NFL OFF-SEASON THREAD 2022-23: FanDuel getting everybody hemmed up. ESPN went Kamikaze. We in that dead zone of the year y’all.

How much will that Lamar brick go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

03BF4020-17C7-4F32-ACFC-0FA2486A2EED.jpeg

And that therapist he has in Episode 1, Brownell Mack, was my therapist about four years ago. Great dude.

Who is saying there is an issue

as the tweet says “an elite businessman”
I don’t think none of us are.

What I will say though is I think the general sentiment publicly is that he’s “overpaid” and “not worth it”. Take a scroll through those comments. A lot of “good for him”. A lot of people think Kirk is finessing the league.

We’re saying he really isn’t because his play has been above average most of his career.

Last edited:
the only thing I would knock Kirk for decision wise, is not going to the niners with Kyle if that was a realistic option

but I don’t know if I would even say that, given I don’t think he would have gotten the same deal as was on the table with New York and then Minnesota

but more QBs would be better off drawing things out like Kirk and then dak did.. But that wasn’t by choice initially in either case, their respective teams screwed up not signing them early and if they didn’t believe trading them (see wentz)

the only thing I would knock Kirk for decision wise, is not going to the niners with Kyle if that was a realistic option

but I don’t know if I would even say that, given I don’t think he would have gotten the same deal as was on the table with New York and then Minnesota

but more QBs would be better off drawing things out like Kirk and then dak did.. But that wasn’t by choice initially in either case, their respective teams screwed up not signing them early and if they didn’t believe trading them (see wentz)
There was no way Washington was extending Cousins when he was first eligible. He didn’t show franchise potential in the games he did start in years 2 and 3. He became the full time starter in the final year of his rookie deal, balled out, and wanted a fully guaranteed contract based on what Washington would’ve had to pay him if they tagged him multiple years.

Cousins was willing to bet on himself 2 years on the tag and in the end he was a sub .500 QB with 0 playoff appearances during that stretch.

Not saying he’s a bad QB but I definitely understand why we let him walk at the time.

There was no way Washington was extending Cousins when he was first eligible. He didn’t show franchise potential in the games he did start in years 2 and 3. He became the full time starter in the final year of his rookie deal, balled out, and wanted a fully guaranteed contract based on what Washington would’ve had to pay him if they tagged him multiple years.

Cousins was willing to bet on himself 2 years on the tag and in the end he was a sub .500 QB with 0 playoff appearances during that stretch.

Not saying he’s a bad QB but I definitely understand why we let him walk at the time.

like with dak, Kirk had shown enough to make the initial deals well worth it.. especially given the QB market and the likelihood you’d be able to move those deals if you deemed those guys not worth the price, to you (hence why I use wentz as an example)

kirk being a 4th rounder like dak, were eligible for extensions a year earlier than first round guys

if Im remembering correctly both guys tried to sign 3 year deals, the costs of both were essentially just over what the teams ended up paying anyways by using the tags plus the price going up due to subsequent years and when they did sign actual deals

but Kirk showed who he was while still on his rookie deal which he only became the full time starter that 4th year.. team just didn’t believe in him which draft position could have planned a role in that plus the then HC and his issues

The best I could find

https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/3/9/...-3-years-19-5-million-per-year-last-offseason

kirk being a 4th rounder like dak, were eligible for extensions a year earlier than first round guys
Not exactly. All rookies are eligible for extensions after the 3rd year. It's the first rounders who have a 5th year team option tacked on but that doesn't impact extension eligibility.

I'm only pushing back on the notion that Washington "screwed up" by not extending Cousins when first eligible. He was trash in the handful of games he started up to that point and Washington had no incentive to offer an extension. He became a free agent after year 4 and was happy to use the tag as leverage against Washington. Hindsight is 20/20 and yes we'd be better with him on the roster today. But I do not think it's hard to see why Washington at the time didn't back up the Brinks truck for a sub .500 QB with 0 playoff wins over 6 years...

Washington did screw up, they BEEN a poorly run organization

But Kirk and his team came to the table with a reasonable 3 year deal.. but they were also willing to play on the tags, which for QBs could be smart

Washington and Dallas screwed themselves

Even then there was cap stuff you could do with the added year to spread out bonuses.. but kaep is the rare exception of a guy who has shown something and was not given multiple future opportunities

Again, look at wentz.. colts traded a 1st and 3rd.. then Washington traded 2 3rds

Cousins is like the 12th best QB consistently, and 8th on his best day. Jordan Poole makes the same amount of money guaranteed, relatively I know doesn’t make sense but just think about that…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom