New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

I dont want Pettite back with this team, he already said no to the 10 mil we offered a month ago, now that one one wants his %%% hes going to beg for a job andget even less than 10. We dont need him, I'd rather gamble and give Sheets a 1-2 yr deal for 8 mil

NEW YORK -- Andy Pettitte and the Yankees have agreed to a $5.5 million, one-year contract that brings the left-hander back to New York.

A person familiar with the negotiations said the agreement would be announced Monday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the sides agreed not to make public statements before the announcement.

Pettitte can make an additional $6.5 million on performance bonuses and bonuses based on time on the active roster. Late last year, New York had offered a deal that would have guaranteed Pettitte $10 million, down from the $16 million he earned last year.

He joins a starting rotation that already includes CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Chien-Ming Wang and Joba Chamberlain. The deal raised the Yankees' projected opening-day payroll to $196.8 million for 17 players with agreements.

Pettitte pitched for the Yankees from 1995-2003, helping them win four World Series titles, then spent three seasons with his hometown Houston Astros. He returned to the Yankees in 2007 and was 14-14 with a 4.54 ERA last season, his highest ERA since 1999.

Pitching with a sore shoulder, he was 2-7 with a 6.23 ERA in his final 11 starts and missed his last turn of the season.

[h1]Yankees Close To Deal With Andy Pettitte[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [January 26 at 1:30pm CST]

1:30pm: John Harper of the New York DailyNews says the two sides have "essentially agreed" to a deal but final details need to be worked out.

12:28pm: Rosenthal now agrees thatit'll be less than $6MM guaranteed with incentives that could push the total to $12MM. He says the two sides are "closing in" on adeal.

11:53am: According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Yankeesare close to a deal with Pettitte that could guarantee nearly $6MM with another $6MM in incentives. The deal could be done this afternoon. Ken Rosenthal wrote earlier that the incentives could pushPettitte close to $16MM.

10:09am: Accordingto SI.com's Jon Heyman, Andy Pettitte and the Yankees are in serious talks and there's a "lot of optimism" for aone-year deal. It would be for less than $10MM guaranteed.
Originally Posted by venom lyrix

I dont want Pettite back with this team, he already said no to the 10 mil we offered a month ago, now that one one wants his %%% hes going to beg for a job and get even less than 10. We dont need him, I'd rather gamble and give Sheets a 1-2 yr deal for 8 mil
No....
We need Andy, not Sheets.
All we need is another injury prone/likely pitcher....
We already have Burnett who is injury prone.... Joba who if pitches too much will get injured.... Wang who is coming back from a big injury.... and CC Sabathiawho has pitched TOO many innings

We need someone who will hopefully provide innings + he's a veteran who know's how to win.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

We need someone who will hopefully provide innings + he's a veteran who know's how to win.
Exactly. I like the signing it adds depth to the rotation, and Andy is going to give you 200 innings.

What do you think the Yankees want in exchange for Nady or Swisher?

Braves are looking at one of those two.

glad we signed andy, now hopefully phil hughes lights it up in the spring forcing the yanks to put joba in the pen. i know not everyone agrees with me but ithink it makes us the most complete bullpen in the american league.

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

I get to take a tour of the stadium this weekend, pics will follow.

how did you get it, season ticket holder ? lemee know i wanna take a tour .......

My girl said she was gonna get that for my birthday but decided against it cause she thought it was for when the season opens.

Originally Posted by onewearz

glad we signed andy, now hopefully phil hughes lights it up in the spring forcing the yanks to put joba in the pen. i know not everyone agrees with me but i think it makes us the most complete bullpen in the american league.

how did you get it, season ticket holder ? lemee know i wanna take a tour .......

Friend's dad is a construction worker. I'll gauge her to see if i can take my multi-ethnic 'siblings'...

Originally Posted by onewearz

glad we signed andy, now hopefully phil hughes lights it up in the spring forcing the yanks to put joba in the pen. i know not everyone agrees with me but i
think it makes us the most complete bullpen in the american league.

