Nike Air Flight 89: now on NIKEiD

With a true cult following, the 89 has to be the most disrespected sneaker in the retro lineup. I think within the community, people view these as takedown model. Never mind the AJ VII is a Jordan branded huarache, that also shares the same sole as the Maestro 1s. Or the 8s that share some common characteristics as the Air Raid, Air Unlimiteds, and the Air Prevail. The 89 wasn’t done any favors either from their bastard cousins the Flight Condor or Flight Falcon. Entire NSW and Retro departments stay wildin’.

I don't think anyone views the 89 Flight's as a takedown model.

At least I've never heard anyone say that.

I don't think anyone views the 89 Flight's as a takedown model.

At least I've never heard anyone say that.
You’d be surprised. Both of my sons have called them pump fake 4s (whatever that means).

Went to a “vintage” sneaker boutique shop and I talked at length with the workers. 89s came up along with Solo Flights……the Flight 89 slander was real. Not a worldwide view, but there are some that just disregard them because of the similarities.

A lot of younger people I've met think 89s are just cheaper 4s.

It also doesn't help that there's a shoe that's always at Shoe Carnival, the last 4-5 years, that looks just like the 89, same outsole and everything.

Anyone that knows the history (such as yourself) doesn't view them that way. These newer folks have no idea that it served as the inspiration for the AJ IV. I believe the Flights actually released before the IVs, too.

You’d be surprised. Both of my sons have called them pump fake 4s (whatever that means).

Went to a “vintage” sneaker boutique shop and I talked at length with the workers. 89s came up along with Solo Flights……the Flight 89 slander was real. Not a worldwide view, but there are some that just disregard them because of the similarities.

It also doesn't help that there's a shoe that's always at Shoe Carnival, the last 4-5 years, that looks just like the 89, same outsole and everything.
Thanks for saying it cmore501 cmore501 it’s the newer folks.

I’m speaking about people who were around and interested in shoes at the time they were released.

They look similar so a person born in 2015 would think so.

vettez06 vettez06 I hear both of you. I’m well over 40 and these have always been a staple in my collection. My boys are 26 and 21 respectively, neither will wear a pair. Dudes at the store looked like they were pushing 30.

It quite literally could be that one person says their opinion, then everyone just agrees for whatever reason.

I was being sarcastic with 2015 but most underrated.

If a person was alive and into basketball shoes or Nike basketball at that time period 1989, then their opinion isn't valid.

They do look similar so I can understand why someone who wasn't around during that time period would think that they were a takedown model.

But if you were around then, then you know better.

I was being sarcastic with 2015 but most underrated.

If a person was alive and into basketball shoes or Nike basketball at that time period 1989, then their opinion isn't valid.

They do look similar so I can understand why someone who wasn't around during that time period would think that they were a takedown model.

But if you were around then, then you know better.
Agreed. The generation that was around when these came out had the best seat in the house for these and hundreds of other classics. I guess it’s a generational thing whereas we want the og true to form vs this generation who needs a hyped collab. Black/white dunks are an exception. Way too many out here for my liking.

vettez06 vettez06 I hear both of you. I’m well over 40 and these have always been a staple in my collection. My boys are 26 and 21 respectively, neither will wear a pair. Dudes at the store looked like they were pushing 30.

It quite literally could be that one person says their opinion, then everyone just agrees for whatever reason.
That's crazy cause I'm 29 and I like 89s.

I remember having a navy patent leather version with volt accents and a silver swoosh.

Here’s my last two pickups, about $60 each.

I haven’t worn them yet, just waiting for the weather to clear up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_3146.jpeg
    IMG_3146.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_3147.jpeg
    IMG_3147.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 313
Here’s my last two pickups, about $60 each.

I haven’t worn them yet, just waiting for the weather to clear up a bit.
questions on the new true blue flight 89's hows the general quality and toebox comfort? The last release and many more in between was plagued by sythentic materials that made this shoe barely wearable

Last edited:
wonder if my old flight 89 retros will fall apart if i wear them 🤔 them ****s had the worst leather of all time and felt really uncomfortable to wear 💀

Perfect, keep em sleep.

These newer folks have no idea that it served as the inspiration for the AJ IV. I believe the Flights actually released before the IVs, too.

I asked a few years back in this thread which had came first, because I had suspected the AJIV was a more refined version of the 89.

Never got a definitive answer.

Perfect, keep em sleep.

I asked a few years back in this thread which had came first, because I had suspected the AJIV was a more refined version of the 89.

Never got a definitive answer.
I read a few years ago the ‘89 came before the IV. Some theorized the ‘89 was an early sketch of the IV. Who knows at this point.

I recall kids on my bus having both the 89 and the 4s (I had the WC4s). If the 89 came out first, it was within the same year within months of one another. REALLY want the OG black/grey; even liked those better than the 4s b/c the midsole didn't yellow like the OG 4s did b/c it was black.

Im team over 40 here as well and love this model. Still have 15-20 in storage over the years. Had the OG ones as a youngin’ back in ‘89 too (with long, folded over socks like MJ) The only thing i only like is that the toe box and the collar crease/crack more than the IVs.

Back
Top Bottom