New York Yankees Official Thread - at Phils; 64-45 - Jazz Show is LIVE

I think the Plan is if they sign Correa is obviously dump Donaldson, but trade Gleyber and see if the combination of Correa, Volpe and Peraza can man SS, 3b,2b. With DJ being Utility and insurance just in case. Obviously it’s a big risk with the position movement but with what’s been said they Expect Volpe and Peraza to be here and not traded.

Rumor is we might revisit the Marlins for Lopez and Gleyber name popped up again. And we called the Dbacks too

They're getting paid bc they are SS, a premium position. If Correa was a 1b, he ain't getting a massive contract.
What about all the other stars that got paid that aren’t SS? We paid Arod big money to play 3rd on his 2nd big deal. Machado got paid big knowing he’d be moved to 3rd when Tatis was ready. These guys aren’t just getting paid because they’re SS’s. They’re getting paid because they are impact players that can change a lineup.

Get CORREA!

Big time player. Shows up big in the clutch. His bat is productive. And would be the ultimate Yankee if come October he kills the Astros

Also based on who we've signed and who is leaving. We're $2mil on the positive side with all arbitration projections.

The return of the EXCEL SPREADSHEET

Last edited:
What about all the other stars that got paid that aren’t SS? We paid Arod big money to play 3rd on his 2nd big deal. Machado got paid big knowing he’d be moved to 3rd when Tatis was ready. These guys aren’t just getting paid because they’re SS’s. They’re getting paid because they are impact players that can change a lineup.
Take Correa's offensive numbers and put him at 1b and he's not elite. A lot of his value comes from being a SS. Even moving him to 3b loses a lot of value. See the numbers below for the average at each position. An .850 OPS is a star at SS. It's just a guy at 1b.

Screenshot_20221209_164241_Chrome.jpg

If you sign Rodon for $30mil for 6 years. It’s offset by Chapman and Britton leaving.

If you can trade Donaldson without eating any contract, you can offset Judge’s raise.

Then you can find half of Correa’s deal by moving someone like Lou Trivino, IKF and Hicks. For essentially nothing.

Then you are only dealing with salary increases from arbitration and Kahnle

If you sign Rodon for $30mil for 6 years. It’s offset by Chapman and Britton leaving.

If you can trade Donaldson without eating any contract, you can offset Judge’s raise.

Then you can find half of Correa’s deal by moving someone like Lou Trivino, IKF and Hicks. For essentially nothing.
Zero chance anyone take Donaldson without us eating half the contract or more unless we give them a prospect of value. We don't want him at that price, nobody else does either.

Zero chance anyone take Donaldson without us eating half the contract or more unless we give them a prospect of value. We don't want him at that price, nobody else does either.

Somewhere a few pages or a couple days ago I listed who we could let go of. There's at least 4 in MLB's top 10 for us that we could go off of to make it work. That are Ofers or non Volpe/Peraza SS. Or pitchers who we don't necessarily need at this moment

Even if we eat $10mil. We could offset Judge by letting IKF and Lou Trevino for prospects on top of Donaldson.

Somewhere a few pages or a couple days ago I listed who we could let go of. There's at least 4 in MLB's top 10 for us that we could go off of to make it work. That are Ofers or non Volpe/Peraza SS. Or pitchers who we don't necessarily need at this moment

Even if we eat $10mil. We could offset Judge by letting IKF and Lou Trevino for prospects on top of Donaldson.
Oh yea, didn't mean we can't move him. It's just going to come at a cost. I hate giving up players of value to save money when we're the freaking Yankees and print money but that's life with Hal.

Take Correa's offensive numbers and put him at 1b and he's not elite. A lot of his value comes from being a SS. Even moving him to 3b loses a lot of value. See the numbers below for the average at each position. An .850 OPS is a star at SS. It's just a guy at 1b.

Screenshot_20221209_164241_Chrome.jpg
He’s a career .836 OPS. Better than just a guy at 3rd or corner outfielder.

correa is cool but rather go for rodon... we have all the young guns to call up still to play short... another number 1 pitcher next to cole would be great... just not sure of the health on either correa or rodon if we had to only sign one

Is there a chance Volpe or Peraza are as good as Correa?

Sure.

But it’s not a given. It’s a long shot actually.

I want those guys to be studs as much as all of y’all, but I’ll take a proven commodity over a maybe/could be.

He’s a career .836 OPS. Better than just a guy at 3rd or corner outfielder.
Sure but .836 at 3b or corner OF is just above average, not elite. An .836 SS is waaaaay more expensive than an .836. If you pay him as an .836 SS and he moves to 3b, you're overpaying him for an .836 at 3b. That's Justin Turner at 3b. That's all I'm saying.

Is there a chance Volpe or Peraza are as good as Correa?

Sure.

But it’s not a given. It’s a long shot actually.
Sure but one is $700k a year for the next 3 years and allows us to sign Rodon. The whole point of developing players is to get cheap years out of them so you can spend money elsewhere. Volpe is our top prospect in a long long time. Signing Correa just throws away that value we've worked so hard to develop.

Sure but .836 at 3b or corner OF is just above average, not elite. An .836 SS is waaaaay more expensive than an .836. If you pay him as an .836 SS and he moves to 3b, you're overpaying him for an .836 at 3b. That's Justin Turner at 3b. That's all I'm saying.
Machado is a career .833 OPS which is lower than Correa and he’s getting paid $300 mil playing 3rd.

Sure but one is $700k a year for the next 3 years and allows us to sign Rodon. The whole point of developing players is to get cheap years out of them so you can spend money elsewhere. Volpe is our top prospect in a long long time. Signing Correa just throws away that value we've worked so hard to develop.
Volpe can still play 2nd or even 3rd if you don’t move Correa over.

That's not great value at 3b. He was almost .900 last year, so he earned it last year.
So by saying that, how do you know Correa wouldn’t then. It sounds like you’re letting your hate for Correa blind your judgement.
And Peraza? And Gleyber?

We have young cheap guys that we can play at those spots. We don't have young pitching.
There has been a lot of talk of Gleyber being moved for pitching. 3rd and 2nd, if Correa is the SS, there is any combo of Volpe/Peraza, Peraza/Gleyber, Volpe/Gleyber available for you.

So by saying that, how do you know Correa wouldn’t then. It sounds like you’re letting your hate for Correa blind your judgement.

There has been a lot of talk of Gleyber being moved for pitching. 3rd and 2nd, if Correa is the SS, there is any combo of Volpe/Peraza, Peraza/Gleyber, Volpe/Gleyber available for you.
I'm just not paying $30m a year for a bat like Correa at 3b. I wouldn't want Machado at $32m either. I don't think he's going to be what he was last year every year.

A potential trade could change things but that's a hypothetical we have no clue what would look like.

I'd much rather take advantage of the farm we've worked so hard to build and use the money on SP instead. We just don't have top end young arms and we do have top end young IF so paying huge dollars for an IF just doesn't make sense for our roster imo.

Back
Top Bottom