New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

All this baseball talk & signing CC & other Yankees rumors has got me thinking Yankees, Yankees, Yankees!
Here's a great video to keep that feeling going....
Although I can't help get a little
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
frown.gif
watching this video.

LETS GO YANKEES!!!

Remember this?!?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

PAPLEBUM TALKING TRASH ABOUT MO CLOSING THE ALL STAR GAME
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

This response follows.......

Damn this "go spend some small countries' GDP on free agents if you can" mentality baseball has! Salary cap anyone!?...Sighhh, when will the BlueJays EVER get to contend?!! Damnit!! Baseball needs parody... maybe have more than just 4 playoff spots,, add a couple more? and shorten the regular season?
ohwell.gif

They're gonna get AJ Burnett and maybe Ben Sheets too??! FACKK! I do have a feeling Sabathia isn't gonna have that great a year cause if he has ONE badstart the fans are gonna be ALLL over him....

If the Yanks get Manny on top of all this, I might end up crying......no, seriously.....

Originally Posted by Aristotle604

Damn this "go spend some small countries' GDP on free agents if you can" mentality baseball has! Salary cap anyone!?...Sighhh, when will the Blue Jays EVER get to contend?!! Damnit!! Baseball needs parody... maybe have more than just 4 playoff spots,, add a couple more? and shorten the regular season?
ohwell.gif

parity imo

Damn this "go spend some small countries' GDP on free agents if you can" mentality baseball has! Salary cap anyone!?...Sighhh, when will the Blue Jays EVER get to contend?!! Damnit!! Baseball needs parody... maybe have more than just 4 playoff spots,, add a couple more? and shorten the regular season?
ohwell.gif

They're gonna get AJ Burnett and maybe Ben Sheets too??! FACKK! I do have a feeling Sabathia isn't gonna have that great a year cause if he has ONE bad start the fans are gonna be ALLL over him....

If the Yanks get Manny on top of all this, I might end up crying......no, seriously.....

smh.gif

ohwell.gif

They're gonna get AJ Burnett and maybe Ben Sheets too??! FACKK! I do have a feeling Sabathia isn't gonna have that great a year cause if he has ONE bad start the fans are gonna be ALLL over him....

*Hi Hater*

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

I may have been premature.

Can't find any info on a confirmed deal anywhere.

Yeah, your girl tells me the same..

embarassed.gif

But seriously..I think that Melk just had an off year (and by off I mean WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off.) I woulda let him try and redeem himself this year, and ifhe's the same player, send him packing. Cause based on last year...Melks Defense>Melks Offense.

AND hes got 10 years on Cameron.

Originally Posted by Yoda

But seriously..I think that Melk just had an off year (and by off I mean WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off.) I woulda let him try and redeem himself this year, and if he's the same player, send him packing. Cause based on last year...Melks Defense>Melks Offense.
C/S.

Cameron strikes out too much for my liking...

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

Originally Posted by Yoda

But seriously..I think that Melk just had an off year (and by off I mean WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off.) I woulda let him try and redeem himself this year, and if he's the same player, send him packing. Cause based on last year...Melks Defense>Melks Offense.
C/S.

Cameron strikes out too much for my liking...

my thoughts exactly cameron is 35 melk is only 24 , i really hope this deal doesnts happen . Now trading johnny damon would be a dream come true

I'm iffy on Damon..

Aside from last year, the guys hardly ever been on the DL, so thats one of the pluses for him..But he's shoddy in the outfield, and just a hair aboveaverage for a lead off IMO.

He does get bases though, and when he's hot, he's hot.

But I think it's time we parted ways with him and Abreu..

Hideki, I think, if he comes back strong, could be of some value to us.

- I read that the Melky/Cameron trade has been delayed because the Yankees want the Brewers to pay part of Cameron's upcoming contract for the 2009 season.I've also read they have shown interest in Igawa.

Good riddance, Igawa. Milwaukee, take him please.

- It looks like next order of business (hopefully short and sweet) is Pettitte.

Why did Yankees GM Brian Cashman jet off yet again this morning? Joel Sherman and George King of the New York Post have the answer.

Cashman headed to Texas to talk to Andy Pettitte. Cashman will offer Pettitte his last rotation spot for $10MM, and move on if he's not interested.

