New York Yankees Official Thread - at Phils; 64-45 - Jazz Show is LIVE

One World Series, there's going to be a manager that win's by feeling the game and going with that which numbers can't really quantify and ESPN will do a special 30 for 30 about them winning in a manner that seems like a lost forgotten art. Only those nerds who are overweight and never played a sport a day in their life live solely by the analytics. Can't expect someone who's never done it to be the one dictating how it goes.
I mean sure it's conceivable that a manager could go off his gut and make all the right calls but it's much more likely they hit a hard 17 and bust bc their gut said a 4 was coming.

1666657915956.png

Should absolutely still be in the market for a SS. This is why 2022 should have been seeing if the young kids had it. Rather than an awful stop gap.

Because if they don’t have it, you passed on 2 straight years of crazy SS markets.

Also F starting DJ. Have Volpe up too. If you’re gonna go young. Actually go young. Drop Higgy and bring up Austin Wells too. Be all in or all out.

This is going to be a long post so bear with me.

So I was looking at the 40 man roster and we have about 11 potential free agents that could leave in the off-season:

Severino - Club Option
Tallion
Castro
Chapman
Green
Britton
Gonzalez
Rizzo
Judge
Benintendi
Carpenter

Of that list I believe Judge, Severino, and Rizzo will be back.

Rotation:
I fully believe this is a season they need to go out and find that for sure number 2 or 1b starter. I believe we got lucky with Cortes this year but don’t know if this years success is going to translate to consistent success and he may be better on the backend of the rotation (I really like him so I hope I’m wrong). I believe this is an absolute necessity.

Bullpen:
Cashman’s thing lately is to find a reclamation project and hope he catches lightning in a bottle. This simply cannot be the case this offseason. I believe he also cannot fool around and must find a closer this offseason to shore up the backend of the bullpen. Chapman is not returning, Britton is a free agent and probably gone (injuries and honestly just don’t trust him in that role at this point), and I don’t believe Holmes is that guy long term. Spot guy to fill in here and there? Sure.

Think a guy like Montero from Houston would be a solid get. Has been solid for the Astros as a setup man and spot closer. You’ll have depth returning next season at some point with Ridings, King, and Gil, but some additions are necessary.

(Looking at the guys on the IL from the pen, makes you really wonder what could of been with them, and the lack of pressure on the starters to go deep into games and try to be too perfect/fine on the mound)

Catcher:
I believe Higgy has to go. I’m sorry but some of our guys numbers with him catching them compared to Trevino is :sick:. I think Trevino was a solid find/get this season but I think the toll of being the number one catcher got to him by season’s end.

I think we should go after a stop gap that could be here for possibly 2 seasons until Wells is ready. I believe Christian Vasquez would be perfect there. He’s not looking to return to Houston, wants a larger role, and is a pretty scrappy hitter and not an easy out (was batting .282 before being traded to Houston).

Infield:
Believe Rizzo will be back, but Donaldson is for sure gone. IKF should be depth on the bench with Peraza starting at SS. Or I think they need to possibly take at a SS on the market that could potentially shift to 3rd once Volpe is ready. This is where George would of stepped in back in the day and would of went after a Boegarts (think he’d be perfect in this role) or Correa (his body type is built for third as he ages. DJ is much better suited in that Utility/DH role. Think it helps the lineup whether it’s resting guys or what not.

There’s also a chance (that we’re going to have to accept) where Torres could possibly be traded this offseason, or in season at the deadline. Was almost moved this season. I think if he’s moved, we become the mystery team/dark horse in the SS market.

Outfield:
Hicks is gone. Bader was the move to make him expendable. He expressed frustration about lack of opportunities down the stretch. The writing is on the wall with that one. Cabrera should be used as a super Utility guy that fill in in the outfield, as well as infield. I believe he’s just offers more value depth wise than Locastro.

If we’re honestly doing what that tweet says, and injury probably caused his price tag to lower, but I think we need to resign Benintendi. He was that contact hitter he need in the bottom half of the lineup that lengthens the lineup much more than it was when he was out. He’s what we sorely lacked in our lineup when him and DJ went down.

Hypothetical Lineup with moves mentioned:

1. DJ
2. Judge
3. Rizzo
4. Stanton
5. Bogearts
6. Benintendi
7. Torres
8. Vazquez
9. Peraza

Just spitballing and had a little to mich time on my hands tonight lol. Don’t flame or rush to judge this. Just a frustrated Yankee fan living in Houston having to hear all the noise from sports radio and ppl at work who weren’t astro fans pre-2017 season lol.

Last edited:
I would not be opposed to that. Just wonder about the numbers. Could be looking at north of what we gave Chapman (86 mil).

I dont agree signing a SS when we have so many young guys to fill that hole... plus that money will be used on Judge and Diaz...we shoulda signed freeman last year instead of resigning rizzo..

What options do we have then to go all out to resign judge? Think of where we woulda been without him? Just another reason cash has to go. Too reliant on one player smh.

Back
Top Bottom