NFL :ESPN's Top 25 players this decade

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Ranking the 25 best NFL players of the decade seemed easy.

AFC West blogger Bill Williamson sent an initial list to me for review. The list appeared strong. I suggested a couple minor tweaks.
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
The hard part came when we considered those who fell just short of the list.

Guard Alan Faneca has gone to eight Pro Bowls this decade. John Lynch and Will Shields went to seven. Brian Dawkins, La'Roi Glover, Kevin Mawae, Olin Kreutz, Matt Birk, Larry Allen, Chris Samuels and Zach Thomas went to six. Ronde Barber, Keith Brooking, Al Wilson, Julian Peterson, Donovan McNabb, Antonio Gates, Jason Witten and Chad Ochocinco were among those with five.

None of them made the top 25 list. Had all of them made it, only six spots would have remained for the 25 players you see in the chart.

We settled on five quarterbacks, four receivers, four offensive linemen, three linebackers, three defensive ends, two running backs, two safeties, one cornerback, one tight end and zero defensive tackles (few dominated consistently for extended periods).

Seven of 10 league MVPs this decade made the top 25. Marshall Faulk, Rich Gannon and 2003 co-MVP Steve McNair were the exceptions.

Ben Roethlisberger made the list despite only one career Pro Bowl appearance. It's not his fault Manning and Brady play in the same conference.

[table][tr][td]ESPN.com's Top 25 Players of the Decade[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rk[/td] [td]Player[/td] [td]Pos.[/td] [td]Team[/td] [td]Pro Bowls This Decade[/td] [td]Analysis[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]
2330.jpg

Tom Brady
[/td] [td]QB[/td] [td]NE[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]The NFL's Horatio Alger hero in cleats was drafted in the sixth round and became one of the greatest quarterbacks of a generation. The four-time Pro Bowler played in four Super Bowls this decade, winning three and being named MVP of two. (TG)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]
1428.jpg

Peyton Manning
[/td] [td]QB[/td] [td]IND[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]The three-time MVP made eight Pro Bowls, was first-team All-Pro four times and won a Super Bowl this decade. Widely regarded as the league's most irreplaceable player. (PK)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]
2553.jpg

LaDainian Tomlinson
[/td] [td]RB[/td] [td]SD[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]Without a doubt, Tomlinson is the best non-quarterback to play in this decade. He has gained at least 1,000 yards in each of his eight NFL seasons. One of the most consistent running backs ever to play. (BW)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]
1230.jpg

Walter Jones
[/td] [td]T[/td] [td]SEA[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]Mike Holmgren called Jones the best offensive player he ever coached. That's saying something. (MS)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]
1245.jpg

Jason Taylor
[/td] [td]DE[/td] [td]MIA[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]Few defenders can match Taylor's résumé. The NFL's active career sacks leader was chosen for six Pro Bowls this decade. Taylor was named the league's defensive player of the year in 2006 and the Walter Payton Man of the Year in 2007 for his community service. (TG)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]
1758.jpg

Champ Bailey
[/td] [td]CB[/td] [td]DEN[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]The gold standard of cornerbacks this decade. Bailey is a complete player who shut down the left side of the field nearly all decade. (BW)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]
939.jpg

Marvin Harrison
[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]IND[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]Seven straight Pro Bowls, two first-team All-Pro selections and a Super Bowl win this decade. His 143 receptions in 2002 stand as the single-season record and he's got a 20-catch cushion on the next closest player. (PK)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]
495.jpg

Michael Strahan
[/td] [td]DE[/td] [td]NYG[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]One of the most prolific pass-rushers in history of the league. He was relentless and he helped lead the way to a world title in 2007. (MM)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [td]
964.jpg

Ray Lewis
[/td] [td]LB[/td] [td]BAL[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]Lewis is the top-rated linebacker of this decade with a Super Bowl victory and seven Pro Bowls since 2000. But No. 9 still seems a little low for the future Hall of Famer and one of the most dominant defenders ever to play the game. (JW)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]
1231.jpg

Tony Gonzalez
[/td] [td]TE[/td] [td]ATL[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]The best receiving tight end ever to play in the NFL. If you don't think so, look at the top of every important receiving record for NFL tight ends. You'll see Gonzalez's name on every list. (BW)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]
962.jpg