Frankie Valentino wrote:

Friend's dad is a construction worker. I'll gauge her to see if i can take my multi-ethnic 'siblings'...

pimp.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

We're distant cousins in case they ask
grin.gif
laugh.gif

If he pitches well, then I'll be satisfied, because he will have earned the incentives that he has the opportunity to get, instead of up frontgiving him more than $10 million like he wanted.

Glad to have Pettite back in the fold.
pimp.gif

I know he's kicking himself for not taking the initial offer though.
laugh.gif

I'll be glad to see Andy in the new Stadium, but I'm really not expecting too much from him. I hope he has a good year and then calls it a career.

Originally Posted by lilhen18

I'll be glad to see Andy in the new Stadium, but I'm really not expecting too much from him. I hope he has a good year and then calls it a career.
Well he's our #4 or #5

If he can provide a large amount of innings with anywhere betwena 3.50 and 4.50 ERA I'll be happy.
(For the record.... in the 1st half of the season last year before he dealt with shoulder problems he was 10-7 with a 4.05 ERA, I'll take that!!)

Andy Pettitte's deal (via the AP):

Base salary: $5.5 million.

Innings bonuses: $500,000 each for 150, 160 and 170 innings pitched and $750,000 each for 180, 190, 200 and 210 innings.

Roster bonuses: $100,000 for 120 days on the active 25-man roster, $200,000 for 130 days, $250,000 each for 140 and 150 days, and $400,000 each for 160, 170 and 180 days.

So if Pettitte throws 180 innings and stays on the roster all season, he'll make $9.75 million. That seems pretty reasonable.

The upside of this tremendous for the Yankees. It's reasonable to expect that their rotation as it stands can give them 925+ innings. This allows them to skip Joba Chamberlain if they want, give CC Sabathia or A.J. Burnett an extra day if they need it, etc.

Glad to have Andy back.

I know he's kicking himself for turning down the initial 10 million offer. And that rogue 32 million/2 year contract he claimed to have on the table.
laugh.gif

By the way, when do public tours of the stadium start? I'm in there.

if i was the yanks, i would go for one more starter......lets go get garland for cheap or sheets

I'd still rather have Hughes at #5 and Joba do bullpen, like a small minority of people. But oh well, lets hope that Joba doesn't blow out his arm. Idef like how we are balanced with lefties and righties again like in the late 90s. We've been stacked on righties way too much over the past decade.

Hal Steinbrenner is on WFAN right now with Mike Francesa.

The book: "I'm sure I'll thumb through it and read certain sections."

His father: "He's looking forward to spring training."

He said the team is run by committee because he and his brother are involved. Good political answer there.

"I'm the control person but this is a family business," he said.

He said last year was "tremendously disappointing." Based on the additions, he expects a better team in 2009. Steinbrenner just said he thought Joe Girardi did a "great job" but adjustments had to be made.

On the new Stadium in relation to the economy: "This is a different world for all of us, every single person in this country." He said they were concerned about a few things a few months ago.

Hal is plugging the ticket prices at the new Stadium. They're not all expensive, he says.

On the new Stadium: "There aren't too many bad seats in the house, if any." Well, that's a relief. They only spent $1.5 billion.

Hal said the Yankees can duplicate their run of the late 1990s. "I would expect nothing less," he said.

Hal said his family is committed to owning the team. "We have no intention of selling," he said.

Hal said he won't be a hands-on owner in terms of baseball and chastising the manager. "Right or wrong, I'm a little less like that than my dad was," he said.

Hal said they will sign Manny, Dunn and Sheets tomorrow.

(Only kidding. just wanted to make sure you were paying attention.)

Francesa is shocked to learn the Yankees formed a concessions company for the new Stadium.

The interview is over, 20 minutes. Thankfully Mike didn't ask about Joba pitching in relief.

Back
Top Bottom