New York Yankees Official Thread - at Phils; 64-45 - Jazz Show is LIVE

I bring you a trade. That we need to do to get Donaldson out of NY

00E2C569-AD23-4A59-873F-A8F686F58736.jpeg

Yankees technically eat $6mil of Donaldson by taking Melancon

Yankees get Diamondbacks 16th ranked prospect, 4th ranked OF
For
Sweeney (6th ranked, 3rd SS) , Warren (8th prospect, 1st RHP), Beeter (9th prospect, 2nd RHP)

If we’ve been talking to the dbacks about their OFer’s, get Varsho. Lefty, solid bat. Can/has played all three OF positions, plays catcher as well.

Point of these deals is to load up front while keeping a lower AAV by stacking years. If they could have gotten it to $24AAV, it would be a bargain. But it’s $27mil AAV

Anyway, they still have to make a big move (addition) on both sides.

At this point one of Volpe or Peraza going to get traded.
If they still plan on going “big.” Which they are going to force themselves to do.

Look at hicks contract.... He doesn't get paid a ton but those years kill the deal... Not comparing Correa and hicks as far as talent just saying that contract in general will hurt you in the end... The Astros just won the series without cheating... Pena was a good player for them... That's why it's important we develop home grown talent... Judge is a perfect example

Look at hicks contract.... He doesn't get paid a ton but those years kill the deal... Not comparing Correa and hicks as far as talent just saying that contract in general will hurt you in the end... The Astros just won the series without cheating... Pena was a good player for them... That's why it's important we develop home grown talent... Judge is a perfect example
Hicks is only 33 too. That contract was a decent gamble at the time. He was really good in 2018 and the contract would be a bargain if he'd stayed that but he's been so injury prone his entire career and is a shell of 2018 now. In 10 seasons, he's reached 100 vales only 3 times, one of those being last year. Sucks bc he was so talented, just can't stay healthy.

I agree with the homegrown talent aspect. Not just on a baseball level, but also an emotional and financial level that it is more entertaining when the guy is homegrown.
But you have to ensure the 15 other spots are top notch.
Because when Peraza plays and he likely isn’t great for a bit, it’s gonna look really bad. And could completely ruin that guy.

Why? Because he needs to provide a huge contribution immediately because the rest of the team isn’t great. And that’s primarily because they balk too much on players.

Will we win the East? Most likely because the Red Sox are punting. Rays will hang around but they never invest in the team. And Blue Jays are still young.

If this was the path for SS. Fine. There shouldn’t have been the IKF/Donaldson deal. And Peraza should have been up opening day and had a full year last year.
Now you have $27mil between 3B who wasn’t even good anymore when we got him & SS that you didn’t need in the first place. That could have been used for 3B, LF, CF last year, SP, RP

Last edited:
The problem is our salary cap is already high when you have guys like hicks and Donaldson taking up the space... There's like 3 maybe 4 Max guys on your roster and then you fill the rest... Right now those slots are on judge, Cole and Stanton...I would like rodon but realistically don't see it happening and Correa was a pipe dream... Only way we get rodon is by getting rid of hicks or Donaldson or both but prally have to pay the trading team some of that money towards their contracts

The problem is our salary cap is already high when you have guys like hicks and Donaldson taking up the space... There's like 3 maybe 4 Max guys on your roster and then you fill the rest... Right now those slots are on judge, Cole and Stanton...I would like rodon but realistically don't see it happening and Correa was a pipe dream... Only way we get rodon is by getting rid of hicks or Donaldson or both but prally have to pay the trading team some of that money towards their contracts
I'm hopeful the Mets spending spree makes Hal react by raising our budget. He doesn't have to go crazy but raising it some makes eating bad contracts easier. That's what was so great about George. It wasn't so much the huge money we spent on FA's, it was the eating the medium sized deals that went bad and not letting them prevent us from other moves.

Nah. Our salary was high in 2004-2005. It’s not high right now.
It’s ******** Hal sells you to raise prices while also keeping costs low.

Yea 2005 we were at $208m and next was the Sox at $123m. Our payroll has barely increased in almost 20 years while everyone else caught up. It's shameful, tbh.

George got it. He got a ton of money from fans and poured it all back into the club to win games. He was a freaking god in the city. Everyone loved him even if he was pretty ****** in some ways. An extra $100m a year when you're dealing with a $6-7b assets is peanuts. Just ******* spend it, I promise you'll make it back on the back end.

Looking at this makes me mad:

1671043713816.png

Based on how many teams are left looking for pitching and willing to spend, this makes a lot of sense.

I don’t see Rodon getting the $200mil he wants. And if he wants 7 years, it’ll probably be like $150-165mil

Back
Top Bottom