NEW TREND...ENGAGEMENT WATCHES...CHICKS'S GET RINGS...WE GET WATCHES

The engagement ring is the big flashy ring, and the wedding band is a simple gold band, just like the mens ring

I think.

Originally Posted by jmb1523

The engagement ring is the big flashy ring, and the wedding band is a simple gold band, just like the mens ring

I think.
Pretty much. The engagement ring usually has the diamond while the wedding band is usually a simple ring for everyday wear.

Generally seen the watch as the Bride's wedding gift to the groom. Not in lieu of a band.

I jumped the gun and we bought my watch w/ my wedding band. Got a nice price on both and was still an expensive day at the jeweler.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

DC, no wedding watch, just the watch and getting a Tungsten Carbide wedding band...they are tough and scratch resistant and doesn't cost much.

Finnns, we are going to have a low key wedding, we are more interested in the actual marriage than the wedding itself, plus we are in the DC area (very expensive to live) so we will save the wedding money and use it for a house in a year or so. I'm getting her a 1ct near colorless, Very slight inclusion VS1, ideal cut round diamond in an invisible platinum setting. I was gonna go for 1.5 ct, but aint paying an extra 5k for that. I'm not a baller
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Thanks for the info, I need an education on all this terminology. 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

We're talking about a woman's engagement ring right? Because you have got to #!@*. I'd be shocked if you told me you've ever had a close friend or family member get engaged. 
I have never asked a close friend or family member this question. Yea I am talking about the woman's ring. The engagement ring essentially is a base for the wedding ring right?
Getting the engagement ring is more important than the wedding day to a lot of women. 

Getting the engagement ring is more important than the wedding day to a lot of women. 
I know it is all about them but I really hate the social conditioning that has turned women (men to a lesser degree) to these materialistic creatures. I will have a hard time of being "cooperative" during that time, if it ever comes in my life. Can't see myself spending "money" on two damn rings. A wedding, etc. I just don't like throwing my $ away. All of that stuff wouldn't matter to me honestly. Could give a damn about it all. I don't care how deeply in love I am.

I'm hoping to propose to my girl next year sometime and I should definitely bring this up

I know it is all about them but I really hate the social conditioning that has turned women (men to a lesser degree) to these materialistic creatures. I will have a hard time of being "cooperative" during that time, if it ever comes in my life. Can't see myself spending "money" on two damn rings. A wedding, etc. I just don't like throwing my $ away. All of that stuff wouldn't matter to me honestly. Could give a damn about it all. I don't care how deeply in love I am.
Wedding bands are fairly cheap though.
But let me tell you something. I was dating a girl a few months back. She was a smokestack. Fake DD *******. Amazing %#%. At least a 7/10 in the face. Sent me naked pictures of herself while I was at work. It was Heaven man. Broke up with her one month later. Why? The topic of engagement rings came up. She said the rule was 4 months salary. 4 MONTHS. A third of my yearly salary. First, I'm not going to play by some stupid rule the jewelers floated out there way back when to get people to spend more money on rings. Second, if I'm making $250k+ by time I'm an attending (which is entirely reasonable), I'm not spending $85k on a ring. It's ridiculous. I told her she wouldn't know how much the ring cost anyways. Her comment? "I'd get it appraised and give it back to you if it wasn't worth what it should be." No lie. 

alien.gif

laugh.gif
@ It being a rule. See some women just are so consumed in the material it clouds their judgment. What if I can find a ring for 0.5 months worth that she likes better than anything I can buy from saving 4 months. I mean damn that is just stupid to me. What does it prove? Just puts them in a better position to stunt. That is what they want man. XMAS gifts, BDAY GIfts, V-Day, they just want something that will enable them to stunt harder (blatantly or subtlety) to the outside world. So when we give gifts, keep that in mind. "How much stunting will she be able to do with this gift." - That matters the most.

I know ALL women don't fall victim.

Wedding bands are fairly cheap though.
But let me tell you something. I was dating a girl a few months back. She was a smokestack. Fake DD *******. Amazing %#%. At least a 7/10 in the face. Sent me naked pictures of herself while I was at work. It was Heaven man. Broke up with her one month later. Why? The topic of engagement rings came up. She said the rule was 4 months salary. 4 MONTHS. A third of my yearly salary. First, I'm not going to play by some stupid rule the jewelers floated out there way back when to get people to spend more money on rings. Second, if I'm making $250k+ by time I'm an attending (which is entirely reasonable), I'm not spending $85k on a ring. It's ridiculous. I told her she wouldn't know how much the ring cost anyways. Her comment? "I'd get it appraised and give it back to you if it wasn't worth what it should be." No lie.

alien.gif

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Engagement rings seem like a waste to me, either that or I just don't get it. You buy an engagement ring, then go buy another wedding ring?? What's the point, do they still wear the engagement ring when married? Dumb question, but help me out 
laugh.gif
I am with you man. A bunch of pointless money spending to me. And probably by people that still live in a damn apartment. Whoever convinced the world that those rings are a sign of love is banking forever. Foolishness. Yea, do people ever look at engagement rings after it is all said and done?

You know what's crazy? The 3-month salary rule. De Beers thought of this ingenious marketing scheme which pushed the concept that men should spend 3 month's worth of salary on an engagement ring. Or 25% of your yearly income.

I know it's tradition, but it's ridiculous to me to be spending that much money on something so useless. Yes, it is useless. All an engagement ring has going for it is it's "symbolization"... I have no problem spending a lot of money on someone close to me or someone I love (I mean I don't embrace it but I wouldn't shut it down immediately), but come on, a ring? I'd rather give them something they'd use, like a car, or a down payment for our future home, hell even a plasma TV and Netflix.

What people do with their money is their own business. But spending thousands of thousands of dollars on a rare rock to signify your love for someone else? Like I thought she knew I loved her... she needs me to give her a diamond to solidify that?

Originally Posted by joeykadesh

It sounds cool, but a ring has much more meaning, I don't think a watch can capture that. 

Yea of course a ring has more meaning. How long has a ring been associated with marriage/engagement. If the watch thing catches on then it will gain meaning with time.

An engagement watch sounds like a great idea.

Okay, so how would someone else be able to tell that it's an engagement watch?

Originally Posted by CDUNK

Why should that matter? Or do you feel that is the point of it all? I agree with you though, how would anyone know it is an engagement watch? If nobody can tell what it is then it is pointless.

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

Curious as to how you feel about marriage? I just see it as a legal construct, am I shallow?

No, it would be great to marry a girl you love, and sure the whole ceremony thing might be nice, but the whole $ factor is ridiculous. Rings, Wedding dress for her, the actual wedding and party, People paying tens of thousands for weddings
sick.gif
 I'd rather spend that on a house, or even a vacation, not a party that lasts a few hours. I'm just not into it, waste of money, but I'm sure most girls dream of this big day since they were little, so..

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
DCAllAmerican wrote:

Originally Posted by CDUNK

Why should that matter? Or do you feel that is the point of it all? I agree with you though, how would anyone know it is an engagement watch? If nobody can tell what it is then it is pointless.

The groom will know it's an engagement watch, and it will come out in conversation.
Person: "Oh, that's a nice watch?"

Groom: "Thanks, my wife gave it to me as an engagement gift"

I know this conversation will never take place with DC, because I don't think he physically talks to people 
laugh.gif

You can clearly tell who is single and who has never been in a serious relationship.  Some times people need to accept that it isn't all about themselves.  An engagement may not mean anything to you, but if it is a symbol for her, why are should there be any qualmes about it.  The rules are silly, and pushed by jewelers, but that isn't an excuse to dismiss the symbolism of the ring completely.

Dude said a watch is "trivial".  If you really want to, you can make anything "trivial".

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

You can clearly tell who is single and who has never been in a serious relationship.  Some times people need to accept that it isn't all about themselves.  An engagement may not mean anything to you, but if it is a symbol for her, why are should there be any qualmes about it.  The rules are silly, and pushed by jewelers, but that isn't an excuse to dismiss the symbolism of the ring completely.

There are qualmes about it because a man is going to drop around 1/3 of his salary on the ring. It's easy to say how selfless and generous one is until he's in the position of giving up months of hard work and thousands of dollars.

I'm not saying don't buy the person you love something nice. But not all nice things have to cost so much.

And why does it matter who is single and who is in a serious relationship? A person's opinion isn't dependent on his status. I've never been in a serious relationship. If that makes my opinion in this matter invalid, that's just illogical reasoning.

It kind of does make your opinion invalid, and I don't mean it as an insult.
It's easy to say, "Yeah, I don't get what's the point of an engagement ring, blah blah blah, it's pointless, blah blah"  When you've never really been serious with a female.  On a deep level, on a "I want to do whatever it takes to make this girl/woman happy because I love her" level.  I'm not talking a "Get together first period, break up at lunch" girlfriend either.

Even if this girl you care about so deeply never says that she cares about the value of a ring, she will want a ring, and you will go out and try to find the best possible ring you can find.  The rules, like the "3 month salary" rule is ridiculous.  There really shouldn't be any rules, but I bet you won't go out and buy a cheap ring.

This thread is actually good info. I'm not well versed in engagement details either. So the woman buys the engagement watch in reciprocation of the ring? I'm good with that and a plain wedding band

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

It kind of does make your opinion invalid, and I don't mean it as an insult.
It's easy to say, "Yeah, I don't get what's the point of an engagement ring, blah blah blah, it's pointless, blah blah"  When you've never really been serious with a female.  On a deep level, on a "I want to do whatever it takes to make this girl/woman happy because I love her" level.  I'm not talking a "Get together first period, break up at lunch" girlfriend either.

Even if this girl you care about so deeply never says that she cares about the value of a ring, she will want a ring, and you will go out and try to find the best possible ring you can find.  The rules, like the "3 month salary" rule is ridiculous.  There really shouldn't be any rules, but I bet you won't go out and buy a cheap ring.

Ad hominem...

What would you say about my opinion had I lied and said I'm 35 years old and married? I could just as easily lie on the internet and you would never know. Would my opinion still be invalid? The opinion itself is what determines it's validity, not the person stating it.

Whatever though. Are you saying that every girl wants a ring, and that I'm going to go out and buy her the best one? Sure... if she wanted a ring, I'd get her one she wanted... but if she's the person who wants a 6 carat diamond ring, then I probably wouldn't be with her in the first place.

I'll admit you're right. I don't get the point of an engagement ring. And tell me how does being serious with a female change that? Okay, so she really wants one and it makes her happy. I still don't get the point of the ring.

I know girls who don't care about having a nice ring. They want a ring just because that's the tradition, but they aren't going to hold a grudge against a guy because he doesn't think it's appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom