
Jim Hill
(CBS) Lamar Odom is scheduled to meet with Miami Heat President Pat Riley and Dwyane Wade on Monday about signing a contract with the Heat.

Talks have resumed with Odom and the Lakers, but they remain pessimistic that Odom will return.

I think that Riley has done PLENTY to keep Wade in town, if they get Odom for MLE...
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Especially for a long-term deal, that's some damn good convincing.

Agent: Thomas heading to Dallas
Comment Email Print Share
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

Free-agent forward Tim Thomas is scheduled to be in Dallas on Tuesday for a face-to-face meeting with Mavericks officials that will likely lead to a contractoffer for the 12-year veteran.

Thomas
Thomas

No deal has been finalized, but the Mavericks have coveted Thomas as an off-the-bench shooter all summer to add some perimeter punch to their second unit.

"We're hoping to complete a deal soon," Bob Myers, Thomas' agent, told ESPN.com.

The Mavericks initially thought they were acquiring Thomas earlier this month in the four-team trade that netted Shawn Marion. The Chicago Bulls, according tosources with knowledge of the talks, had agreed to be part of the trade involving Toronto and Memphis -- with Thomas bound for Dallas -- but changed theirminds and pulled out. The Bulls were replaced in that trade by Orlando and later bought out Thomas' contract when they couldn't plug him into anotherdeal.

Thomas was due to make $6.5 million next season in the final year of his contract before the buyout. He was traded twice last season, going from the LosAngeles Clippers to the New York Knicks in a trade for Zach Randolph in December and from New York to Chicago in February as part of the Larry Hughes deal.

After striking a one-year deal for a guaranteed $4.5 million Sunday with free-agent forward Drew Gooden, Dallas has roughly $1.4 million left of its midlevelexception to spend on free agents as well as its $1.9 million bi-annual exception.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

sick.gif
blaxoid wrote:

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Dear God, no...
I think this will be the first time we see completely eye-to-eye on an acquisition.

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
I'm also throwing in a
sick.gif

+3

I mean what are they doing really.

Marion was a nice pick up and I like the idea of a healthy Josh at the 2.

Gooden to replace Bass okay.....I kinda get it but Tim freaking Thomas.
sick.gif

We now undenialbly have the softest- jumpshootingist front court in the NBA.

I just don't get it, Dirk is a finesse player you need a big that is a good to greater defender next to him and isn't a total liablilty on offense.Hell Dampier is that closest we have come to this. he sucks and we damn near won a title this way.

Why wouldn't you go get a player that has his strength but not his weaknesses? Nope they want more jumpshooting power forwards.

Amazing

Originally Posted by Mateen Cleaves

i like tim thomas but screw the mavs
roll.gif

That's like wanting to get your leg broken but hate hooking up with women.

Who in the hell likes Tim Thomas/what's wrong with the Mavs?
laugh.gif

Damn, Tim Thomas? Good luck.
Originally Posted by franchise3

Honestly, I think the Mavs need a penetrating 2. Gerald Green doesn't count.
I don't think they're planning on re-signing him, are they?

Back
Top Bottom