News On Future Films Based on Comics/Paranormal/Sci-Fi

‘Avatar’ Sequels Update: Production “Officially” Begins In September On Saga’s Stand-Alones

Ascending the stage during 20th Century Fox’s presentation at CineEurope this evening, Lightstorm Entertainment’s Jon Landau offered an update on the four upcoming Avatar sequels. Production on the James Cameron-directed pics, which will be stand-alones but together form “an epic saga,” officially begins September 25 with performance capture, Landau told the assembled exhibitors in Barcelona.

The production start date has been somewhat fluid, seeming to jockey over time. In April, when the sequels’ release dates were set, the Avatar Facebook page touted, “Great to be working with the best team in the business! Avatar takes flight as we begin concurrent production on four sequels.”

Landau tonight noted Cameron “has done a couple of sequels before in his career and I would argue that those sequels have lived up to, if not exceeded, the original movies.” That starts, he said, with the foundation of a script and “that’s what Jim has been working on for the last several years… Finally, we have the four scripts for the Avatar films ready.”

During the development phase, “some of the industry’s best artists” have been working on designing a world of these movies, said Landau, who then showed a premiere preview montage of some of the designs of Pandora and its inhabitants.

“At the heart of any movie are the characters,” Landau continued. “One of the strengths of great scripts are always the universal and relatable themes… There’s no more relatable theme than family. At the center of each of our four movies will be the Sully family. Each sequel will play as a stand-alone movie. Each movie’s story will come to its own conclusion… However, when looked at as a whole, the journey across all four movies will create an even larger connected epic saga for audiences around the world.”

While developing the scripts, the decision was made to continue to set the movies on Pandora. “We always knew that Pandora was a place as diverse as Earth,” Landau said. The original cast is reuniting for the films while Landau also noted that Game Of Thrones‘ star Oona Chaplin has joined the cast and will be involved in all of the next movies.

Avatar is the biggest box office hit of all time, grossing $2.7B worldwide. The sequels are set for release thusly: Avatar 2 on December 18, 2020; Avatar 3 on December 17, 2021; Avatar 4 on December 20, 2024; and Avatar 5 on December 19, 2025.

^Doesn't look bad. But just confused how the video game brings them to the same world from the Board Game.

They lost me with the people on the motor bikes, Jack Black looks like he'll be the funniest. Looks alright, the thing I hate is that I'm expecting the animals(and I guess Nick Jonas flying a helicopter now) in the jungle. The first one was great because it was kids and took place in the actual world. I get that they couldn't do that though. Right now it goes into my Guilty pleasures Netflix pile with Transformers, TMNT and Power Rangers, no way I see this in theaters. If RW was still alive it'd be an automatic watch though just for the cameo alone

Last edited:
Lionsgate Is In Final Negotiations To Release HELLBOY: RISE OF THE BLOOD QUEEN

According to a report by Splash Report, which was then confirmed by The Hollywod Reporter, Lionsgate is in final negotiations to release Hellboy: Rise Of The Blood Queen.

The new film will be directed by Neil Marshall and will star David Harbour as Hellboy. Larry Gordon, Lloyd Levin and Mike Richardson will be producing the movie, which is reportedly scheduled to shoot this fall.

Netflix to adapt comic series The Umbrella Academy

Netflix has announced that they’re bringing the world of the Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba comic series The Umbrella Academy to life with a 10-episode series order to premiere in 2018.

Based on the popular, Eisner award-winning comics and graphic novels the series follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes (The Umbrella Academy) — The Monocle, Spaceboy, The Kraken, The Rumor, The Séance, Number Five, The Horror, and The White Violin — as they work together to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams due to their divergent personalities and abilities. Published by Dark Horse Comics, the comic series garnered much praise from fans and critics alike for its alternate and twisted take on the superhero genre.

“I am thrilled that The Umbrella Academy has found a home at Netflix. I couldn’t think of a better place for the vision Gabriel Ba and myself had when creating the comic, and cannot wait for people to experience that world as a live action show,” Way said.

“What drew us to The Umbrella Academy is that it’s wholly unique, visual and stylized,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President of Originals at Netflix. “These aren’t the usual superheroes, and this series will embrace the singular tone of the graphic novels — dark yet humorous, supernatural yet grounded in reality. We’re excited to see this world and introduce these unforgettable heroes to Netflix members around the globe.”

“It’s a thrill to be producing this wonderful show for Netflix,” said Jeff Wachtel, Chief Content Officer, NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, and President, Universal Cable Productions. “It’s been a passion project for the UCP development crew and we can’t wait to bring it to life.”

The Umbrella Academy will be produced by Universal Cable Productions. Steve Blackman (Fargo, Altered Carbon) will serve as executive producer and showrunner, with additional executive producers Bluegrass Television and Mike Richardson and Keith Goldberg from Dark Horse Entertainment. Gerard Way will serve as co-executive producer. The pilot script was adapted from the comic book series by Jeremy Slater (The Exorcist).

The series has previously been in development for feature adaptations, none of which have materialized, but has been shopped around for TV since 2015.

had zero interest in chappie.. but ESPECIALLY after the pieces of elysium i did see (i dont think i've ever watched that movie all the way through)

Back
Top Bottom