NFL Regular Season Thread 2019-2020: The Brazen Bahamian Battles Over Eli’s Legacy Til He’s Blue In The Face

100 Years of Greatness: ESPN's Starting Lineup of the NFL's Best of the Best

By Jeff Legwold

As the NFL's 100th season is set to begin, we start the ultimate debate: Who would be a part of the all-time best starting lineup? That means a player for every position on the field and special teams.

Sounds simple enough, right?

Or nearly impossible.

To put the task another way, a longtime NFL coach I've known for more than 20 years said: "Are you f---ing nuts?"

Knowing there aren't any totally right answers but separating 100 years of Hall of Famers and elevating the truly elite takes some work.

Honestly, this is a project more than 30 years in the making. The research includes surveying more than 250 people through those years, including players, coaches, scouts, general managers, Hall of Famers and Hall of Fame voters.

Who's the best they ever saw, best they ever played with, best they ever faced, best they ever heard about? I asked those questions, evaluated the statistical data available, then did what longtime scout C.O. Brocato told me oh so long ago: I trusted my eyes.

Then I picked a team with a strongside and weakside presence on offense and defense.

So there is a left tackle and a right tackle, a weakside linebacker and a strongside linebacker, a free safety and a strong safety.

Although this team spans decades, lack of video and a statistical disadvantage limits players from the game's formative years. I gave a shout out to those players, who were great in an era without the benefit of groundskeepers, trainers, medical staffs, personal chefs or, in many cases, anything resembling equipment that would provide much more protection than the average jersey.

The arguments are coming, so have at it.

Here's the team. It is filled with the best the game has ever seen and a ridiculously enormous list of those left off.

QB Tom Brady
WR Jerry Rice
WR Don Hutson
RB Jim Brown
RB Walter Payton
LT Anthony Munoz
G John Hannah
C Jim Otto
G Jim Parker
G Forrest Gregg
TE Tony Gonzalez

DE Reggie White
DE Deacon Jones
DT Joe Greene
DT Merlin Olsen
LB Lawrence Taylor
LB **** Butkus
LB Bobby Bell
CB Deion Sanders
CB Rod Woodson
S Ken Houston
S Ronnie Lott

K Adam Vinatieri
P Ray Guy
Special Team/Returner Gale Sayers
Coach Bill Belichick

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...e-montana-choosing-nfl-greatest-ever-position

Last edited:
Id take Marshall Faulk over any RB

Ken Houston got a line to go at that safety spot

Gronk is the TE.. and can’t have no DT that played at DE at best size

Hard to take any tackles over roaf and ogden

Also give me moss as my z WR.. Calvin Johnson or TO as my X.. and I’d take jerry in the slot

Give me Revis over Rod Woodson.

4Y6AGONFOF67T5SI22URKK65U4.jpg

Him getting cooked by the GOAT WR means what?

I’d probably take Champ over Rod too, maybe Woodson as well. Rod was a beast but he ain’t number 2 for me.

When I look at these list, I think who was the best in their prime. Revis in his prime was the closest I feel like we’ve seen to Deion.

Honestly, rod would be my nickle CB or 3rd safety

I’d go Deion and champ as my outside guys and let rod move between safety and covering the slot and TEs and RBs

Ain’t no ****in disrespect, a lot of people would have Revis, Champ or Charles ahead of him.

Disrespect is ****in Don Hutson who played when it was whites only. Nowhere near the skill or production of Moss, TO, AB, Julio Jones and other players.

I see LeBron get killed all the time for losing in the Finals.....Brady lost a lot of SBs. His ***** *** family in mouth kissing *** needs to be dragged just like LeBron gets.

Last edited:
Ain’t no ****in disrespect, a lot of people would have Revis, Champ or Charles ahead of him.

Disrespect is ****in Don Hutson who played when it was whites only. Nowhere near the skill or production of Moss, TO, AB, Julio Jones and other players.

I see LeBron get killed all the time for nosing in the Finals.....Brady lost a lot of SBs. His ***** *** family in mouth kissing *** needs to be dragged just like LeBron gets.
im talking about him as a safety relax buddy

Him getting cooked by the GOAT WR means what?

I’d probably take Champ over Rod too, maybe Woodson as well. Rod was a beast but he ain’t number 2 for me.

When I look at these list, I think who was the best in their prime. Revis in his prime was the closest I feel like we’ve seen to Deion.

****outtahere man. Revis overrated. Slow AF. Man only had 29 INTs. He peaked for 3 years. Deion was in his prime forever.

Charles Woodson >>>>>>>>>> Revis

Closet thing to Prime..... and you say REVIS??? :lol: :rofl:

Rod was DPOY..... Revis NEVER won a DPOY.

Rod Woodson tore his ACL at 30. And was still faster than Revis.

Revis garbage and overrated.

Rod Better than Champ too. I like Champ, but he be getting overrated a lot too. He was a great athlete that played a looooooooong time.

Deion, Rod, Charles >>>>>>>>>>> Revis and Champ.

Revis and Champ ain’t even better than Ty Law. Ty Law one of my favorites too

Jerry taking shots at Zeke while they have this presser for extending Smith. What a mistake that is. This fool is only making it worse. He’s trying to be cute and funny thinking he’s in control when he’s really not.

****outtahere man. Revis overrated. Slow AF. Man only had 29 INTs. He peaked for 3 years. Deion was in his prime forever.

Charles Woodson >>>>>>>>>> Revis

Closet thing to Prime..... and you say REVIS??? :lol: :rofl:

Revis didn’t have many INTs cause there were years they weren’t throwing to his WRs.

Jerry taking shots at Zeke while they have this presser for extending Smith. What a mistake that is. This fool is only making it worse. He’s trying to be cute and funny thinking he’s in control when he’s really not.

Revis didn’t have many INTs cause there were years they weren’t throwing to his WRs.

They ain’t throw Deion way..... and he still had 53 INTs.

No “GREAT” CB went out as bad as Revis. He got his ring good.

But man was trash AF in his 30s. Deion, Rod, and Charles all were great for a decade plus. Revis has a great 4 or 5 years max. His bad years were BADDDD.

He was out here flat-footed, reaching and grabbing

Jerry taking shots at Zeke while they have this presser for extending Smith. What a mistake that is. This fool is only making it better. He’s trying to be cute and funny thinking he’s in control when he’s really not.

Fixed

They ain’t throw Deion way..... and he still had 53 INTs.

No “GREAT” CB went out as bad as Revis. He got his ring good.

But man was trash AF in his 30s. Deion, Rod, and Charles all were great for a decade plus. Revis has a great 4 or 5 years max. His bad years were BADDDD.

He was out here flat-footed, reaching and grabbing

If I needed an outside CB, I’d take revis over charles

But I’m not taking no one over Deion, champ and/or rod on the outside.. then I’d have to consider what type of defense I’m playing for some other guys and roles

Back
Top Bottom