Nike Air Pegasus ALL NEW MODELS 30, 31, 32 and up

I googled that product number and found this treasure trove of pictures/videos: http://8090chaohui.x.yupoo.com/albums?tab=gallery

I bet the inconsistencies in the ZoomX branding is because they were samples and not final design.

Great pictures, yes, but again, there are fakes of these sitting out there. There has been fakes of the Pegasus shoes for years unfortunately.

You know it's not all believable once you see something like this: http://8090chaohui.x.yupoo.com/albums/15503688?uid=1

Announcement coming tomorrow ...

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toad_Scream.gif

$180 USD

and just some early reviewer comments:

First, and most notable, is that the shoe runs a bit loose. Across the board, we all went down a half-size from what we typically wear in Nikes.The forefoot is wide and roomy, and the mesh upper is exceptionally flexible and deconstructed—there are no overlays to hold you in place

July 19!!!

“The Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo will be available July 19 for NikePlus members in the U.S., China, Japan, Germany, U.K. and Brazil via the Nike and NRC apps. It will be available globally August 2 on nike.com and at select retailers.”

Anyone know if there’s a way for Canada to get in on this? Some type of loophole that makes it work?

Is zoomX a different foam then react?

Also looks like zoom x breaks down a lot faster if it isn’t.

Idk. Could’ve just gave us the new Pegasus with a different upper. Not to sure about the price increase anymore since there’s no carbon fiber and the tech aintgonna last? Yeah :smh:

yes, zoomx is different from react and yes it isn't the most durable rubber on the vaporfly but that is also because a huge part of the shoes that gets heavy wear has no layer of rubber to protect it, the heel part is pretty much straight foam and a lot of runners heel strike

the pegasus turbo has a layer of rubber on the midsole/foam and the ground isn't going to be in direct contact like it is in the vaporfly which will prevent the foam from wearing out quick

and i personally like zoomx better than react

FA18_RN_Turbo_Hot_Punch_Grey_Hero_hd_1600.jpg

July 19!!!

“The Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo will be available July 19 for NikePlus members in the U.S., China, Japan, Germany, U.K. and Brazil via the Nike and NRC apps. It will be available globally August 2 on nike.com and at select retailers.”

Toad_Scream.gif

HELL YEAH, LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@^$% ^$DFHGHGFHTFGHRHFS97T8IHUFFDGUHFDLJLMSFDHDF79YDFOHLGDF

Is zoomX a different foam then react?

Also looks like zoom x breaks down a lot faster if it isn’t.

Idk. Could’ve just gave us the new Pegasus with a different upper. Not to sure about the price increase anymore since there’s no carbon fiber and the tech aintgonna last? Yeah :smh:

They know about the durability issue, yeah, so they layered rubber + React on the bottom to protect it.

Giving the Pegasus a different upper is something they just do every single year for each iteration, so for THAT, you'd have to wait for the Pegasus 36.

And to answer the ZoomX question, ZoomX IS different than React for sure. React is just Lunarlon, but much better. ZoomX is on a different level since it uses PEBA foam. To compare, ZoomX is... ****, dare I say it? I'm scared that if I say it, THAT GROUP of people will ****ing flock over and be on alert like

I assume that "wrinkle" part is the react foam.
I thought there is supposed to be full zoom bag? The article doesn't mention it at all.

I assume that "wrinkle" part is the react foam.
I thought there is supposed to be full zoom bag? The article doesn't mention it at all.

I think the React is at the very bottom (if that's what they meant by the "underfoot.") Only there to stop the ZoomX from breaking down fast.

Guess that Zoom Air unit was all just a rumor. Hey, there was someone here in the forums who was looking to see ZoomX ONLY by itself. I forgot who, but if you're reading this, here you go! :D

I think the React is at the very bottom (if that's what they meant by the "underfoot.") Only there to stop the ZoomX from breaking down fast.

