New York Yankees Official Thread - at Phils; 64-45 - Jazz Show is LIVE

boone is back!?! WOW

boone is the problem folks, he doesnt have the skill to manage......this pllayoffs showed it, the biggest outs needed and he doesnt put in his best guys??? that happened at least 3 times. we are not winning with this guy.

do you guys understand every season we have had 40+ game stretches where we are 500 or worse??? we are not winning with this guy.

100 win seasons because of LOT of talent

does a great manager win this series vs this astros team??? probably not....but splitting in houston makes this a series that can go 6-7, we got swept because of the manager plain and simple....his best player stinking didnt help i'll give him that.....but 4 Ls in a ROW??? come on man

No we did not get swept because of our manager. We had zero timely hits. Hell, we struggled to hit period against a team that’s dangerous at the plate period. Having a depleted pen and missing two contact hitters that help lengthen the lineup due to injuries made that series incredibly tough to win.

313015277_532841728850702_5613253562168732408_n.jpg

some more egg for this clown's face ....

My opinion on the Infield

C:
Fine with Trevino, I'll spare you the pitching stats from 2021 to 2022 btw because I don't want to start WW3.
Unload Higashioka for whatever, and bring up Austin Wells, and see what he's got. Whatever Higashioka gives or doesn't give, it's time to move on, and see if they can get an extra arm for him. An Adam Warren level pitcher. I love using Warren as an example :lol:

1B:
Re-sign Rizzo. 3 year / $52mil. Maybe a 4th year with a $4mil buyout would make him the 7th highest paid 1B based on who has deals right now. A decline in bat speed and decline in defense is the only reason why I wouldn’t go near $20mil, and the 3year/$52mil is basically the Jose Abreu deal from 2020, which seems like a decent comp age wise.

If he gets $20mil, you let him walk, and go after Josh Bell instead. To replace a lefty bat with a switch hit bat.

2B:

Gleyber – I honestly think he’s the most likely guy on the team to be traded, but I think it’s a huge mistake, especially with the talent deficiencies. Unless you’re getting a weak Ace for him, you shouldn’t be letting him go. DJ also should go back to the utility role, it not only suited him better, but it also provides a lot of versatility to the Yankees lineup. Whereas, if you have DJ as the everyday 2B, or even the everyday 3B, the lineups become a lot more difficult to mix and match to be creative whether it’s IKF or Volpe as the bench guy. I honestly also think there should be some consideration to Gleyber getting an extension as well.

Year (2B Rank out of 17 qualifiers): .257 ( 8th)/ .310 (11th) / .451 (4th) 24HR (3rd)/ 76RBI (3rd) / 28 – 2B ( 8th)

Outside of his disaster August, which was directly after they leaked that they had a deal in place to trade Gleyber he was a top 5-2B offensively all year.

He basically got back to the level he was when he burst onto the scene in 2018 as a rookie. His defense wasn’t a detriment. I don’t think he’s the 2019 guy who hit 38 HRs, I don’t think most of the guys from 2019 are what they were in 2019. But he’s not far off from what 2022 was, and being Top 4 amongst 2B in the slash line, and top 3 in XBHs. Also what I have in my head lineup wise would be crazy to pitch to.

DJ – The only thing I can say I actually dislike about DJ is the positions that ownership and management put him in. He’s shouldn’t be the leadoff hitter, and he’s not good enough to be penciled in at one position every day. Where he’s great is that he has versatility. He gets on base way more than Gleyber, but I wouldn’t say I want him at 2B over him for offensive reasons. He doesn’t hit for enough power to bat at 1B, and same for 3B. But if he’s your first guy off the bench, and is the person who gives 1B, 2B & 3B a break, and fills in for injuries, is your pinch hitter late in games on his days off, and gets 120-130 games that way, he’s probably the best guy for that spot in the league.

