Nike Air Jordan Retro 3 OG “Fire Red” 2022

Man. With inflation, that would be about $940 in today’s money before tax. They were priced at $100 then. Today that’s about $235 a pop. That’s more than today’s MSRP. The only difference was, as you said, if you had the the money, you didn’t have to worry about not being able to get them for retail. Prices have actually mostly trailed inflation. The culture is what’s ruined it. Hardly anyone was trying to get loads of one shoe model back then—or spend that kind of money on freaking sneakers. If you knew someone with TWO pairs, it was wild. Like they were RICH.

even the 1999 retros were $100 and those were pretty damn comfortable for me. I enjoyed playing in those as much as my 13/14's at that point.

1988 Nike Air Jordan colorways.jpg

1988-nike-footwear-product-catalog_1_eae4523a183686a25b1ff810e6b0dd93.jpg

Funny how the Elephant is different heights on every single one of these. :rofl:

Funny how the Elephant is different heights on every single one of these. :rofl:
But even with them being different , they are all skinner than anything we have received since they released. Also completely different color grey then what's been released since. The Cardinals coming out is the closest they have been since the OG Release to the thin EP on the front.

even the 1999 retros were $100 and those were pretty damn comfortable for me. I enjoyed playing in those as much as my 13/14's at that point.
The best retro outside of the 1994 3’s. I know some folks complained about the tongue height but everything about the 99’s was just perfect to me. The wider fit, the lining was softer and tongue was well padded. The 2019’s look and feel like cardboard cutouts.

The best retro outside of the 1994 3’s. I know some folks complained about the tongue height but everything about the 99’s was just perfect to me. The wider fit, the lining was softer and tongue was well padded. The 2019’s look and feel like cardboard cutouts.

agreed

a 99/100 for a retro

But even with them being different , they are all skinner than anything we have received since they released. Also completely different color grey then what's been released since. The Cardinals coming out is the closest they have been since the OG Release to the thin EP on the front.

I'm well aware lol. Just funny to me how some people act like OG's were perfect and could've never had quality control issues, while those of us who were around at the time know better.

I'll have to find the exact picture, but the ones I've seen haven't came close to looking like this.
Revisionist history and nostalgia. Old heads in general tend think everything was better in their day. I think we're all guilty of this at some point in our lives. I'm 28 and I'm constantly bragging to the young boys about how music was better when I was a kid, how tv shows/movies were better, or just how simple and better life was in general. That's why I don't fault the older guys on here for some of their opinions in regards to shoes.. with that being said I think the new, updated ep we've been getting is perfect. The og ep was way too thin and the EP they used on the 3s prior to 2019 is way too thick. The 2018 bc3s look hideous.

are you guys saying this profile isn’t what you want?
B5E52B27-57D6-439F-BCC3-B573AFC1CE5F.jpeg
How dare you. I don't see anything wrong with that. Don't you know the OGs weren't really that great and it's all nostalgia-fueled rose-colored memories from all us washed up old guys who have nothing better to do than whine on NT about something that's not really even a thing? Good day to you, sir. Good day.

41 years of age here. No way I was getting a pair of 3s back then. So all I have is an opinion. No memories or nostalgia by wearing them, just look of shoe alone. I like todays versions of the 3. I dont love them. If I were to choose between these and the true originals, hands down I would go the original shape route.
As far as the comfort goes. The newer pairs are stiff. The older pairs I have read are soft almost right out the box. Different type of midsole to play in right away. Todays stuff more for casual. To last longer. So it makes sense for several to remember the feel of that shoe and compare it to todays pairs. I do that with 6s on up. I still remember. Original 3 all the way in all ways to discuss imo.

Don't you know the OGs weren't really that great and it's all nostalgia-fueled rose-colored memories from all us washed up old guys who have nothing better to do than whine on NT about something that's not really even a thing? Good day to you, sir. Good day.
Come to think of it, my OG Fire Red 3’s were trash.

1642645696004.gif

I slightly envied my cousins who had Js prior to 1990. I was 9 in '88. We weren't the most well off. My parents had a rule about no "mall sneakers" before turning 10.

I think sometime in 89-90 ,some Air Force high top (not af1s obv) was the first time my dad got me a pair of full retail shoes for bball camp from a Foot Locker. Prior to that trip I had no problem with the myriad of K Mart, Payless, Airwalk, Ponys, La Gear, and BKs I had throughout those years.

I remember seeing Jordans on shelf and my dad's shock at the $100 tag and trying to negotiate down for "last year's model" like it was a car. My memory says they had 1, 2, and 3s but that could just be false. But seeing them is what really made me think sneakers were cool and something I should have a preference for.

But that preference level was less then say, if my mom would allow me to cop Captain Crunch or Cinnamon Toast Crunch, or say, Garbage Pail Kids or Topps Baseball cards, Metal Gear vs a new annual subscription to Sports Illustrated or X-Men.

Not sure why I posted this story here.
What I really wanted to say I hope these will be easy to cop.

Back
Top Bottom