Guess that Zoom Air unit was all just a rumor. Hey, there was someone here in the forums who was looking to see ZoomX ONLY by itself. I forgot who, but if you're reading this, here you go! :D
Running Warehouse will have to update its product page. I guess they just assumed it would include zoom air.

Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo Initial Road Test Review: Light, Comfortable Trainer Built for the Road to Breaking 2... or Breaking 4!

On July 11th Nike released the Zoom Pegasus Turbo, an approximately 8 oz (men's 9), 6.9 oz (women's 8) run trainer. Nike's official weight at a size 10 men's is 8. 4 oz. The Turbo has a 10mm drop and is based on the popular Pegasus.

The Zoom Pegasus Turbo is the second shoe, after the magic Vapor Fly-the Breaking 2 shoe, (RTR review) with a Zoom X midsole. Zoom X is a PEBA based foam which is incredibly light and has superb energy "return" and cushioning characteristics. The Vapor Fly has flown elites and four hour marathoners to shockingly fast times while keeping the legs fresh through the race and after. I can attest to the friendliness and speed of this incredible shoe. The Turbo geometry seeks to reproduce the familiar feel of the Pegasus, at race shoe weights, as well as the energetic softer ride of the Vapor Fly with a hint of its propulsive effect but with no carbon plate in the mix.

The Turbo was developed with feedback from Eliud Kipchoge who got oh so close to the magic two hour marathon barrier last year and who has been the world's most dominant marathoner. Eliud wanted a training shoe with the very light, lively, soft, and friendly feel of his record setting Vapor Fly to hammer out the hundreds of miles of training required. Quite frankly, Nike had few if any training shoes with such a ride feel and light weight in their current line up until the Turbo.

Nike was kind enough to send us a pair for testing. I have run 13 miles in them since receiving yesterday: a 5.5 mile moderate tempo run and a 7.5 mile hilly slower run. Read on, but Nike has a winner here. The Turbo is a training shoe that is a light, comfortable, softer and is smoother and at the same time is not quite as aggressively responsive and firm as the standard Pegasus. Recall Eliud wanted some comfort in his trainer and we should too!

ZP3xrv1%2525QHWWiF%25251ms3r0g.jpg

My test sample is a women's size 10 which fit my 8.5 size perfectly with a touch more mid foot volume and comfort than the Pegasus 35. It is certainly more comfortable for me than the Epic React's upper where I was almost pinched, down low at the arch. I once tested a Pegasus 33 in a women's 10 and this fit is clearly looser and more voluminous at mid foot yet with plenty of length. While I can't exactly judge, lower volume, narrower men's feet may need to size down in men's models, I likely would and am usually true to size in everything.

Guys with a narrower foot, and mine is narrow to medium, should definitely consider a women's model if supplies are short, and they will be!

The shoe tested weighs 7.6 oz/ 220 g which translates to approximatly 8 oz./227 g at a US size 9. This is 1.4 oz/40 g less than the current standard Pegasus 35. The weight difference is instantly noticeable on the foot and on the run.

First Impressions and Fit

Iek4%2525LkvQ5SEl9ZkUMSU5w.jpg

I really dig the day glow pink and light gray green here. I have to assume the wide racing stripe down the toe is functional providing some structure. It is reproduced on the outsole as a full contact surface in the center, just where it should be. The shoe disappears on the foot with no sense of the constraining fit of the Epic React or even of the new Pegasus 35 which fits me well if still somewhat snugly. I did notice some pressure over my tricky big toe nails from the broad and flashy racing stripe but one run in thicker socks was what it took to pad the toe nail and pack down the sock-liner. and the fit was dialed and the pressure gone on for my next run in thin socks.

The achilles collar fit is similar to the Pegasus 35, swept back to relieve achilles pressure and a bit more "open" and loose feeling than normal towards the top but all in all as secure if relaxed rear of the shoe fit.

Upper

d9gDqee9QV2F3rDMEFeVPA.jpg

The upper is a very fine translucent mesh reminding of a tiny holed fishing net. It has a full lining which is fairly thick and which attaches to the tongue to create a bootie. The FlyWire cords sit between the outer mesh and the inner bootie and I never noticed them when laced up as the lining pads the FlyWire cords very effectively.

8OpzW3agRdeCPbp72oKHtQ.jpg

The upper is very pliable and foot conforming with mid foot support provided by the bootie and the FlyWire cords, as well as a slight raising of the midsole side walls at mid foot above the foot bed on the medial side. The laces are pliable with some grip texture. Lace up was once and done.

The swept back achilles collar is a distinctive feature of the Peg Turbo and Pegasus 35. It does keep pressure off the achilles but feels a bit open at the top although overall rear hold is just fine.

There is plenty of toe box volume with the caveat that on first try on, before they molded to the foot the racing stripe was noticed with some pressure over my big toe nails. By the end of the first run this went away. The upper is super breathable and should drain very well.

The tongue is lightly padded with a smooth continuous covering.

WITNu4HIRoKFNKQ0oiLZXQ.jpg

Midsole

The Zoom X midsole is the star feature. Nike tells us the entire midsole is Zoom X which we understand is a PEBA based foam and not the usual EVA.

There is no full length carbon propulsive plate in the mix as the Vapor Fly has. This is a softer midsole for sure than the Pegasus with its Cushlon cradle of foam surrounding a full length Zoom Air unit. Even though the Pegasus 35 is much improved and lighter (although still a full ounce heavier than Turbo) it still has a somewhat lumpy, firm feel and certainly so in comparison to its Turbo sibling. The Turbo feel is closer to Nike shoes such as the Lunar Tempo but with a silky softness with a more noticeable, well measured rebound and a distinct if more subtle than in Vapor Fly sense of energy return as downward forces are released I assume due to the lack of the propulsion plate of the Vapor Fly.

38xdVd80Tfy13ifpboRnWg.jpg

Those familiar with Nike new Epic React will find the Turbo midsole somewhat softer and with much more life to it. I found the Epic React ride muted and quite dull despite the light weight of the shoe, a touch lighter at 7.8 oz than the Turbo.

At first I thought I felt two densities of foam, slightly firmer under foot then softer below at the heel but this feel may be caused by the flared geometry of the heel and midsole side walls. Even with the outwardly flared heel sides, as a heel striker, I wish for a touch more width at the rear. This said they are way more stable than the Vapor Fly.

The flex is long, breaking past the second lace loop from the front, basically just in front of the Swoosh. Forward of that, the shoe is quite stiff reminding of the Vapor Fly but of course as there is no carbon plate more flexible overall as the Vapor Fly is completely rigid.

As with the Vapor Fly, there is a delightfully soft feeling under the forefoot from the Zoom X but no sense of bottoming out. The Turbo transitions incredibly easily but given no plate and relatively thin rubber outsole it is not as responsive and snappy as the Pegasus 35. One feels a very smooth and easy flow through the gait to toe off. Recall this is a training shoe for long miles at moderate paces, in great comfort, day in day out. The Vapor Fly is the race and faster days shoe in this Nike rotation.

Outsole

IMG_6099.JPG

The outsole is durable rubber which feels of the same firmness front and back with a full band around the entire outsole edges which we assume helps stabilize the soft Zoom X, and it does. The contact rubber is concentrated in two areas of pentagonal lugs at the front and rear in an arrangement similar to the Epic React.

Unlike the Epic React, which I found difficult to toe off, I sensed due to its continuous patches of rubber here with openings through, and real rubber and not the translucent material in the Epic. that toe off is soft, easy and smooth, seamless, and unforced, as I often felt Epic's was.

Pressing the heel area rubber, particularly at the far pointy back I find the whole system a bit softer than I would like, My only ninor criticism of the Turbo so far is that the heel landing may be to pointy and.or the rubber not dense enough back there to create an ideally stable platform for us heel striking Breaking 4 types!

IMG_6956.JPG

m5w2EwiHTqmCJoSS3XZkLA.jpg

Ride

The ride is delightfully easy going and smooth. Soft but in no way mushy. the Turbo is very easy on the legs, as is the Vapor Fly. The long flex was particularly good on steep climbs. The pointy heel is not quite as stable as I would like on steep downhills. So far, I am finding the ride best at paces between mid tempo and easier going daily miles. The most unique sensation here is the transition from a subtle "platform" like feel at mid foot to a very easy and comfortable toe off with lots of well modulated softness up front. It's not a snappy responsive toe of, just a sense as in the Vapor Fly, but less so, of falling forward slightly and easily and very smoothly toeing off without ever forcing the toe off as I felt in the Epic React. I do wish for a touch more front snap as the pace picks up, but for the long daily miles training purpose the comfort and smoothness here is outstanding.

Conclusions

By focusing on the training needs of its elites and learning from the leg saving experiences of the Vapor Fly and its Zoom X midsole, Nike has delivered an outstanding new trainer with the Pegasus Turbo. Even in recent years, many Nike racers and trainers have definitely on the heavy, rough or firm side with shoes such as the Pegasus and Streak 6. Yet Nike did have a line of softer rides, the Lunar series. The Vapor Fly opened eyes and moved legs fast and relatively painlessly so why not train that way too!

This is one comfortable ride top to bottom: easy going, light, and energetic without any rough edges beyond a wish for a bit more heel firmness/stability and a touch more front response. It is not a highly snappy responsive trainer targeted at up tempo workouts ( use theVapor Fly for that) but a smooth, smooth operator for daily miles which can go fast or slow with equal ease and with less roughness and jarring than the fine standard Pegasus 35. Runners of all paces, except maybe extreme hard and heavier frame heel strikers will enjoy this shoe as a daily trainer. We will have an in depth multi tester review soon.

Their comparisons so far:

Nike Zoom Pegasus 35 (RTR Review)
Turbo is lighter, smoother, and more easy going on the legs. It is not quite as stable or responsive. Use the Peg 35 for faster workouts, the Turbo for the bulk of your miles.

Nike Vapor Fly 4% (RTR Review)
Train most miles in the Turbo. Do harder faster workouts and races in the Vapor Fly. That's Eliud's combo.

Nike Epic React Flyknit (RTR Review)
Not a big smiles shoe for me. A constrained, snug upper and muted, stiff ride despite the light weight of the Epic. Zoom X is clearly a superior midsole foam a more energetic and lively while softer than the Epic Reactwith smoother transitions and far superior and easier and more natural toe off while having a touch less response.

Nike Zoom Fly (RTR Review)
Firmer and very stiff with conventional foam the Zoom Fly seemed to operate for me in a narrow pace range around moderate tempo and was no fun faster or slower. Turbo will range better from faster tempo to slower paces and is easier on the legs.

New Balance Beacon (RTR Review)
Very similar light shoes. The Beacon is somewhat firmer and more responsive and is a better race and faster days option but doesn't cross over to most runners daily training needs as well as the Peg Turbo.

Saucony Kinvara 9 (RTR Review)
The Kinvara is more stable overall and feels like a better up tempo option. It won't handle the daily miles as well as Turbo

Reebok Floatride Run Fast (RTR Review)
Lighter than the Turbo by almost an ounce, the Fast also has PEBA based midsole, one that appears slightly firmer and more responsive. It definitely leans more towards race and fast workouts more than training as the Turbo does.

I'm a big fan of the racing stripe and like the launch color, but that green tint on the forefoot midsole area is kind of throwing me off.

About the stripe, I'll say this. When it comes to things like social media, instagram, etc. This model will be very noticeable because of the stripe (until another company puts out a shoe with it).

Back
Top Bottom