NBA: Would it be viable for the 1st seed to pick their opponent in the first round of the playoffs?

Unlikely, but I'm rarely against change. I'm more a believer in the reseed 1-16 regardless of conferences. People act like this is the old days and we're on horse and carriage. The extra hr or 2 on a plane isn't going to kill anybody if you end up with an interconference matchup.

no sounds crazy.  Play the games and let the chips fall.  That would leave too much controversy and excuses and its just not the essence of sports and competition

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Unlikely, but I'm rarely against change. I'm more a believer in the reseed 1-16 regardless of conferences. People act like this is the old days and we're on horse and carriage. The extra hr or 2 on a plane isn't going to kill anybody if you end up with an interconference matchup.

i like the idea of reseeding 1-16 but honestly, traveling across the country every other day might be too much

Some of the intraconference matchups aren't exactly close either. Memphis for example, is closer to the Eastern Conference teams. But jets fly ~600mph. You're talking an extra 2 hrs tops. The longest possible matchup is I guess Portland-Mia which is 8 and yea that'd totally suck but that's how the cookie crumbles.

I just think the disparity between the West and the East, especially after the top 2 teams, has been so mammoth for so long you have to find a way to account for it. In the East you get in being under .500. I think every team in the West would be a playoff team in the East

#*%+ it.

For the NFL just have a 32 team bracket

pimp.gif
laugh.gif
. .. %%#% would be crazy

Originally Posted by diew its james

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

i like the idea of reseeding 1-16 but honestly, traveling across the country every other day might be too much
true, but playoff scheduling nowadays is really off. teams will play game 1 on sat, game 2 on monday, then somehow game 3 isnt until friday. 
its for the tv networks but its really quite weird.

NBA playoffs need to be made like MLB... 8 teams make the playoffs... division champs and a wildcard from each conference... there would be a lot better competition, regular season games would mean more and divisions would actually matter for something, because right now they pretty much have no purpose.  I know it means less money made for the league so it will never happen, but then again that mindset is whats wrong with the league right now anyway 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by JJ1223

NBA playoffs need to be made like MLB... 8 teams make the playoffs... division champs and a wildcard from each conference... there would be a lot better competition, regular season games would mean more and divisions would actually matter for something, because right now they pretty much have no purpose.  I know it means less money made for the league so it will never happen, but then again that mindset is whats wrong with the league right now anyway 
eyes.gif

NBA fans think they need less teams in the playoffs. MLB fans think they need more teams in the playoffs. But in a lot of ways both are right. 

No, if that were the case the Bulls/Heat would play first and the competition would dwindle toward the finals. Would you really want to see Bulls and Pacers in the ECF?

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

eyes.gif

NBA fans think they need less teams in the playoffs. MLB fans think they need more teams in the playoffs. But in a lot of ways both are right. 

I think 8 is the perfect number for the NBA...  You can't do 6.   You'd have to give the top 2 seeds a bye. If you did that, the 1st Round Teams would be done for playing a team that has a week plus of rest...  4 is just boring for the NBA..   And if you go to 4 there is no point of having a salary cap anymore.. If only 4 teams can make it, whoever can get more than 1 superstar is in the playoffs...   8 is not too little, and not too much for the nba..

I think MLB is tough because they need it done in 1 month.. Besides the 1 game playoff with an extra wild card team is the only way to do it.

This is incredibly inaccurate.  Actually, thinking about it, so is your first sentence. 

Reseeding 1-16 is a much better idea than this.

This idea is akin to applying the BCS to the NBA. %$@@ a 1st seed need to choose their opponent for?

Ok than change the sentence to SOME fans. You're right, shouldnt paint with such a big brush.
But I still think fans of mid level mlb teams don't mind the new changes to the playoffs. Especially if your team is in a division that has an (almost) automatic contender like NL or AL east and your only shot is the WC.

I wouldn't have an issue with having the playoffs this way. It would be fun to watch an upset like that.  What about making it like the baseball playoffs are now?

Originally Posted by Essential1

eyes.gif

I think 8 is the perfect number for the NBA...  You can't do 6.   You'd have to give the top 2 seeds a bye. If you did that, the 1st Round Teams would be done for playing a team that has a week plus of rest...  4 is just boring for the NBA..   And if you go to 4 there is no point of having a salary cap anymore.. If only 4 teams can make it, whoever can get more than 1 superstar is in the playoffs...   8 is not too little, and not too much for the nba..

I think MLB is tough because they need it done in 1 month.. Besides the 1 game playoff with an extra wild card team is the only way to do it.

Agreed 100%.  16 is too many and 6 is too few... making the playoffs means nothing when half the league makes it and then the 7/8 seeds just get wrecked first round anyway... look at how much MLB fans get excited for the playoffs then compare it to how excited NBA fans get... the NBA at this day and age sucks and so do 90% of the fans. All the league cares about is money and all the fans care about are superstars... changing the playoffs would be a step towards fixing that

Back
Top Bottom