NFC Divisional Game: Seattle Seahawks @ Chicago Bears (Soldier Field, 1/16/11, 10AM PT, FOX)

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

[table][tr][td]QB[/td][/tr][tr][td]
statLogo_sea.gif
[/td][/tr][/table]
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I have faith in Cutler, don't mind if him or Rodgers make it to the SB tho

Originally Posted by henz0

statLogo_sea.gif
[/td][/tr][/table]
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

*bows*
Thank you for your blessing, henz0.

*crawls away*  

embarassed.gif

Edit:

Jay Cutler 
laugh.gif

That's my quarterback!! 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by henz0

statLogo_sea.gif
[/td][/tr][/table]
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

*bows*
Thank you for your blessing, henz0.

*crawls away*  

embarassed.gif

Edit:

Jay Cutler 
laugh.gif

That's my quarterback!! 
pimp.gif

No wonder why I like this dude so much. These are me answers and actions.
roll.gif

Cutler (disgusted): I said you could watch the games. I didn't say I watched the games. You've got to listen.
Reporter: When you were a kid, which quarterback did you look up to?
Cutler
: Nobody.
Reporter
: Nobody? You didn't look up to anybody?

Cutler: No.

laugh.gif

He's a battler who's done amazingly well considering the swingingsaloon-door offensive line he has to play behind. The man has beensacked more times this season (52) than in his three seasons in Denvercombined (51). Yet he never complains.
Remember what I said when you asked me why I liked Cutler and not Philip Rivers, CP?

No wonder why I like this dude so much. These are me answers and actions.
roll.gif

Cutler (disgusted): I said you could watch the games. I didn't say I watched the games. You've got to listen.
Cutler
: Nobody.
Reporter
: Nobody? You didn't look up to anybody?

laugh.gif

He's a battler who's done amazingly well considering the swingingsaloon-door offensive line he has to play behind. The man has beensacked more times this season (52) than in his three seasons in Denvercombined (51). Yet he never complains.
Remember what I said when you asked me why I liked Cutler and not Philip Rivers, CP?

^
I remember. 

I gravitate to Rivers because he reminds me of Marino.  Make a mistake and Dan would end your life just by looking thru you.  Rivers seems that same way. 

I have no clue what Cutler's got goin on in that brain of his honestly.  He's obviously a different guy, just not sure good or bad. 

^
I remember. 

I gravitate to Rivers because he reminds me of Marino.  Make a mistake and Dan would end your life just by looking thru you.  Rivers seems that same way. 

I have no clue what Cutler's got goin on in that brain of his honestly.  He's obviously a different guy, just not sure good or bad. 

I figured that Reilly article would be posted.

We already know Cutler is a douche, but he tells it like it is and doesn't suck up to the media. Seems like they've always been against him for his nonchalant attitude and not surprisingly, he despises them. Hell I would too if people scrutinized every single move I made. Urlacher does the same thing and no one gets on his case for it. It seems like Reilly overreacts over getting snubbed. His teammates love and respect him and seeing that stat about the sacks he's taken this season is amazing; he really hasn't complained about it once. He doesn't yell at his teammates for missing blocking assignments and he always gets up and continues to get in the huddle. You can tell he has some good in him for helping out those kids; it's just probably his personality that turns people away. Sorry he's not the Brady or Manning media golden boy that we're used to seeing. I mean I really don't care about his personality since I don't know him personally, but I just want him to win games for us.

I figured that Reilly article would be posted.

We already know Cutler is a douche, but he tells it like it is and doesn't suck up to the media. Seems like they've always been against him for his nonchalant attitude and not surprisingly, he despises them. Hell I would too if people scrutinized every single move I made. Urlacher does the same thing and no one gets on his case for it. It seems like Reilly overreacts over getting snubbed. His teammates love and respect him and seeing that stat about the sacks he's taken this season is amazing; he really hasn't complained about it once. He doesn't yell at his teammates for missing blocking assignments and he always gets up and continues to get in the huddle. You can tell he has some good in him for helping out those kids; it's just probably his personality that turns people away. Sorry he's not the Brady or Manning media golden boy that we're used to seeing. I mean I really don't care about his personality since I don't know him personally, but I just want him to win games for us.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Article from Rick Reilly

For a man from Santa Claus, Ind., Jay Cutler is one of the least jolly people you've ever met.

