New York Yankees Official Thread - vs O’s, 51-24 - Cole back!

Imagine being Austin Wells, or Pereira or even Peraza watching Josh Donaldson and Ben Rortvedt but knowing they can’t get a legit chance :lol: Straight confidence killer. The Yanks on their big white board probably have Pereira coming up at the age of 24 no matter how much he kills AAA:lol:
Pereira is supposed to be called up before the end of the season but when he is, he needs to play consistently. That’s something the organization doesn’t do well with on call ups. Like last year, they finally called up Peraza after he was red hot and played him sparingly. The games he did play, he produced. How are you really going to see what you have if they’re not getting consistent at bats?

Pereira should be called up by now. Has been tearing up triple aA all season. May not hurt to take a look at Wells. They have arms in Triple A they can take a look at like Beeter and Warren.

Dominguez’s numbers may not look great, but his 2nd half of the season he’s posted numbers that are on par for him. The last month/month and a half he’s been red hot. Not saying he should be called right up, but at least maybe a look at promoting to triple A. His time table to be up with Yanks is mid/2nd half/end of next season.
Pereira is 22 with less than 100 games over A ball. Even elite guys like Gunnar and Carrol get more time. I get the season is a wash but rushing guys just to "get a look" is a good way to ruin them real quick. Wells is older and has more time down there so I'm cool with him coming up at some point.

Do you think it hurts their confidence when they know they’ll be stuck in the minors pretty much no matter what they do because of a certain age, year or date the Yankees have in mind to call them up?
No, it's the same for all young players. It's not even so much age, it's experience at different levels. Throwing a guy out there that has 50 games at AA is asking to ruin them. The only kid I've seen get super rushed and work out is Juan Soto and he's the exception to the rule. He's a special kinda freak hitter.

Imagine excelling at your job and not getting a promotion because of stubborn management sticking with subpar employees but other businesses are steady taking chances on the younger employees and watching some of them excel. That Has to HURT your confidence.
OK so you don't follow players outside of the Yankees. Got it, so this is pointless. If a kid like Pereira thinks he should be on the Gunnar or Carrol timeline, he's delusional.

Also I think at certain point with the Yanks knowing how they are with the kids (except Volpe) when they do get the call up they try too hard and it’s hard for them to relax or get in a groove. Then the get sent back down and are probably deflated because they weren’t given a decent chance and probably knew they blew their chance because the Yanks are about to sign or trade or keep rolling with some washed up vet now.
Yea that tends to happen a lot when you rush guys. Judge was 24 with 200+ games at AA/AAA before he came up and it showed. Volpe was 22 with 100 and it shows.

Imagine being Austin Wells, or Pereira or even Peraza watching Josh Donaldson and Ben Rortvedt but knowing they can’t get a legit chance :lol: Straight confidence killer. The Yanks on their big white board probably have Pereira coming up at the age of 24 no matter how much he kills AAA:lol:
He's 22. Let him finish the year at AAA and plan on bringing him up at some point next year. Rushing him this year just to "get a look" and see him struggle as bad as Volpe has, that's what kills confidence.

What difference does age and games make? If you’re ready you’re ready. So you have to be a certain age and games played in the minors? That’s flawed thinking. If you’re killing it and don’t see a reward in the near future that will mess with you mentally too.

Pereira is 22 with less than 100 games over A ball. Even elite guys like Gunnar and Carrol get more time. I get the season is a wash but rushing guys just to "get a look" is a good way to ruin them real quick. Wells is older and has more time down there so I'm cool with him coming up at some point.
They have already said they intend to call him up this year. Not every player needs a certain time frame in the minors to earn a promotion.

I don’t think we can use the Aaron Judge comparison of him being 24 when he made he’s debut. He was also 21 when the Yanks drafted him.

Elly 21, Matos 21, Jordan walker 20,AJ shawver 20,eury Perez 20, these are 21 and under that came to the bigs this year and held their own.

While Volpe has struggled, he’s at least turned it around in forwards the right direction. Since the infamous “chicken parm” meal he’s 115 wRC+, dropped his K rate, raised his BB rate.

Yea his average during that span is .250, but that’s actually better than his average before lol. It’s been an adjustment for him this season which happens. He’s also having an adjustment period when no one in the lineup is hitting or doing anything and Judge missed a significant portion of the season.

Also, when Judge got called up after the deadline we sold at, he didn’t set the world on fire and struggled quite a bit. That was with 200+ games at AA/AAA.

Article is an 5 years old and long but maybe someone can summarize. Just skimmed through it. Will read it in a little bit.

Elly 21, Matos 21, Jordan walker 20,AJ shawver 20,eury Perez 20, these are 21 and under that came to the bigs this year and held their own.
Elly played 200 games at AA/AAA.

Your only argument is "The current guy we have suck, may as well throw the kids out there." You're not even saying "Throwing these kids out there is best for their development." If we're having a good year, you're not calling for all the kids to come up. That says all that needs to be said. We need to do what's best for the development, not feed them to the wolves to make a few fans happy to end this season. Show some patience and hopefully it pays off.

Elly only had 85 games at AA/AAA.

47 at AA in 2022
38 at AAA in 2023
My bad, looked at it wrong. Find a guy in our system with his skill set and a 1.000 OPS at AA/AAA and I'm cool with bringing that guy up at 21 with less than 100 over A ball.

I get that. But not all prospect have to run on a certain timetable or timeframe especially with the Yankees track record of developing prospects.

fastest guy i ever seen come up and be successful was Andrew Jones, i think .

he's always the guy i remember, him and Manny. they both came up pretty fast and had HOF careers. definitely doesn't happen often.

i'm sure theres guys i'm missing but these 2 always come to mind ...

1691953124411.jpeg

Volpe got pop. this kid really might be something special for real . :smokin

He’s definitely been better than the first half of the season. Sucks it took Austin Wells to point out the flaw in his swing lol.

Back
Top Bottom