Nike Air Jordan Retro 3 OG “Fire Red” 2022

I slightly envied my cousins who had Js prior to 1990. I was 9 in '88. We weren't the most well off. My parents had a rule about no "mall sneakers" before turning 10.

I think sometime in 89-90 ,some Air Force high top (not af1s obv) was the first time my dad got me a pair of full retail shoes for bball camp from a Foot Locker. Prior to that trip I had no problem with the myriad of K Mart, Payless, Airwalk, Ponys, La Gear, and BKs I had throughout those years.

I remember seeing Jordans on shelf and my dad's shock at the $100 tag and trying to negotiate down for "last year's model" like it was a car. My memory says they had 1, 2, and 3s but that could just be false. But seeing them is what really made me think sneakers were cool and something I should have a preference for.

But that preference level was less then say, if my mom would allow me to cop Captain Crunch or Cinnamon Toast Crunch, or say, Garbage Pail Kids or Topps Baseball cards, Metal Gear vs a new annual subscription to Sports Illustrated or X-Men.

Not sure why I posted this story here.
What I really wanted to say I hope these will be easy to cop.

Reminds me of my story lol. I actually talked my mom into getting me the 3's, and I know that neither one of us had any idea how much they were. I was in a 6.5 at the time, which was the death sentence for shoes being between kids and adults. Of course, the store didn't have them in my size, but suggested we walk down a few doors to Shoe Carnival because apparently they had some Air Jordans. Walked into Shoe Carnival, and I kid you not, they had a 6ft tall pyramid of AJ1 Royals. Of course I turned my nose up at them because they were old, and had to wait a couple more years for my first J's. What I wouldn't give to have a time machine and go back to that Shoe Carnival. :lol:

Of course I turned my nose up at them because they were old, and had to wait a couple more years for my first J's. What I wouldn't give to have a time machine and go back to that Shoe Carnival. :lol:

THIS thought process was exactly it back then 100%

In college I had a job at a foot store and fnl 2001 - 2003 or so (which actually made me lose all interest in sneakers from the mid 2000s to the mid 2010s).
During my time, I remember the 17s dropping and minds blown over the metal briefcase. At the same time, most retros, and new Js like the 15s, 16s, rotting away, yellowing on shelf and in the stock room.
Many Saturdays, used to see kids, teenagers, or grown dudes come in, scoff at the "old" Js, grabbing everything from And 1 Tai Chis, Answers, Tmacs, Shox, anything "new". Very select group of dudes looking for Retros.

Certain dudes used to also cop a fresh pair of Reebok classics, the type of fools that would try to jack the shoes now and then. Well one of them "jacked" a pair of the reeboks by "trying them on", putting his pair of bc3s in the box, and walked out while I was in the back looking for a different size. I didn't (still dont) care much for a pair of beat used worn shoes so my coworker excitedly took them. Crazy time that was.

Man. With inflation, that would be about $940 in today’s money before tax. They were priced at $100 then. Today that’s about $235 a pop. That’s more than today’s MSRP. The only difference was, as you said, if you had the the money, you didn’t have to worry about not being able to get them for retail. Prices have actually mostly trailed inflation. The culture is what’s ruined it. Hardly anyone was trying to get loads of one shoe model back then—or spend that kind of money on freaking sneakers. If you knew someone with TWO pairs, it was wild. Like they were RICH.

Everything you've said is 100% correct. Thank you, sir.

THIS thought process was exactly it back then 100%

In college I had a job at a foot store and fnl 2001 - 2003 or so (which actually made me lose all interest in sneakers from the mid 2000s to the mid 2010s).
During my time, I remember the 17s dropping and minds blown over the metal briefcase. At the same time, most retros, and new Js like the 15s, 16s, rotting away, yellowing on shelf and in the stock room.
Many Saturdays, used to see kids, teenagers, or grown dudes come in, scoff at the "old" Js, grabbing everything from And 1 Tai Chis, Answers, Tmacs, Shox, anything "new". Very select group of dudes looking for Retros.

Certain dudes used to also cop a fresh pair of Reebok classics, the type of fools that would try to jack the shoes now and then. Well one of them "jacked" a pair of the reeboks by "trying them on", putting his pair of bc3s in the box, and walked out while I was in the back looking for a different size. I didn't (still dont) care much for a pair of beat used worn shoes so my coworker excitedly took them. Crazy time that was.

Pretty much haha. For a long stretch, once the new model Jordans came out, you got clowned if you were wearing "last year's" J's. If they were older than "last year's" just forget about it. :lol:

On that dude swapping his shoes out on you, that's why we always had to yell "HEADS UP!" at my FTL if you had to walk off the floor to get another size while you were working with a customer. I'll never forget the first time I saw someone do that as long as I live. Was at a SUPER hood FTL and saw a dude do it with the 94 white/cement 3 retro. Dude asked to try them on, then asked the employee if he could try on the black ones and as soon as the employee went to the back, dude BOLTED out the door. FTL employee was heartbroken. :rofl:

There's no excuse as to how these turn out with the proper elephant print when JB released the 2 of these. These will be perfect. 2 pairs is all I need.

IMG_20220202_015457.jpg

Cardinals are cool but I'd rather they just re-release the True Blues in this new mold. Im OG only for most Jordan releases these days unless the new colorway speaks to me. They are clean in person though but meh to me.
OG only is the best way for me too. I used to get some of the other + CWs but I just never reach for them over the OG CWs. No point in buying them.

Back
Top Bottom