If we take DJ’s leadoff stats and compare to each team’s stats for leadoff hitters .256/.358/.372 would be 12th, 4th, 18th, and this is where Oswald Peraza comes in, and saying it’s the kid’s time. Oswald was ranked 59th fastest sprint speed, DJ was ranked the 420th sprint speed. Oswald showed he can hit at every level, if you’re going to say it’s time, it’s time to put him in a prominent role.

SS
Oswald Peraza. See what you have, give him an entire year. And just see if it’s the real deal. If not, you cut the cord next offseason and go with Volpe in 2024.

Trade IKF. He’d be fine as a backup, but honestly you could get a diamond in the rough RP based on how they scout RPs for IKF pretty easily. And adding one more steady and reliable RP is worth way more than you can get from IKF. And if he’s your starting SS next year, people will lose their ****.

3B
Do whatever it takes to get rid of Josh Donaldson, he’s owed $21mil next year. And then a $6mil option in 2024. Eat $14mil of his deal for 2023, attach a few prospects in the 11-30 range, and pay the opt out for 2023. Some team will bite on paying $7-8mil just to throw him out as either their 3B or DH. Minimal risk especially if you get some long shot prospects out of it.

There’s no way they can bring him back for 2023. And even if it takes eating a ton of money you have to. As divisive as Gary Sanchez was, he wasn’t even remotely hated as much as Donaldson was, and even if Donaldson were to hit 25 HRs and 70RBIs, he’d still be hated. He hit 15HRs and 62RBIs for reference.

He was 18th in OBP, he was 19th in SLG, he was 13th in HRs, 16th in RBIs. among 3B A miserable, miserable experience, and even if he was OKAY, not a single one of us would be happy watching him play.

Which leads me to what’s the answer at 3B. And it’s Free Agency. Nolan Arenado and Carlos Correa are right there. There was talk going into last offseason about Correa moving to 3B long term. Here’s your opportunity. Probably looking at 6-7 years $160-190mil for Arenado, and 7-8 years like $210-250mil for Correa.

It’s a necessary move, and probably the most necessary one they must make. They need to add a big time bat to the lineup, something that gets them to Judge at 3 and Stanton at 4.

Breakdown not including injuries:
C- Trevino - 100 / Wells - 62
1B- Rizzo - 125 / DJ - 37
2B- Gleyber - 130 / DJ - 32
3B - FA - 130 / DJ - 32
SS - Peraza - 120 / Cabrera - 25 / Volpe - 15 (August and September)
IFs DH games - Rizzo 15 / FA at 3B - 15 / DJ and Gleyber split 15 (Stanton gets about 120 games at DH, should get once a week at either LF or RF).

Spending ramifications:
C- Probably comes out even. Replacing Higgy's Y1 Arb for now Trevino Y1 Arb, and Wells on a rookie deal.
1B - If you sign Rizzo back for 3 yr at $14mil, you save $2mil on his deal.
2B - Even money for DJ. About $1.5mil more for Gleyber
SS - save $4-4.5mil on moving IKF and going to Peraza.
3B - Save $8mil on Donaldson, spend about $30mil on a FA 3B. For a total of $22mil more from 2022.
Comes out to spending an extra $18mil on the infield to add Arenado or Correa

I'll do OF and Pitching over the weekend

Last edited:
Benintendi should be resigned. Lineup was in need of contact hitters and guys that can get on base. Should be reasonably affordable.

C:
Fine with Trevino, I'll spare you the pitching stats from 2021 to 2022 btw because I don't want to start WW3.
Unload Higashioka for whatever, and bring up Austin Wells, and see what he's got. Whatever Higashioka gives or doesn't give, it's time to move on, and see if they can get an extra arm for him. An Adam Warren level pitcher. I love using Warren as an example :lol:

1B:
Re-sign Rizzo. 3 year / $52mil. Maybe a 4th year with a $4mil buyout would make him the 7th highest paid 1B based on who has deals right now. A decline in bat speed and decline in defense is the only reason why I wouldn’t go near $20mil, and the 3year/$52mil is basically the Jose Abreu deal from 2020, which seems like a decent comp age wise.

If he gets $20mil, you let him walk, and go after Josh Bell instead. To replace a lefty bat with a switch hit bat.

2B:

Gleyber – I honestly think he’s the most likely guy on the team to be traded, but I think it’s a huge mistake, especially with the talent deficiencies. Unless you’re getting a weak Ace for him, you shouldn’t be letting him go. DJ also should go back to the utility role, it not only suited him better, but it also provides a lot of versatility to the Yankees lineup. Whereas, if you have DJ as the everyday 2B, or even the everyday 3B, the lineups become a lot more difficult to mix and match to be creative whether it’s IKF or Volpe as the bench guy. I honestly also think there should be some consideration to Gleyber getting an extension as well.

Year (2B Rank out of 17 qualifiers): .257 ( 8th)/ .310 (11th) / .451 (4th) 24HR (3rd)/ 76RBI (3rd) / 28 – 2B ( 8th)

Outside of his disaster August, which was directly after they leaked that they had a deal in place to trade Gleyber he was a top 5-2B offensively all year.

He basically got back to the level he was when he burst onto the scene in 2018 as a rookie. His defense wasn’t a detriment. I don’t think he’s the 2019 guy who hit 38 HRs, I don’t think most of the guys from 2019 are what they were in 2019. But he’s not far off from what 2022 was, and being Top 4 amongst 2B in the slash line, and top 3 in XBHs. Also what I have in my head lineup wise would be crazy to pitch to.

DJ – The only thing I can say I actually dislike about DJ is the positions that ownership and management put him in. He’s shouldn’t be the leadoff hitter, and he’s not good enough to be penciled in at one position every day. Where he’s great is that he has versatility. He gets on base way more than Gleyber, but I wouldn’t say I want him at 2B over him for offensive reasons. He doesn’t hit for enough power to bat at 1B, and same for 3B. But if he’s your first guy off the bench, and is the person who gives 1B, 2B & 3B a break, and fills in for injuries, is your pinch hitter late in games on his days off, and gets 120-130 games that way, he’s probably the best guy for that spot in the league.

If we take DJ’s leadoff stats and compare to each team’s stats for leadoff hitters .256/.358/.372 would be 12th, 4th, 18th, and this is where Oswald Peraza comes in, and saying it’s the kid’s time. Oswald was ranked 59th fastest sprint speed, DJ was ranked the 420th sprint speed. Oswald showed he can hit at every level, if you’re going to say it’s time, it’s time to put him in a prominent role.

SS
Oswald Peraza. See what you have, give him an entire year. And just see if it’s the real deal. If not, you cut the cord next offseason and go with Volpe in 2024.

Trade IKF. He’d be fine as a backup, but honestly you could get a diamond in the rough RP based on how they scout RPs for IKF pretty easily. And adding one more steady and reliable RP is worth way more than you can get from IKF. And if he’s your starting SS next year, people will lose their ****.

3B
Do whatever it takes to get rid of Josh Donaldson, he’s owed $21mil next year. And then a $6mil option in 2024. Eat $14mil of his deal for 2023, attach a few prospects in the 11-30 range, and pay the opt out for 2023. Some team will bite on paying $7-8mil just to throw him out as either their 3B or DH. Minimal risk especially if you get some long shot prospects out of it.

There’s no way they can bring him back for 2023. And even if it takes eating a ton of money you have to. As divisive as Gary Sanchez was, he wasn’t even remotely hated as much as Donaldson was, and even if Donaldson were to hit 25 HRs and 70RBIs, he’d still be hated. He hit 15HRs and 62RBIs for reference.

He was 18th in OBP, he was 19th in SLG, he was 13th in HRs, 16th in RBIs. among 3B A miserable, miserable experience, and even if he was OKAY, not a single one of us would be happy watching him play.

Which leads me to what’s the answer at 3B. And it’s Free Agency. Nolan Arenado and Carlos Correa are right there. There was talk going into last offseason about Correa moving to 3B long term. Here’s your opportunity. Probably looking at 6-7 years $160-190mil for Arenado, and 7-8 years like $210-250mil for Correa.

It’s a necessary move, and probably the most necessary one they must make. They need to add a big time bat to the lineup, something that gets them to Judge at 3 and Stanton at 4.

3B - FA - 130 / DJ - 32
IFs DH games - Rizzo 15 / FA at 3B - 15 / DJ and Gleyber split 15 (Stanton gets about 120 games at DH, should get once a week at either LF or RF).

Spending ramifications:
C- Probably comes out even. Replacing Higgy's Y1 Arb for now Trevino Y1 Arb, and Wells on a rookie deal.
3B - Save $8mil on Donaldson, spend about $30mil on a FA 3B. For a total of $22mil more from 2022.

Agree with most of this. Gleyber is the tough one. He's not a FA until 2025 so we have time and he's not super expensive. But if you belive in Peraza, Cabera, and Volpe, you get max value by dealing Torres now bc of that contract. It's a gamble for sure. Probably easier to roll with Cabrera in LF, Peraza and Volpe at SS/3b somehow. But you have Benintendi in LF so that doesn't really work. So yeah not sure you play all 3 kids with Gleyber at 2b. Not sure I like rookies at 3 infield spots though lol.

Definitely time to move on from Donaldson and I agree about DJ as a utility guy that play 5 days a week around the infield.

C:

1B:

2B:

SS

3B

3B - FA - 130 / DJ - 32

Spending ramifications:

Since Nolan Arenado opted in to the last 5 years of his Cardinals deal, go after Correa.

Judge deserves 8year/ $300mil, and made the captain. Makes him the highest AAV of all position players. He’s the face of the franchise, and one of 4-5 faces of the sport. Over 8 years, his value is worth that, and as he closes in on 300, 400 and probably 500 homeruns, the money that they can recoup on that is big. Also if you don’t do everything you can to keep a guy like Judge who is universally loved in the franchise and the sport, it can have ramifications in future Free Agency moments. Yes, sometimes you have to move on from guys, but other times a player has a team in a choke hold. Also losing Judge probably sets this team back 3-4 years, and would then make Stanton who has been nothing but professional since he’s been in New York in a horrific spot.

Not to mention the amount of money that the Yankees had saved on Judge over the years, they owe it to him. So that’s RF.

CF is Bader, he earned his spot on the playoffs. Great glove, fun guy to watch. Just need him to be functional on offense, and he’s never really been that. He’s certainly not the guy from the playoffs, but there wouldn’t be a ton asked of him.

LF – Pass on Benintendi. You’re looking at probably a 4 year + deal at over $15mil a year. There’s no need to pay that for a guy of his caliber. He’s a good all around player, but he’s not the make or break. Yankees need significant hitting, and if they are stuck at picking only 1 person after retaining Judge and Rizzo, it needs to be an impact player. Not a nice player. In a perfect world, we would retain Judge, and Rizzo, offload Donaldson and go after Correa and Benintendi. But if you made me choose, give me the guy who has an extensive postseason track record. This is what I would do. I fully expect them to essentially roll out a very similar lineup from best case scenario 2022, and wonder why it isn't working.

That is why you chase Correa, pay him the deal he’s worth, and let the young guy (Cabrera) do his thing in LF, if he doesn’t hold up. Then you let Hicks play.

Hicks has been disappointing, but their priority of offloading a contract should be focused on Donaldson and not Hicks. Can plug Hicks at all 3 spots in the OF, and get closer to the end of his deal and make it easier to off load it next year.

DH – Stanton, but let my guy play once, maybe twice a week in LF and RF. He’s not a bad fielder, so it’s not like it’s a huge issue. Also more you allow Stanton into the field, more you allow DJ to play, and use DH for Judge, Rizzo, Gleyber, Correa, etc.

So what would the lineup look like :
1. Peraza – SS
2. Correa – 3B
3. Judge – RF
4. Stanton – DH
5. Rizzo – 1B
6. Gleyber – 2B
7. Cabrera – LF
8. Trevino – C
9. Bader - CF
Bench: Austin Wells, pickup a cheap MIF, Hicks, and a surprise entrant.

How does this look money wise?
Based on my IF plan it was +$18mil, and that's almost entirely on Correa being at 3B, and having to eat well over half of Josh Donaldson to get rid of him.
+$18mil for Judge
Save $8.5mil from what was spent on Gallo & Benintendi for Cabrera
+$3mil on Bader
+$3mil on Giancarlo

Yankees end up spending $34.5mil more to keep Judge, Rizzo and go after a big fish in Correa.
You'll see they will save a lot of money in pitching when I get to it.

Benintendi gives you that consistent bat that was needed in the lineup. You could easily offload Hicks, who was already saying he was not happy with his playing time at the end of the season.

Alright let’s slow down on how good Benintendi is. Especially at a possible salary he may get if Hal is going to penny pinch.

If you unload IKF, Donaldson and Hicks and add Peraza, DJ at 3B and Benintendi in the every day lineup, team is maybe better. But Benintendi isn’t an X-Factor on his own. And you’ll end up with diminished returns as an offense when Judge doesn’t hit 62 homers.

Also if you’re unloading salary the most important to unload is Donaldson. Because as much as Hicks wants to play, and people are meh on him, he isn’t universally hated by the fan base. Donaldson is. You can’t bring that guy back.

If you unload those 3 and can add one of Correa or Benintendi, you pick Correa.

The best case scenario is they go all out and add them both.

But Benintendi on his own isn’t an X-Factor.

Im not talking about X-factor with him though. Not every bat in the lineup has to be an X-factor. With your numbers salary wise you throughout, if you replaced Hicks with Benintendi it’s what, an extra 4 mil maybe? Very doable. He’s a consistent bat you could insert in the bottom half of the lineup and helps lengthen it. Something that was sorely missing this postseason and when he went down. At times, our lineup becomes to HR dependent and he helps with that.

I agree Donaldson has to go. Not disagreeing with that. But Hicks towards the end of the season expressed frustration with his role. You make him the guy off the bench, that frustration grows.

Correa ain't coming here to play 3rd. he doesn't even like NY, been talkin **** about NYC for a min. true it could've been because he was in Houston but he got boo'd pretty good this yr when Minny came here. i just doubt he'd give up SS for a rookie ....

He talked about moving to 3B last off-season for the right situation.
Put him at SS. Peraza at 3B.
Also fixes the situation.

With some of the things he’s said in here, that shouldn’t have surprised you lol.

To respond to the Benintendi comment you had.

I’d love to bring him back.

But the reason why I say no is…
1. I think the cost to unload Donaldson will be big. Which would make trying to unload Hicks tougher. But if you can do both, then the Benintendi move can work.
2. I’m going on the assumption of what Hal would be willing to do. And if they’re gonna do one move outside of Judge and Rizzo, it’ll have to be a big move to close the gap.

If they could unload the $31mil of Donaldson and Hicks only eating only half of it and no top 7 prospects, then with what they save on Chapman, Britton, Donaldson, Hicks and offset what they paid for Gallo/Benintendi then it all works out money wise. But something tells me that Hal will run a mostly similar lineup, and then act like it’s a rousing success when they make the playoffs.

Having Cabrera, Peraza, and Volpe all ready to come up makes me pass on Correa. I'm not a fan so maybe I'm bias but I just think we need to allocate the money elsewhere bc we have young cheap options with high ceilings to play those positions. I'd rather save that money for Judge and go after an elite arm like DeGrom.

I'd be ok if we just resigned judge and sign either degrom or diaz...the team does need to get rid of all 3 hicks, ikf and Donaldson...

Back
Top Bottom