News On Future Films Based on Comics/Paranormal/Sci-Fi

"The Tick" Creator Says Amazon Reboot Will Be 'Darker and More Grounded'

"The Tick" is returning to television with a reboot at Amazon Prime, and comic book creator Ben Edlund -- who wrote and drew "The Tick" series through the '80s and '90s -- is along for the ride to shape the character for the small screen once again. He recently opened up about the reboot's take on the property, which he says maintains its comedic slant, but presents itself in a "darker" and "more grounded" manner.

"We’ve got this show about superheroes [where] we get to have fun with the idea of superheroes by starting with kind of a comedic parody of [an] event-oriented-like universe," Edlund told Entertainment Weekly. "It will be darker and more grounded. And it’s going to have a real story, a real hero’s myth. We’re the ones that get to have fun with it and that’s kind of the situation where right now that’s an open field in this area of entertainment."

Edlund went on to describe the comic book influence on the series, saying continuity will play a big role in the series: "I love continuity and playing a seriality that is very close to what comics always have been, which is when something happens it gets fed into the ongoing canon and that becomes part of the fabric of the reality that that universe holds. To me, that’s something [that] is still super valuable, even in the humor universe."

Starring Peter Serafinowicz ("Guardians of the Galaxy") as the titular character, and executive produced by Barry Josephson, Patrick Warburton, Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures TV, "The Tick" pilot will be available on Amazon Prime Instant Video.

Everybody is getting darker and more "realistic"

"The Tick" Creator Says Amazon Reboot Will Be 'Darker and More Grounded'

"The Tick" is returning to television with a reboot at Amazon Prime, and comic book creator Ben Edlund -- who wrote and drew "The Tick" series through the '80s and '90s -- is along for the ride to shape the character for the small screen once again. He recently opened up about the reboot's take on the property, which he says maintains its comedic slant, but presents itself in a "darker" and "more grounded" manner.

"We’ve got this show about superheroes [where] we get to have fun with the idea of superheroes by starting with kind of a comedic parody of [an] event-oriented-like universe," Edlund told Entertainment Weekly. "It will be darker and more grounded. And it’s going to have a real story, a real hero’s myth. We’re the ones that get to have fun with it and that’s kind of the situation where right now that’s an open field in this area of entertainment."

Edlund went on to describe the comic book influence on the series, saying continuity will play a big role in the series: "I love continuity and playing a seriality that is very close to what comics always have been, which is when something happens it gets fed into the ongoing canon and that becomes part of the fabric of the reality that that universe holds. To me, that’s something [that] is still super valuable, even in the humor universe."

Starring Peter Serafinowicz ("Guardians of the Galaxy") as the titular character, and executive produced by Barry Josephson, Patrick Warburton, Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures TV, "The Tick" pilot will be available on Amazon Prime Instant Video.

Everybody is getting darker and more "realistic"

The term "being grounded in reality" or any iteration of it just needs to go away :lol:

Batista continue to get casted in big films

Possible tease for a role in Blade Runner 2

I can't wait to share some really exciting news...

Last edited:
I really didn't think he would make it hollywood but damn I'm happy he did.

Easily best part of spectre

I saw Hayek and Reily and figured it was another comedy.

30 more seconds in and it's looking like a movie about what these fairy tales originally were (horror stories) especially if taken as is; wolves eating children, witches eating children, monsters and beasts of all types, etc.

Batista's hard work is really paying off.

I remember reading about how serious he took his acting when he was signed on for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Good to see him flourish and isn't starring in B-rated films lol.

Batista's hard work is really paying off.

I remember reading about how serious he took his acting when he was signed on for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Good to see him flourish and isn't starring in B-rated films lol.
Apparently, he hit up everyone for advice/tips, listened to everything, was humble, and never said a bad word about anyone.

Who would've thought humility, hard work, and self-improvement = keys to success?

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Tom Cruise is somewhat quietly expanding good movie franchises, first Jack Reacher, this (Edge of Tomorrow sequel) then starring on the new Mummy for Universals Monster Universe.

Tom Cruise’s ‘Edge Of Tomorrow’ Sequel Finds Its Scribes

EXCLUSIVE: Joe Shrapnel and Anna Waterhouse have been tapped to write the sequel to Tom Cruise and Doug Liman’s sci-fi sleeper hit Edge Of Tomorrow. The original film, also starring a buffed-up Emily Blunt, was a surprise and pleasure for many genre fans with its time-bending narrative and stylish chemistry between its leads. Although a slow opener domestically, it eventually hit $100 million in the U.S. More importantly, it was a bone fide smash internationally, grossing a further $270 million or so to make the case for a sequel pretty compelling.

The original seemed to square up any loose ends pretty efficiently, though, so Shrapnel and Waterhouse will have to be inventive to find a way to get Blunt back in the mix with Cruise. Liman is attached to direct with Erwin Stoff and Tom Lassally producing. Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote the first film, is in talks to board as a producer and is developing the script with the writers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom