NFL OFF-SEASON THREAD 2022-23: FanDuel getting everybody hemmed up. ESPN went Kamikaze. We in that dead zone of the year y’all.

How much will that Lamar brick go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We play “murder ball” in Florida… (might be different term elsewhere)

We also use to do tackle in the grass, touch on the concrete. That’s why we have so many skills players and athletes.

Imagine 30-40+ kids in a big field, ball thrown up and ONE ball carrier has to avoid 30 or more kids :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Routinely juking 30 people >>>>>>

The plastic/hard shell on football helmets does more harm than good. They really should be wearing soft headwear….

My apologies if either of you have already answered this question elsewhere in the thread, but do you have any ideas for how to make the game more safe, then? This kind of stuff is happening more and more frequently, and it's also happening more and more frequently on plays that weren't really dirty, weren't really a foul or anything, just regular tackles.

Football will never be safe.

Neither will driving automobiles.

We live in a society where individuals have the agency to decide which risks in life they're willing to take on. I grew up playing tackle football and loved every second of it.

We had a lot less information back then but if you asked me knowing what I know now, would I go back and do it all over again, the answer is yes.

You ask me if I will let my future children play tackle football, the answer is no.

I don't know about other regions of the country, but in California high school programs that used to have 100+ players participating now have 30-50.

Individuals, and in the case of children their parents, are making choices based on what risks they are willing to accept. There will always be individuals willing to take on the risks in the games current format.

Someone said incidents like the Monday night's are happening more and more frequently. I haven't seen any data that suggest that's true regarding serious injuries and general, and Damar Hamlin's tragic collapse wasn't football specific at all.

The game appears far safer to me now than it did a generation ago. We should continue to explore ways of making it safer, but for collegiate and professional players, fairer compensation and health benefit practices should be of equal if not greater importance.

Would you guys be ok with touch football?

No. I’d probably lose interest

Yeah I’d probably bail. Too drastic a change where the game itself isn’t football

No to touch lol

The plastic/hard shell on football helmets does more harm than good. They really should be wearing soft headwear….

We are all complicit.

Soft.......headwear? (???)

Everything that man in Cleveland said was true. And we'll be back Saturday afternoon til Sunday night. Bets flowin, some fantasy leagues still wrappin up, jerseys and (from the baseball thread) shirzees bein worn. Preppin for the Draft, preppin for the playoffs, coaching carousel on Monday, tune in for the college game Monday night........

"We want the game safer"
"Touch football?"
"Naw, I'm out"

:lol:

We all guilty of this. I know I am. :smh: :frown:

We are all complicit.

Everything that man in Cleveland said was true. And we'll be back Saturday afternoon til Sunday night. Bets flowin, some fantasy leagues still wrappin up, jerseys and (from the baseball thread) shirzees bein worn. Preppin for the Draft, preppin for the playoffs, coaching carousel on Monday, tune in for the college game Monday night........

"We want the game safer"
"Touch football?"
"Naw, I'm out"

I like that game as is. But common sense will tell you that this hard shells and constant banging, of course it’ll cause extra collisions….

You want to laugh but look at what they wear in practice:

Might as well wear them full time during the game. Suitable for practice, suitable for game day too

0DC30CAB-6DDC-4FE5-9233-F66DCBA82011.jpeg

We are all complicit.

"We want the game safer"
"Touch football?"
"Naw, I'm out"

huggggggggeeeeeeeee gap between hiding concussions bc guys are diving headfirst into guys and touch football

Like 1000 things that you can do before they touch football

I like that game as is. But common sense will tell you that this hard shells and constant banging, of course it’ll cause extra collisions….

You want to laugh but look at what they wear in practice:

Might as well wear them full time during the game. Suitable for practice, suitable for game day too

0DC30CAB-6DDC-4FE5-9233-F66DCBA82011.jpeg

Those aren't the regular helmets underneath?

What does the soft shell do/provide?

What does the soft shell do/provide?

theyre called "guardian caps"...lessens the blow when used with the hard helmet

"Statistical analysis of the weighted results showed the helmet with the Guardian Cap on average showed a 9% reduction in force impact compared to a bare helmet. The average reduction was 5% for the ProTech. Additional testing performed this year revealed an average reduction of 10% for the Guardian Cap."

do you have any ideas for how to make the game more safe then?
Neither will driving automobiles.
Hence my asking 'more safe.'

Or does something like this happen and we go 'He knew the sport he was playing'?

We live in a society where individuals have the agency to decide which risks in life they're willing to take on. I grew up playing tackle football and loved every second of it.
That sounds an awful lot like 'He knew the sport he was playing.' Granted, that's my interpretation, not your words, but surely we can't just stop there.

"We want the game safer"
"Touch football?"
"Naw, I'm out"
I just don't see how someone can say they have genuine concern for the players' safety AND ALSO say that they want no changes in the play on the field.

I'm all ears/eyes, but I'm not hearing/seeing the explanation, by anyone.

I just don't see how someone can say they have genuine concern for the players' safety AND ALSO say that they want no changes in the play on the field.

I'm all ears/eyes, but I'm not hearing/seeing the explanation, by anyone.

there's a huge difference between turning the game into flag football and teams (the dolphins earlier this year) sending a QB back into the game after the entire country just watched him get up and the stumble back down like a drunk after hitting his head. and the uproar from that actually did drive some further scrutiny of head injuries during games, which was a positive change. it's never going to be perfectly safe. even if it's flag football...you can have concussions, broken necks, etc because people are going to be running, diving, and making contact with one another to get those flags or catch the ball

there's a huge difference between turning the game into flag football and teams (the dolphins earlier this year) sending a QB back into the game after the entire country just watched him get up and the stumble back down like a drunk after hitting his head. and the uproar from that actually did drive some further scrutiny of head injuries during games, which was a positive change. it's never going to be perfectly safe. even if it's flag football...you can have concussions, broken necks, etc
I'm talking about regular play, though. We watched the mishandling of Tua, and the answer to that is simple: Handle a clearly concussed player better moving forward.

I'm asking about improving the regular play we see, because regular football play is what happened to Hamlin Monday night.

I'm talking about regular play, though. We watched the mishandling of Tua, and the answer to that is simple: Handle a clearly concussed player better moving forward.

I'm asking about improving the regular play we see, because regular football play is what happened to Hamlin Monday night.

yeah the damar hamlin injury...we'll see what comes out of it when they release the facts (i know doctors have weighed in across the country but i don't believe the doctors actually treating him have weighed in? correct me if im wrong). if it's what most doctors are saying though, curious what the window is in a heartbeat cycle where that can occur. and if any underlying conditions are needed for that type of reaction

we'll see what changes, if any, that drives though

Hence my asking 'more safe.'

Or does something like this happen and we go 'He knew the sport he was playing'?

That sounds an awful lot like 'He knew the sport he was playing.' Granted, that's my interpretation, not your words, but surely we can't just stop there.

No it doesn’t. You’re really on the verge of some ******** moral grandstanding right now.

Maybe we should just stop here, cause I gotta admit I’m kind of hot. **** that bull **** insinuation you just made. Seriously.

The post I replied to said, “football will never be safe,” to which I replied.

If you want to have a real conversation about Hamlin, or the high level issue surrounding health in football (which my posts was clearly about) we can do that, but miss me with your interpretations if they’re going to be that daft given how charged things are right now.

yeah the damar hamlin injury...we'll see what comes out of it when they release the facts (i know doctors have weighed in across the country but i don't believe the doctors actually treating him have weighed in? correct me if im wrong)

we'll see what changes, if any, that drives though
Agreed. I'm curious what changes WE are ok with, though.

So far all I'm seeing is 'Handle concussions better.' And that's it, nothing else.

'Better follow up' is reactive.

What proactive changes would we be ok with? What changes would we be OK with that prevent major injury instead of just calling for a better follow up once a major injury happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom