NEW TREND...ENGAGEMENT WATCHES...CHICKS'S GET RINGS...WE GET WATCHES

OP, is the wedding in Manassas? Let me get an invite. I'm like 2 minutes away from All Saints Church haha.

haha, i thought i was the only one who wore diesel watches, i never meet anyone with one on, and even less one with mine on, i guess thats cool tho

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

When will y'all all realize the best way to deal with DCAll is to just agree with him? 
laugh.gif
He makes a living on the "anti" stance. He gets a woody off of taking the opposite view of status quo. He'll never concede a point. 
What human being goes into an argument thinking they are wrong?

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Anyways how can you not agree with buying a ring or symbol of marriage within your financial range.  People who over do it or have "3 month salary" rules are nuts.  I'm confused to how you can have a problem with buying an affordable ring for your future wife. 

I swear DC please invite me to your future wedding I MUST MEET THIS CHICK! You have some unconventional ideas on life and I really wonder what type of chick is gonna agree.
I never said I won't do it, I just know I am going to hate doing it. I understand that it is a woman's day this and that, but I still view it as a worthless item. It might not be worthless to her, but to me it is worthless. I don't care how happy it makes her. I would do it for her, not for me. I don't give a damn about them. That is why I have a problem with it, I just think the "meaning" behind them is phony.

I personally wouldn't even want a ring though. I don't want that $ spent on me for something I deem pointless. She can save that $ and buy herself something. I don't need it. And for those that think I don't want it so I can do dirt, man if I wanted to do dirt I would do dirt. Ring or no ring. It isn't going to stop me from doing dirt.

Originally Posted by kiendienn

a nation built on materialistic needs

makes you wonder where a couple's priorities are and why the divorce rate is so high
Yea at the end of the day it is just a ring. Nothing further. It isn't magical, it doesn't alter moods, it is a piece of metal. Pointless material.

Marriage, love, relationships, and selflessness is not for everyone. If those concepts aren't for you and you don't agree with them, then by all means don't do it. There are way too many effed marriages because of people who are in them but don't really want to be.

I would assume those comments are directed towards me. What exactly is selfish about what I am saying? I never once said I wasn't going to go through with those things. I simply said I don't want to nor do I feel they are worth large sums of money. So I am selfish because I collectively want me and my partner to save $ and not spend it on a "show." (Which a wedding and ring is). I disagree with that. If anything I should be considered selfless since I don't want the theatrics that comes with the whole ordeal.

Seems fair.  We have to buy them a nice ring, it'd be great if they buy us something too.

When will y'all all realize the best way to deal with DCAll is to just agree with him? 
laugh.gif
He makes a living on the "anti" stance. He gets a woody off of taking the opposite view of status quo. He'll never concede a point. 
From the posts I've read from DC, if it involves spending money, then he is usually against it. 

They've been doing that in my culture forever (Pakistani). It's usually given along with the wedding band.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

I've never been married, so forgive my ignorance.. but do men even get engagement rings? I was under the impression that women received an engagement ring (during the proposal), then both the man and woman exchange wedding rings at the wedding ceremony?

For men, engagement watch + wedding ring is
pimp.gif
though

Engagement rings seem like a waste to me, either that or I just don't get it. You buy an engagement ring, then go buy another wedding ring?? What's the point, do they still wear the engagement ring when married? Dumb question, but help me out 
laugh.gif
I am with you man. A bunch of pointless money spending to me. And probably by people that still live in a damn apartment. Whoever convinced the world that those rings are a sign of love is banking forever. Foolishness. Yea, do people ever look at engagement rings after it is all said and done?
Son... Why are you opposed to every cultural standard? Like. I can understand you not following some traditions due to personal disagreement, but its like you disagree with EVERYTHING thats a standard tradition brought over to these modern day times. 
Its like whenever I see you post its a "who, what, when, where and why" type of response, emphasis on the "why". 

Like really though fam? You don't see the point in an engagement ring? Its not quantum physics my dude. 

But in any thread as always, I always respect your opinion, and I've got no problem with you having your own lifestyle and the rules you make for yourself. But I've always just wanted to ask you that original question up top. 

But as for this whole watch thing, I cant't get down with that. So what, am I supposed to wear the same damn watch every day? Because the woman will wear her ring every day and everywhere. so I assume the same rule still applies, right? That's dumb in itself to me, and that's where a ring makes more sense. Men don't wear a lot of rings (usually) so its like, "alright, I have this ring and I'll wear it and keep it on and it really won't be a hassle because I know I'm never going to want to wear another ring. It's not bothering me at all to wear this one ring". But with a watch its completely different. I have multiple watches I wear for many occasions. Thats like buying your girl a pair of engagement earrings. She's going to want to switch up her earrings according to the occasion. She's not going to wear some super formal earrings to a casual event, or to the grocery store, or to the gym. Same for a man and his watch. 

My point is, watches (much like earrings) are more of a fashion accessory. Given, yes, I know some people wear rings as fashion accessories, and I know the main purpose and function of a watch is to tell time, a watch just doesn't make sense to me to wear the same exact one every day no matter the occasion. 

I am not against EVERYthing. Don't exaggerate it. But a lot of things I have an issue with it. Why? How am I supposed to know why I question everything, just who I am.

And the point of an engagement ring is to stunt (as I mentioned earlier), so yes I know the point of it. Make the lady feel nice so she can show people she is engaged. That is the point. LOVE is not the point of it. Putting her in a position to talk about how "great" her soon to be marriage life is the point.

Let's see how many dudes opinions on marriage changes after this, also wonder how many women would ve as pushy to get married knowing theyll have to dish out 10k+ on a watch
laugh.gif

I like the traditional idea of getting your girl an engagement ring....my wife knows that the day she can easily afford one of those watches, I'll be waiting
smile.gif

I am not against EVERYthing. Don't exaggerate it. But a lot of things I have an issue with it. Why? How am I supposed to know why I question everything, just who I am.

And the point of an engagement ring is to stunt (as I mentioned earlier), so yes I know the point of it. Make the lady feel nice so she can show people she is engaged. That is the point. LOVE is not the point of it. Putting her in a position to talk about how "great" her soon to be marriage life is the point.
C'mon son. Am I really exaggerating? 
Every thread I go into (with the exception of women threads and the 2K thread for the most part) you're on the opposing side of the topic. And Its like I said before, I don't necessarily have a problem with it. I always respect your opinion and sometimes I even agree. So I don't want to sound like a hater, but I just wanted to know why is it? Like, its intriguing how you have so many opposing opinions on regular standards that if we were to ever really meet (which wouldn't be hard because we're both from the DMV) I would really just want to sit and hear your views on EVERYTHING because I've really never met a person who has a lot of opinions that are on the other side of the fence. 
Its not a bad thing to think they way you do, I just wanted to know where it all stems from.

You know how some people will give you a background on themselves to give you a better idea of how and why they think the way they do? That's what I mean. 

MY MAN HAS A POINT.

IT'S JUST MATERIALS.

WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN POOR COUNTRIES AND CAN'T AFFORD RINGS? DOES THAT MEAN THEY LOVE EACH OTHER LESS THAN PEOPLE WHO DO?

IN FACT, THE OPPOSITE IS OFTEN TRUE. THEY LOVE EACH OTHER MORE.

I agree with PRIME the purpose of an engagement ring won't transcend well with a watch, an engagement ring is not meant to come off, only when a wedding band replaces it and even then some women wear both, can't expect me to wear the same watch, just seems like a watch wouldn't have the same sentimental value or representation as the ring would, more like "oh I get you a ring, you get me a watch" all material and completely overlooking the actual meaning of it.

I am not against EVERYthing. .

Okay, what are you for then? Besides wasting your life making playbooks and player ratongs for basketball games. See, I can be SUPER judgmental too. It's very easy.

Originally Posted by PRIME

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Engagement rings seem like a waste to me, either that or I just don't get it. You buy an engagement ring, then go buy another wedding ring?? What's the point, do they still wear the engagement ring when married? Dumb question, but help me out 
laugh.gif
I am with you man. A bunch of pointless money spending to me. And probably by people that still live in a damn apartment. Whoever convinced the world that those rings are a sign of love is banking forever. Foolishness. Yea, do people ever look at engagement rings after it is all said and done?
Son... Why are you opposed to every cultural standard? Like. I can understand you not following some traditions due to personal disagreement, but its like you disagree with EVERYTHING thats a standard tradition brought over to these modern day times. 
Its like whenever I see you post its a "who, what, when, where and why" type of response, emphasis on the "why". 

Like really though fam? You don't see the point in an engagement ring? Its not quantum physics my dude. 

But in any thread as always, I always respect your opinion, and I've got no problem with you having your own lifestyle and the rules you make for yourself. But I've always just wanted to ask you that original question up top. 

But as for this whole watch thing, I cant't get down with that. So what, am I supposed to wear the same damn watch every day? Because the woman will wear her ring every day and everywhere. so I assume the same rule still applies, right? That's dumb in itself to me, and that's where a ring makes more sense. Men don't wear a lot of rings (usually) so its like, "alright, I have this ring and I'll wear it and keep it on and it really won't be a hassle because I know I'm never going to want to wear another ring. It's not bothering me at all to wear this one ring". But with a watch its completely different. I have multiple watches I wear for many occasions. Thats like buying your girl a pair of engagement earrings. She's going to want to switch up her earrings according to the occasion. She's not going to wear some super formal earrings to a casual event, or to the grocery store, or to the gym. Same for a man and his watch. 

My point is, watches (much like earrings) are more of a fashion accessory. Given, yes, I know some people wear rings as fashion accessories, and I know the main purpose and function of a watch is to tell time, a watch just doesn't make sense to me to wear the same exact one every day no matter the occasion. 

I'm sure you don't have to wear the watch everyday. It's not like you're gonna go around telling everyone "this is my engagement watch"

Originally Posted by HankMoody

I am not against EVERYthing. .

Okay, what are you for then? Besides wasting your life making playbooks and player ratongs for basketball games. See, I can be SUPER judgmental too. It's very easy.
Wasting my life doing things at work when there is nothing to do? Right. Nice try.

But like I said, I am for a lot of a things. Too many things to name. I will do you a favor, whenever there is something I agree with, I will make it known since you all say I disagree with everything. Of course when Bart Simpson doesn't pop someone in the face with his slingshot it goes overlooked if he does it 345 days out of the year.

Yeah, wasting your life. There is no meaning. It's a basketball game. All those wasted hours. And they say time is money. You go ahead though. You're doing it right. No rings but you got playbooks. And ratings.

See how easy this is? Take a step back.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Yeah, wasting your life. There is no meaning. It's a basketball game. All those wasted hours. And they say time is money. You go ahead though. You're doing it right. No rings but you got playbooks. And ratings.

See how easy this is? Take a step back.
I mean I "appauld" your effort but I am not spending/wasting money doing that. I am getting paid, idle, and using a computer. Not seeing how "easy" anything is.

As I said before, try again later.

Like others said, what's the point of a watch if no one knows the meaning behind it. I'd cop a $100 watch and call it a day if that's the point

There are far better uses of your time than a damn game. Like you think there are far better uses of money than a ring, right?

Originally Posted by oidreez

Originally Posted by PRIME

I'm sure you don't have to wear the watch everyday. It's not like you're gonna go around telling everyone "this is my engagement watch"
But that's whole point of the engagement ring, which would mean that becomes the whole point of the watch. The watch is taking the place of the ring so the same rules would have to apply. Just because its a watch that doesn't mean the rules wouldn't transfer over. You don't have to run around screaming out "I'M ENGAGED!! LOOK AT MY WATCH!" But the same general rule applies to the watch. It would be a symbol of love and engagement to your significant other. You can't bend the rules just because its a watch. 
And that's the entire point I'm trying to make though. You can't wear the same watch every day. Not only because you wear different watches for different occasions, but what about the days you just don't want to wear a watch? Is that fair to your fiance? Is it really fair that she has to wear the ring every day but you can take your watch off when and were you want? 

Because we all know if a dude stopped wearing his watch all the time, his fiance would be on some "what the %!#%?" type of attitude, and he would be in the doghouse. 

Originally Posted by ksteezy

I agree with PRIME the purpose of an engagement ring won't transcend well with a watch, an engagement ring is not meant to come off, only when a wedding band replaces it and even then some women wear both, can't expect me to wear the same watch, just seems like a watch wouldn't have the same sentimental value or representation as the ring would, more like "oh I get you a ring, you get me a watch" all material and completely overlooking the actual meaning of it.

Originally Posted by BrotherForReal

ksteezy since you're married, compa...how do you feel after it was all said and done?

I'm very happy, married my best friend, building on a future together, the ring is a small price to pay in order to put a smile on her face, for those who view it as just a materialistic thing....here is what a lot of dudes fail to see, specially those who's relationship has not reached that selfless level, the engagement ring is not about us guys, it's about her...it's what a lot of women have been programmed to since birth, you expect to come by and re-program what has been drilled into her since a little girl?...c'mon bros...you really gonna deprive the love of your life of it simply because of your own selfish ideals?...what's a couple a grand?...majority of us have blown far more on sneaker collections, jewelry, cars, all which are really meaningless materialistic things, the hipocrisy of some of you to judge....c'mon man

Back
Top Bottom