NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

laugh.gif
figures a Cavs fan would have pics of Tim Thomas stashed away.

Gotta be OC's cousin runnin that SN.

Gotta be.
laugh.gif

It's ok though, I got pictures too.
wink.gif

Yi Scores 30 in FIBA Asia Warm-Up

July 28, 2009, 10:34 am
Yi Jianlian, in his first game back with Team China, scored 30 points in an exhibition game win over a team of All-Stars from Australia's NationalBasketball League. Team China won, 87-67, building a lead in the middle quarters after falling behind early. It was Yi's highest scoring game ever for TeamChina and Chinese basketball officials praised him for attacking the basket repeatedly after the team fell behind.

I do not think the Nets are trading him yet. Some of the pictures also show him much different last year.

He did add muscle and drove to the basket with contact.

any news on Jason williams ? he was waved by the clippers earlier this week and he will now be allowed to play again in the league. Any teams interested inhim?

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Why does this make sense for the Bobcats? Chandler is not better then Emeka. It can't be because of cap space because aren't they under the cap (or at least very slightly above it)?

Chandler and Emeka are about equal, IMO, but Chandler is a pure 5, which the Bobcats needed. Plus Chandler's contract comes off the books two yearsbefore Emeka. They key for the Bobcats though, is will they get Iverson?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif
figures a Cavs fan would have pics of Tim Thomas stashed away.

Gotta be OC's cousin runnin that SN.

Gotta be.
laugh.gif

It's ok though, I got pictures too.
wink.gif
CP, chill out.
laugh.gif
It's called Google images "TimThomas"...took about 5 seconds...

& it wasn't even meant to be a shot @ Laker fans fwiw...but I see ya'll are taking it to heart.
laugh.gif

^
I know man, just givin ya a hard time. I do that sometimes.
laugh.gif

I hated that shot when it happened, but it don't bother me too much anymore. Those Suns are dead and buried, and the Lakers rip Zo's heart outeverytime we step out on the floor.
pimp.gif

I use to lurk the sports pages a lot back then, whatever happened to that guy Zodogg? He jst disappeared one day?

Originally Posted by Mr Kuter

I use to lurk the sports pages a lot back then, whatever happened to that guy Zodogg? He jst disappeared one day?

Banned 18 times. Dude couldn't keep his mouth shut to save his own life. Perma banned, IP banned, life banned. He gone.
laugh.gif

No matter how many times Kevin Durant states his desire - in newspapers and magazines, on blogs and through his Twitter account - the Thunder star continues to be bombarded with the same question.

Thunder star Kevin Durant is currently vying for a spot with the USA basketball team which will play in the 2012 Olympics. AP photo

The wording varies, but the gist is clear: "When are you leaving Oklahoma?"

In case you haven't paid attention over much of the past calendar year, Durant isn't looking to go anywhere. He's said as much from the day the Thunder was introduced at media day last fall and made perhaps his strongest statements last week in a Q&A with Slam Magazine.

"I love this team, man," Durant said. "This is where I want to be. (General manager) Sam (Presti) is incredible. He's like another father to me, outside of my real father. Anything I need. He's always asking if I need anything or how my family is doing. I just like good people like that. He's not just a GM. He's more of an everyday guy that is always around. He asks my input on everything, whether it's about the newest music out or what type of shoes I like. Small stuff like that. I love him, I love the organization and hopefully I can stay as long as possible."

But statements like those from stars such as Durant in small markets like Oklahoma City go unnoticed or aren't understood nationally. And major media markets want to wind up the free-agent clock on Durant, even if he has no reason for wanting to leave Oklahoma City.

The questions figure to keep coming until the ink of Durant's signature dries on a new deal. But that day is not far away, and the pieces are coming together for the Thunder to retain its franchise player.

In what will be a mere formality, the Thunder will announce sometime before Oct. 31 that it has exercised its team option for Durant's fourth season. It allows the franchise to keep No. 35 through 2010-11.

Durant will then become eligible for his first contract extension July 1, 2010.

And next summer should prove to be a cut-and-dry negotiation period for Durant and the Thunder. Certain incentives likely will have to be hashed out, but the terms of the deal will be open and shut - the maximum number of Benjamins the Thunder can throw Durant's way. It'll also be more Benjamins than any other team can offer, with league rules allowing the Thunder to tender more years and higher annual raises to retain its player

The only major question this time next year seems to be whether Durant will sign a long-term contract or be satisfied with a short-term deal.

Under the league's current collective bargaining agreement, Durant can sign an extension of up to five years, keeping him in town through the 2015-16 season. But he could also opt to sign a shorter deal in an attempt to maintain the most flexibility.

In July 2006, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade both signed three-year deals with a player's option for a fourth season rather than re-upping for five seasons. Tim Duncan did a similar three-year deal in 2000 as opposed to the then-maximum seven-year extension.

Oklahoma City is in position to appease Durant on either front. Durant's new deal wouldn't kick in until the 2011-12 season, when the Thunder has just more than $14 million committed to five players - Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Serge Ibaka, Byron Mullens and .J. White.

That kind of cap space has become imperative for the Thunder to have if it has any interest in re-signing Durant and fellow 2007 classmate Jeff Green without soon having an uncontrollable payroll. It's why we haven't seen Oklahoma City overpay for David Lee and why the Thunder didn't blow the budget on Paul Millsap, Ben Gordon or Anderson Varejao.

Presti, in two short seasons, has built the Thunder into a team that his best player wants to play for and a franchise that is in very good position to keep him around.

So relax, Oklahoma City. Kevin Durant isn't going anywhere. How many times does he have to say it before we believe him

Charlotte threw in a first rounder along with Okafor to get Chandler...
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The New Orleans Hornets have finally found a taker for Tyson Chandler. It took a deal with tinkering Charlotte coach Larry Brown, who was willing to jettison the Bobcats' first draft pick.

Emeka Okafor was dealt to the Hornets on Tuesday for Chandler in a deal involving 26-year-old centers, a trade that brought different financial relief to both teams and hopes they'll thrive under different big men.

The Hornets have been trying to unload the 7-foot-1 Chandler for several months. Last season they sent him to Oklahoma City, but the trade was rescinded after Chandler failed a physical amid concerns aver a lingering toe injury.

Brown was willing to gamble on the injury-prone big man. It comes at the expense of Okafor, who at 6-foot-10 is smaller than Chandler and had trouble guarding the NBA's top big men.

"We looked at this trade as an opportunity to improve our team," Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins said. "Tyson brings that unique level of athleticism in a 7-footer that puts us in a position to compete night in and night out with the other quality centers in the league."

But the Hornets were intrigued by Okafor's superior rebounding and durability, giving New Orleans a reliable big man with a longer contract as they try to recover from last season's first-round playoff exit.

The deal is the fourth trade Charlotte has made since managing partner Michael Jordan hired Brown before last season. Brown, in his record ninth NBA head coaching job, has continued his history of numerous trades to mold the team into his defensive-minded liking.

Now it includes sending the centerpiece of Charlotte's new franchise to the city's old team.

Two years after the Hornets left Charlotte for New Orleans, the expansion Bobcats took Okafor with the No. 2 pick in the 2004 draft -- after Orlando grabbed Dwight Howard.

Okafor, who won a national championship at Connecticut, had injury problems early in his career. But he has played all 82 games in each of the last two seasons while providing Charlotte with solid, if unspectacular, play.

Okafor averaged 13.2 points and 10.1 rebounds last season, but his style didn't mesh with Brown. The coach questioned his basketball fire at the end of the season when he said Okafor "got an A in stretching and pilates and yoga. I want him to have an A in basketball."

Chandler gives the Bobcats a center who can better defend big players and a more athletic player who was often at the receiving end of alley-oop passes from the Hornets' Chris Paul.

But Chandler is coming off surgery, and despite their identical ages, Chandler has played four more seasons than Okafor because he came to the NBA directly from high school in 2001.

Chandler, averaged 8.8 points and 8.7 rebounds in only 45 games last season. He then underwent procedures on his left ankle and toe in May after being ineffective in the first-round series loss to Denver.

The Bobcats were willing to take a chance that Chandler will be fully recovered by the start of next season and pulled the trigger on the deal that brought financial relief to both sides.

For the Hornets, it immediately lowers their payroll and would reduce luxury tax payments. Okafor is scheduled to make $10.5 million next season and Chandler $11.8 million. The Hornets entered the week with a payroll of about $78 million, triggering a dollar-for-dollar tax over the NBA's luxury tax threshold of $69.9 million.

But the Bobcats unload a much longer long-term commitment. Okafor still has five years left on a six-year, $72 million deal he signed last year. Chandler would make $12.7 million in a player option in 2010-11, the final season of his deal.

Bobcats owner Bob Johnson, who is looking to sell the team after losing millions of dollars, has ordered management not to reach the luxury tax threshold. Getting Okafor's big contract off the books will help achieve that goal in future seasons.

"We'd like to thank Emeka for all that he has done for this franchise and for serving as the organization's ambassador and first-ever draft pick," Higgins said. "His hard work and dedication to the Charlotte Bobcats will be missed, and we wish him well with his new team."

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/07/28/okafor.chandler.ap/index.html?eref=si_nba

Chris Wallace is laughing at Michael Jordan if that pick isn't protected.
roll.gif

If that is a top 5-10 pick, N.O. just robbed the @#$% outta Charlotte.

when is the last time a 1st round pick was not protected?

*Katt Williams*NOT NEVER*Katt WIlliams*

Originally Posted by CP1708

Chris Wallace is laughing at Michael Jordan if that pick isn't protected.
roll.gif

If that is a top 5-10 pick, N.O. just robbed the @#$% outta Charlotte.

2ps57k5.jpg

It better be lottery protected, not no top 3, 5 or 10 %#@#+%!+.

^
If they did that, then they should just fire Mike, Larry and Co, and move that franchise to New Orleans too.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom