***New Reebok Pick-Ups, Release Info, etc.***

1989 was the year reebok brought the Pump basketball shoe for the first time. I was informed that the retail price was $175 in 1989. How was the reaction to the average customer when these first hot in 1989 with the $175 retail price tag? $175 for some basketball shoes in 1989 seems to be outragous for the time, so for those who remember, how was the reaction?
Here in the UK the Jordan Vs and the original Pumps were the first shoes to go above the £100 mark and like dmx said, it was more the status of wearing £100+ shoes that was the appeal as much as the design or even who was wearing them on court -if you walked into school/local mall wearing Jordans or Pumps you were doing it ...and everyone knew it.

As much as us older heads try to deny it nowadays, I guess we were the original hypebeasts ...having said that of course, the quality was so much superior that you "almost" got what you paid for in those days, so it was kinda justified.

Plus, the term "hype" was widely acceptable back then ...capiche? 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Reebok ES22 ProBowls

Anyone feelin these? I always liked these trainers but hated the brown sole on the ES22s, so when I saw these I was sold! Hope they look as good and are as good a quality as my Kamikaze IIs in person!

http://dl.thesource.com/content/264088_pk13i9yr8zqmi_al.jpg
Did this colorway actually drop back in the day? I want a pair of ES22 but I want a OG colorway. Want the club blue joints but the gum sole kills it, will wait for discount. The best colorway to drop of these is the gravel joints, which I will cop once discounted.

Last edited:
That's true dmxfury. I was in my senior year of high school...price was out of reach for me, but when someone wore then for PE, I would stare in aww!!

I actually thought it was 199 but the 175 could be correct. As far as reaction, it was like a Veblen good. The price was so high it was part of the attraction. And man when you saw them, reactions were crazy. Even through the first 3-4 years it was like that. Kids at school would all need to pump them, everyone stared, absolute awesomeness. Even parents knew what they were, rare in those days :lol:
I wonder what was reebok thinking in 1989 to charge $175 for a basketball shoe during that time? I thought it was controversial just like when the Jordan 17's released for $200 back in 2002, which was hitting News waves...

That's true dmxfury. I was in my senior year of high school...price was out of reach for me, but when someone wore then for PE, I would stare in aww!!
where were you when i got my pumps for 7th grade bball and my frickin coach clowned me... stupid lack of sneaker culture in rural texas :/

I wonder what was reebok thinking in 1989 to charge $175 for a basketball shoe during that time? I thought it was controversial just like when the Jordan 17's released for $200 back in 2002, which was hitting News waves...

I may be wrong, but I don't recall the original Pumps retailing for $175. I think they were more like $150 or $160.

IIRC, the Jordan IVs of the same time were 124.99.

Of course, there were the Nike Air Pressures, which were basically $200.

I'm not justifying the price of the Pumps, but I'm sure there was a hell of a lot of R&D that went into that shoe. Nike spent millions developing the AM1.

If you adjust for inflation, shoes were more expensive then than they are now. ...Some of that makes sense though, given that advances in production techniques, materials and economies of scale have worked in favor of the major companies. And, when it comes to retros, there's minimal R/D and marketing needed.

That's another major driver of shoe costs back in the day - there was major marketing associated with many premium shoes. Nowadays, only a few lines get a major publicity push, while retailers let the "classics" float on the inertia of the sneaker culture.

But, it was just a different time back then. Dressing fly in the streets was about style, but it was moreso about status and stripes.

been debating for like a year now on gettin pumps .. really want the dee brown omnis never got em back in the day smh ... always buyin the shoes i couldnt get in high school

they fit TTS right?

thanks

These came in the mail today. VERY happy about these.  They do run a little big but not too bad. A 9.5 would have been perfect but these 10s are fine. Reebok is becoming dangerous! What y'all think?

These came in the mail today. VERY happy about these.  They do run a little big but not too bad. A 9.5 would have been perfect but these 10s are fine. Reebok is becoming dangerous! What y'all think?
Yeah they're nice. I'm holding off on those and the Cardinals for the Kami Breds and ASG. 

I may be wrong, but I don't recall the original Pumps retailing for $175. I think they were more like $150 or $160.

I'm not justifying the price of the Pumps, but I'm sure there was a hell of a lot of R&D that went into that shoe. Nike spent millions developing the AM1.

If you adjust for inflation, shoes were more expensive then than they are now. ...Some of that makes sense though, given that advances in production techniques, materials and economies of scale have worked in favor of the major companies. And, when it comes to retros, there's minimal R/D and marketing needed.

That's another major driver of shoe costs back in the day - there was major marketing associated with many premium shoes. Nowadays, only a few lines get a major publicity push, while retailers let the "classics" float on the inertia of the sneaker culture.

But, it was just a different time back then. Dressing fly in the streets was about style, but it was moreso about status and stripes.

I remember the pumps being around 105 and the Jordan 4's being 100. Anyone else remember differently?

I remember the pumps being around 105 and the Jordan 4's being 100. Anyone else remember differently?

Jordan IV's were $110 in 1989.  The V's jumped to $125 in 1990, and they jumped $5-$10 every model for the next few years.

Peace,

J

Jordan IV's were $110 in 1989.  The V's jumped to $125 in 1990, and they jumped $5-$10 every model for the next few years.

Peace,
   J

this man speaks the truth.

i had no idea pumps cost that much back in the day lol

Back
Top Bottom