New BMW Monday

I ended up getting the 335. Not the one I originally posted about but an 09 with about $8k miles less on it and a clean car fax. I felt like if i got the 328 I would've regretted it.

pics!

Last edited:
this is why euro cars use alpha numeric Nomenclature, to breed ambiguity between da higher priced models and da base models..

american cars conversely are pretty blunt when it comes to letting you know if you got da base model, "hemi" cars are a perfect example.
And Chevy using LS, LT, LTZ, Z06, and ZR1 is a perfect example of how they're doing exactly what you're accusing European automakers of doing.  All automakers do it, American ones just put words on it, like "Big Horn Edition," to make you feel a little more special...
acroynums =/= alphanumeric labeling..

LT = luxury touring vs things like Q45 which have no meaning whatsoever.
Well, the Q45 was an Infiniti car, which is Japanese not European, and I believe the 45 was for the 4.5 Liter engine.  And LT no longer means "Luxury Touring," so no, it's not an acronym anymore, it's just alphanumeric labeling...
LT is a trim level found across the Chevrolet lineup on its cars, trucks and SUVs. LT isn't an acronym for something like “Luxury Touring” on newer models. According to a Chevrolet representative, it’s simply a code for higher-optioned trim designations.

http://ask.cars.com/2007/11/chevrolet-lt-tr.html

this is why euro cars use alpha numeric Nomenclature, to breed ambiguity between da higher priced models and da base models..

american cars conversely are pretty blunt when it comes to letting you know if you got da base model, "hemi" cars are a perfect example.

And Chevy using LS, LT, LTZ, Z06, and ZR1 is a perfect example of how they're doing exactly what you're accusing European automakers of doing.  All automakers do it, American ones just put words on it, like "Big Horn Edition," to make you feel a little more special...

acroynums =/= alphanumeric labeling..

LT = luxury touring vs things like Q45 which have no meaning whatsoever.

Well, the Q45 was an Infiniti car, which is Japanese not European, and I believe the 45 was for the 4.5 Liter engine.  And LT no longer means "Luxury Touring," so no, it's not an acronym anymore, it's just alphanumeric labeling...

[QUOTE url="[URL]http://ask.cars.com/2007/11/chevrolet-lt-tr.html[/URL]"]
LT is a trim level found across the Chevrolet lineup on its cars, trucks and SUVs. LT isn't an acronym for something like “Luxury Touring” on newer models. According to a Chevrolet representative, it’s simply a code for higher-optioned trim designations.
http://ask.cars.com/2007/11/chevrolet-lt-tr.html
[/quote]
yes, lexus, nissan/infiniti, acura used to do it... the numbers are the liters of the engines... dont even bother arguing with NH about cars... i owned him in the last car "debate"...

As cars like BMWs become more like fashion items than durable goods (rotated out every 3-5 years), the manufacturers get hip to these trends. Why pour the engineering resources and dollars into development of components that are going to last for 200,000 miles when the reality is that the vast majority of your customer base owns these cars for less than 100,000 miles?

BMW has gotten so heavily into the lease game (IIRC the number is something like 70% of BMWs are leased) that the business model needs to adapt to it. Now they need to hit price points in the form of monthly payments more than they need to build durable vehicles. When the majority of your customers have the car for 36,000 - 48,000 miles before trading in, why go to extraordinary measures? Once these cars go to the secondary market they're no longer BMWs concern because most of those second hand buyers would never be able to afford a new BMW to begin with. Plus BMW and its suppliers get to reap the massive profits that come from parts sales.

Honda and Toyota need to be concerned with longevity and durability because that's what their customers demand. BMW, Audi and Mercedes know that their customers are more interested in appearances and have the means to upgrade their wheels every 3-5 years. The name of the game is: know your market.

forget a CPO...............lease

when you hit that 100k mark you know damn well youre not gonna keep it anyways.

like i said in another thread

MOST ppl have ongoing car payments................ppl get bored or trade or warranty goes and they get another car any damn ways

Last edited:
forget a CPO...............lease

when you hit that 100k mark you know damn well youre not gonna keep it anyways.

like i said in another thread

MOST ppl have ongoing car payments................ppl get bored or trade or warranty goes and they get another car any damn ways

[COLOR=#red]some of what you say is true, but then again it all depends on the individual. There is no blanket answer for stuff like this. People act like cars explode after 100k, when the vast majority of the cars on the road today are high mileage. But then again I forget how uppity folks are on NT...[/COLOR]

View media item 306714mmmhmm
Dat 850
Dat v12
Dat top speed
Dat built in cell phone(og ish)

Always had a soft spot for this car but have heard they're a money pit.

OP, get the 335i put a chip in it and dump it before your warranty is up. However the fact your debating between the two, means you should just get the 328.. insurance will be cheaper as well.

Last edited:
EDW...........you know damn well youre not keeping your bmw pass 100k. Most cars on road past 100k are not bmws either.

EDW...........you know damn well youre not keeping your bmw pass 100k. Most cars on road past 100k are not bmws either.

[COLOR=#red]Bro, I'm keeping my car till the wheels fall off. I'll extend my warranty too with a 3rd party vendor. Actually BMWs with the Inline 6 last for quite awhile, BMW has perfected that engine. There may be a few peripherals to replace, but nothing major. I got over 200k on my old 93 525i and it started up with no problem even in the cold and I could put a full cup of water on top of the engine and it wouldn't spill (yes I have actually done that to show my boy).

The E60's are going over 100k easy, many have passed the 150k mark. THe best resource for this info is Bimmerforums.com, Bimmerfest.com, 5Series.net. You know sites where people actually own these cars and give real anecdotal info...not like the info on NT where the majority of the responses are from people who don't currently own the cars they talk about.[/COLOR]

The thought of the repair bills on an e46 M3 :x Old car technically and who knows how the previous driver drove it.
WHO said

CHIP a bmw???? for what?? 20hp?? that feeling will be gone in a week. if your gonna buy a car to mod THEN BUY THE RIGHT PLATFORM.... bmw are EXPENSIVE to buy and maintain and twice that when modded... plus not that fast. 335 are not sports cars... the M3 is... the WRX is not a fast car... the STI is... the lancer is not a fast car... The EVO is... get my drift. two totally different worlds of driving....

HELL, if you dont see it that way why not get a Porsche Boxer... you get the NAME, 2 door coupe look, can take the rag off in the convertible option. AND 15% of the names legacy and its performance.

------FYI DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!! thats a cornball in its finest form

BUY THE RIGHT PLATFORM... fast is more than just horsepower and torque its Ssspension, transmission, and driveline components that make a car worthy of being fast because the have to be able to handle the power you thrown down... Its like buying a condom too big for u.

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP OP

[COLOR=#red]Examples below...

The best advice I can give is that NikeTalk is NOT the forum to get the best and accurate vehicle advice. We are mostly shoe collectors or retired shoe collectors and hypebeasts. Don't even take my word for on stuff exclusively. Go to the automotive forums and do your own research. Dudes in here spread a lot of false or just pain untrue information based off of assumptions or what they heard. Very few real first hand experiences.[/COLOR]

I have a 05 530 I with 129k - I bought it with about 75k on it. I am second owner. I had to have a hose or two changed that was coming apart and I have a coolant leak that I will be getting fixed very soon. That's about it other than normal maintenance.

I also have a 92 325i with 438k. It is my daily driver. Original engine. The previous owner took very good care of the care. I've added a couple of mods to it.

I have a 2006 525i with 130k on it...Not alot of work on it. I am hoping to keep it going past 200k. Had a 1996 318i with 250k on it....

04 530i 198,879 Just had plugs done for second time. No other major repair.

2006 525 with 128k with regular service. Best car I have ever owned.