If he's not The Most Hated Man in the NFL, he's in the running. His expression is usually that of a man wearing sandpaper underwear. He looks everywhere but into your eyes. It's a tie as to which he enjoys more -- smirking or shrugging.

It's hard to say what interests Cutler, but it's definitely not you.

Once, in his rookie year in Denver, 45 minutes before a game, surefire Hall of Fame safety John Lynch was trying to explain something to Cutler about NFL pass coverage. Except Cutler wasn't looking at Lynch. He was texting.

"Man, I'm trying to talk to you!" Lynch protested.

Didn't help. Cutler was all thumbs, head down. Finally, Lynch slapped the phone out of Cutler's hands, smashing it to the floor.

He listened after that.

[h3][/h3]

One time, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan thought it would be helpful for Cutler and Broncos legend John Elway to have lunch. Let Cutler drink in some of Elway's experience.

The three of them sat down at a Denver steak joint. Elway, polite as ever, tried to impart some wisdom. Except Cutler wasn't looking at Elway. He wasn't looking at Shanahan, either. He was looking at the TV. The whole time. With his baseball cap on backward. All the way through dessert. Elway did not leave impressed.

So when Josh McDaniels, before he had even set his Samsonite down, started railroading Cutler out of town, almost nobody stood up for him.

Cutler was boxed up and shipped to Chicago, where, this Sunday, he will play his first playoff game of any kind since high school, this one at home against the Seattle Seahawks.

It's a huge moment for Cutler, if only because his disdain for making nice means everything rides on his wins and losses.

"In New York, they want to poke you in the eye," says former Bear and sports radio host Tom Waddle. "In L.A., they don't care about you. But in Chicago, they want to love you. They want to make a connection with you. Any kind of connection. But Jay doesn't really care."

Cutler could own Chicago if he wanted. In a city that has had as many good quarterbacks as Omaha has had good surfers, Cutler could have his name on half the billboards and all the jerseys. My God, the kid grew up a Bears fan! But he doesn't even try. He has zero endorsements and doesn't want any. If there is such a thing as a Jay Cutler Fan Club, Cutler is having a membership drive -- to drive them out.

nfl_u_jcutler2_sy_200.jpg

Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US PresswireIf you're a reporter looking for a helpful answer out of Jay Cutler, good luck.

Example from Wednesday's 15-minute news conference, the only time he speaks publicly the entire workweek:

Reporter #1: So, did you enjoy the week off?

Cutler: Yeah, it's nice to kick back and watch the games.

Reporter #2: Wait. Last week, you said you never watch the games.

Cutler is the kind of guy you just want to pick up and throw into a swimming pool, which is exactly what Peyton Manning and two linemen did one year at the Pro Bowl.

"He's an arrogant little punk," former Broncos radio color man, Scott Hastings, once said on a national show. "He's a little %++!@."

Harsh? Yes. Heard before? Yes.

"I used to hear this kind of stuff a lot," says Marty Garafalo, a freelance publicist who handled Cutler in Denver. "Elway was always trying to give you the time of day, and Jay was always seeing which door he could get out of quicker. It was a maturity thing."

Cutler's teammates will defend him, when asked. "It's funny to me how people form an opinion of a guy who've never even met him," says Bears tight end Greg Olsen, a close friend.

So what's the truth?

"He is what he is," Olsen says.

Not exactly something for your tombstone.

What he is is an RPG-armed, 27-year-old Vanderbilt product who dates a reality TV star named Kristin Cavallari, battles Type 1 diabetes every day, and doesn't care who understands him and who doesn't. He's a giving person who does things behind the scenes and hates it when he gets found out. A few days before Christmas, he and Cavallari brought presents for an entire ward of sick hospital kids. A reporter for the Sun-Times got wind of it and asked him about it. Cutler refused to discuss it.

He's a battler who's done amazingly well considering the swinging saloon-door offensive line he has to play behind. The man has been sacked more times this season (52) than in his three seasons in Denver combined (51). Yet he never complains.

"He's as sharp an individual as I've ever been around," says Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

So why is Cutler as popular as gout?

[h4] [/h4]

Is it because he never makes eye contact?

