NFL Quarterbacks Discussion thread: 2013 Edition

Hmm. I never even thought about that comparison before, CP.

That's actually not bad at all.

Feeding off this Russell/Cam thing we had going on, I think it's fair to say that we're going to have a pretty big shake up with that second tier after this season.

Granted, still 5-6 games left for each team. But by now, I think we know who will be what. I think Eli might be the only one who might avoid a big slide.

I know.

I'm saying that I think right now he's sliding but he's the one I'd put money on to put together a huge run to quiet people.

Tonight's topic: Robert Griffin III

I don't think he's as bad as he's playing at all. A QB as accurate as him doesn't just go south with that. Seems very evident to me that his knee has set him back mentally and he's thinking too much and probably conscience of his knee in the back of his mind. I don't see this as an excuse, but as the reason for his struggles. I think he definitely bounces back as a passer, but the hits he takes worry me.

This was my write-up before the season:

Robert Griffin III – Similar to Kaepernick, I predict a small step back for RGIII, but for different reasons. Fresh from tearing his knee, Griffin should see the field come week 1, but I question the unity between RGIII and his coaching staff. Will he run a lot or be discouraged from doing so? Will we see turmoil start to surface on differences of opinion, similar to what was seen in preseason? The writing is all over the wall for a sophomore slump. Defenses will be divulging schemes to keep RGIII under wraps early on, but he’ll find his groove later in the season. ******** will have a down year, but RGIII and co. will get hot late, prime to make another big splash 2014.

Seems to be a lot of truth to that and I still feel good about a mini hot streak to close out the year. That's independent of the team as a whole though...If turmoil continues to mount then RGIII will be right in the muck of it all and probably continues to struggle.

Last edited:
I know.

I'm saying that I think right now he's sliding but he's the one I'd put money on to put together a huge run to quiet people.

it won't quiet everyone, though. it would be the story of his career….a streaky and incredibly inconsistent player.

Ben and Eli are often linked but Manning has been much more inconsistent overall. Still really like the guy though :lol:

I know.

it won't quiet everyone, though. it would be the story of his career….a streaky and incredibly inconsistent player.

One more shot :lol:

I'm saying right now, he's sliding hard out of that second tier (along with Ryan). But I think his push that he'll have starting Sunday will keep him in that second tier. The consensus on him will always be the same...I'm just saying this next stretch I think he'll have will keep him where he was before the season started.

Lots of QB's on that "2nd tier" would fall off if they were without Julio and Roddy too.

That's why they're 2nd tier to begin with.

Understood.

But was he great with them this year? He went back to his old form of checking down more often than not.

But then again, I'm in the camp that last year was more of an aberration than it was a step forward. I just don't think he's that good.

He might not be... Funny that the "Game Winning Drives" stat has been pumped up on here about certain QB's... And Matt had been on a tear with Q4 comeback's and labeled clutch propelling him upwards in these rankings... But no one talks about that anymore with him.

Hes got 23 of them at age 27... Tells me that even with that offense they've had with Burner/Julio/Roddy/Tony (not all at once always but typically 2 or 3 pieces at a time over his career) they weren't putting teams away and always letting people hang around.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the guy, but I'm personally giving Matt Ryan a pass for this year.

--He's played damn near all of his games this year missing one (or both) of his top guys.
--The Falcons have ZERO running game. 31st in the league averaging 73 yards a game.
--Only three teams have given up more points than the Falcons: Minny, Jacksonville, and Washington. The Falcons have a whopping 8 turnovers on the year.
--Other than the most recent loss to TB, every game they've lost thus far has been to a .500 or better team. Lost to NO, NE, MIA, and NYJ by a combined 19 points.
--Even with all of this, he's 7th in passing yards, 8th in passing TDs, and completing 66% of his passes.

[table][tr][td]BY PASS PLAY[/td][td]CMP[/td][td]ATT[/td][td]YDS[/td][td]CMP%[/td][td]AVG[/td][td]LNG[/td][td]TD[/td][td]INT[/td][td]SACK[/td][td]RAT[/td][td]ATT[/td][td]YDS[/td][td]AVG[/td][td]LNG[/td][td]TD[/td][/tr][tr][td]Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage[/td][td]70[/td][td]83[/td][td]407[/td][td]84.3[/td][td]4.90[/td][td]34[/td][td]4[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]103.2[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0.0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Pass Thrown 1-10 yds[/td][td]126[/td][td]184[/td][td]1,047[/td][td]68.5[/td][td]5.69[/td][td]31[/td][td]7[/td][td]2[/td][td]0[/td][td]91.0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0.0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Pass Thrown 11-20 yds[/td][td]46[/td][td]83[/td][td]861[/td][td]55.4[/td][td]10.37[/td][td]50[/td][td]3[/td][td]5[/td][td]0[/td][td]78.4[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0.0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Pass Thrown 21-30 yds[/td][td]2[/td][td]10[/td][td]113[/td][td]20.0[/td][td]11.30[/td][td]81[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]67.9[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0.0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Pass Thrown 31-40 yds[/td][td]3[/td][td]6[/td][td]137[/td][td]50.0[/td][td]22.83[/td][td]54[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]0[/td][td]95.8[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0.0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Pass Thrown 41+ yds[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]49[/td][td]50.0[/td][td]24.50[/td][td]49[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]95.8[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0.0[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][/table]

Whats up with that quote? 
laugh.gif

pro-football-reference.com has good split stats.

