NFL :ESPN's Top 25 players this decade

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

NO VICK!?!?!

Can you even make a legitimate argument for him though? I mean after his phenomenal run in the playoffs in what....05? And probably his win @ Lambeau...There really isn't much there for you to say he was top 25. You can't really say he was anything more than a flash in the pan QB at this point. Word to Willie Beamen.
word. athlete v football player. what has vick done as a football player and quarterback to be on that list? and i'm not saying he isn't agreat football player, but top 25 status? look at the other qb's and players on that list. that's all. accomplishments, character (on field, not off),etc...

NO VICK!?!?!

Can you even make a legitimate argument for him though? I mean after his phenomenal run in the playoffs in what....05? And probably his win @ Lambeau...There really isn't much there for you to say he was top 25. You can't really say he was anything more than a flash in the pan QB at this point. Word to Willie Beamen.

First player to lead a team to a playoff win @ lambeau in 02
9-6-1 in first year as full starter amassing nearly 3,000 yards passing while going for 707 rushing yards. Including winning his first playoff game.
Lead the Falcons to the NFC championship game (only the 2nd in franchise history) in 04 *one year removed from a broken fibula
Rushed for more than 1,000 yards as a QB while throwing for 20 TDs

I can go on...

Vick deserves to be on that list more than Shaun Alexander does

that i'll def. give you...but that's also not saying much since shaun has NO business on that list...what happened to dude, seriously
laugh.gif

NO VICK!?!?!

9-6-1 in first year as full starter amassing nearly 3,000 yards passing while going for 707 rushing yards. Including winning his first playoff game.
Lead the Falcons to the NFC championship game (only the 2nd in franchise history) in 04 *one year removed from a broken fibula

I can go on...

Weak argument at best. Why?

- Although he lead them to a win at Lambeau, the Packers ended up losing two more times at Lambeau during the playoffs. That's 3 of the last 5, so it'sless impressive to me.
- Look up the records of Big Ben and Brady as their first full years starting...Trumps the crap out of 9-6-1.
- Just because he led the Falcons to their 2nd NFC Championship game doesn't qualify you for this list. Look at the other QB's...They won SB's, letalone just getting there...Vick didn't.
- He definitely is the best running QB ever, but what does that have to do with anything? Meaning where exactly did that get him. They still didn't win theSB.

Edit - Actually Brady only went 9-7 his first full year...It's Brady though..He had already won a SB.

NO VICK!?!?!

I can go on...
No you can't. That sorry list you listed is all you got, and it sucks.

Might as well try nad make a case for Matt Ryan on the all decade team, it's a stronger argument.

laugh.gif
Vick.

I suppose we should just put up all players who had a decent run.

You know dude was not going to be anywhere near this list. Especially playing 6 seasons and only 74 regular season games.

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Getting tired of telling kids on NT to make a damn argument. This is directed at you, First Born.

I'd luv to hear your reasoning as to why Polamalu belongs over the players I mentioned: Ronde, Lynch, and Dawkins. Go ahead, dude. Let's see what you got...

Kids? Gtfohwtbs, I am probably older than you
eyes.gif
. I don't need to givea reason as to why I think he's better than the players you listed. By you listing Ronde over Troy exemplifies you don't know what the hell you'retalking about. Lynch & Dawkins, really? Troy out tackled and had more picks in a 5 year span than Dawkins had in the entire decade. The same can be saidabout Lynch. Let us not forget either that Troy has played a significant role in the Steelers wining their last 2 Superbowls, while Ronde was a secondary piecewhen Tampa Bay's LB core was the heart and soul of their D when they won the Super Bowl. Lynch and Dawkins are great players, don't get me wrong, but Iam taking Polamalu over anyone you mentioned because he is younger and he is better.

i knew Chester would go in on Shaun Alexander
roll.gif

he is so out of place on that list it's not even funny.

and Ray Lewis only at #9? is this some kind of joke?

Tom Brady gets a little too much love..You can plug in tons of Qb's in that system and get the same results..Nobody ever gives credit to him having one ofthe best defenses everytime he steps out of the locker room..The one year he had his best year ever they end up losing the SB to a DEFENSIVE team..Every SB winhe had was probably won by less than a TD..He's a glorified game manager..Never is asked to force anything..just plays field position..and the O line issick

Originally Posted by JordanNB23

Tom Brady gets a little too much love..You can plug in tons of Qb's in that system and get the same results..Nobody ever gives credit to him having one of the best defenses everytime he steps out of the locker room..The one year he had his best year ever they end up losing the SB to a DEFENSIVE team..Every SB win he had was probably won by less than a TD..He's a glorified game manager..Never is asked to force anything..just plays field position..and the O line is sick
Another nt member who doesn't know jack about football, you guys grow on trees here
tired.gif

Tom Brady gets a little too much love..You can plug in tons of Qb's in that system and get the same results..Nobody ever gives credit to him having one of the best defenses everytime he steps out of the locker room..The one year he had his best year ever they end up losing the SB to a DEFENSIVE team..Every SB win he had was probably won by less than a TD..He's a glorified game manager..Never is asked to force anything..just plays field position..and the O line is sick
Honest question here...... W T F ?????

Dude, you serious or did someone hack your @#$%?

smh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Honest question here...... W T F ?????

Dude, you serious or did someone hack your @#$%?

smh.gif
just like drew bledsoe won superbowls in "that system"...right? right?

tom brady a system QB...i love it
laugh.gif

people throw this phrase around and have no idea what it means...

laugh.gif
still laughin at tons of QB's.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Dude won 3 superbowls with Troy Brown as his best WR, and Antwan Smith as a leading runner for a couple of em.

Game manager, more like miracle worker.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
@ a ton of QBs

to add to that, then you would HAVE to assume peyton manning is a system QB. plethora (good word) of WRs...big stats...heavy passing offense. couldnt win thebig one until he got that stellar defense. now that's a system QB according to your definition, which is backward as all hell to begin with, butwhatever...

eyes.gif
. I don't need to give a reason as to why I think he's better than the players you listed. By you listing Ronde over Troy exemplifies you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Lynch & Dawkins, really? Troy out tackled and had more picks in a 5 year span than Dawkins had in the entire decade. The same can be said about Lynch. Let us not forget either that Troy has played a significant role in the Steelers wining their last 2 Superbowls, while Ronde was a secondary piece when Tampa Bay's LB core was the heart and soul of their D when they won the Super Bowl. Lynch and Dawkins are great players, don't get me wrong, but I am taking Polamalu over anyone you mentioned because he is younger and he is better.
See you took that quite literally
laugh.gif
"Kids,"people, take your pick.

You don't need to give reasoning?? Really...as this debate develops I can personally guarantee you that numerous people on this board consider Polamaluoverrated and maybe even undeserving of being on this list. Moreover, "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about?" This amuses meconsidering I'm positive my football knowledge trumps yours by a landslide
wink.gif
But back to the argument at hand...

Exhibit A: You discredit Ronde's contribution to Tampa's SB victory which makes you a hypocrite. Why? Because Troy Polamalu quite possibly more thananyone else benefits from the great defensive system he plays in (Pittsburgh and LeBeau) as well as the strong supporting cast he's had from day one(Hampton, Farrior, Harrison, Woodley, etc.). If Ronde benefits from the Tampa-2, then Polamalu is largely a product of LeBeau's scheme and the playersaround him that allow Troy the opportunities to make the plays that inflate his stats, which you were so kind to point out.

And Ronde was playing just as well without Warren Sapp and an aging Derrick Brooks...so much for that argument. He's notorious for being one of the bestplaymakers in the league regardless of who he plays with. Can't say the same for Troy.

Exhibit B: You mention those statistics as if that defines the Polamalu/Dawkins comparison all together, which you will learnit doesn't. Quite convenient on your end may I add. But let me humor you and make the actual comparison:
Polamalu - 88 games played, 327 tackles, 7 FF, 3 FR, 17 INT, 5 Pro Bowls, and twice was All-Pro first team
Dawkins (2000-on) - 124 games played, 506 tackles, 25 FF, 11 FR, 22 INT, 6 Pro Bowls, and was All-Pro first team FOURtimes

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Troy actually DID NOT "out-tackle" Dawkins in that span. Nor did he havemore INT in a five year span than Dawkins in the entire decade as you so eloquently put. So where did you get that from?

So in conclusion: Dawkins has more tackles, FF, FR, INT, Pro Bowls, and All-Pro first teams...um that's every relevantcategory. Also curious as to why you left out FF, FR, Pro Bowls, and All-Pro first teams to begin with. You wanted to play the stats game and not only did youprovide inaccurate information, but you were proven wrong at your own game - the very basis of your argument and defense for Troy Polamalu.

For some reason you completely disgregard the category of impact on the game of football. Brian Dawkins and John Lynch are both known as big hitters who havebeen excellent leaders throughout their long NFL careers. Their impact game-to-game should be counted just as much as any stats. Dawkins and Lynch wereintimidating and feared by receivers going over the middle of the field. Furthermore, their reputations on the field as hitters/leaders changed the course ofgames for their teams any way you look at it. Now let me ask you: is Troy the leader of that Pittsburgh defense? No. What's his reputation as a defensivefootball player? Not really known as a hitter with those whopping shoe-string tackles. Playmaker is very arguable but go ahead and make that argument if youcan. Do opposing teams fear Polamalu's presence or alter their gameplans as a result?? Didn't think so.

"The same can be said about Lynch." I see you have little to say or argue about John Lynch in comparison to Polamalu. Whether you make a claim ordefend a point, you need credible and legitimate support/evidence to strengthen your position. Assertions DOES NOT serve as evidence.

Ok, I'm not saying Troy Polamalu isn't a good player because clearly he is. However, my arugment is that he's overrated and doesn't belong onthis list. In my opinion, Dawkins and Ronde are both more deserving and if I had more time I'd argue John Lynch's case as well.

Exhibit C: Who cares if Polamalu is younger? What's the relevance in that?? This list is ESPN's opinion on the top 25 players of this decade and whatthey've accomplished TO DATE. It seems you are closing your argument by implying what Troy will do in the future, which is mere speculation and holds noweight whatsoever in this debate.

