NBA WILL Have Sponsors' Ads On Jerseys In 2013-14 Season

I would be okay if the ad was a small one e.g. as big as the NBA Finals patches or those snowflakes they have during Christmas games. Other than that would be :x

But that's what I'm wondering. Why can't you compare the two? Manchester United's jerseys are still held in the highest esteem around the world even with AON and \AIG advertisements. It didn't hurt their brand, and they got some money for it. Also, franchises can use the money to update their facilities and create a better experience for fans. 

You obviously did not read as we told you to. Soccer has NO commercials. NBA has 1000000 commercials. The ads on the Soccer Jerseys are the only ads you will see until halftime. See how it's different?

NBA = 100 times outs + 1000 commercials

Soccer = 0 times outs + 2 ads on the jerseys + a Heineken ad at halftime. That's it.

Last edited:
I wonder what makes more money for the NBA/$tern:

One official time-out per quarter worth of commercials - that's four per game over an entire season
or having ads on all of their jerseys over an entire season

Last edited:
You obviously did not read as we told you to. Soccer has NO commercials. NBA has 1000000 commercials. The ads on the Soccer Jerseys are the only ads you will see until halftime. See how it's different?
Soccer = 0 times outs + 2 ads on the jerseys + a Heineken ad at halftime. That's it.

That is a terrible argument. Basketball is the second most popular sport in the world, and every other league has ads plastered all over their jerseys. They have timeouts and commercials breaks, just like over here.

It's a no-brainer for the NBA to do this. There is an international market that MLB and the NFL can't ever tap into, so any advertiser would be wise to participate, just for the possible international appeal.

That is a terrible argument. Basketball is the second most popular sport in the world, and every other league has ads plastered all over their jerseys. They have timeouts and commercials breaks, just like over here.

It's a no-brainer for the NBA to do this. There is an international market that MLB and the NFL can't ever tap into, so any advertiser would be wise to participate, just for the possible international appeal.

How are you going to say that's a terrible argument when you said basketball is the second most popular sport in the world? :stoneface:

It invalidates your whole argument. :smh:

Last edited:
They're not advertising the SPORT. Advertisers will pay top dollar to advertise their PRODUCT on jerseys in the top league (NBA), which is viewed by a billion-plus people around the world. They only view the NBA through limited access, so every time they see a game, they will see the ads on the jerseys.

How difficult is that to comprehend?

They're not advertising the SPORT. Advertisers will pay top dollar to advertise their PRODUCT on jerseys in the top league (NBA), which is viewed by a billion-plus people around the world. They only view the NBA through limited access, so every time they see a game, they will see the ads on the jerseys.
You're looking at it from the perspective of the companies that would be making money off the advertisements. The rest of us are looking at it from the perspective of the fan. This won't be good for the experience of the basketball fan. It will be good for the companies that put their ads on the jerseys. 

I always find this a funny thing.

I grew up in the UK (where I still live) and jersey sponsors have always been the norm. When I got interested in basketball - just over 20 years - and started watching NBA games I was astounded at the way the presenters would shill for companies - just in the way they announced the winner of certain sponsored awards but worse in the way that they would actually mention how good a brand of pizza was after a commercial.

I've always liked the fact that the jerseys don't have sponsors on them but don't kid yourselves that the NBA is clear of that sort of marketing at the moment. A patch on the jersey is the least of my worries.

But when does it end? Are the court floors going to end up looking like a NASCAR car? Backboards painted over with logos? Head coaches wearing adidas track suits and caps? Official team names being dropped in favor of a company name?

NBA could make tons of cash off that too right.... Why aren't those being done?

It's not being done because they don't have to and despite the current climate there is a fine line.

Anyway, we all know there are decent points for both sides of this issue. For me personally I don't think it's black and white.

One side could say, "owners need to go grab as much cash at all costs and there is no limit at how to do so. Sell out, sell out, sell out."

The other side would say, "figure out your other areas to ***** yourself out (which they have done), but leave the team uniform out as your ad canvas because it is such an important symbol to your paying client base."

Regardless of anyone's stance on the issue the bottom line is the path we are currently on with accommodating advertisers is a massive freight train where the product itself (i.e. the actual SPORT the fan comes to see) is buried in importance towards the bottom of the list. And it's getting worse by the day.

And the sport itself that we tune in for suffers more than anyone.

No one worries about that now. We will.

Last edited:
Just heard this news....guess you better cop all da jerseys ad free

While you still can...talkin about throwin traditional sports culture

Out da window...

Sad day for American sports when the NBA begins the 13-14 season with uniform ads. It'll only be a matter of time before the NFL and MLB do too. NFL has been trying to creep to it with those awful patches on their practice uniforms, and MLB uses it during exhibition games against Japan (though that may be a requirement by the Japanese league). Either way, if the NBA isn't dissuaded from the patches by the time they arrive, I fully expect all three major sports to have uniform advertising.

Pretty cool if you ask me. LIke said numerous times in this thread, soccer CAKES off indorsments. It's all about money folks. People still buy Soccer jerseys with a big *** "AON" on the front or even when Real Madrid had "SEAMON (SP?)" on the front, people still copped worldwide.

Pretty cool if you ask me. LIke said numerous times in this thread, soccer CAKES off indorsments. It's all about money folks. People still buy Soccer jerseys with a big *** "AON" on the front or even when Real Madrid had "SEAMON (SP?)" on the front, people still copped worldwide.

No one in here cares how much the teams make from uniform advertising, this is a salary cap league. Unless you're a big market team already and making enough to endure over the cap taxes, the fans will not be benefiting in any way. There will still be a ****-ton of commercials, ads all over the court and product hawking at every opportunity.

Last edited:
why are so many people panicking about copping jerseys?

can't the NBA still sell jerseys w ads and also ad free?

Last edited:
corporate greed at its finest. I will never buy another NBA jersey... i wouldn't care if Nike made one for me only. This is a poor idea on so many levels

The NFL has Lingerie league officials and yall tight about a 4 inch patch.

Talking about corporate greed ruining the world and yall on Niketalk. Get the **** outta here.

I understand the business logic, but a Ford logo patch on Kevin Durant's jersey isn't going to make me want to buy a damn Ford :stoneface: .

Last edited:
Its a jersey :lol:.. Relax kids. Dudes really saying they are done with the league cause of this :rolleyes

How about refs favoring a certain team or player? Or the same big market teams getting the best players and winning championships. Na the patch did it for you huh? NBA has been a business and has been about entertainment. Is your viewing experience really going to be ruined because of a patch stitched on to players jerseys? I don't understand what the big deal is here. Can someone explain?

Theres already a ton of commercials?

Ok, so what?

A patch on a jersey does not interrupt play. If youre worried because you buy jerseys, then I think it will be done tastefully and people will eventually get used to it. All my old soccer jerseys bring back memories and give me that nostalgic feeling.. The Real Madrid Siemens jersey when Zidane was on the team (also reminds me of los galacticos era) :smokin or my old Boca Juniors jersey with the Pepsi on it when Tevez was making his name etc..

Back
Top Bottom