The one I posted is from ESPN.com though.

Just go to the player pages and select "Splits"... Has everything from 3rd and distance to ball thrown x far to regular stuff.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on him Fraij/Ches. Like I said, I never put him that high up there & I've stood by the notion that last year was a career year and he wouldn't come close to that again. Maybe that's a little unfair.

I still put him towards the bottom of that second tier.

Tonight's topic: Robert Griffin III

I don't think he's as bad as he's playing at all. A QB as accurate as him doesn't just go south with that. Seems very evident to me that his knee has set him back mentally and he's thinking too much and probably conscience of his knee in the back of his mind. I don't see this as an excuse, but as the reason for his struggles. I think he definitely bounces back as a passer, but the hits he takes worry me.

This was my write-up before the season:
Robert Griffin III – Similar to Kaepernick, I predict a small step back for RGIII, but for different reasons. Fresh from tearing his knee, Griffin should see the field come week 1, but I question the unity between RGIII and his coaching staff. Will he run a lot or be discouraged from doing so? Will we see turmoil start to surface on differences of opinion, similar to what was seen in preseason? The writing is all over the wall for a sophomore slump. Defenses will be divulging schemes to keep RGIII under wraps early on, but he’ll find his groove later in the season. ******** will have a down year, but RGIII and co. will get hot late, prime to make another big splash 2014.
Seems to be a lot of truth to that and I still feel good about a mini hot streak to close out the year. That's independent of the team as a whole though...If turmoil continues to mount then RGIII will be right in the muck of it all and probably continues to struggle.
I think even with your first line of this post, that you are being a little generous with your in season assessment of RGIII.  He has not played well this  year at all.  I dont have the time or the energy to go back and look through all of the Skins boxscores this season, but based on memory, I would be willing to bet that the majority of his production has happened when the Skins were already out of the game.  I know this because the team that is in second place in my fantasy division has RGIII....and I have been watching him closely.  There have been a ton of times this year where he has done virtually nothing for 3 quarters, then all of a sudden he has 275 and 2 touchdowns. 

The games I HAVE seen him play this year, he certainly is not the QB we saw last year.  Now my expectation is for him to improve, but so far this year, he has been pretty bad.

His accuracy last year was immaculate, and this year he's just firing balls all over the place. It seems like his fundamentals have really slipped after the injury for whatever reason.

Also, let's be honest re: team success. The diplomats overachieved last year. They do not have a playoff quality roster. The horrendous defense, sub-par receivers and sudden poor line play have not done him any favors.

He has struggled mightily. I agree, dland. I guess a better way of saying that is despite those struggles, it seems to be correctable and more of a mental struggle than anything physical.

And to 100027's point...His accuracy was great in college as well. It wasn't just a one-year wonder type deal. That's why I strongly feel like this year is just him re-adjusting his mindset and looking to get in that groove. Going through the injury looks to have played a big role on his psyche and it's showing in his mechanics and as a result, his accuracy.

His future as a passer doesn't bother me as much as all the hits he takes. After awhile he'll never be able to rediscover his confidence if he keeps getting pelted and thrown like a rag doll every game.

Last edited:
I've been hoping they lose more games, toss in Cousins, he goes off Matt Flynn like & they trade RG3.

Last thing in the world I think would happen.

Something to keep in mind: Eli has 3 TD's in the NYG 4 game winning streak.

Surpassed his INT total last season (15) with 17 this year.

Throwing an INT more frequently by 10 pass attempts per.

RG3 has really regressed this year. His mechanics/accuracy are off and he's shown terrible awareness in the pocket. As a rookie, he set the bar RIDICULOUSLY high. With the tough schedule and with his injury, I expected his #'s to dip. Next year, there are no excuses (assuming he can stay healthy). In addition, the team will also get back cap space. This means, he'll have more weapons and an actual offseason where he can throw. Year 3 is a big one. This is where you see if the trajectory of your QB is that of someone who will be under center for the next 10+ seasons. I completely believe he's that guy.

The team right now is in shambles. We're seeing the effect of the 32 million lost in cap space. They have no depth and outside of maybe 8 starters (on both sides of the ball) and Helu, you're going to be looking at a totally different squad heading into the 2014 season. Just have to weather the storm right now and hope that RG3 can channel his inner Cam Newton, and finish this year on a positive note as he heads into his 3rd season.

I would think that Cam absolutely being buried dead last year, and then coming back this year with both middle fingers up would make people check themselves and realize it takes a couple years for guys to get where they truly are.

Ryan and Flacco both jumped last year in their 5th year.

Not everyone rises day one, minute one. Seeing Kap and RG3 struggle now is fine, they sholdn't be given up on or labeled incorrectly just yet.

Rivers was also deaded last year. And looks tremendous this year. Coach, system, health, players around them, etc. All adds up.

^ I agree. Everything is so rushed. Media helps mold that opinion, but it seems truthful to front offices too. Sorta...

If I were a GM I'd want a good 5 years to build and let players grow before I was put on notice due to a up-and-down, young quarterback.

Biggest thing is to see improvement and guys like Kaep and RGIII definitely deserve that chance. Ponder...Not so much. He hasn't improved much at all.

Back
Top Bottom