Nike Air Jordan 4 Retro "White/Cement" - The Aftermath - NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING

LOL. You sound Silly.

Where in what I said gave you the impression that I don't know the differences between Synthetic & Geniune Leathers?

You did an Awesome Job of completely Avoiding the Point. I'll leave it alone, though. 
mean.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif

what gave me the impression? you just said the Xii's in my avatar are not real leather.... 
nerd.gif

what is your point tho? synthetic = quality because people accept them? that's nostalgia working people's mind right there. 

synthetic leather vs real leather doesn't matter how you cut it doesn't = quality. they may have better craftsmanship & quality control for the 99-00 iv and v. the quality of material was not better. 

and the answer your question about the Xiis, the 03-04 pairs do have good quality in both leather and craftsmanship. The 09 leather are still better than the crap they used on the taxi. 

Last edited:
2003 was the end of the full grain leather. 03 cements undoubtedly use full grain tumbled leather, while the XII that came towards the end of the year, not so much. There is a clear difference in the leather on the 03 XII compared to the 97

Nah, def synthetic. They were a nice quality synthetic, but not real leather nonetheless. Same stuff the '00 white/red/metallic V's were made out of.

I liked that material though. It always creased evenly and was really easy to wipe clean.
Are all retro's synthetic leather? Are the SBB 1's synthetic? I've always wondered.

Definitely not. For older retros like the white/cement IV and white/red V were SL, the black/cement IV and black/metallic V were Durabuck[emoji]8482[/emoji] (Also synthetic); whereas retro +'s like the white/chrome IV, black/cool grey IV and white/metallic V's were real leather. Later OG colorway IV and V retros such as the Militarys, Grapes and recent black/metallics used real leather and nubuck.

It's really hit or miss. A lot of people complain about the leather quality today and rightfully so.... for the most part. The thing people tend to not realize is that inconsistencies in grain are just a property of natural leather. JB has tried to remedy this by coating their leather in an almost plastic like substance. Shoes like the recent white/cement IV and white/red V's use this coated leather and while they don't crease nearly as easily, they look and feel very cheap.

As for the SBB's, they're real leather. To my knowledge all of the recent I Highs use real leather.

Haven't they stopped using Genuine leather in the mid '90s?

Again, definitely not. Nike/JB still uses leather on plenty of retros. "Genuine Leather" can be anything from full grain to pressed composite leather.

I don't recall any shoes that were ever made out of true full grain. Most OG's and retros are top grain at absolute best. Real full grain leather is very expensive and goes through a laborious tanning process. It just doesn't make economical sense to use it on athletic shoes.

A lot of people confuse full grain with tumbled leather. They assume that the "grain" refers to the texture of the leather. Tumbled leather can be any grade of leather that's been rolled in a drum to give it a grainy, wrinkled appearance eg OG Jordan III. On the inverse, full grain doesn't mean the leather has a visible grain. Full grain is the top layer of the animals skin and is typically very smooth in both appearance and texture.

Definitely not. For older retros like the white/cement IV and white/red V were SL, the black/cement IV and black/metallic V were Durabuck[emoji]8482[/emoji] (Also synthetic); whereas retro +'s like the white/chrome IV, black/cool grey IV and white/metallic V's were real leather. Later OG colorway IV and V retros such as the Militarys, Grapes and recent black/metallics used real leather and nubuck.

It's really hit or miss. A lot of people complain about the leather quality today and rightfully so.... for the most part. The thing people tend to not realize is that inconsistencies in grain are just a property of natural leather. JB has tried to remedy this by coating their leather in an almost plastic like substance. Shoes like the recent white/cement IV and white/red V's use this coated leather and while they don't crease nearly as easily, they look and feel very cheap.

As for the SBB's, they're real leather. To my knowledge all of the recent I Highs use real leather.
Again, definitely not. Nike/JB still uses leather on plenty of retros. "Genuine Leather" can be anything from full grain to pressed composite leather.

I don't recall any shoes that were ever made out of true full grain. Most OG's and retros are top grain at absolute best. Real full grain leather is very expensive and goes through a laborious tanning process. It just doesn't make economical sense to use it on athletic shoes.

A lot of people confuse full grain with tumbled leather. They assume that the "grain" refers to the texture of the leather. Tumbled leather can be any grade of leather that's been rolled in a drum to give it a grainy, wrinkled appearance eg OG Jordan III. On the inverse, full grain doesn't mean the leather has a visible grain. Full grain is the top layer of the animals skin and is typically very smooth in both appearance and texture.
Full Grain is like the Cardinal 7s and Tumbled is like Oreo 4s right?

quality and synthetic doesn't go together imo. people are just nostalgic of how they feel back then instead of looking at the real 'quality". 
 Go pick up a pair of '99's and tell me they aren't quality. It's not a real leather that they use, but whatever is it it's light years better than any crap *** 4's they've given us since then. The OG's 4's used the same stuff as the '99's and they were amazing.

Full Grain is like the Cardinal 7s and Tumbled is like Oreo 4s right?

Cardinals and Oreos are both tumbled. Full grain is the highest quality cowhide available and usually used on premium dress shoes and handbags. Pinnacle I's are the only example I can recall where JB used true full grain. BIN 5's may have been full grain as well, but I've never actually owned a pair so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Cardinals and Oreos are both tumbled. Full grain is the highest quality cowhide available and usually used on premium dress shoes and handbags. Pinnacle I's are the only example I can recall where JB used true full grain. BIN 5's may have been full grain as well, but I've never actually owned a pair so I couldn't tell you for sure.
Oh, because the leather on the 2011 (Cardinal 7s) looked kind of like full grain leather or that synthetic leather.

Oh, because the leather on the 2011 (Cardinal 7s) looked kind of like full grain leather or that synthetic leather.

Can't speak on the 2011's but I had the 2006's and they were a plasticy/waxy coated tumbled leather. Def not synthetic, but they'd look synthetic until you wear them a few times.

True full grain doesn't lend well to tumbling. It's the topmost part of the hide and very dense compared to top grain and lesser cuts. The dense nature of the hide mean it has to be drummed for hours on end to give it any kind of texture, whereas lesser cuts are more pliable and respond much better to the tumbling process resulting in a textured appearance.

Last edited:
Can't speak on the 2011's but I had the 2006's and they were a plasticy/waxy coated tumbled leather. Def not synthetic, but they'd look synthetic until you wear them a few times.

True full grain doesn't lend well to tumbling. It's the topmost part of the hide and very dense compared to top grain and lesser cuts. The dense nature of the hide mean it has to be drummed for hours on end to give it any kind of texture, whereas lesser cuts are more pliable and respond much better to the tumbling process resulting in a textured appearance.
the leather on the 2011 cardinal the tumble part are split grain and the rest are synthetic. the og 12's definitely had full grain leather. it was what made them so durable and heavy compare to the 03 which had top grain. 

full grain is both the top grain and split grain. top grain is the upper section of the full grain leather and split grain is the lower section. but some information calls the top grain full grain ... so it's a mixed of informations. 

Last edited:
^^^^^^
Then the Black/Cement IV's are MOST DEFINITELY are gonna DROP next year. Sometime in the fall, Black Friday more than likely.

^^^^^^
Then the Black/Cement IV's are MOST DEFINITELY are gonna DROP next year. Sometime in the fall, Black Friday more than likely.
I'm thinking July or Dec. JB hang dropped the same shoe twice in black Friday yet. They're prob finna drop something they can make a mass GR. Maybe even a 11?

Or they could be doing the White Cement and Military Blues for next year and the Bred and Fire Reds for 2017

Back
Top Bottom