NTers time and time again baffle me with their inability to remain objective and unbiased. The minute their favorite team or player is criticized, they leap indefense with little evidence or support. So out of curiousity, what NFL team are you a fan of First Born?

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

eyes.gif
. I don't need to give a reason as to why I think he's better than the players you listed. By you listing Ronde over Troy exemplifies you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Lynch & Dawkins, really? Troy out tackled and had more picks in a 5 year span than Dawkins had in the entire decade. The same can be said about Lynch. Let us not forget either that Troy has played a significant role in the Steelers wining their last 2 Superbowls, while Ronde was a secondary piece when Tampa Bay's LB core was the heart and soul of their D when they won the Super Bowl. Lynch and Dawkins are great players, don't get me wrong, but I am taking Polamalu over anyone you mentioned because he is younger and he is better.
See you took that quite literally
laugh.gif
"Kids," people, take your pick.

You don't need to give reasoning?? Really...as this debate develops I can personally guarantee you that numerous people on this board consider Polamalu overrated and maybe even undeserving of being on this list. Moreover, "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about?" This amuses me considering I'm positive my football knowledge trumps yours by a landslide
wink.gif
But back to the argument at hand...

Exhibit A: You discredit Ronde's contribution to Tampa's SB victory which makes you a hypocrite. Why? Because Troy Polamalu quite possibly more than anyone else benefits from the great defensive system he plays in (Pittsburgh and LeBeau) as well as the strong supporting cast he's had from day one (Hampton, Farrior, Harrison, Woodley, etc.). If Ronde benefits from the Tampa-2, then Polamalu is largely a product of LeBeau's scheme and the players around him that allow Troy the opportunities to make the plays that inflate his stats, which you were so kind to point out.

And Ronde was playing just as well without Warren Sapp and an aging Derrick Brooks...so much for that argument. He's notorious for being one of the best playmakers in the league regardless of who he plays with. Can't say the same for Troy.

Exhibit B: You mention those statistics as if that defines the Polamalu/Dawkins comparison all together, which you will learn it doesn't. Quite convenient on your end may I add. But let me humor you and make the actual comparison:
Polamalu - 88 games played, 327 tackles, 7 FF, 3 FR, 17 INT, 5 Pro Bowls, and twice was All-Pro first team
Dawkins (2000-on) - 124 games played, 506 tackles, 25 FF, 11 FR, 22 INT, 6 Pro Bowls, and was All-Pro first team FOUR times

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Troy actually DID NOT "out-tackle" Dawkins in that span. Nor did he have more INT in a five year span than Dawkins in the entire decade as you so eloquently put. So where did you get that from?

So in conclusion: Dawkins has more tackles, FF, FR, INT, Pro Bowls, and All-Pro first teams...um that's every relevant category. Also curious as to why you left out FF, FR, Pro Bowls, and All-Pro first teams to begin with. You wanted to play the stats game and not only did you provide inaccurate information, but you were proven wrong at your own game - the very basis of your argument and defense for Troy Polamalu.

For some reason you completely disgregard the category of impact on the game of football. Brian Dawkins and John Lynch are both known as big hitters who have been excellent leaders throughout their long NFL careers. Their impact game-to-game should be counted just as much as any stats. Dawkins and Lynch were intimidating and feared by receivers going over the middle of the field. Furthermore, their reputations on the field as hitters/leaders changed the course of games for their teams any way you look at it. Now let me ask you: is Troy the leader of that Pittsburgh defense? No. What's his reputation as a defensive football player? Not really known as a hitter with those whopping shoe-string tackles. Playmaker is very arguable but go ahead and make that argument if you can. Do opposing teams fear Polamalu's presence or alter their gameplans as a result?? Didn't think so.

"The same can be said about Lynch." I see you have little to say or argue about John Lynch in comparison to Polamalu. Whether you make a claim or defend a point, you need credible and legitimate support/evidence to strengthen your position. Assertions DOES NOT serve as evidence.

Ok, I'm not saying Troy Polamalu isn't a good player because clearly he is. However, my arugment is that he's overrated and doesn't belong on this list. In my opinion, Dawkins and Ronde are both more deserving and if I had more time I'd argue John Lynch's case as well.

Exhibit C: Who cares if Polamalu is younger? What's the relevance in that?? This list is ESPN's opinion on the top 25 players of this decade and what they've accomplished TO DATE. It seems you are closing your argument by implying what Troy will do in the future, which is mere speculation and holds no weight whatsoever in this debate.

NTers time and time again baffle me with their inability to remain objective and unbiased. The minute their favorite team or player is criticized, they leap in defense with little evidence or support. So out of curiousity, what NFL team are you a fan of First Born?

damnnn roasted! Dawkins> Troy

Well, that settles that.
laugh.gif

Born, Steelers fans on this board will tell you that Troy is overrated as all hell. He's good at what he does, he's good on that team, but he isn'tsome be all end all safety that the media makes him out to be. He just has long hair and a longer name.

Back
Top Bottom