Is it his seeming inability to answer a question without using "y'know"? (He once used it 57 times in a five-minute interview with the NFL Network.)

Is it his penchant for making things difficult?

Reporter (after a game): What happened on that first interception, Jay?

Cutler: I threw the ball.

Reporter: Right, but what did you see developing there? Take us through it.

Cutler (archly): It seemed like a good place to throw the ball.

Then there was this:

Cutler: Nobody.

Reporter: Nobody? You didn't look up to anybody?

If he's lying, it makes him a miscreant. If he's telling the truth, it makes him a miscreant.

"Deep, deep down, I think he's a really good guy," Waddle says.

Maybe. But why do we have to look that deep?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Honetly, after reading this, I kinda like him more.  "what happened on the INT?"  "I threw the ball" 
roll.gif

That's good stuff buyin the gifts for kids in a hospital, so it shows he is good people, the only thing that worries me is not listening to John Elway? 
ohwell.gif
  I can't imagine having that kind of guy to listen too and you just ignore him.  Maybe it's just blown out of proportion or something, but good read nonetheless. 

Yeah I read the article and it's clearly coming from the fact ricky couldn't get what he wanted from the Bears(which was a one on one interview with Cutler,which the Bears declined because they have some kind of game film prepration rule) so he went around asking Greg olson and Jay Cutler about...Jay Cutler
indifferent.gif
 it got to the point that Olson had to tell him that he's only here to answer questions about the game not Cutler, he basically was trying set one of his teammates up for this article,if he got what he wanted he would've written a different article.

what I don't get is why all of this flack about someone's personality,when he doesn't allow them to know him,the second he does they'll backstab him, these are the same people that said he wasn't a winner, and he has a winning record this season despite having a horrible oline, the same people who said him and martz would fail(tom jackson actually said he would throw 30ints), Both Mannings,Brees,and Ryan threw for more INTS than Cutler,but its not as big of a deal as when Cutler threw ints last season and this one. And these are the same people who tried to trash him when he wanted to be traded from the Broncos,when McDummy was the problem. I do think Cutler makes it easier for the media to target him,because he actually makes their jobs a little less easy, but there are worse people in the NFL who doesn't get nearly the same flack, just keeping winning Jay, thats all I care about. You can tell he's a good guy by what he does for kids,but he would rather keep it private
than make it a media thing to show how great he is. The Elway and Lynch thing I think was out of immaturity, and being a young jerk

Originally Posted by CP1708

Article from Rick Reilly

For a man from Santa Claus, Ind., Jay Cutler is one of the least jolly people you've ever met.

If he's not The Most Hated Man in the NFL, he's in the running. His expression is usually that of a man wearing sandpaper underwear. He looks everywhere but into your eyes. It's a tie as to which he enjoys more -- smirking or shrugging.

It's hard to say what interests Cutler, but it's definitely not you.

Once, in his rookie year in Denver, 45 minutes before a game, surefire Hall of Fame safety John Lynch was trying to explain something to Cutler about NFL pass coverage. Except Cutler wasn't looking at Lynch. He was texting.

"Man, I'm trying to talk to you!" Lynch protested.

Didn't help. Cutler was all thumbs, head down. Finally, Lynch slapped the phone out of Cutler's hands, smashing it to the floor.

He listened after that.

[h3][/h3]

One time, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan thought it would be helpful for Cutler and Broncos legend John Elway to have lunch. Let Cutler drink in some of Elway's experience.

The three of them sat down at a Denver steak joint. Elway, polite as ever, tried to impart some wisdom. Except Cutler wasn't looking at Elway. He wasn't looking at Shanahan, either. He was looking at the TV. The whole time. With his baseball cap on backward. All the way through dessert. Elway did not leave impressed.

So when Josh McDaniels, before he had even set his Samsonite down, started railroading Cutler out of town, almost nobody stood up for him.

Cutler was boxed up and shipped to Chicago, where, this Sunday, he will play his first playoff game of any kind since high school, this one at home against the Seattle Seahawks.

It's a huge moment for Cutler, if only because his disdain for making nice means everything rides on his wins and losses.

"In New York, they want to poke you in the eye," says former Bear and sports radio host Tom Waddle. "In L.A., they don't care about you. But in Chicago, they want to love you. They want to make a connection with you. Any kind of connection. But Jay doesn't really care."

