New York Yankees Official Thread - vs O’s, 51-24 - Cole back!

I can’t believe this lol. I leave for the gym with this team up 7-2 in the 7th thinking man finally we get a decent series win against a solid team . I come out the gym to the notification that we somehow lost ??? They can’t give us ANYTHING to cheer about my goodness

Even the most optimistic of Yankees fans who held on to hope has to agree that “that’s a wrap” today.

At least Volpe is a better man than Wander.

That’s the only takeaway I have from this season.

And Gleyber is good.

Top half of the league would be good no? You may be thinking elite. He’s not there yet and may not get there. But out of all 2nd basemen he’s top 10 in AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS, HR, and R. So good? Yea. Elite? No.

Top 10-12 2b is good? Guess we have different definitions of good.

t-6th in runs
8th in hits
13th in 2B
13th in 3B
t-4th in HR
t-11th in RBIs
4th in BB
6th best in SO
t-6th in SB
9th in BA
8th in OBP
7th in SLG
10th in OPS
9th in wRC
4th in WAR

But let's look at the American League as a whole of qualified players
t-16th in runs
15th in hits
t-42nd in 2B
t-17th in 3B
t-16th in HR
t-36th in RBIs
t-18th in BBs
t-8th best in SO
19th in BA
t-17th in SB
24th in OBP
24th in SLG
26th in OPS
25th in wRC
25th in WAR

Hasn't received any benefit from Yankee stadium (only 2 that are HRs in less than half of the ballparks. And one double that was a HR in 29 of 30 ballparks).
He also plays in a bottom 10 hitters ballpark for everything outside of home runs. 24th in 1B, 29th in 2B & 29th in 3B over the last 3 years.
All while playing in a bottom 10 offense this year.

The 2B position has a lot of talent. Is Gleyber elite? Pointless debate because he shouldn't be asked to be Judge.
Is Gleyber part of the reason Yankees are where they are? No
Is he less than what he was supposed to be based prospect hype? Yes.
Is he still a really good ballplayer, and only 26? Yes.
Should they give him a new deal? Yes.

Last edited:
Top half of the league would be good no? You may be thinking elite. He’s not there yet and may not get there. But out of all 2nd basemen he’s top 10 in AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS, HR, and R. So good? Yea. Elite? No.
He's 12th in fWar for 2b. Not bad, not great. He's OK.

Again, top half of the league. That would make him good. No one said great or elite.

Also have to think of what if he was in a lineup that actually produced and wasn’t terrible?

t-6th in runs
8th in hits
13th in 2B
13th in 3B
t-4th in HR
t-11th in RBIs
4th in BB
6th best in SO
t-6th in SB
9th in BA
8th in OBP
7th in SLG
10th in OPS
9th in wRC
4th in WAR

But let's look at the American League as a whole of qualified players
t-16th in runs
15th in hits
t-42nd in 2B
t-17th in 3B
t-16th in HR
t-36th in RBIs
t-18th in BBs
t-8th best in SO
19th in BA
t-17th in SB
24th in OBP
24th in SLG
26th in OPS
25th in wRC
25th in WAR

Hasn't received any benefit from Yankee stadium (only 2 that are HRs in less than half of the ballparks. And one double that was a HR in 29 of 30 ballparks).
He also plays in a bottom 10 hitters ballpark for everything outside of home runs. 24th in 1B, 29th in 2B & 29th in 3B over the last 3 years.
All while playing in a bottom 10 offense this year.

The 2B position has a lot of talent. Is Gleyber elite? Pointless debate because he shouldn't be asked to be Judge.
Is Gleyber part of the reason Yankees are where they are? No
Is he less than what he was supposed to be based prospect hype? Yes.
Is he still a really good ballplayer, and only 26? Yes.
Should they give him a new deal? Yes.
No, he's not elite. There is no debate to be had. As for contract, depends on what he's asking for. I'm cool with keeping him around but he's not a guy you break the bank for.

Yea no one said he’s elite.
Smh dude is a huge Gleybar homer and was just wanting to say he was right about something. He did the same **** with Sanchez. Gleyber has been OK this year. Not bad, not great. 12th in the league in fWar is middle of the pack. He's just a guy. We expected way more from him. "Well at least he's been slightly above league average" isn't good to me.

All he said was good, which he’s been considering our lineup. Top half of the league = good. No one said great or elite.

All he said was good, which he’s been considering our lineup. Top half of the league = good. No one said great or elite.
You're ignoring rhe context of multiple years of him being a Gleyber homer and no way we can trade him blah blah blah. He's a guy. He's way under what he was expected. If we're here in 5 years and Volpe is barely over league average, are we going to say "Hey Volpe is good!"? I mean you can, but I'll say hea a bust that didn't live up to the hype. Gleyber was supposed to be Wander minus the pedo. He's not close. He's not terrible but he's not a difference maker either.

I’m not ignoring that. I’m going by what was said within the last 24hrs. I’ve said I’m ok with trading him. I’m also ok with keeping him.

Back
Top Bottom