- http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/cashman-flies-t.htmlhttp://www.mlbtraderumors...8/12/cashman-flies-t.html

Oh damn, I'm embarrassed! I spelled parity wrong?! I won a spelling bee once too!!!....Not really, but I'm college!! That was horribleeeee....

And HIcoolC, I am not a hater at all!! Sure I hate the Yankees but that's mostly because they're in the same division as the Jays...I just want to seemy team contend. Nothing wrong with that....and to be honest, I thought I was posting in the Winter Meetings Thread, loll...I failed twice in one post!
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Dunkaroos

Abreu, Giambi, and Damon need to go
Giambi can go, Damon and Abreu can stay.

Damon is a damn good leadoff hitter when he's on, so he isn't going anywhere.

Abreu, I'll be upset if we don't re-sign him (which is looking likely that we won't.) He is guaranteed 100 RBIs and many Walks. His defenses andability to go to play to the wall at Yankee Stadium is questionable, but still. I'm an Abreu fan, ecstatic when we traded for him for basically nothing.

large_cc-sabathia.jpg

t1_burnett.jpg

Regarding the remaining pitchers, the Yanks will have to gamble, whether it's AJ Burnett or Ben Sheets. With Burnett, you get a 31-year old right-handedstrikeout ace with experience dealing damage to the AL East, victims include the Pinstripes as well as the Red Sox. You also get a guy who has been injuryprone throughout most of his career, although he pitched a great, complete season in 2008 (although his contract was up = big performance). right now, theyankees offer stands at 5 years/$85 million. this is a big commitment with a high risk/high reward. he's already proven himself in the Yankees'division, but if his injuries flare up again, Cashman & Co. could be looking at an $85 million bust with echoes of Carl Pavano who fails to help CCSabathia carry the load of a tough season and the weight of New York's pressure.

ben902.jpg

With the 30-year old Sheets, you get a guy who has also been injury prone throughout his career and only has NL experience. However, the right-handed Sheetshas great command of his three pitches, including a 98 mph fastball, and has an excellent strikeout to walk ratio and a low ERA, granted these stats are fromthe National League. He pitched a great 2008 season and his injury came at the worst possible time, down the stretch, which killed his chances of securing along-term deal like his former (possibly future) teammate Sabathia. This limits the number of interested teams and may work in the Yankees' favor. TheYankees could sign him to a two-year, obviously short-term deal for about $30 million, which is milk money to them, which makes it relatively low-risk,high-reward. If he continues to be as frail as the Cryptkeeper, the Yankees can dump him relatively quickly, as opposed to being locked down in a contractsimilar to Burnett's. If he's great, and I think he'll have a big comeback season, the Yankees will have gotten a bargain.

DerekLowe.jpg

With Derek Lowe, you have a sinkerballer with a clean health record who has a World Series ring with the 2004 Red Sox (bastards) and a lot of AL experience,postseason included, which neither Burnett nor Sheets have. Burnett's 2003 season with the Marlins doesn't count, as he was injured for almost theentire season. However, Lowe, at 35, is the oldest of the three and is a Boras client, which means an automatic ulcer and headache. It can be expected thatBoras would drag negotiations out in order to garner a fat contract with a lot of years for his client. Do the Yankees want to deal with that?

AndyPettitte33.jpg

This brings us to the pinstripe veteran Andy Pettitte, whom Brian Cashman flew out today to see to leave a $10 million final offer on the table, before hedecides to make a move on someone such as Ben Sheets. Pettitte is obviously no longer in his prime, but at 36, he still has gas in the tank. If heart is aquality GMs look at, there is no question that Andy probably has the most out of all the four pitchers. He has four rings with the Yankees from his glory yearsand helped carry Houston's pitching rotation on his back and to the 2005 World Series during his stint there. He understands how to pitch in New York, arare quality, and as mentioned before, has a plethora of postseason experience and the ability to pitch big in big games. He is also a left-handed pitcher. Asof now, Sabathia will be the only left-handed pitcher in the rotation and the Yankees should avoid an overload of right-handed pitchers similar to their staffin 2004. In addition, he can provide invaluable experience, minus the $25 million price tag the Yankees paid for Clemens' "advice" in 2007, to ayounger pitching staff with a lack of World Series rings. However, he is certainly not worth a $16 million investment for one year. It also is puzzling whyPettitte, while saying he only wants to be on the Yankees and will pitch for one more year, won't take a smaller offer. The chances are he will not signwith any other team, even Los Angeles. The meeting with Joe Torre was most probably a bluff in order to garner a bigger offer from the Yanks.