Jonathan Ogden
[/td] [td]T[/td] [td]BAL[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]As the most consistent player on Baltimore's usually inconsistent offense, Ogden will probably never get as much credit as he deserved. But his football journey will land him in Canton soon. (JW)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]
3552.jpg

Ed Reed
[/td] [td]S[/td] [td]BAL[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]In a decade when mostly hard-hitting safeties ruled the NFL, Reed brought "ball-hawking" back to the position. His hands, anticipation and knack for the spectacular play are as good as any safety in NFL history. (JW)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]
1757.jpg

Torry Holt
[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]JAC[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]Seven Pro Bowls, one first-team All-Pro selection, two Super Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl win this decade with the St. Louis Rams. A major component of an out-of-nowhere team that became "The Greatest Show on Turf." (PK)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td]
1433.jpg

Randy Moss
[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]NE[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]He was edged out by Torry Holt for the all-decade team, but Moss is one of the league's all-time greats. He has gone to four Pro Bowls this decade, averaging 77 catches for 1,164 yards and 12 touchdowns. (TG)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [td]
757.jpg

Derrick Brooks
[/td] [td]LB[/td] [td]TB[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]Best player in Tampa Bay's history. Most important building block in Bucs going from laughingstock to Super Bowl champions. Brooks was a leader on the field and in the community. (PY)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [td]
1232.jpg

Orlando Pace
[/td] [td]T[/td] [td]CHI[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]At the height of his career, Pace was the most dominant left tackle in the game. No one could get around him as the St. Louis Rams set a series of offensive records. Injuries have slowed him down recently, but he hopes to finish his career strongly in Chicago. (KS)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [td]
1682.jpg

Kurt Warner
[/td] [td]QB[/td] [td]ARI[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]Took two franchises to the Super Bowl this decade and had three total appearances (one following the 1999 season). Still going strong. (MS)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [td]
2150.jpg

Shaun Alexander
[/td] [td]RB[/td] [td]SEA[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]The only player in NFL history to score 15 touchdowns in five consecutive seasons. Averaged 1,501 yards rushing and 17.4 rushing touchdowns per season over a five-year period. (MS)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [td]
4474.jpg

Troy Polamalu
[/td] [td]S[/td] [td]PIT[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]Polamalu is just approaching his prime, but already has two Super Bowl wins and five Pro Bowls in six seasons. He has the potential to make the next decade's list as well. (JW)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [td]
2554.jpg

Richard Seymour
[/td] [td]DE[/td] [td]NE[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]The Patriots defensive end has been All-Pro three times and a Pro Bowler five times. He's strong against the run and can create havoc in the pocket, collecting 39 sacks in eight seasons. (TG)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [td]
5536.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger
[/td] [td]QB[/td] [td]PIT[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]"Big Ben" joins Tom Brady as the only quarterbacks to win multiple Super Bowls in this decade. Despite joining the NFL in 2004, that was enough for Roethlisberger to make the cut. (JW)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td]
2565.jpg

Steve Hutchinson
[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]MIN[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]Considered the best guard in the game since shortly after Seattle drafted him in 2001. Has helped Minnesota rank in the NFL's top five in rushing twice in three seasons with the Vikings. (KS)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]23[/td] [td]
112.jpg

Brett Favre
[/td] [td]QB[/td] [td]--[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]Finished last season atop the NFL's list for all-time passing yardage and touchdowns. (Interceptions, too.) Named to his 10th Pro Bowl at age 39. (KS)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24[/td] [td]
1056.jpg

Terrell Owens
[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]BUF[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]He has put up Hall of Fame-worthy numbers and he continues to be a dangerous receiver into his mid-30s. (MM)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25[/td] [td]
2140.jpg

Brian Urlacher
[/td] [td]LB[/td] [td]CHI[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]The NFL's best defensive rookie in 2000, the best defensive player in 2005 and the captain of a team that went to the Super Bowl in 2006. A quasi-defensive back in college, Urlacher is a perfect fit for the Tampa 2 scheme that requires the middle linebacker to cover the deep third of the field. (KS)[/td] [/tr][/table]

Thoughts?

I strongly disagree with Holt being ranked higher than Moss even though its merley just one spot. Hell, if it wasnt for the years in Oakland I'd maybe puthim in the top 5, but most definetley higher then Harrison.

[table][tr][td]18[/td] [td]
2150.jpg

Shaun Alexander
[/td] [td]RB[/td] [td]SEA[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]The only player in NFL history to score 15 touchdowns in five consecutive seasons. Averaged 1,501 yards rushing and 17.4 rushing touchdowns per season over a five-year period. (MS)[/td] [/tr][/table]

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This giant pile of worthless %%+# can thank Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson for the career he had. Once Steve left, we saw the true Shaun Alexander... thetripping over his own feet, fumbling, running to the sidelines to grab his jacket, 3.1 YPC self.

Couple initial thoughts:
- Shaun Alexander does not belong on that list. He was an above-average RB who benefited tremendously running behind Jones/Hutchinson.

- Is LT a little high or in the right place?

- Am I the only one who doesn't take much issue with Holt being one spot ahead of Randy Moss? You guys act like it's not even close when comparing thetwo...

- Maybe it's personal dislike for the guy, but is there a legit argument for Brett Favre NOT belonging on this top 25 list for the decade??

- I wanted to include Marshall Faulk easily but remembered the bulk of his work was prior to the 2000 season and this list specifically reflects a time periodshortly after that.

- By the way, I like Faneca over Seymour. Bigger overall impact IMO.

- Wait...why is Troy Polamalu so overrated
grin.gif
First the current top 5safeties list now this which is even worse. Give me Dawkins, Lynch (I'll admit debatable), or Ronde over Polamalu.

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

This list lost all credibility when they listed Shaun Alexander ...
laugh.gif

No BS!
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

If there was ever an example of a Offensive line making a rb's career he's it.

Originally Posted by jose cansec0

HOW THE HELL DO THEY PUT HOLT OVER MOSS?
hes got a ring, another superbowl appearance and more pro bowls this decade. although id still have moss higher than holt on my list

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

- Wait...why is Troy Polamalu so overrated
grin.gif
First the current top 5 safeties list now this which is even worse. Give me Dawkins, Lynch (I'll admit debatable), or Ronde over Polamalu.
2be256845b7ee6c4b3cf8eaa5616abf0aa6c43f.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Shaun Alexander at 18 and Steve Hutchinson at 22.

Okay.

Word. Hutch was half the reason (other half being Jones) that Alexander even had the years he did.

HOW THE HELL DO THEY PUT HOLT OVER MOSS?

Don't understand that either. These lists are usually out of whack anyway...Sometimes you have to wonder who exactly it is they got making these rankings.Then again I'm sure if I put my own rankings up there people would have a problem with something. It is what it is I guess.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

[table][tr][td]18[/td] [td]
2150.jpg

Shaun Alexander
[/td] [td]RB[/td] [td]SEA[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]The only player in NFL history to score 15 touchdowns in five consecutive seasons. Averaged 1,501 yards rushing and 17.4 rushing touchdowns per season over a five-year period. (MS)[/td] [/tr][/table]

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This giant pile of worthless %%+# can thank Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson for the career he had. Once Steve left, we saw the true Shaun Alexander... the tripping over his own feet, fumbling, running to the sidelines to grab his jacket, 3.1 YPC self.
eek.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
roll.gif

Getting tired of telling kids on NT to make a damn argument. This is directed at you, First Born.

I'd luv to hear your reasoning as to why Polamalu belongs over the players I mentioned: Ronde, Lynch, and Dawkins. Go ahead, dude. Let's see what yougot...

Chester forgot to mention the part where you can buy Shaun Alexadr jersey's for $4.49 in local stores here in Portland.
roll.gif

Plain white tee shirt = 5 dollars
Shaun Alexander jersey = 4.49

= I'd shoot myself if I were Shaun.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

NO VICK!?!?!

Can you even make a legitimate argument for him though? I mean after his phenomenal run in the playoffs in what....05? And probably his win @ Lambeau...Therereally isn't much there for you to say he was top 25. You can't really say he was anything more than a flash in the pan QB at this point. Word toWillie Beamen.

Back
Top Bottom