New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

At last count, seven people have e-mailed me about some internet rumor of a possible trade between the Mets and Yankees. Rob Neyer of ESPN.com commented on it today (subscription required) and now it's going viral.

The deal:

Yankees get: Carlos Beltran.

Mets get: Robinson Cano, Jose Veras (or Brian Bruney), Ian Kennedy, some other prospect and cash.

Presumably, this trade is contingent on Omar Minaya smoking a lot of crystal meth and the Wilpons spending a weekend out of cell phone range. Why the Mets would trade an All-Star caliber switch-hitting 31-year-old center fielder for a second baseman coming off a bad year and assorted spare parts is uncertain.

I briefly thought of calling Omar to ask him about such a deal but figured he would start laughing.

If such a trade is made, I'll be happy to drive Veras over to Citi Field myself out of the sheer joy of not having to watch him walk somebody with a 5-2 lead ever again.

The other rumor that needs debunking is the idea that Willie Randolph joining the Yankees as a coach. Just what Joe Girardi needs, a popular former Yankee who wants to be a manager again on his coaching staff. The first time the Yankees lost three straight Willie would be putting family photos up in the manager's office. Also, Willie can sit at home in New Jersey and collect checks from the Mets for another year.

The Yankees and Mets, by the way, haven't made a deal since 2003 when the Yankees inexplicably acquired Armando Benitez for three low-level prospects.
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I can't describe to you guys how much I LAUGHED at those sentences...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

TAMPA - Sitting behind his desk at George M. Steinbrenner Field, Hank Steinbrenner yesterday spit on the notion he has taken a step back inrunning the YankeesNew York Yankees

"There is one very important point here," Steinbrenner told The Post during an exclusive half-hour session. "The mostimportant thing to remember is this: If you didn't get it from me or my brother [Hal], it doesn't mean [anything]. I don't care about some piss-antemployee. If you don't get it from me or Hal, it's meaningless. I have a lot of things [in Tampa] and Hal is in New York, which isgood."

Asked if he has taken a step back, Steinbrenner emphatically said, "No."

Since The Boss turned over the day-to-day operations to his sons, Hank has one regret.

"I should have pushed harder for the [Johan] Santana deal," said Hank, who was talked out of signing Santana by Hal and GM BrianCashman because they believed the Yankees' talent (PhilHughes, Ian Kennedy and Melky Cabrera) and the money (Santana signed a six-year, $137.5 million extension with the Mets) was too costly. Phil Hughes Ian Kennedy

"My dad wanted to do that," Hank said. "But that doesn't mean we would have won if we got into the playoffs, because[Chien-Ming] Wang was hurt."

So, with multiple holes in the rotation, center field and first base, will Steinbrenner be more assertive this offseason when the Yankeeschase free-agent pitchers C.C. Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Derek Lowe and first baseman Mark Teixeira?

"I would likely say, 'Go do it,' " Steinbrenner said. "But that won't be necessary, because we are all on the samepage." Asked if the emphasis will be on pitching, Steinbrenner said, "Anything we can get to improve our situation, pitcher or position player. Weare going to do everything we can and try our hardest.

"We are going to look at everything, and we are interested in everything, pitchers and position players. Whatever fits for us, whateverwe need the most. To say we aren't interested in somebody would be ridiculous. Teixeira is a quality player."

One area Steinbrenner has drifted away from is dealing with the media. Too many people had his cell-phone number, so he changed it. Mediacriticism took its toll, and there have been whispers that others in the organization nudged him toward not being so outgoing.

"I said that if you treat me fair and honest, I would treat you fair and honest," Steinbrenner said. "Those days are over. Itold Hal, if you live by the press, you die by the press. I didn't live by my own words."

Despite the Yankees missing the playoffs, Steinbrenner said he believes Joe Girardi is still the right manager, and is happy Cashman re-uppedfor three years.

"I talked to him [Cashman] during the [June] draft and told him I wanted him back and I am glad he did," Steinbrenner said."He is just like me, he wants to finish the job and get this thing turned around."

Can the Yankees turn around this season's disaster in one year?

"Possibly with the major-league team, but longer than that in the farm system," Steinbrenner said. "We have the pitchersthere, but position players, we still have some work to do. We can fix the major-league team quicker."

Because his Tampa home is 20 minutes from Tropicana Field, where the Rays and Red Sox - the Yankees' biggest AL rivals - opened the ALCSlast night, Steinbrenner was asked if he was going to attend.

"I was thinking about it, but it's a great indication how strong the AL East is," Steinbrenner said of the division in whichhis club finished third. "The AL East is unbelievable. Hopefully we will be better than them next year."

call me crazy, but i dont want krod anywhere near the yanks, i have a feeling his arm is going to fall off, similar to what happened to gagne

http://www.nypost.com/sev...rs_offs_133256.htm?page=0

BRIAN Cashman shunned a trade last winter for Johan Santana Johan Santana essentially for thisreason: He did not think it was the proper moment in an ongoing renovation process to invest the level of prospects and dollars necessary to obtain evensomeone as special as the left-handed ace.

He was looking toward when the farm system had a little more time to grow and the payroll had a little more time to decrease to make such a bold move. Inother words, he was waiting until now.

The Yanks New York Yankees have roughly $88 million insalary potentially vanishing, and Yankees officials already are building toward a consensus how to use those dollars. Based on multiple interviews the initialplan looks like this:

1. Sign at least one and, preferably two, starters from among free agents CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe.

2. Re-sign either Mike Mussina Mike Mussina or Andy Pettitte.

3. With the rotation deepened by free agency, use pitching prospects in particular to obtain a prime-age, high-ceiling player at first or in the outfield.Then use minor trades or free agency to address other areas.

As one Yankees official said, "No plans ever go how you expect." And you can see how problems could arise in filling those rotation needs.Sabathia and Lowe have a West Coast preference, and Sabathia favors the DH-less NL. Burnett is friends with Carl Pavano, and his chum is not exactly an "Ilove New York" kind of guy.

Conversely, the Yanks must worry about Sabathia's heavy workload. Lowe is 35 and the last time he pitched in the AL East as a 2004 Red Sox he had a 5.42ERA (but he also won the clincher in each round during Boston's Curse-defying championship). Burnett may share more than a Marlins past with Pavano. He mayonly push himself for big money. Consider that he has exceeded 200 innings three times: The year before becoming arbitration eligible and both seasons beforehe was eligible for free agency.

But as a way to gain a window into their offseason thinking, let's give the Yanks essentially the rotation they desire: Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte(Mussina is leaning stronger toward retirement), Wang and Chamberlain.

The Yanks want a deep rotation because it gives them a chance to win any game. Nevertheless, it also allows the Yanks to potentially form a Triple-Arotation from among Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Jeff Marquez, Chase Wright, Alfredo Aceves and Phil Coke.

In four of the past five years, major league teams have used between 302 and 304 starters. That means 10 per team on average. So you better imagine afunctional second rotation when building a team.

By force feeding Hughes and Kennedy last year, the Yanks not only put unready youngsters into 40 percent of the rotation, they also left themselves withsuch poor depth that Darrell Rasner and Sidney Ponson had to eventually become answers. The Yanks want to make sure Hughes, Kennedy and all their prospectsearn their way to the majors from now on and also that there is young depth at Triple-A to counter the inevitable performance or injury issues.

Also by fortifying with free-agent starters, the Yanks believe they can more comfortably trade from the minor league stockpile now than they could lastoffseason with Santana.

The Yanks still envision Hughes blossoming as a high-end starter. But for an attractive first baseman, center fielder or right fielder, the Yanks wouldconsider moving any youngster not named Chamberlain. What will make someone attractive to the Yanks: 1) under 30; 2) athletic and sound defensively; 3)controllable into the future; 4) a well-rounded offensive game that preferably includes plate patience.

It has been assumed the Yanks will look specifically for a center fielder. But they anticipate limited options, having learned already that, for example,Pittsburgh's Nate McLouth will be near impossible to land. So they would consider having Johnny Damon as the primary center fielder with Brett Gardnerand/or Melky Cabrera around to play often enough to keep Damon's legs fresh.

That allows another year to evaluate if Gardner is for real and/or if Cabrera can rebound from a poor season, while also determining if top prospect AustinJackson at Triple-A is ready for 2010.

The Dodgers' Andre Ethier, Philadelphia's Jayson Werth, and Cleveland's Shin-Soo Choo and Franklin Gutierrez all fit the desired mode. So mightFlorida's Jeremy Hermida, a talented player who has yet to fulfil expectations. The willingness of the Yanks to include Hughes and/or Robinson Cano inconjunction with a surplus reliever or two should open many doors.

Currently, the only way the Yanks intend to chase a major positional free agent such as Manny Ramirez or Mark Teixeira is if they are shut out on pitchingand have to consider building in a different way and/or the dismal economy drives down prices (which is possible).

If the Yanks, however, can sign free-agent starters and trade for that young outfielder then they will pursue smaller trades and/or free-agent signings fora first baseman, with an eye on competent offense and sure defense. They could see if the White Sox have soured on Nick Swisher, who struggled this season, buthas a good eye, defensive versatility and is a switch-hitter.

Nick Johnson's agent, Rex Gary, said his client will be completely healed by spring training after right wrist surgery. The Nationals owe Johnson $5.5million and probably don't want to pay that on a risk. The Yanks know on those rare occasions when healthy, Johnson takes pitches and can defend well. In apinch, the Yanks could try to form a platoon between free agents Kevin Millar and Doug Mientkiewicz.

[h1]Peavy Trade Talks Begin[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [October 13 at 1:42pm CST]

A nugget from Tom Krasovic of the San DiegoUnion-Tribune:

Kevin Towers said he has heard from clubs interested in trading for ace pitcher Jake Peavy. "We're havingtalks," he said. The GM said he wouldn't be surprised if the Peavy talks heat up next month.

MLB.com's T.R.Sullivan wrote today that Peavy said he will only waive his no-trade clause for a National League team. However, Peavy's agent Barry Axelrod said Friday that three teams in the American League could enticehis client. The Yankees could be one; we discussed the possibility here. A possiblePeavy trade will be one of the biggest stories at the Winter Meetings in December.

am i the only one that wants damon gone ? I think we can do much better , that arm is a joke in center

Originally Posted by DiPlOMaT007

am i the only one that wants damon gone ? I think we can do much better , that arm is a joke in center

im with you on that one, i hate johnny the red sox damon. get him involved in any deal for peavy ........

NO CC PLEASE, DON"T DO IT HANK !!!!!!

Originally Posted by DiPlOMaT007

He's got like 1 year left I believe, let him be
laugh.gif

But about Peavy....

I'd love to get Peavy rather then Burnett or Lowe..... or maybe even rather then CC.
Simply because Peavy's contract is VERY reasonable for the type of pitcher he is... and all those other guys are going to cost some serious $$$$
The only thing is they'd probably want Hughes
eyes.gif

Then again if you have to trade Hughes to get Peavy..... leaving you with a rotation like 1 of these 2 options....
1. CC
2. Wang
3. Peavy
4. Joba
5. Mussina/Pettitte
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
World Series?

or a little worse version....

1. Peavy
2. Wang
3. Joba
4. Mussina/Pettitte
5. Lowe/Burnett/???

The Yankees have decided not to renew the contract of 3B coach Bobby Meacham. Brian Cashman just handed down word via media relations director Jason Zillo.

Cashman is in a meeting with his pro scouts at the moment. The hope is to speak to him later.

The Yankees have not named a replacement. There are several ways they could go here:

1. Name a new 3B coach

2. Move Rob Thomson or Tony Pena to 3B and name a new bench coach or first base coach.

Single-A Tampa manager Luis Sojo would appear to be a candidate but he was not particularly good at coaching third when he had the job a few years ago.

The other interesting aspect to this move is that Meacham was one of the two choices Joe Girardi made for his staff, the other being bullpen coach Mike Harkey. Firing Meacham takes away an ally of the manager. Girardi, you may recall, was stunned at questions about whether his staff would he changed, saying he saw no reason. Obviously Brian Cashman felt differently.

No word yet on whether the other coaches are returning. But presumably that is the case.

Two candidates you should not expect:

Larry Bowa: Bowa is a Joe Torre loyalist and has been outspoken in his defense of Joe and how he feels he was treated by the Yankees. It's hard to imagine Bowa now returning to the Yankees. The players would love to have Bowa back, but his personality would not mesh with Girardi.

Willie Randolph: The former Yankees coach and Mets manager still has a year left on his deal and can collect checks while playing golf. The organization would be doing Girardi no favors by having an ambitious former manager on his staff, either. If Randolph gets the job, it starts the countdown to Girardi getting fired.

UPDATE, 11:54 p.m.: Mark Feinsand of the News reports that pitching instructor Rich Monteleone got the boot as well. He was not a coach in terms of being in uniform but had pre-game duties and charted pitches during games.

The other aspect of this news is whether the Yankees feel that whoever they hire needs to be able to kick Robbie Cano in the pants once in a while. For many reasons, it'll be interesting to see who gets hired.

[h1]Olney On Pettitte, Mussina[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [October 15 at 10:52am CST]

Lots of good stuff from ESPN's BusterOlney today. His scoop on the Yankees' free agent starters:

A longtime friend of Andy Pettitte reiterated that the left-hander intends to pitch in 2009 -- and there is a growingsense that Mike Mussina may return for another season, as well, although Mussina has not indicated a final decision, one way oranother.

Intriguing news on Mussina, since he's suggested it'll beeither three more seasons or retirement. The general vibe among the media as well as Yankees GM Brian Cashman had been that Mussina is leaning towardretirement.

I imagine the Yankees will scrap the plan tosign two of C.C. Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, and Derek Lowe if both Mussina and Pettitte return. Or perhapsthey'd turn Pettitte away?
[h1]Rosenthal's Latest: Manny, Mussina, Cano, Lowe[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [October 15 at 1:39pm CST]

KenRosenthal's latest column at FOX Sports is jam-packed with rumors.
  • Manny Ramirez will generate plenty of interest on the free agent market; he wants at least four years. There was a report earlier this month that Scott Boras expected to get five years. The term will be a crucial factor. Rosenthal names the Phillies, Mets, and Yankees as three teams that may pursue Manny.
  • Rosenthal talked to friends of Mike Mussina who remain convinced he will retire. Buster Olney got a different vibe recently.
  • Rosenthal notes that the Dodgers' interest in Robinson Cano is "sincere," but it's unknown what they'd give up for him.
  • Derek Lowe's teammates say he has little interest in playing for the Mets or Yankees.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

• Derek Lowe's teammates say he has little interest in playing for the Mets or Yankees.
Good...I don't want him in NY. I don't care about what he did in the postseason with Boston in '04...he just got hot. He wouldn'tbe able to handle the pressure. here...homeboy was frail during his last years in Boston, the media and fans would always tear him up around here.

I wouldn't mind keeping Pettitte and Mussina, as long as neither are 3 years...1 year w/ an option or 2 year deals are fine with me. I think Peavy fitsthis team better than any of the big name free agent pitchers out there...as long as we don't give up the entire farm, I say go get him...
pimp.gif

Lil Steinbrenner gonna break the bank this offseason, and out track record says that isn't a good thing.

Even though signing big name free agent pitchers haven't worked out for the most part for us, I wouldn't mind use getting CC.

No quiero Derek Lowe, AJ Burnett, or Eric Bedard though.

Keep Joba as a Starter…What helps your team more pitching 200 innings per year or 80?

Go after CC and Burnett. Although I'll take peavy over both.

Hopefully we can count on Hughes next year for 10-15 wins.

Going after Man Ram wouldn't make any sense at all. We have Damon, Matsui, Nady. But I wouldn't be surprised if they went after him just to piss offthe red sox.

I like Texiera. I agree that's Tino 2.0.

I have not loss faith in Cano. But I think Melky is garbage.

Lookin' through two pages only I see that onewearz has the worst idea EVER for the Yankees.

Trade for Bedard?? Wow, this year wasn't enough to show you what he's about.

And Orlando Cabrera at 2nd !?! We're the Yankees & we're going to take the White Sox/Expos/Red Sox/ Angels/Spurs/Lakers and whatever other teamshe's been on washed up second basemen. CHILLLL.

I'll keep Robbie; Let him get some coaching though true story.

Say no to Mike Gonzalez because any pitcher from the National League means trouble in the AL East.

How bout we keep Brett Gardner at centerfield & let him lead off too. He's "Ichiro fast supposedly".

CRAZY IDEA THAT WON'T HAPPEN, BUT WOULD WORK.

Move A.Rod to 3rd in the order & back to SS where he was a gold glover. Move Jeter to center since without a doubt he's the team's best athlete& has a rocket arm. Keep Bobby & Nady. As much as I don't like Tex I can grow to like him like I did Giambi -_- and have him hit clean up. Forceteams to pitch to A.Rod in the first inning of every game and not pitch around him. Then all we'd need is a decent 3rd basemen think Crede even though Idon't like him.

But back to reality. That won't happen & I have no idea what will happen. But unless Johan is back on the market for Melky, Hughes & Kennedy again.I say we don't trade any young dudes unless it SCREAMS do it.

OH AND GET MANNY!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by iM COOL C

Lookin' through two pages only I see that onewearz has the worst idea EVER for the Yankees.

Trade for Bedard?? Wow, this year wasn't enough to show you what he's about.

And Orlando Cabrera at 2nd !?! We're the Yankees & we're going to take the White Sox/Expos/Red Sox/ Angels/Spurs/Lakers and whatever other teams he's been on washed up second basemen. CHILLLL.

I'll keep Robbie; Let him get some coaching though true story.

Say no to Mike Gonzalez because any pitcher from the National League means trouble in the AL East.

How bout we keep Brett Gardner at centerfield & let him lead off too. He's "Ichiro fast supposedly".

CRAZY IDEA THAT WON'T HAPPEN, BUT WOULD WORK.

Move A.Rod to 3rd in the order & back to SS where he was a gold glover. Move Jeter to center since without a doubt he's the team's best athlete & has a rocket arm. Keep Bobby & Nady. As much as I don't like Tex I can grow to like him like I did Giambi -_- and have him hit clean up. Force teams to pitch to A.Rod in the first inning of every game and not pitch around him. Then all we'd need is a decent 3rd basemen think Crede even though I don't like him.

But back to reality. That won't happen & I have no idea what will happen. But unless Johan is back on the market for Melky, Hughes & Kennedy again. I say we don't trade any young dudes unless it SCREAMS do it.

OH AND GET MANNY!!!!!!!!!!

roll.gif

bedard was a good pitcher in the al east. i just think he had a bad year on a very bad team. players sometimes have bad years. i think he was comfortable backeast ( closer to home ), it's just a hunch and sometimes hunches come thru.

orlando cabrera is a sure handed glove who HUSTLES and makes smart plays. cano really disappointed me this year and my feeling is we should trade him while hestill has value. i think we've seen the best of him and also the worst. i dont think you need a second basemen to hit .340 ,even though it would be nice,but play a LAZY 2b. you can do fine with a dude that hits .280 - .300 that gives you gold glove caliber defense. yanks have offense, we need role players.cabrera would fit as a role player in my opinion. cano cant even bunt when we need em to. i really think he's gone this offseason.

arod to short would never happen, he's fragile as it is mentally and with the fans. you think if he took jeter's position there wont be any pressure onhim from the fans ? this is new york where some of the most impatient yet loyal fans live and jeter is god so that wont work.

we agree on 1 thing, manny needs to be in pinstripes. put arod in front of this dude and arod would hit 60 hr's. we could use him as a dh and trade matsuior damon...

cmon dog , thats foul callin me out in the thread
laugh.gif
i'm loyal .........

If you think Bedard would be able to handle NY your out of your mind. He cant take the pressure in Seattle and barely cares about baseball. If the Yankees gaveup anything significant for him George should fire everyone. Remember this is a team that wanted A prospects for Jarrod Washburn. Imagine what they would wantfor a guy that they got for Adam Jones and George Sherill.

I'm not even in baseball mode right now, but its good to see (in the title at least) that Moose and Andy might return. We need to work on our DH/CF/1Bpositions and SP. Nothing more.

YANKEES NEWS * * * UPDATE, 7:12 p.m.: Hank has emerged from the meetings and spoken. In a stunning announcement, it turnsout that starting pitcher Joba Chamberlain will be a starting pitcher next season.

"The plan as of right now is Chamberlain is going to be a starter. Everybody's pretty much in agreement with that," hesaid.

Here's who was at the meetings: Hank, Hal, Randy Levine, Lonn Trost, Brian Cashman, Jean Afterman, Mark Newman, Stick Michael, FelixLopez, Reggie Jackson and Tino Martinez.

"It was a productive day," Hank said. "We didn't make any decisions today. We just covered all the things we need to fix.Everything is open. We're willing to do anything that will improve us. It was more of a summary and quite a lot of discussion."

i like joba in bullpen , but i guess if we still need a sp he their top choice , but having a lights out 8th and 9th sounds great to me

[h1]Yanks Talk Peavy Trade[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [October 17 at 10:03am CST]

According to Dan Graziano of the NewarkStar-Ledger, the Yankees have had preliminary discussions with the Padres about Jake Peavy (hat tip to River Ave. Blues). Peavy was apparently a hot topic at the Yankees'organizational meetings. Peavy's agent hinted he might accept a trade to theYankees, but he does prefer the NL.

Peavy's preferred cities are Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, and St. Louis. Despite that, Graziano says the Mets have interest. The Padres are aggressively shopping Peavy, seekingtwo young pitchers and a near MLB-ready center fielder.

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

If you think Bedard would be able to handle NY your out of your mind. He cant take the pressure in Seattle and barely cares about baseball. If the Yankees gave up anything significant for him George should fire everyone. Remember this is a team that wanted A prospects for Jarrod Washburn. Imagine what they would want for a guy that they got for Adam Jones and George Sherill.

I don't think that's fully accurate, he was injured most of the season I don't think it had anything to do w/the pressure. But Im' 100% behindyou that they shouldn't trade for him because of the high demand the Mariners would want back in return.

If the Padres are considering including Greene in the deal, does anyone else think the Yanks might hang Cano out there as bait?

I haven't been in baseball mode for a couple of weeks trying to focus on the destruction of the Cowboys and the faint possibility of a good season from theKnicks
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom