Nike Air 180 OG

Nike ain't writing essays identifying what's different, especially when it involves explaining why their manufacturing process was trash in the past. Where are they sharing that info? Who is even reading it outside of this thread? Zero incentive for them. That said, if Nike is anything like Apple, you'd have to get clearance from Nike's comms team to speak on anything related to the product/work as a current Nike employee. This is about as official of a statement on a defect as you'll ever get.

I would hope so. All that work to redo the bubble and shape of the shoe but only have a few releases is crazy.

Seriously. Pretty much what they did with the AM IIIs. Arguably that's even more nuts b/c they continuously pump out 90s but use the other pathetic molds instead of the amazing version they spent so much time getting right. I still don't understand it. Put that sucker on every/any colorway!

Nike ain't writing essays identifying what's different, especially when it involves explaining why their manufacturing process was trash in the past. Where are they sharing that info? Who is even reading it outside of this thread? Zero incentive for them. That said, if Nike is anything like Apple, you'd have to get clearance from Nike's comms team to speak on anything related to the product/work as a current Nike employee. This is about as official of a statement on a defect as you'll ever get.
You literally said nike changed all the swooshes with no proof

If nike is going to release a capsule of 3/4 shoes and speak to all the effort they put into molding the shoe to the OG..why would it be a big deal for them to detail the changes that needed to be made to recreate the shoe in the modern day?

Maybe, but at the same time then don’t constantly claim all these retros are “true to” or “1:1” with the OGs.

Maybe, but at the same time then don’t constantly claim all these retros are “true to” or “1:1” with the OGs.
They’re definitely milking that but in fairness the stuff they’ve dropped that label on have been the best retro shape of those shoes. Which makes them true to the OG without being exact. It’s all marketing at the end of the day from a marketing company.

They’re definitely milking that but in fairness the stuff they’ve dropped that label on have been the best retro shape of those shoes. Which makes them true to the OG without being exact. It’s all marketing at the end of the day from a marketing company.

Right, and they can market them however they want. They do these SNKRS Live vids, other vids like the one for the 2020 Infrared AMIII … All I’m saying is they can do better in the messaging while doing so in a way that also gets the products and releases even more eyeballs and attention.

I remember the initial reaction to the 90 recraft being negative due to the thin mudguard until entire realized it was a necessary sacrifice and had them in hand to experience the comfort. The messaging did help with that turn tho.

And the new GRs do have the recraft mold uppers, they used use stepped on materials and don’t have the AM3 soles. Only the OG colorways got the soles but there were the other OG-like colorways that got the new upper cut with slightly different materials (same mesh but different felt), new midsole material, but old outsole mold.

Last edited:
I remember the initial reaction to the 90 recraft being negative due to the thin mudguard until entire realized it was a necessary sacrifice and had them in hand to experience the comfort. The messaging did help with that turn tho.

And the new GRs do have the recraft mold uppers, they used use stepped on materials and don’t have the AM3 soles. Only the OG colorways got the soles but there were the other OG-like colorways that got the new upper cut with slightly different materials (same mesh but different felt), new midsole material, but old outsole mold.

Toe shape and mudguard shape of GRs don't look anything like the AMIII in my opinion.

Toe shape and mudguard shape of GRs don't look anything like the AMIII in my opinion.
One other thing they did different on the AM3 is the cut of the toe overlay. On some pairs it’s cut wider to expose more of the vamp. But not on all pairs. In fact, my left shoe is cut way wider than my right. Another difference with GRs is probably the last. The new GRs definitely have the same upper cut that the early recraft pairs had (the initial turquoise, royal, and purple rollout), but they probably went back to rolling that toe over a thicker last, which makes the toe look less sleek. Still way sleeker than the 2019 and earlier pairs though.

You can see in the spoilers my left AM3 has a wider, more round cut and my right is more in line with my turquoise recrafts. You can tell the difference between the recraft and pre-2020 upper cuz the pre-2020 pairs have an extra stitch around the base of your pinky toe. Shamefully they also carried that old shape and thick toe over to the 2020 bacons.

IMG_8166.jpeg
IMG_8167.jpeg
IMG_8168.jpeg
IMG_8169.jpeg

One other thing they did different on the AM3 is the cut of the toe overlay. On some pairs it’s cut wider to expose more of the vamp. But not on all pairs. In fact, my left shoe is cut way wider than my right. Another difference with GRs is probably the last. The new GRs definitely have the same upper cut that the early recraft pairs had (the initial turquoise, royal, and purple rollout), but they probably went back to rolling that toe over a thicker last, which makes the toe look less sleek. Still way sleeker than the 2019 and earlier pairs though.

You can see in the spoilers my left AM3 has a wider, more round cut and my right is more in line with my turquoise recrafts. You can tell the difference between the recraft and pre-2020 upper cuz the pre-2020 pairs have an extra stitch around the base of your pinky toe. Shamefully they also carried that old shape and thick toe over to the 2020 bacons.

IMG_8166.jpeg
IMG_8167.jpeg
IMG_8168.jpeg
IMG_8169.jpeg

Great callouts; that all makes sense. After getting these I couldn't look at any other 90s with any desire to purchase. Bacons toe box was just awful as well; a shame.

Are my toes good? :pimp:

IMG_2980.jpeg

Mine have very mild creasing like your right shoe on the pair on the right. Fortunately, to me it looks like a flux capacitor shape, and thus is well in line with the 90s ;-).
Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 7.59.42 AM.png

Overall, LOVING this release. Not AMIII 90s cushy, but I find them comfy (for what they are), and they look awesome.

Back
Top Bottom