New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

What's to do in Lincoln, Nebraska, anyway?
laugh.gif

Jeter
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I
laugh.gif
at the news of Joba being arrested, since I know a bunch of people who are Joba fans, even though they are Mets fans.

I'm actually not that worried about this...but I hope Yankee brass can send a message to him to stay out of any more legal trouble.

::awaits the obligatory potshot from KLJ::

im always in for a game next season

joba gotta chill, i know a dude who saw him earlier this year in a club and he said dude looked wasted. i hope this aint something that ruins his career. majorfork in the road for this kid
smh.gif

joba_mugshot.jpg

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

DUI's are no joke my friend was killed a few months ago around Cornell because of drunk driving. SMH Joba

Buster Olney has some fun-to-read analysis of last night'sgame, as well as some solid rumors for our consumption:
  • The Yankees seem almost destined to sign Mark Teixeira this offseason, but while it's been suggested that Teixeira is seeking upwards of 10 years, $200MM, the Yankees may be looking to offer half of that, or "a deal in the range of 6 years, $18-20MM a year." Good news for the Orioles who look to be the biggest competitor for the Yankees in pursuing both Teixeira and A.J. Burnett.
  • The Yankees are gearing up to offer CC Sabathia "an offer that may dwarf those of other clubs, by a factor of 30 or 40 percent." Olney feels that may be a necessary surcharge to convince Sabathia to pitch in the Big Apple.

John Perrotto has his Every Given Sunday column up over atBaseball Prospectus. Here's some highlights from his "Rumors and Rumblings section" this week:
  • Perrotto expects a Jake Peavy deal to be done before the Winter Meetings, stating that the Braves, Yankees, and Dodgers seem to be the leaders in the race right now. He notes that the Yankees will be willing to include Phil Hughes, while the Braves are willing to move Yunel Escobar.
  • The Yankees are planning on using Joba Chamberlain in their rotation next year, but are not planning on settling for what they have. Perrotto states that the Yankees will "go all-in" on the free agent market, making aggressive offers to C.C. Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Derek Lowe, and Mark Teixeira. Add in the pursuit of Peavy, and decisions on numerous free agents, and it looks like a very busy offseason for the Bombers.

good to hear the yanks are going after tex, i want him more than anyone in pinstripes. i dont like that fact that they're gonna give cc the world includingrenaming the grand concourse after him and his own subway stop on the 4 train. i dont want this guy, reeks of disaster . i hope i'm wrong but we'veseen it happen already too many times with these big name free agents.

i don't think we got a shot at peavy. dude is wayyyyy too country for ny. he'd be miserable here. if we cant get tex yanks should look into a trade foradrian gonzalez from the padres. dude's stats are pretty solid .........

Rosenthal states that the following teams have been speculated to be suitors for the Padres' ace: Braves, Angels, Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, Astros, Dodgers, Cardinals, Brewers, Rays, Rangers. While all of these are not seriouspossibilities, he elaborates on each team.
He mentions Yunel Escobar as a likely centerpiece from Atlanta, and states that the Angels would love to acquire a frontline starter to allowthem to send Ervin Santana and/or Joe Saunders to Colorado in a deal for Matt Holliday and/orGarrett Atkins. Rosenthal states that Howie Kendrick could be a big part of any trade, but his health seems like too seriousof a concern to me.
Rosenthal speculates on the possibility of a dominant rotation for the Yankees if they traded for Peavy and signedC.C. Sabathia.
One rival executive's speculative package for Boston included Jacoby Ellsbury, Jed Lowrie, and JustinMasterson. The Padres will likely charge the Dodgers considerably more for Peavy's service, as they are division rivals. He lists RickieWeeks and J.J. Hardy as a possible centerpiece for a Milwaukee blockbuster, but also points out that Ben Sheets has made the Brewerswary of injury concerns. The other teams don't seem to match up well, in Rosenthal's opinion.

Yankees. Imagine if they signed Sabathia and traded for Peavy, adding two of the top 30-and-under starting pitchers in the game to a rotation that already includes Chien-Ming Wang, 28, and Joba Chamberlain, 23. Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano, owed $25 million over the next three seasons, should be affordable for even the Padres. But would Peavy be willing to pitch in the AL East?

