NIKE Air Jordan IV OG White Fire Red: Black Friday 2020: Nov. 28th

Merry Christmas everyone!

Attachments

• 8547F9D1-6427-44C5-804F-87450925358F.jpeg
    8547F9D1-6427-44C5-804F-87450925358F.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 215
Thought of this thread when I spotted Danny Ainge wearing this maximum comfy Reebok Hornets outfit, with the sick Pumps? to match

This was at the 1991 Slam Dunk competition. He was actually laughing and in awe of a dunk, talking to the people behind him 🏀
Screenshot_20201227-034810~2.png

Screenshot_20201227-034752~2.png
I remember getting the Reebok pumps for Christmas from my grandma rest her soul. I must have talked about them around her and she surprised me with those. In hindsight that was a nice gimmick lol

I had an opportunity to cop these last week, during the DSG restock. I decided against it though, because I really need a 12.5. Didn't feel like settling for a 12. I also thought about those ****ed up ankle collars. I JUST COULDN'T DO IT!!!

Props to ALL who settled for another butchered Air Jordan 4.

|l |l |l |l |l |l |l |l

Last edited:
Oh **** for sure your not wrong on that. Wtf changed so much that shoes are so blocky nowadays? Super wierd they changed.

Been thinking on this for a minute and besides the obvious, I think it might come from a design perspective. Back in the 80s footwear was still a relatively new thing. A lot of designers weren't studying shoes, they were already doing design work with buildings, bridges, and architecture in mind. Those guys were in some ways stripped from their industry and thrown into footwear design.

Couple that with how in your face the 80s were. Which leads to why so many shoes (Jordans in particular) were created with the sports car in mind which were all pretty much sleek with a downward tilt much like what we revere with that shape they just can't get right.

Now ffwd to today where ergonomics, the study of peoples efficiency in their environment, plays a BIG role in how people interact with shoes and designers need to design them. If I am right about any of this, I think the study of ergonomics becoming more and more prevalent in younger footwear designers' minds lead to the change in shape. Where before the toe bent downward, now we have the entire toe box bucked up and banana'd out and that seems more performance driven/how the foot works to me which is WILDY ironic considering how bad it happens to what are pretty much lifestyle shoes at this point.

I took a few classes on this stuff and it made me think that might have something to do with it. But of course.. I still think its not the real reason why.

Well now I need an LJ jersey to
Go w my grape 5’s
wait a minute.... yal... in all my years of life and sneaker love. were the grapes an ode to charlotte? is that me thinking too much or a known fact?

lol sry been on the whiskey tonight

i always loved the hornets jerseys. had one when i was a youngn

Been thinking on this for a minute and besides the obvious, I think it might come from a design perspective. Back in the 80s footwear was still a relatively new thing. A lot of designers weren't studying shoes, they were already doing design work with buildings, bridges, and architecture in mind. Those guys were in some ways stripped from their industry and thrown into footwear design.

Couple that with how in your face the 80s were. Which leads to why so many shoes (Jordans in particular) were created with the sports car in mind which were all pretty much sleek with a downward tilt much like what we revere with that shape they just can't get right.

Now ffwd to today where ergonomics, the study of peoples efficiency in their environment, plays a BIG role in how people interact with shoes and designers need to design them. If I am right about any of this, I think the study of ergonomics becoming more and more prevalent in younger footwear designers' minds lead to the change in shape. Where before the toe bent downward, now we have the entire toe box bucked up and banana'd out and that seems more performance driven/how the foot works to me which is WILDY ironic considering how bad it happens to what are pretty much lifestyle shoes at this point.

I took a few classes on this stuff and it made me think that might have something to do with it. But of course.. I still think its not the real reason why.
That all definitely makes a lot of sense. I get that things change because of the studies put out on the toe turning up ward and everything else. I know when I was a kid buying skate shoes like osiris, Van's, etnies etc, they were all bulky like shoes are now like a pair of low top skate Van's are shaped exactly like the aj4 and AJ3 I always wondered If people just got sloppy after the skate trend came and took over in the early 2000s. They just need to do 1 replica of the OG pairs like really man I have worn 1st gen retros after restoring them and there is 0 difference between the toe pointed upward or just flat and the toe boxes being smaller actually hold my foot in place way better than the bulbous toes lol. I I appriciate you explaining all that out and that's the best answer I have seen on all this ever tbh.

Good discussion, however, I don't think this was a proactive decision; it was design/manufacturing laziness. The shape devolved over time. That's why some shoes look right (ex. flight '89s), while others don't (4s), and why the AM90s were looked at again and they addressed the shape in the IIIs, and why the Jordan 3 toes boxes in the latest ones are improved, etc. This has nothing to do with function; just takes more attention to detail to keep a given shape.

wait a minute.... yal... in all my years of life and sneaker love. were the grapes an ode to charlotte? is that me thinking too much or a known fact?

That's a great observation. I think you may be totally correct. In the early to mid-ninties, many sports teams started changing their logos and colors to look more "modern" and kid friendly (Mighty Ducks) also bright colors were definitely more popular than they were the previous decade. In addition, people with dark or tan skin (me in the summer) look good when wearing bright, vibrant colors.

Screenshot_20201225-193534~2.png

That's a great observation. I think you may be totally correct. In the early to mid-ninties, many sports teams started changing their logos and colors to look more "modern" and kid friendly (Mighty Ducks) also bright colors were definitely more popular than they were the previous decade. In addition, people with dark or tan skin (me in the summer) look good when wearing bright, vibrant colors.

Screenshot_20201225-193534~2.png
Wow, 3 bucks.

I've definitely read that they were inspired by the Hornets because they were in Mike's home state. And I think they released around the same time the franchise made it's debut.

A9D3330F-C823-4136-AE02-91CDD8605548.gif

My first pair gave me a cut on my toe, went up .5 and now they're much better.
I always go half size up with 4s that might be why my feet don’t generally hurt wearing em. However, i did notice some slight pain on my 2019 breds when i first wore them right around where the very bottom plastic eyelet piece and toebox is. It went away after a wear or two, though.

I can tell you for fact that this is not the reason. While the toe spring is added to supposedly make walking in the shoes easier it’s terrible for our health. That aside I’ve been told by someone that works with Nike that they do it because they think it looks better that way SMH.

I can tell you for fact that this is not the reason. While the toe spring is added to supposedly make walking in the shoes easier it’s terrible for our health. That aside I’ve been told by someone that works with Nike that they do it because they think it looks better that way SMH.
I think I mentioned this in an earlier post in this thread but I developed a problem in my foot called Mortons Neuroma now this was more because of me wearing narrows shoes/sneakers when I was younger so over time the inflammation built up in the ball of my foot. Long story short, I wore a good amount of runners such as the free runs, the flyknit ones to be specific which have a really high toe spring and it just made the problem i had even worse to the point I could barely walk. This is one of the reasons I wear Jordans most out of any other sneaker because there really isnt much of a toespring compared to other sneakers and the toeboxes are generally wide enough where I won’t experience any pain in my foot.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned this in an earlier post in this thread but I developed a problem in my foot called Mortons Neuroma now this was more because of me wearing narrows shoes/sneakers when I was younger so over time the inflammation built up in the ball of my foot. Long story short, I wore a good amount of runners such as the free runs, the flyknit ones to be specific which have a really high toe spring and it just made the problem i had even worse to the point I could barely walk. This is one of the reasons I wear Jordans most out of any other sneaker because there really isnt much of a toespring compared to other sneakers and the toeboxes are generally wide enough where I won’t experience any pain in my foot.
I remember you speaking on this. Nike please listen to this man. As others have also pointed out, this toespring design is not good for our feet. And they say it looks good that’s why they’re doing it????? Wow.

Back
Top Bottom