Cutler could own Chicago if he wanted. In a city that has had as many good quarterbacks as Omaha has had good surfers, Cutler could have his name on half the billboards and all the jerseys. My God, the kid grew up a Bears fan! But he doesn't even try. He has zero endorsements and doesn't want any. If there is such a thing as a Jay Cutler Fan Club, Cutler is having a membership drive -- to drive them out.

nfl_u_jcutler2_sy_200.jpg

Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US PresswireIf you're a reporter looking for a helpful answer out of Jay Cutler, good luck.

Example from Wednesday's 15-minute news conference, the only time he speaks publicly the entire workweek:

Reporter #1: So, did you enjoy the week off?

Cutler: Yeah, it's nice to kick back and watch the games.

Reporter #2: Wait. Last week, you said you never watch the games.

Cutler is the kind of guy you just want to pick up and throw into a swimming pool, which is exactly what Peyton Manning and two linemen did one year at the Pro Bowl.

"He's an arrogant little punk," former Broncos radio color man, Scott Hastings, once said on a national show. "He's a little %++!@."

Harsh? Yes. Heard before? Yes.

"I used to hear this kind of stuff a lot," says Marty Garafalo, a freelance publicist who handled Cutler in Denver. "Elway was always trying to give you the time of day, and Jay was always seeing which door he could get out of quicker. It was a maturity thing."

Cutler's teammates will defend him, when asked. "It's funny to me how people form an opinion of a guy who've never even met him," says Bears tight end Greg Olsen, a close friend.

So what's the truth?

"He is what he is," Olsen says.

Not exactly something for your tombstone.

What he is is an RPG-armed, 27-year-old Vanderbilt product who dates a reality TV star named Kristin Cavallari, battles Type 1 diabetes every day, and doesn't care who understands him and who doesn't. He's a giving person who does things behind the scenes and hates it when he gets found out. A few days before Christmas, he and Cavallari brought presents for an entire ward of sick hospital kids. A reporter for the Sun-Times got wind of it and asked him about it. Cutler refused to discuss it.

He's a battler who's done amazingly well considering the swinging saloon-door offensive line he has to play behind. The man has been sacked more times this season (52) than in his three seasons in Denver combined (51). Yet he never complains.

"He's as sharp an individual as I've ever been around," says Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

So why is Cutler as popular as gout?

[h4] [/h4]

Is it because he never makes eye contact?

Is it his seeming inability to answer a question without using "y'know"? (He once used it 57 times in a five-minute interview with the NFL Network.)

Is it his penchant for making things difficult?

Reporter (after a game): What happened on that first interception, Jay?

Cutler: I threw the ball.

Reporter: Right, but what did you see developing there? Take us through it.

Cutler (archly): It seemed like a good place to throw the ball.

Then there was this:

Cutler: Nobody.

Reporter: Nobody? You didn't look up to anybody?

If he's lying, it makes him a miscreant. If he's telling the truth, it makes him a miscreant.

"Deep, deep down, I think he's a really good guy," Waddle says.

Maybe. But why do we have to look that deep?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Honetly, after reading this, I kinda like him more.  "what happened on the INT?"  "I threw the ball" 
roll.gif

That's good stuff buyin the gifts for kids in a hospital, so it shows he is good people, the only thing that worries me is not listening to John Elway? 
ohwell.gif
  I can't imagine having that kind of guy to listen too and you just ignore him.  Maybe it's just blown out of proportion or something, but good read nonetheless. 

Yeah I read the article and it's clearly coming from the fact ricky couldn't get what he wanted from the Bears(which was a one on one interview with Cutler,which the Bears declined because they have some kind of game film prepration rule) so he went around asking Greg olson and Jay Cutler about...Jay Cutler
indifferent.gif
 it got to the point that Olson had to tell him that he's only here to answer questions about the game not Cutler, he basically was trying set one of his teammates up for this article,if he got what he wanted he would've written a different article.