p1_manny_ramirez_si.jpg

If the Yankees sign Burnett, they will almost surely sign Sheets or Pettitte, depending on Pettitte's decision regarding the $10 million offer. My guttells me he will take it. If they don't sign Burnett, they'll go harder after Lowe and again, sign either Sheets or Pettitte. I would not depend onHughes to immediately step in at the beginning of the season. It's a matter of choosing between high-risk and higher-risk. However, on a moreoffense-minded note, I'm a strong supporter of going after Yankee-killer and Washington Heights-raised Manny Ramirez for a 2-3 year contract. While he is aBoras client and is 36, he is THE player to fill the 3rd spot left by Bobby Abreu and is arguably the best hitter in the major leagues today, regular seasonAND postseason. He will be lethal against any team, NL or AL, and particularly against the Red Sox AT Fenway. He was raised in New York, not far from YankeeStadium, and has a huge Dominican fan base. Even though he is perceived to be somewhat of a nut with his eccentric behavior, there is no question that when itcomes to baseball, he will get the job done. He is a durable, hard worker with almost no history of injury. Perhaps, his unfazed mentaility can rub off on thementally frail A-Rod. Hank Steinbrenner is also very interested in signing Ramirez, even saying that while clean-cut hair was an issue for his father, he couldcare less about Manny's dreads. In addition, while teams are scrambling to up the ante in a massive bidding war in order to get Mark Teixeira, not manyteams are interested in Ramirez, besides the Dodgers. The Yankees could shift Nady to his original position in RF and rotate Damon and Cabrera/Gardner OR MikeCameron in center field. If the Yankees choose not to resign Hideki Matsui, Ramirez could comfortably slide into the DH spot. With a couple more aces and ahitter like Manny, I think the 2009 season will be a vast improvement that could end with a 27th championship ring on each of their fingers. Whatever theYankees do, their next move will be interesting.

[h1]Mike Cameron Yankees Negotiations On Again[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 11 at 5:40pm CST]

5:40pm: Haudricourt now writes that the Cameron negotiations are backunderway after a "hiccup". Haudricourt heard from Doug Melvin that there's a "strong possibility it could still happen." The clubs arenegotiating over finances and whether a second player would go to the Brewers with Cabrera.

Mike Cameron....
[table][tr][td]SEASON[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]AB[/td] [td]R[/td] [td]H[/td] [td]2B[/td] [td]3B[/td] [td]HR[/td] [td]RBI[/td] [td]BB[/td] [td]SO[/td] [td]SB[/td] [td]CS[/td] [td]AVG[/td] [td]OBP[/td] [td]SLG[/td] [td]OPS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2007[/td] [td]SD[/td] [td]151[/td] [td]571[/td] [td]88[/td] [td]138[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]78[/td] [td]67[/td] [td]160[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]5[/td] [td].242[/td] [td].328[/td] [td].431[/td] [td].759[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2008[/td] [td]Mil[/td] [td]120[/td] [td]444[/td] [td]69[/td] [td]108[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]70[/td] [td]54[/td] [td]142[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]5[/td] [td].243[/td] [td].331[/td] [td].477[/td] [td].808[/td] [/tr][/table]
Melky Cabrera....

[table][tr][td]SEASON[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]AB[/td] [td]R[/td] [td]H[/td] [td]2B[/td] [td]3B[/td] [td]HR[/td] [td]RBI[/td] [td]BB[/td] [td]SO[/td] [td]SB[/td] [td]CS[/td] [td]AVG[/td] [td]OBP[/td] [td]SLG[/td] [td]OPS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2007[/td] [td]NYY[/td] [td]150[/td] [td]545[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]149[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]73[/td] [td]43[/td] [td]68[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]5[/td] [td].273[/td] [td].327[/td] [td].391[/td] [td].718[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2008[/td] [td]NYY[/td] [td]129[/td] [td]414[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]103[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]37[/td] [td]29[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]2[/td] [td].249[/td] [td].301[/td] [td].341[/td] [td].642[/td] [/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom