Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

(just) do it. They get better when broken in. The durabuck needs time to properly break in. I've already worn both my pairs.

I'll wear them eventually. I won't leave them DS forever. But as of right now I have no plans to wear them. Just an occasional stare is enough for now. Once the urge to put them on and wear them comes, I'll wear them.

Quick question though. Do you own the 2015 Aqua 8's? (they're the only shoes I own that have durabuck) How does the durabuck on the V's hold up compared to the Aquas? From what I could tell it's a bit better cut and thicker.

27 years ago this morning, I got my first pair of black V's. Obviously these aren't that pair, but as many of you know, it remains my favorite shoe of all time to this day.
Damn, and I thought I had a good memory for obscure things from my childhood . You know the exact date? Props man.

Had these at the time, 8th/9th grade. One of my favorites, but I skipped the 2016 retro. Something about them just seems off to me, not sure what. It might be the finish on the tongue, but every time I see pics, I wonder why I didn't just buy them anyway.
Here is a trip down memory lane and the summer of '90 Sports Illustrated spreads I was talking about earlier... old guys remember that it was a big deal to get your issue
laugh.gif

To the point about memories, I had this issue. Seems like yesterday. I clearly remember having it in art class and using it to draw from. I also remember looking at these pics that day and losing my mind over the 23 stitched on the heel; that is the first thing resembling a PE I ever saw. Also, it drove me crazy how with both the IVs and Vs Mike wore, his tongues were always positioned perfectly with the full jumpman clearly visible. (Back then, we didn't know it was called the jumpman, we called it either the flight man or flight guy in my school lol). On my store-bought IVs and Vs, the tongues were always obscured by the laces, they weren't long tongues like MJ's pair had, or like what they did on these retros. I was constantly pulling on them trying to match MJ's look, always to no avail and always frustrated my shoes didn't look like his 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
As an aside, I'm a magazine editor and seeing that SI layout again so many years later, man, the art direction is awful LOL. Not counting the opening spread, you've got six images in that layout and they're ALL of Mike, all closely cropped, and pretty much non-informative to the narrative the story is actually telling. Imagine you're on the Bulls or Pistons, your playoff series is a big feature in SI ... and the entire layout looks like Nike or the Jordan family paid for it. SI knew what the kids wanted to see 
roll.gif

Or if the suits are an extremely limited quickstrike release, I'm going to be REALLY pissed.

(just) do it. They get better when broken in. The durabuck needs time to properly break in. I've already worn both my pairs.

I actually want to break mine in so it'll look like ones I saw in the 90s on the street and on Eddie vedder's feet lol. Yellow soles and broken in suede looks awesome. I remembered wearing my OG 6s and 7s back in the day until the front toe part turned fuzzy white due to friction, not a good look tbh lol, hope these are more durable. Any pics of yours so far?

Saw the article by chance when Jordan put it up earlier. I spent my evening calling different shops and Nike itself. Nobody has any information on the suits being an actual release. Despite what the article says, it looks like the ones in the pics are either originals or they were made specifically for the article. Unless Nike really did do a super down low, super limited manufacturing run that no one is aware of and is sending suits out to top tier accounts as a surprise.

Good....gawd.

Beginning this Saturday, July 1st, Jordan Brand will embark on a new flight path with release destinations that pay homage to the original “flight suits” that Michael Jordan wore during his rookie season and later in those memorable ad campaigns throughout the Air Jordan line’s original run. It starts with the all-red suede “Flight Suit, West” this Saturday and ends with the blue counterpart “Flight Suit, East” on September 30th. The black Pinnacle edition, retro-inspired “Cement”, and military-themed “Camo” will release throughout the coming months.
View media item 2480105View media item 2480108

when they put out those elephant print jackets & clothing for the jordan 3 in 2006 - stuff was very limited and hard to find :smh:

just sayin Pain

Certainly passing on the all black V's, I wonder if JB is still going to try and sell them for $500 after the flop on the white ones.

when they put out those elephant print jackets & clothing for the jordan 3 in 2006 - stuff was very limited and hard to find :smh:

just sayin Pain

I think it was more recent than 2006, but when it did happen the full OG black/cement AJ III suit was available on Eastbay for several months. That's how I was able to get one. It was on Nike.com too if I recall correctly, but I went through Eastbay because I was able to use a discount. I don't remember if they had a white one in the Retro run also. I thought they did, but I've never seen one come up on eBay. But even more recent than that, they did full suits in several different colors for the last rounds of OG IV's and V's about 4-5 years ago, and those suits were not limited at all. They were available for months. I see no reason why they'd severely limit these now.

Last edited:
They released some retro og windbreakers a couple of years ago but they were kind of weak in comparison to the originals. These flight suits looks spot on thou. Wonder if they will fit big as the OGS?.

Wonder if they will fit big as the OGS?.

OG's definitely fit tight in my experience. They were more of an athletic cut in the late 80's, even more so than what Nike currently calls "athletic." The 1989 and 1990 cuts fit AT LEAST one full size smaller than the same size in the present day.

OG's definitely fit tight in my experience. They were more of an athletic cut in the late 80's, even more so than what Nike currently calls "athletic." The 1989 and 1990 cuts fit AT LEAST one full size smaller than the same size in the present day.

Hm..i suppose the one i had a few years ago were pretty worn out, lol.

Holy shhh, is $150 retail or are they marking it up? I still haven't found any other store that knows anything about it. I even called Nike back with that product number and still nothing comes up in their system, apparently.

Last edited:
I think it was more recent than 2006.

nah it was december 06 - and it made no sense putting them out with the retro 5s at the time
cause i bought items then

you may be thinking of something else as i wasnt too clear (my mistake) but these are the wave i was talking about...not the og type stuff...

View media item 2480601View media item 2480600

i like to be "babared out" with these joints...haters gone hate!

Last edited:
We are talking about 2 different things. Now I remember the clothes you are talking about, because I remember asking myself why they put out elephant print stuff with the V's from that year.

What I'm talking about is a Retro of the original AJ III warm up suit. This was released in the early 10's, probably 2011 actually now that I think about it. There may have been a Retro white version too, but I'm not sure. I always personally preferred black versions of warm up suits, but for this one the white version would've been CLEAN. I pulled mine out of the closet for a quick pic:

View media item 2480619
I didn't realize the tags were still on my jacket. I thought I wore this suit once or twice but I guess maybe I never did? The pants tag isn't attached. The jacket retailed for $90 and I believe the pants were $80. This is a pretty faithful rendition of the original 1988 warm up suit. Note even the elephant print included inside the tear away zippers on the pants legs. The only apparent detail exception being that it has no Nike branding.

EDIT - This suit was from March 2011. I found my old order confirmation. The jacket was $90 and the pants were $70. I got the pants from Eastbay but they initially had the jacket backordered, so instead of waiting, I remember I found the jacket on either Nike or Finish Line and bought it there. Although quantity on these was probably somewhat limited, availability on these was NOT limited; there were several sites selling them.

Last edited:
^ i like those

i kinda like the og 3 gear more than the 5 as i like the straight line across the chest over the swirly lines on the 5 jacket
but they're both fire :nthat:

^ i like those

i kinda like the og 3 gear more than the 5 as i like the straight line across the chest over the swirly lines on the 5 jacket
but they're both fire :nthat:

I loved how with the III, IV, and V warm up suits, you could see a design progression through the years just like you could see in the shoes. The III jacket was like black and cement luxury with the elephant print and clean pinstripe across the front, which graduated to the IV jacket with its thicker red strips, Flight patch, and total utilitarian-looking design style. Which in turn evolved to the V jacket with its streamlined, spreading, wing-like lines and the futuristic, ahead of its time, wavy single stripe across the front and back flowing down both sleeves. Then, both the VI shoe and jacket to come were something totally different. With the marriage of the Jordan and Flight product lines, 1988-1990 was truly a Golden Age for Nike basketball design.

The III jacket is Retro, the IV and V are both originals:

View media item 2480660

Last edited:
Ya

3's, 4's & 5's are they way to go, the best 3 aj models imo

it was the progression as you said

also - the late '80's (into 90) air force logo (with the half basketball) looked much better to me than the early '90's air force logo
again - the golden age like you said b :nthat:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom