New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

[h1]Cashman Met With Teixeira[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 5 at 10:48am CST]

According to Tyler Kepner of the New YorkTimes, Yankees GM Brian Cashman was in Washington yesterday to meet with free agent first baseman Mark Teixeira. The meeting came atScott Boras' request, and Boras was present. Previous talk ofCashman and Boras meeting in California was incorrect, according to George King of the New YorkPost.

King says Cashman and Boras also discussed Manny Ramirez, Derek Lowe, and Oliver Perez. Mark Feinsand says Lowe was the focus ofthis meeting. Cashman intends to meet with C.C. Sabathia soon, Joel Sherman attempts to understand why.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

I don't understand why people wouldn't want to play for the Yankees. I mean if you want to make a name for yourself the Yankees are perfect. Sure there is more pressure, but don't the best want to be under the most pressure possible. I just don't understand some of these players.
Just preference man. Maybe he wants to be with his family. Maybe he knows he wouldn't fit in...etc.. I mean damn its not like he will behurting if he takes a $125 mil. contract.....he is set anyway

lets just go get manny....he will clearly sell all the seats for every game, that will bother the red sox alot and dude is a monster when he plays at yankeestadium

[h1]A.J. Burnett Rumors: Friday[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 5 at 1:42pm CST]

DaveO'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has the latest on A.J. Burnett. The Braves will hold off on other moves for startingpitching until they hear from A.J. Burnett's agent Darek Braunecker about their offer (said to be five years, $75MM if the fifth-yearoption vests).

If the Yanks offer 5 years.... and 75+ million for AJ I will be
mad.gif

That's too many years for a guy who always gets hurt.

4 years max

[h1]Heyman's Latest: Sabathia, Manny, Lowe[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 5 at 1:57pm CST]

Be sure to check out JonHeyman's Winter Meetings preview.
  • A friend of C.C. Sabathia tells Heyman the pitcher received two offers from unknown teams prior to Thanksgiving, in addition to the ones from the Brewers and Yankees. Sabathia is taking his time with this, as he should.
  • Manny Ramirez "admires the dollar." Just letting you know.
  • A competing owner suggested to Heyman that the Cubs could cut budget. At any rate, they probably won't do anything major til their ownership situation is settled.
  • Derek Lowe is looking for $90MM over five years. He wants at least five years; ten teams are after him. Brian Cashman apparently expressed "heavy interest" to Scott Boras yesterday.
mad.gif
mad.gif
eyes.gif
tired.gif

I don't want Lowe

Hmmm, the thread seems to have gone quiet. Some news from today:

Dodgers GM says Sabathia wants to be in LA

Maybe CC Sabathia does indeed want to work close to home.

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark on Monday that he ran into the free agent on Sunday night in a hotel lobby and the left-hander told him that he wants to be a Dodger.

Although the New York Yankees and Milwaukee Brewers have made offers to the prize of the free-agent class, speculation continued that Sabathia would want to play near the home he is building in Southern California.

Sabathia did meet with the Yankees on Sunday, and his representatives spoke with the Brewers on Monday.

According to a baseball man with knowledge of the meeting, Sabathia wanted to meet with the Yankees on Sunday because he's "trying to gather information" about the franchise and New York.

Sabathia and his agent, Greg Genske, met for about 2½ hours on Sunday with a Yankees GM Brian Cashman and manager Joe Girardi. And the main focus of the conversation, the source said, was whether Sabathia wants to be a Yankee.

The Yankees' six-year, $140-million offer to Sabathia has been on the table now for nearly four weeks. Not only has Sabathia not said yes, he has been sending messages to the three interested West Coast teams -- the Dodgers, Giants and Angels -- that he would like to play in California.

But in his meeting with the Yankees, Sabathia did not indicate that his delay in signing has anything to do with a preference to play elsewhere, the source said. He's simply attempting to assemble as full a picture as possible before making a major decision. "He just wants to know what it's like to play in New York," the source said.

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin met with Sabathia's representatives for a half-hour on Monday afternoon.

Melvin said that the team was still in the running for the left-hander.

"Until we're told we're no longer involved, I take it that we have a chance," Melvin said, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Teams can pull out, too. I don't know what else is out there. If they told us we weren't still in it, we'd move on."

Sources told the Chicago Tribune that the Brewers had added a sixth year to its initial proposal and that Melvin was considering adding an opt-out clause after three years.

SI.com took that one step further, saying the Brewers were considering an opt-out clause after only two years. That would make Sabathia a free agent again at age 30.

Melvin wouldn't comment on specifics of the deal.

Sabathia is scheduled to leave the winter meetings Monday night after huddling with the Boston Red Sox.

Dude is basically begging the California teams to make him an offer anywhere in the $100mil range while keeping the Yanks and Brewers as safety nets. Cashshould have just asked CC to look him in the eye and tell him if he wants to be a Yankee. I say move on to Burnett or see if we can pry Peavy out somehow.
mad.gif

6:19pm: Peter Abraham learnedfrom Brian Cashman that the Yanks met with Sabathia again today.

5:41pm: Sabathia's meeting with Yankees officials lasted 2.5 hours yesterday, as he gathered information on the team and the city.He told the Yankees he's not delaying his decision due to a desire to pitch elsewhere; he just wants to gatherthe facts.

6:15pm: Heymanagrees, suggesting a forthcoming Yankee offer for Burnett in the four-year, $64MM range.

5:38pm: Jerry Crasnick andJayson Stark believe the Yankees want to meet with Burnett's agent, and may be willing to offer more guaranteed money than Atlanta did. The Bravesapparently guaranteed $60MM over four years and added a vesting option. Burnett and Derek Lowe hope to wait until C.C.Sabathia signs.

7:17pm: .Abraham notes that Sabathia requested that second meet with theYanks.

I swear to God if we sign Lowe and sign him to that the ridiculous contract.........
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by toine2983

I swear to God if we sign Lowe and sign him to that the ridiculous contract.........
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
NO FREAKING DOUBT!
mad.gif

[h2]Inside the war room with the Yankees[/h2]The Yankees, as you might expect,have a luxurious suite at the Bellagio. There's a wet bar, a large conference table and another meeting area with a couch and two easy chairs. There wereenough laptops to run an internet start-up company.
When we arrived at 3 p.m., Brian Cashman was meeting with Joe Girardi, assistant GM Jean Afterman, pro scouting director Billy Eppler, amateur scoutingdirector Damon Oppenheimer and farm director Mark Newman, among others.

There was a large white board with important plans on it. At least I assume they are important because it was covered up when we were in there. The Yankeesalso had a wide variety of candy, chips and peanuts.

Sure, the execs get junk food and the players go without. That's not right. No wonder Mike Mussina retired

Anyway, here are some of the more interesting comments Cashman had on CC Sabathia:

"He's got a life choice to make that will direct where they will reside for the next however many years determined by the contract he decides tonegotiate. He's going through the process."

On whether the Yankees would pressure him for a decision: "If you're a marginal free agent or a low-end guy, you can speed theprocess up - from the club's perspective - by pushing the envelope. With the premier free agents, all that'll do is push them away."

On Reggie Jackson's involvement: "He went through the same (free agent) process at relatively the same age. He's someone whocame to New York, conquered New York and can give the perspective."

(Slick move by the Yankees here. Mr. October lives in the Bay Area now. He was a free agent, went through ups and downs in New York and knows the terrain.Who better to talk to CC?)

On CC's process: "We're not being played, we're not being manipulated, we're not being used. I just think thathe's making an informed decision, and there's a process that will take."

I also spoke to Joe Girardi, who said the meeting with Sabathia went well on Sunday. He seemed heartened by the idea that CC was asking about the lifestylein New York. CC and his wife have three kids, the latest coming seven weeks ago. Joe and his wife also have three kids.

Girardi explained to Sabathia that he encourages players to bring their sons into the clubhouse and to be around the team. He talked about his situation,living in Westchester and putting his kids in school.

In the end, it'll be about the money. But the Yankees are pleased that Sabathia is asking the right questions. If the guy wasn't serious about theYankees, why did he ask for a second meeting? I don't see the Steinbrenners letting the Dodgers get close.
------

Meanwhile, wise-guy Cashman planted a remote-controlled whoopie cushion under one of the chairs (yes, it was mine) and tried to prank us. I honestlydidn't hear the noise, but he was having a good old time with it.

"I got it at CVS," he said.

I wonder if he tried that with CC. I suspect not.
------
In other news, Ben Sheets is here and the Yankees have met with him. … Back later on with some more. But that will be it for a while. Don't forget, therewill be a live video chat at 11 a.m. ET on Tuesday. Please tune in and ask questions.

it's official now CC's a Yankee according to the NY Post and i'm watching it now on mike & mike & sportscenter now

This is awesome!!!
We finally have our #1 starter again.

People forget we didn't have Wang almost all of last year.... and he's GOOD.

CC/Wang, 1/2 combo next year??
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Lets see how 3-5 turns out....

But if the rest of the AL didn't see this coming, it's just because they weren't paying attention.
This is always going to be how life in the old Junior Circuit works.

These are people who never relax, never settle for anything less than the biggest trophies, never even sleep.

After all, how can they? They're the Yankees.

Jayson Stark knows
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

now we have a horse

11c5mjc.jpg

and an ironman

sabathia-ironman.jpg

and before the copy/paste police show up, yes i stole em ............

Back
Top Bottom