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by onewearz

i don't think we got a shot at peavy. dude is wayyyyy too country for ny. he'd be miserable here.

rocket?
Pettite?
Boomer?

nerd.gif

pettite came up in the organization

boomer always wanted to be a yankee and he's nowhere near country

rocket was a leech lookin for a ring . but i still don't think he's nearly as country as peavy.

peavy would need to be convinced to play here same as brett favre when the jets were wooing him. they had to show him where he could hunt, fish and do some ofthe things he was accustomed to doing.......

I think there's enough country guys on the yanks to keep him occupied. I'm sure the Yankees would set it up so he has his own hunting range in centralpark. And besides, it's not like he's Larry the Cable Guy, he has ads on san diego television promoting a jewelry store.

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

I think there's enough country guys on the yanks to keep him occupied. I'm sure the Yankees would set it up so he has his own hunting range in central park. And besides, it's not like he's Larry the Cable Guy, he has ads on san diego television promoting a jewelry store.

laugh.gif
aight then im sold get r done cash !!!!

larrythecableguy.jpg

• Peavy is not a fan of the American League or New York, so don't look for him to land with the Yankees or Mets. The Mets don't seem interested anyway.
  • Despite Peavy's wishes, the Padres have identified four possible AL trading partners for him: the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, and Red Sox. Peavy's agent says he hasn't closed any doors but the Boston Herald's Michael Silverman believes the Red Sox or Yankees would have to pay a steep price in extra compensation to entice the pitcher.
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

I'd gladly throw Hughes in for a deal for Peavy.
That caught me off guard. I could understand Johan, but no way I'd give up Hughes for Peavy.

i'd like to give hughes a shot but he just seems like he's gonna be one of those fragile pitchers who had alot of potential. what about freddy garcia,is he finished or what? maybe we can give him a shot in spring training, dude was a horse ...........

Joba's timing problem is not as bad as Mark Prior(the worst) or Kerry Wood but he does have one. I would say it's far more on the lines of Tom Glavineor Curt Shilling and Tom didn't start breaking down till the end of his career. Only Joba is far more of a max effort pichter compared to Glavineseffortless delivery...this might accelerate his deciline.

Glavine7.jpg

megdaljobachamberlain2h.jpg

Tom-Glavine-49E-0081.jpg

p1.joba.jpg

Tim Lincecum has a similar problem except his elbow doesn't get as high limitimg his risk of ingury.

Here's Chris O'leary's take....

[h2]The Bottom Line[/h2]
The bottom line is that Joba Chamberlain breaks his hands with his elbows, which is an arm action pattern that puts him in a borderline Inverted L position.This then creates something of a timing problem for him. While Joba Chamberlain's Inverted L and timing problem aren't as bad as that of BJ Ryan, it will tend to increase the load on both hisshoulder and his elbow. This means that Joba Chamberlain is at an above-average risk of continuing toexperience injury problems.
I should note that the above doesn't contradict my previousanalysis of the pitching mechanics of Joba Chamberlain. Back then, I said that I generally liked Joba Chamberlain's pitching mechanics but that I wasconcerned that he might have a timing problem.

joba doesnt have proper mechanics...but its not OD

i wouldnt want to give up hughes for peavy...i think hughes will be a star down the road

If you're dreamin' the Jake Peavy dream, you might want to let it go.

Peavy faced the Yankees on June 18 at the Stadium. That was the day the Yankees signed Sidney Ponson and my story in the paper the next day was mostly about that. But I did spend some time to go into the Padres clubhouse after the game and was among the small group of reporters who talked to Peavy. I didn't use any of his quotes in my story but transcribed them anyway.

Somebody asked Peavy whether he enjoyed pitching at Yankee Stadium given that it was the last season.

"Yeah, it OK," he said. "I'm glad I did it. But I've never really been one for New York. I just go from the hotel to the park."

Hmm. That does not sound like somebody who would waive his no-trade clause to come play in the Bronx, does it?

Yeah, I guess Peavy is too much of a country boy for NY...
frown.gif
I respect that though, because he's more about being comfortable than money so kudos to him...
Originally Posted by TBONE95860

• The Yankees are gearing up to offer CC Sabathia "an offer that may dwarf those of other clubs, by a factor of 30 or 40 percent." Olney feels that may be a necessary surcharge to convince Sabathia to pitch in the Big Apple.
See I don't mind getting CC...but that's ridiculous right there. Homeboy likes the NL and would only accept this offer strictly based onmoney, not where he'd LIKE or feel COMFORTABLE playing for the next 6-8 years...I'm tired of getting guys who only play for the money, the Yankees aremorons if they offer this dude that much...
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom