New video of the Oscar Grant shooting

[h1]New Use Of Force Accusation Surfaces Against Mehserle[/h1]
Thursday, January 15, 2009 - updated: 12:33 am PST January 16, 2009

OAKLAND, Calif. -- A new accusation against Johannes Mehserle involving the use of force has emerged after an Oakland man told KTVU Mehserle was among a group of overly-aggressive BART officers who beat him up two months ago. And he says if his attempt to complain about it had gone differently, New Year's Day might have gone differently too. Kenneth Carrethers is carrying a heavy burden. He says if he'd pushed harder and if BART made it easier to complain about a problem police officer, then its possible Oscar Grant would still be alive. When discussing the fatal officer-involved shooting early New Year's Day that led to Grant's death, Carrethers has plenty of empathy with the victim: "I definitely felt like that could have been me." That's because Carrethers says six weeks earlier, an officer he now knows from a police report was Mehserle and other BART officers confronted him at the Oakland Coliseum BART station. Ken Carrethers said he'd just gotten off a BART train and was talking to a woman passenger he didn't know about how someone had broken into his car in the BART parking lot twice. "There were approximately 6 to 7 police officers standing there, I leaned over and said 'See, that's why; because they stand around with their hands in their pockets.' At this point, one of the officers heard me and said I needed to mind my own business," remembered Carrethers. In his police report about the incident, Mehserle wrote that Carrethers was yelling and took a combative stance toward an officer. Carrethers said Mehserle was the aggressor. "Mehserle said 'Have you learned not to mess with police?' And I said 'All I know is you beat me up,'" said Carrethers. Carrethers, a hotel engineer, was checked out in a hospital en route to jail. He's now charged with resisting arrest. "If the charge is resisting arrest, then the question becomes arrest for what?" said attorney John Scott when asked about Carrethers description of the incident. Carrethers called BART to file a excessive force complaint against Mehserle and just got this letter and form dated January 7th. BART first questioned why Carrethers waited until after the New Year's shooting, but Thursday night confirmed Carrethers did contact BART before Christmas. Apparently the lone officer who handles complaints was on vacation until last week, a week after Oscar Grant was killed. "I attempted to get help, but nobody would listen," said Carrethers. He now hopes the charges against him will be dropped since the officer he allegedly resisted, now charged with murder, is not likely to be available to testify in court.
Copyright 2009 by KTVU.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/18489516/detail.htmlhttp://www.ktvu.com/news/18489516/detail.html

Damn I am so glad I haven't been assaulted by cops. I'm definitely going to keep my mouth shut if I get arrested again.

Its getting worse and worse
tired.gif

Did you guys see this new video?��� Oscar Grant was hit in the face and knocked down before the other cop shot him.....�
smh.gif

BART police officer involved in fatal shooting outside West Oakland Station
By Kimberly Veklerov and Michael Cabanatuan

Updated 9:59 pm, Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Now Playing: Officer-involved shooting outside West Oakland BART station sends two to hospital
Oakland police give details on an officer-involved shooting that unfolded outside the West Oakland BART station Wednesday afternoon.

A BART police officer was involved in a shooting outside the West Oakland Station Wednesday evening that killed one man and sent another to the hospital with serious injuries, authorities said.

What happened at Seventh and Chester streets, across from the West Oakland BART Station and in front of the Upperkutz barbershop, remains unclear, and Oakland police said they wouldn’t offer any more details before Thursday morning.

But one witness told The Chronicle she saw two men arguing before shots rang out. Another said she saw one man shoot the other in the leg, prompting a BART police officer to run across the street from the station and shoot him.

• 920x920.jpg
Photo: Kimberly Veklerov / San Francisco Chronicle

IMAGE 1 OF 10
Evidence markers can be seen on the ground where Oakland police say a BART officer-involved shooting took place outside of the West Oakland BART station.

A video posted on Facebook, apparently from someone inside the barbershop, shows the chaotic aftermath of the shooting with two bodies on the sidewalk and people wandering through the crime scene, talking to and approaching the victims.

The shooting took place at 4:41 p.m. across Seventh Street from the station entrance, Oakland police said. Officer Johnna Watson, Oakland Police Department spokeswoman, said in a statement that BART police reported that one of their officers had been involved in a shooting and requested Oakland’s assistance.

“Upon arrival, Oakland police officers learned that an on-duty BART PD officer, dressed in full police uniform, discharged their service firearm and two adult males were transported to a local hospital for medical attention,” Watson said.

At about 6:30 p.m., Watson reported that one of the two men had died at the hospital. The other was in stable condition.

A handgun was found on the ground at the scene, she said.

A witness who identified herself only as Quinn, 32, of Oakland, said she was eating in a Mexican restaurant on Seventh Street when she witnessed an argument between a man in his 20s and another in his late 30s as they walked in and out of the business.

The younger man was shooting video of the older one on his phone as they argued. Maybe a minute after they exited the restaurant, Quinn said, she heard one gunshot and then, after a brief pause, five or six more.

Quinn said she hid in the rear of the restaurant and then emerged moments later and saw the younger man on the ground, obviously shot.

“Everybody was standing around, and I yelled, ‘Is anybody going to do CPR?’ Nobody did anything,” she said.

She attempted CPR, Quinn said, and BART police pushed her away. It seemed to her that the younger man was dead, she said. The older man was on the ground 2 feet away, handcuffed, she said.

Another witness, Laquisha Stanley said she was at a nearby doughnut shop when she noticed a friend get into a dispute with a man he knew. The pair walked down the street, arguing, she said, and the other man shot her friend in the leg.

A BART police officer who was watching from the station’s parking lot ran over and shot the man who fired the gun, Stanley said.

“It’s a sad situation, because it’s the third of the year,” she said. “We haven’t even finished the first week and we have another killing. ... They both lost today.”

BART said the West Oakland Station remained open and that train service was not affected. Some commuters, however, were unable to get to their cars during the investigatio

Back
Top Bottom