New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Stros, 23-13

With Judge on pace for 66 it will be interesting how the media/baseball writers compare this vs the roid era

I've been wondering the sane thing. Will 74 be considered the record breaker or 62 again ?

Be crazy tho if he hit like 75 unroided. Imagine Judge juiced up, probably look like Thanos

jav5d2q2jiv41.png

I've been wondering the sane thing. Will 74 be considered the record breaker or 62 again ?

Be crazy tho if he hit like 75 unroided. Imagine Judge juiced up, probably look like Thanos

jav5d2q2jiv41.png

Going to be interesting for sure - can’t wait to hear the old timers

I wanted to look at the back half of the lineup because something still seems off there to me.

Trevino hit his ceiling with a .309 batting average on June 11. Since then .204/.240/.317 (.557OPS) 5-2B 2-HR 12RBI 4BB 21Ks
Higashioka had his random 4 HRs in a couple weeks that happens once a year. Since 4HR 7RBIs June 12-19 .211/.279/.290 (.569 OPS) 1HR 3RBI 4BB 10Ks
Donaldson since beginning of June .205/.248/.348 (.606 OPS) 11-2B 4HR 20RBI
Hicks has played well for 2 months with an .802 OPS, but very little power 4-2B 2-3B 5-HR

Josh Donaldson has provided nothing to write home about power, and hasn't been helpful on the offensive side. Because the 6th spot in the order has been bad, it means someone like Hicks who is playing decent, but if you extrapolate his June-July to a whole year, 14-2B 16-HRs is bad coupled with Donaldson's power numbers. Yankees aren't getting much of anything power wise from 6 & 7 spots.

If you keep going through the lineup based on 6 & 7, it means someone like IKF who had a 15 game hit streak, and is making good contact, but because it comes with 0 power. half of the order is playing station to station small ball baseball, and there's not enough guys who hit well enough to do it. Trevino/Higgy have been bad for well over a month, so if there isn't a RISP, IKF isn't going to drive them in, and then Trevino/Higgy aren't going to produce either.
Luckily, Gallo isn't in the mix anymore because he makes it even worse, and he's a power only guy with no ability to even hit a ball to get power. (It's why Stanton can get a pass for being really bad average wise the last 2 months because in June/July based on HR & RBI pace Stanton would be a 40HR 80RBI guy despite hitting .167)

How do you fix it? Short of making another trade, which I don't think is going to happen for the lineup, you can't play Donaldson anymore. He's been so unequivocally bad compared to even a pre-season worst case scenario projection. He's the lynch pin that makes Hicks' decent play, and IKF's good play meaningless because neither has the power to drive guys in consistently, and because none of the 3 are providing power, even if you have positive results, Trevino/Higgy are not playing well at all to capitalize.

It's fine for the lineup to tail off at the end, it's expected. But Donaldson-Hicks-IKF-Trevino 6 through 9 based on style of play is detrimental even when 2 of the 4 are playing well.

Last edited:
Not reading all that. Will assume you're nitpicking that we don't have 9 Judge's in the lineup instead of being ecstatic that we have the best record in baseball going into August.

Not reading all that. Will assume you're nitpicking that we don't have 9 Judge's in the lineup instead of being ecstatic that we have the best record in baseball going into August.

Don’t do that man - this response wasn’t needed. Read it or don’t just move on please.

Let’s not turn this thread into a back and forth between fans rooting for THE SAME team.

Can't wait to read the "We're really bad at *insert his area to nitpick for the week*" the week after we win the World Series. And heavin forbid we don't win it, he'll be the "See, told you guys!" guy that always wants to be the smartest guy in the room at the expense of being an annoying nit.

Back
Top Bottom