2004 530i with 180,000 miles... No major issues to date I just started seeing some oil burn off at start up so I am guesssing the valve seals are starting to fail.

Love my car... she just keeps on going faithfully.

2004 545i 6speed with Sport Pkg - 146K.

Previous car was e39 528i 5sp that lasted 317K.

I have 195K on my 2008 525xi, battery replaced after I purchased it from the St Catharines BMW Dealership and I have had no problems ! What a great reliable car.

After you said niketalk is not the best place for info I will forever disregard your posts

WHO said

[COLOR=#red]CHIP a bmw???? for what?? 20hp??[/COLOR] that feeling will be gone in a week. if your gonna buy a car to mod THEN BUY THE RIGHT PLATFORM.... bmw are EXPENSIVE to buy and maintain and twice that when modded... plus not that fast. 335 are not sports cars... the M3 is... the WRX is not a fast car... the STI is... the lancer is not a fast car... The EVO is... get my drift. two totally different worlds of driving....

HELL, if you dont see it that way why not get a Porsche Boxer... you get the NAME, 2 door coupe look, can take the rag off in the convertible option. AND 15% of the names legacy and its performance.

------FYI DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!! thats a cornball in its finest form

BUY THE RIGHT PLATFORM... fast is more than just horsepower and torque its Ssspension, transmission, and driveline components that make a car worthy of being fast because the have to be able to handle the power you thrown down... Its like buying a condom too big for u.

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP OP

[COLOR=#red]Thanks for proving my point in the post right before this. Y'all don't know what the eff y'all are talking about :rofl: :rofl:

The JB4 Stage 3 tune is a chip, it adds 80HP to the N54 Engine and it only costs $500. If you add the Dual Cone Inlet that adds 20HP for like $170. So for $670 with minimal installation you can add another 100HP. The N54 is already in the 335 and 535 horsepower and torque are already underrated at 300HP and 300Lb ft. It's actually closer to 320HP and 320Lb ft at the crank. [/COLOR]

After you said niketalk is not the best place for info I will forever disregard your posts

[COLOR=#red]You'd be a smart man. Better to get info from discussion boards dedicated to the information you seek.

It's like going to Bimmerfest.com and asking when the "Bred" XIs are going to be re-retroed. [/COLOR]

Last edited:
Do you guys even know why chips add a decent amount of hp to STOCK BMW bi-turbo engines?

We should really stick to shoes here. (No offense)

[COLOR=#red]It works via the Engine Control Unit to increase the boost measured in psi (pounds per square inch). The ECU from the factory is set by the engineers to be the best tradeoff for power, fuel economy, and engine durability. Thing is the twin turbos of the N54 are pretty small and from the factory they have less than 10 psi as far as boost goes. The newer BMW's with the N55 Engine have the Twin Scroll Turbo which is NOT a twin/bi-turbo. It's a single turbocharger attached to the exhaust manifold that uses twin scroll technology. Now the M5 with the S63tu engine uses both Twin Turbo AND Twin Scroll technology.

I have actually read the white papers (technical papers) for the N54, N55, and S63tu so I could have a better understanding of how these engines work. If anyone would like the .pdfs of the white papers then let me know. [/COLOR]

Last edited:
all da crap you gotta go thru just to drive a bimmer....
laugh.gif

[COLOR=#red]A-Double, I still have my Bimmer and I'm at 113k miles my dude :lol: I hope to have it until at least I graduate and get my job. Heck if it can last my whole first year of the job even better. My next car will not be anything except EXACTLY what I want...which mean probably a newer 5 Series :rofl:g[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]A-Double, I still have my Bimmer and I'm at 113k miles my dude :lol: I hope to have it until at least I graduate and get my job. Heck if it can last my whole first year of the job even better. My next car will not be anything except EXACTLY what I want...which mean probably a newer 5 Series :rofl:g[/COLOR]

Word.

Back
Top Bottom