what I don't get is why all of this flack about someone's personality,when he doesn't allow them to know him,the second he does they'll backstab him, these are the same people that said he wasn't a winner, and he has a winning record this season despite having a horrible oline, the same people who said him and martz would fail(tom jackson actually said he would throw 30ints), Both Mannings,Brees,and Ryan threw for more INTS than Cutler,but its not as big of a deal as when Cutler threw ints last season and this one. And these are the same people who tried to trash him when he wanted to be traded from the Broncos,when McDummy was the problem. I do think Cutler makes it easier for the media to target him,because he actually makes their jobs a little less easy, but there are worse people in the NFL who doesn't get nearly the same flack, just keeping winning Jay, thats all I care about. You can tell he's a good guy by what he does for kids,but he would rather keep it private
than make it a media thing to show how great he is. The Elway and Lynch thing I think was out of immaturity, and being a young jerk

[h1]Who's the jerk?[/h1]
Posted by Bob LeGere on Fri, 01/14/2011 - 03:46

According to ESPN.com’s Rick Reilly, quarterback Jay Cutler is some kind of creep because he didn’t idolize any NFL quarterbacks as a kid.

Maybe he had other, more worthy role models like his parents or a teacher.

Reilly rips Cutler because he doesn’t have any endorsements and doesn’t want any. Brilliant. Better he should be a money-grubbing shill, willing to endorse anything for a buck. What kind of a jerk focuses on doing his job at the expense of making easy money? How dare he?

And, according to Reilly, Cutler is misguided because he refuses to publicize his hospital visits to children, especially those who battle Type I diabetes just as he does. Apparently, in Reilly’s world, it’s nobler to draw attention to yourself for doing good deeds, rather than just doing them and not expecting anything in return.

Better Cutler should be like former Bear Ted Washington, a fat, mean-spirited, miserable excuse for a human being, who did the occasional United Way commercial but was a flaming heap of garbage the other 99 percent of the time.

Maybe Reilly was just salty because, after he had invested three hours of his time at Halas Hall, Cutler declined to bare his soul, get in touch with his inner child or explain in detail what it is that makes him tick.

Imagine the gall of Cutler not to genuflect and share with Reilly his innermost thoughts the moment he saw him. What was Cutler thinking? How could he be so arrogant? I mean, this was THE Rick Reilly. How could he dare not answer HIS questions.

Guy walks in off the street and wants to know how many people in the pressroom really know Cutler. Really? How well does anyone in the media or any fan know any of the Bears?

Does Cutler come off as arrogant and disinterested during press conferences? Absolutely. Does he have any use for the media? Doubtful. Does he fail to look people in the eyes when he’s talking? Sometimes, maybe a lot of the time, but he’s getting better.

Does he limit his accessibility to once a week and after the game? Yup. But he’s not uncooperative. For the record, I’ve gotten a decent answer to every decent question I’ve ever asked Cutler.

But then again, I wasn’t trying to psychoanalyze him, and I didn’t have an agenda.

There is an arrogant horse’s rear end in this story, but it isn’t the Bears’ quarterback.

[h1]Who's the jerk?[/h1]
Posted by Bob LeGere on Fri, 01/14/2011 - 03:46

According to ESPN.com’s Rick Reilly, quarterback Jay Cutler is some kind of creep because he didn’t idolize any NFL quarterbacks as a kid.

Maybe he had other, more worthy role models like his parents or a teacher.

Reilly rips Cutler because he doesn’t have any endorsements and doesn’t want any. Brilliant. Better he should be a money-grubbing shill, willing to endorse anything for a buck. What kind of a jerk focuses on doing his job at the expense of making easy money? How dare he?

And, according to Reilly, Cutler is misguided because he refuses to publicize his hospital visits to children, especially those who battle Type I diabetes just as he does. Apparently, in Reilly’s world, it’s nobler to draw attention to yourself for doing good deeds, rather than just doing them and not expecting anything in return.

Better Cutler should be like former Bear Ted Washington, a fat, mean-spirited, miserable excuse for a human being, who did the occasional United Way commercial but was a flaming heap of garbage the other 99 percent of the time.

Maybe Reilly was just salty because, after he had invested three hours of his time at Halas Hall, Cutler declined to bare his soul, get in touch with his inner child or explain in detail what it is that makes him tick.

Imagine the gall of Cutler not to genuflect and share with Reilly his innermost thoughts the moment he saw him. What was Cutler thinking? How could he be so arrogant? I mean, this was THE Rick Reilly. How could he dare not answer HIS questions.

Guy walks in off the street and wants to know how many people in the pressroom really know Cutler. Really? How well does anyone in the media or any fan know any of the Bears?

Does Cutler come off as arrogant and disinterested during press conferences? Absolutely. Does he have any use for the media? Doubtful. Does he fail to look people in the eyes when he’s talking? Sometimes, maybe a lot of the time, but he’s getting better.

Does he limit his accessibility to once a week and after the game? Yup. But he’s not uncooperative. For the record, I’ve gotten a decent answer to every decent question I’ve ever asked Cutler.

But then again, I wasn’t trying to psychoanalyze him, and I didn’t have an agenda.

There is an arrogant horse’s rear end in this story, but it isn’t the Bears’ quarterback.

[h1]Life of Reilly[/h1][h2]Jay Cutler didn't plan on being a role model. Now he has no choice.[/h2]
by Rick Reilly​
lifeofreilly.jpg

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

Is your 401(k) suddenly a 201(k)? Did the election turn your yard full of signs into a political graveyard? Need something to feel happy about in life?

Take a look at Jay Cutler's BlackBerry. The Broncos quarterback will let you if you ask. His PR guy sends him e-mails, dozens a week, like this one:

Dear Sir:
We believe Jay saved our son. Sam is a high school freshman who plays football. He'd lost a lot of weight, but we did not know if it was from the intense summer workouts or not. He was drinking a great deal of water, eating a lot and still losing weight (25 pounds). We read an article about Jay and made the appointment. Sam was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and sent to the hospital. He hopes to be back at practice soon. We just want Jay to know the great impact he's had on our lives.

"PARENTS PANIC. YOU CAN DIE FROM THIS."

Which is crazy, because when Cutler first hit the NFL, he seemed like the last guy to help anybody.

Shy and mop-haired, he led the league in shrugs. He looked like he had terminal influenza. The bags under his eyes had bags. And yet he'd sleep 10 hours at night and three more after practice. He lost 35 pounds in the 2007 season alone. He couldn't concentrate. He was starting to look like the biggest bust since Lindsay Lohan. And that's when he found out he had diabetes. Or rather, it had him.

"At first I thought, I can beat this," he says. "But after two weeks, I was like, Why me? Why do I have to poke myself 20 times a day? You feel sorry for yourself. Then I came to grips with it. I realized it wasn't going away. And I realized I wasn't the only one."

Hi Jay,
My son Chase, 11, was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He is being so brave. He has given himself every shot! One of the first questions he asked: "Can I still play football?" Someone told him about your condition, and you could see the wheels turning! I know it sucks, but thank you for giving my son a mentor.

Cutler is lucky. "I got it when I was 24. I'm an adult. I can handle things. But if you're 4 or 5, it's gotta feel like the worst thing in the world. Parents panic at first. They know you can possibly die from this."

When Jay's diabetes was diagnosed, his blood glucose levels were between 300 and 400. Normal levels after eating are around 140 to 160. Had he not treated it, Cutler could've slipped into a diabetic coma.

That panicked another parent—Cutler's mom, Sandy. She wanted to move in and help him. Cutler refused. He wanted to do it all himself.

[h4]Life of Reilly Bonus Content[/h4][table][tr][/tr][/table]

He was awful at it. "The first week, my left hand was trashed with finger-prick test marks. You're paranoid, but you figure it out."

Dear Jay Cutler,
You signed an autograph for my 10-year-old grandson. I did not have a chance to tell you how much you mean to diabetic kids like him who really need role models. Some of these kids worry about whether they will be able to lead a "normal" life when they get older. They wonder about pretty heavy things like being able to go to college, to have a career and a family. You convince these kids that by managing their disease, they are capable of being anything they want to be.

What Cutler wants to be is a normal QB, but he never will be. From now on, he'll have more holes than a Jessica Simpson movie.

Gamedays, he gets so geeked to play that his adrenaline drives his blood glucose levels up, so he has to check himself after every first-quarter possession. He can do it in under 30 seconds. If he's low, he drinks orange juice or eats chocolate. If he's high, he injects himself in the stomach with insulin. All while coaches yell stuff at him. You think Eli Manning has to mess with this stuff?

"I'm amazed by him," says Broncos trainer Steve Antonopulos. "He's taken control of this. People come to him with questions."

Dear Sir,
If you saw the look on my 6-year-old's face watching you discuss diabetes on TV, you would have shed a tear. I have now been summoned to buy a Broncos jersey. We are the biggest Jets fans possible. But my son saw a glimmer of hope with Jay, so how can I resist?

Who'd have thought the mope would become the hope?

agenda much? hmmmmm

[h1]Life of Reilly[/h1][h2]Jay Cutler didn't plan on being a role model. Now he has no choice.[/h2]
by Rick Reilly​
lifeofreilly.jpg

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

Is your 401(k) suddenly a 201(k)? Did the election turn your yard full of signs into a political graveyard? Need something to feel happy about in life?

Take a look at Jay Cutler's BlackBerry. The Broncos quarterback will let you if you ask. His PR guy sends him e-mails, dozens a week, like this one:

Dear Sir:
We believe Jay saved our son. Sam is a high school freshman who plays football. He'd lost a lot of weight, but we did not know if it was from the intense summer workouts or not. He was drinking a great deal of water, eating a lot and still losing weight (25 pounds). We read an article about Jay and made the appointment. Sam was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and sent to the hospital. He hopes to be back at practice soon. We just want Jay to know the great impact he's had on our lives.

"PARENTS PANIC. YOU CAN DIE FROM THIS."

Which is crazy, because when Cutler first hit the NFL, he seemed like the last guy to help anybody.

Shy and mop-haired, he led the league in shrugs. He looked like he had terminal influenza. The bags under his eyes had bags. And yet he'd sleep 10 hours at night and three more after practice. He lost 35 pounds in the 2007 season alone. He couldn't concentrate. He was starting to look like the biggest bust since Lindsay Lohan. And that's when he found out he had diabetes. Or rather, it had him.

"At first I thought, I can beat this," he says. "But after two weeks, I was like, Why me? Why do I have to poke myself 20 times a day? You feel sorry for yourself. Then I came to grips with it. I realized it wasn't going away. And I realized I wasn't the only one."

Hi Jay,
My son Chase, 11, was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He is being so brave. He has given himself every shot! One of the first questions he asked: "Can I still play football?" Someone told him about your condition, and you could see the wheels turning! I know it sucks, but thank you for giving my son a mentor.

Cutler is lucky. "I got it when I was 24. I'm an adult. I can handle things. But if you're 4 or 5, it's gotta feel like the worst thing in the world. Parents panic at first. They know you can possibly die from this."

When Jay's diabetes was diagnosed, his blood glucose levels were between 300 and 400. Normal levels after eating are around 140 to 160. Had he not treated it, Cutler could've slipped into a diabetic coma.

That panicked another parent—Cutler's mom, Sandy. She wanted to move in and help him. Cutler refused. He wanted to do it all himself.

[h4]Life of Reilly Bonus Content[/h4][table][tr][/tr][/table]

He was awful at it. "The first week, my left hand was trashed with finger-prick test marks. You're paranoid, but you figure it out."

Dear Jay Cutler,
You signed an autograph for my 10-year-old grandson. I did not have a chance to tell you how much you mean to diabetic kids like him who really need role models. Some of these kids worry about whether they will be able to lead a "normal" life when they get older. They wonder about pretty heavy things like being able to go to college, to have a career and a family. You convince these kids that by managing their disease, they are capable of being anything they want to be.

What Cutler wants to be is a normal QB, but he never will be. From now on, he'll have more holes than a Jessica Simpson movie.

Gamedays, he gets so geeked to play that his adrenaline drives his blood glucose levels up, so he has to check himself after every first-quarter possession. He can do it in under 30 seconds. If he's low, he drinks orange juice or eats chocolate. If he's high, he injects himself in the stomach with insulin. All while coaches yell stuff at him. You think Eli Manning has to mess with this stuff?

"I'm amazed by him," says Broncos trainer Steve Antonopulos. "He's taken control of this. People come to him with questions."

Dear Sir,
If you saw the look on my 6-year-old's face watching you discuss diabetes on TV, you would have shed a tear. I have now been summoned to buy a Broncos jersey. We are the biggest Jets fans possible. But my son saw a glimmer of hope with Jay, so how can I resist?

Who'd have thought the mope would become the hope?

agenda much? hmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom