NEW TREND...ENGAGEMENT WATCHES...CHICKS'S GET RINGS...WE GET WATCHES

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Getting the engagement ring is more important than the wedding day to a lot of women. 
I know it is all about them but I really hate the social conditioning that has turned women (men to a lesser degree) to these materialistic creatures. I will have a hard time of being "cooperative" during that time, if it ever comes in my life. Can't see myself spending "money" on two damn rings. A wedding, etc. I just don't like throwing my $ away. All of that stuff wouldn't matter to me honestly. Could give a damn about it all. I don't care how deeply in love I am.

Agreed, Im cheap.
 I rather add a pool,jacuzzi, steam room to our house then buy a ring i know I am gonna  lose.
I don't even want a ring.
I want a tattoo, cause you're never leaving me.

DCAllAmerican wrote:
CDUNK wrote:
Okay, so how would someone else be able to tell that it's an engagement watch?

Why should that matter? Or do you feel that is the point of it all? I agree with you though, how would anyone know it is an engagement watch? If nobody can tell what it is then it is pointless.

DC, while I do understand it's hard for you to have feelings about anything that doesn't involve sports
tongue.gif
, I'll try to explain.

You are right ULTIMATELY these material things mean nothing from a concrete standpoint...but from the abstract symbolism standpoint they do mean a lot...my only caveat is that is done out of love and appreciation and the two people be in love...if it's for anything else other than that then I myself don't agree with it. People will not know it's an engagement watch, BUT, I she's not getting it for people, she's getting it as a TOKEN of her appreciation of me as her future spouse. I say token because a material item cannot fully symbolize what that love is.

When in love...true unselfish love, you don't mind doing things for your loved one...provided it doesn't break you financially.

I didn't realize this was happening. i convinced my wife that i deserved a nice watch. it's only fair. i spend a lot of money on her ring along with the set up for the engagement. so she understood, (which is why i married her), got me a nice Movado watch (we're not rolling in it) and then got down on one knee. the rest is history.

Actually I can't agree with the idea that engagement/wedding rings aren't for the public perception. I think that is the main reason they exist, to stunt. I don't buy the, "It is for love" idea, it is a worthless piece of material. Man has made it valuable to the point that women (not all) believe the size/spark of the ring = the stronger the love/bond.

So yea, I can't get down with that logic at all man. I am 100% against the whole idea of it.

And the whole, "When you are in love you will do anything for that person" nah I can't agree with that either. Love is conditional not infinite/unconditional. Just because I "truly" love someone doesn't mean I will do any and everything for them. Again, social construct that doesn't make much sense when you break it down.

Actually I can't agree with the idea that engagement/wedding rings aren't for the public perception. I think that is the main reason they exist, to stunt. I don't buy the, "It is for love" idea, it is a worthless piece of material. Man has made it valuable to the point that women (not all) believe the size/spark of the ring = the stronger the love/bond.

So yea, I can't get down with that logic at all man. I am 100% against the whole idea of it.

And the whole, "When you are in love you will do anything for that person" nah I can't agree with that either. Love is conditional not infinite/unconditional. Just because I "truly" love someone doesn't mean I will do any and everything for them. Again, social construct that doesn't make much sense when you break it down.

Dc have you ever been in an adult relationship? Not trying to be funny either. Serious question.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Dc have you ever been in an adult relationship? Not trying to be funny either. Serious question.
If I said yes or no what would you believe was true? So essentially me answering would be pointless. But of course I have.

But please tell me what I said was false? The love being conditional part? Or the part where I said that true love doesn't mean do ANYTHING for someone. Sorry for not subscribing to fairy tale point of views when it comes to the L word.

If I said yes or no what would you believe was true? So essentially me answering would be pointless. But of course I have.

But please tell me what I said was false? The love being conditional part? Or the part where I said that true love doesn't mean do ANYTHING for someone. Sorry for not subscribing to fairy tale point of views when it comes to the L word.

It matters because I find it weird that you are anti-love and seem very cold. It's not about fairy tales but its also not a business deal. How is it possible that you have a problem marriage, rings, ceremonies, gifts, etc. Im not a trick or a lame but sooner or later you gotta give my dude. Especially to receive in return. I honest think you've never seen or experienced love first hand. Or maybe you were hurt real bad on the past. You sound scorned, cheap, and self centered....all things that repel women

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
at DC turning this thread into another marriage is dumb thread (i agree with you btw)

But I don't like watches or rings.  I will wear a cheap ring for the wife one day.  But I am all for some other engagement gift for the man. 

See that is the thing, I am not anti-love. I am just realistic about it. I am not bitter, I have not be scarred by any female. Because I am not whoopty-do about it and understand that it is an emotion (just like happy, sad, mad, etc) and it can change. Emotions are dynamic and I don't understand why love is any different.

I have a problem with marriages, rings, etc because I am frugal and I don't like spending my money. LOL. That is honestly 95% of it.

But I also understand that all of those things are for SHOW and really don't mean much in the long run. A marriage doesn't make love stronger. A ring doesn't make the bond stronger. They are just things. They mean nothing. I am not into things, I am into production. And if someone is telling me that I have to spend X-thousand(s) of dollars on a damn ceremony and rings to solidify my bond with a woman I emotionally am attached to, I would tell that person to go to hell.

Again, not bitter at all. Just realistic and don't see the point in it all.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
at DC turning this thread into another marriage is dumb thread (i agree with you btw)

But I don't like watches or rings.  I will wear a cheap ring for the wife one day.  But I am all for some other engagement gift for the man. 
See I never said marriage is dumb though. I don't think that. It is nice to have ceremonies for things but when it comes to people spending so much on it as opposed to paying off debt they already have, putting a down payment on a house then I think it is excessive. It is like people just splurge and allow themselves to rationalize it because it is "out of love." Love won't get your credit score up. So no, marriage isn't dumb. A wedding isn't dumb. When it is in excess (which most that I know of have been) then it is dumb. Same with rings, but I am not a jewelry dude so I have no desire to have or wear one. Buy me a cactus, something with an actual soul. Something I can wake up and speak to everyday. Not an object.

Marriage, love, relationships, and selflessness is not for everyone. If those concepts aren't for you and you don't agree with them, then by all means don't do it. There are way too many effed marriages because of people who are in them but don't really want to be.

I actually think DC's comments are refreshing and real, I can't be mad at a dude for feeling the way he does. I know what works for me though, and I am a giving person by nature, so it's no big deal to me...again YMMV.

With that being said, I can't wait for my Planet Ocean...I personally like them better than the Rolex Submariner line, as a matter of fact I explicitly told  my lady I do not want a Rolex...it's sorta like the dude who finally gets into some money and the first things they think they need are a Mercedes S600, and a Rolex. Well I'll go for the Audi S8 and an Omega.

a nation built on materialistic needs

makes you wonder where a couple's priorities are and why the divorce rate is so high

Originally Posted by Jking0821

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

See I never said marriage is dumb though. I don't think that. It is nice to have ceremonies for things but when it comes to people spending so much on it as opposed to paying off debt they already have, putting a down payment on a house then I think it is excessive. It is like people just splurge and allow themselves to rationalize it because it is "out of love." Love won't get your credit score up. So no, marriage isn't dumb. A wedding isn't dumb. When it is in excess (which most that I know of have been) then it is dumb. Same with rings, but I am not a jewelry dude so I have no desire to have or wear one. Buy me a cactus, something with an actual soul. Something I can wake up and speak to everyday. Not an object.

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Anyways how can you not agree with buying a ring or symbol of marriage within your financial range.  People who over do it or have "3 month salary" rules are nuts.  I'm confused to how you can have a problem with buying an affordable ring for your future wife. 

I swear DC please invite me to your future wedding I MUST MEET THIS CHICK! You have some unconventional ideas on life and I really wonder what type of chick is gonna agree.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Marriage must have post poned the panamera purchase huh OP

nerd.gif

laugh.gif

See that is the thing, I am not anti-love. I am just realistic about it. I am not bitter, I have not be scarred by any female. Because I am not whoopty-do about it and understand that it is an emotion (just like happy, sad, mad, etc) and it can change. Emotions are dynamic and I don't understand why love is any different.

I have a problem with marriages, rings, etc because I am frugal and I don't like spending my money. LOL. That is honestly 95% of it.

But I also understand that all of those things are for SHOW and really don't mean much in the long run. A marriage doesn't make love stronger. A ring doesn't make the bond stronger. They are just things. They mean nothing. I am not into things, I am into production. And if someone is telling me that I have to spend X-thousand(s) of dollars on a damn ceremony and rings to solidify my bond with a woman I emotionally am attached to, I would tell that person to go to hell.

Again, not bitter at all. Just realistic and don't see the point in it all.
This.

I am a fan of some really nice watches, but I'm not getting one to get engaged. I'll buy it when I have the money for it...I don't want to have to "plan" for it. 

I either have it, or I don't. 

It matters because I find it weird that you are anti-love and seem very cold. It's not about fairy tales but its also not a business deal. How is it possible that you have a problem marriage, rings, ceremonies, gifts, etc. Im not a trick or a lame but sooner or later you gotta give my dude. Especially to receive in return. I honest think you've never seen or experienced love first hand. Or maybe you were hurt real bad on the past. You sound scorned, cheap, and self centered....all things that repel women

With all due respect, it's a logical fallacy to discredit someone's opinion by looking at the person saying it.

I'm a generous person... I have no problem paying for my friends when we go to the convenience store, or getting someone some good Christmas gifts. But I do have a problem spending a lot of money for something which is essentially a symbol. If I want to propose to a girl, I would much rather buy something that she will use. It's not an issue of the money. It's an issue of spending money on something that just "shows I love her". If she wants a Honda or something, I would gladly pay for that instead of giving her a diamond ring.

It is aggravating when you work for minimum wage having to pick up after people just to talk to someone who wants you to take them to an expensive Italian dinner without them paying a cent. Money doesn't come easily at all. If the girl wants a ring, then I'll get her a ring. But I'm not going to get her one that costs more than a Macbook.

Originally Posted by scshift

With all due respect, it's a logical fallacy to discredit someone's opinion by looking at the person saying it.

I'm a generous person... I have no problem paying for my friends when we go to the convenience store, or getting someone some good Christmas gifts. But I do have a problem spending a lot of money for something which is essentially a symbol. If I want to propose to a girl, I would much rather buy something that she will use. It's not an issue of the money. It's an issue of spending money on something that just "shows I love her". If she wants a Honda or something, I would gladly pay for that instead of giving her a diamond ring.

It is aggravating when you work for minimum wage having to pick up after people just to talk to someone who wants you to take them to an expensive Italian dinner without them paying a cent. Money doesn't come easily at all. If the girl wants a ring, then I'll get her a ring. But I'm not going to get her one that costs more than a Macbook.

With all due respect arent you a 17 year old virgin?  Or a 18 year old freshman in college?

Your opinion is pretty immature and I'm sure will change homie.

Being Mexican, you're brought up seeing failed marriages that stay together for the sake of family. With that being said, not all marriages are failed but in my experience...it's all a farce and marriages are prolonged to save face. My ex once told my friend "I want a ring cause it would say that I am worth marrying". We all gave her the stone face. I rather be with someone for a long time without complicating it with marriage. Marriage is a girl thing. A man doesn't benefit from marriage in any way other than in the form of a bachelor party and tax break.

I, too, am very generous and know what LOVE is and been IN LOVE, etc. but never did I feel that meant I had to put on a minstrel show for my family and friends.

The other thing is why are women always in a rush to get married? If we are dating for a couple years I honestly dont think that is a prompt to get engaged or even think of planning a marriage. People change and 2 years is not enough time to know if you want to spend the rest of your life with me and vice versa.
Congrats though OP. 

Originally Posted by scshift

With all due respect arent you a 17 year old virgin?  Or a 18 year old freshman in college?

Your opinion is pretty immature and I'm sure will change homie.

When will y'all all realize the best way to deal with DCAll is to just agree with him? 
laugh.gif
He makes a living on the "anti" stance. He gets a woody off of taking the opposite view of status quo. He'll never concede a point. 

Back
Top Bottom