NBC's Community Thread - 6/2 - Ep. 13: "Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television"

But imagine you took random parts of Season 1 and never having seen the episodes, watched a mix of wacky moments... it probably wouldn't be that funny.

Along with Harmon, it's always writers coming and going, characters feeling stale or flat, and other problems that can plague a show in it's 4th season. I think there's a good chance it would be the "worst" season even with Harmon behind the wheel, so I won't be prepared to blame these new guys 100%. 

Because the behind the scenes was so very public, I think that's soured many fans expectations before we've even seen the show. And that's understandable since Harmon was such a unique voice, but he also had a lot of writers, some of whom didn't come back for a 4th season. Give me the equivalent of seasons 5-7 on the Simpsons or Seasons 3 The Office where it's not the show's prime but considering that prime was some of the best comedy ever, that's OK.

Or probably most accurately... the last seasons of Seinfeld without Larry David. It's no doubt funny television, but you can tell it's missing that snap and bite that Larry brought to the table. This might have a worse drop off, but I trust the crew who remained and the cast to keep it as true to the vision as possible.

It's not worth blaming new showrunners Moses Port and David Guarascio for the zombie show that staggers back tomorrow night with the first of 13 Harmon-free episodes. The two are, by all accounts, solid professionals, veterans of Mad About You and Happy Endings, and the jokes in "History 101" would be welcome in nearly any sitcom. But Community was never just any sitcom. That's not meant as a comment on quality — it's merely a statement of fact. Harmon graphed every plot, tinkered with every gag, and bled every hour in the editing bay. It was this maddening, exhilarating ego alone that elevated Community into something worth getting mad or exhilarated about in the first place. Port and Guarascio could and most likely should run any number of comedies. The problem — even with the continued presence of Harmon-era survivors Andy Bobrow and Megan Ganz — is asking them to run this one. They did their best, but it's a fool's errand and I suspect they themselves know it.
Grantland weighs in

Last edited:
^ Wait, so you've never watched Community before?,,,If you haven't, I'm just gonna say that you're in for a whole lot of weirdness :lol: .

Can't wait for this season. NBC really has nothing better left than this show with office and 30 rock going away.

It's not worth blaming new showrunners Moses Port and David Guarascio for the zombie show that staggers back tomorrow night with the first of 13 Harmon-free episodes. The two are, by all accounts, solid professionals, veterans of Mad About You and Happy Endings, and the jokes in "History 101" would be welcome in nearly any sitcom. But Community was never just any sitcom. That's not meant as a comment on quality — it's merely a statement of fact. Harmon graphed every plot, tinkered with every gag, and bled every hour in the editing bay. It was this maddening, exhilarating ego alone that elevated Community into something worth getting mad or exhilarated about in the first place. Port and Guarascio could and most likely should run any number of comedies. The problem — even with the continued presence of Harmon-era survivors Andy Bobrow and Megan Ganz — is asking them to run this one. They did their best, but it's a fool's errand and I suspect they themselves know it.
Grantland weighs in
</3

is 1600 Penn any good? i havent watched any episodes yet

glad to see Community back, but....its definitely going to be different

The Best of Community's Writers Reddit AMA

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/02/the-best-of-the-community-writers-ama/?showall=true

While I'm a bit nervous this season will be terrible, from what I've read I'm more optimistic. The actor who plays Garrett has made some comments that the premiere isn't a fair reflection of how the season will go. And the consensus from some reviews I've read say it's very much the Community we all know, but a bit more empty or hollow at times. Which is disappointing but that'll be a combination of no Harmon and just getting tired of the series. Most of the writers from last season were still there, but clearly it won't be the same.

Give me a majority of B quality episodes with one or two A's and I'm happy. I don't think they're going to totally butcher and destroy the show, so that's not a worry... 

Last edited:
i dont know if yall know this but the dean wrote the descendants, a great movie btw..

im so excite for tonight..

OCTOBER 19th!!! :lol:

Imagine if they pulled the plug on tonight's show :rofl:

I'd seriously riot in NBC.

Last edited:
^ Yea, I'm a fan of Go On as well :lol:

And too bad Megan Ganz is leaving after this season. From what I recall, she's one of the OG Community writers. But she's moving on to Modern Family next season.

Everyone dropping like flies, writers, directors, Chevy, even Harmon, all of which had left and/or was booted before season 4 started filming :frown: . Damn shame :smh:

Last edited:
I got super low expectations. This is just bonus footage at this point. Series ended already

Back
Top Bottom