Nike Air Up - These are due for a retro

^^^Agreed. Why do the folks at Nike have such a problem with just releasing a retro the exact same way it was made the first time? Do what you want with the non-original colorways but at least have the decency to leave the originals the way they were.

I wont necessarily say that updating is a bad thing...but it has to be done correctly and have some sort of substance or benefit.

For example:
We all know the days of premium or even real leather are far gone, so I def wouldn't have minded synthetic leather, but keep it as true to form as possible. Keep it two separate leathers, suede/nubuck on black alternating panels and synthetic white leather.
I really don't care if you change the swoosh color on the back or if you change the color on the branding on the outsole, but keep the upper as close to the original as possible.....its the only way you'll get people to buy off the nostalgia factor!!

If Nike wanted to UPDATE and not cut cost and try to rip poeple off then.....

give us forefoot zoom and give us viz zoom in the heel :nthat:
I would've gladly still shelled out good money for update tech and not cheap materials.

Last edited:
I wont necessarily say that updating is a bad thing...but it has to be done correctly and have some sort of substance or benefit.

For example:
We all know the days of premium or even real leather are far gone, so I def wouldn't have minded synthetic leather, but keep it as true to form as possible. Keep it two separate leathers, suede/nubuck on black alternating panels and synthetic white leather.
I really don't care if you change the swoosh color on the back or if you change the color on the branding on the outsole, but keep the upper as close to the original as possible.....its the only way you'll get people to buy off the nostalgia factor!!

I would've gladly still shelled out good money for update tech and not cheap materials.

I'm with you on this 100%. Small, subtle changes are fine but don't make it dramatically different. For example, I think they did an excellent job on the Air Max Penny 1 retro. Only real change was the size of the air bubble, which wasn't a deal breaker as I not only own the two black-based retros of the original colorways but even paid full retail for them.

Last edited:

For example:

You can't be serious with the comment about 'premium' or 'real leather' being far gone. Reebok, Fila & Li Ning are running it on their product - Nike chooses to use the garbage materials because it allows for massive profit margins. Nothing more nothing less.

They (Nike) would still be making money if the shoe had full grain leather and was blown out at $40. They just choose to go with the whack materials to keep manufacturing costs way, way down.

This retro is a joke - looks like a damn plastic model of the OG shoe. Hell, you can see the light off the camera flash reflecting in the plastic upper. :x

You can't be serious with the comment about 'premium' or 'real leather' being far gone. Reebok, Fila & Li Ning are running it on their product - Nike chooses to use the garbage materials because it allows for massive profit margins. Nothing more nothing less.

Well that's exactly what I mean.

I'm not saying real leather isn't being used in the footwear industry....what I am saying is that NIKE has completely abandoned it to cut cost, and we all know this!
I wont sit around here and b!tch and moan about the good ol'days or how good the leather was back in the day. I'll be a realist and look at the products that Nike releases and if it doesn't meet my criteria...well then I'll let my dollars speak for me by passing on everything that does not appeal to me. Plain and simple.

Technically it's not too late for them to completly redeem themselves by dropping an accurate retro of the black/royal pair...

Well that's exactly what I mean.

I'm not saying real leather isn't being used in the footwear industry....what I am saying is that NIKE has completely abandoned it to cut cost, and we all know this!
I wont sit around here and b!tch and moan about the good ol'days or how good the leather was back in the day. I'll be a realist and look at the products that Nike releases and if it doesn't meet my criteria...well then I'll let my dollars speak for me by passing on everything that does not appeal to me. Plain and simple.
You are forgetting that you actually have a choice, just don't buy them, that is it, eventually they will wake up. Just like vood99 said, there are plenty of premium materials with the other brands, don't fallow the hype and stay true to yourself. I love the model and I wanted it since day one back in 94, but there is no way I will give my money to Nike when they lough behind my back, see Penny 1, almost no changes to the shoe and everyone is happy and buying it, they could have gone that route, but they choose to F with our minds. 

I'll be a realist and look at the products that Nike releases and if it doesn't meet my criteria...well then I'll let my dollars speak for me by passing on everything that does not appeal to me. Plain and simple.

You are forgetting that you actually have a choice, just don't buy them, that is it, eventually they will wake up. Just like vood99 said, there are plenty of premium materials with the other brands, don't fallow the hype and stay true to yourself. I love the model and I wanted it since day one back in 94, but there is no way I will give my money to Nike when they lough behind my back, see Penny 1, almost no changes to the shoe and everyone is happy and buying it, they could have gone that route, but they choose to F with our minds. 

Another reading comprehension fail :smh:

You guys gotta start reading the entire post and not just picking out the parts you want to.

laugh.gif

Hopefully NSW learned they're lesson and they'll abandon that cheap vac tech crap and give us better materials.
The pic isn't very clear but it looks like it has Penny's 1 stitched on the heel :nthat:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the white/silver Pip's with the 33 on the heel.

Oh hell yes....that vac tech is painful. Not even exaggerating. Legit hurt my feet. If those are made with the proper materials I am elated :smile:

....I don't see a 1 back there :nerd:

Last edited:
Hopefully they learned their lesson with VacTech garbage and are going to make those withe the correct materials and hopefully later the White and Black pair too. 

Hopefully NSW learned they're lesson and they'll abandon that cheap vac tech crap and give us better materials.
The pic isn't very clear but it looks like it has Penny's 1 stitched on the heel :nthat:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the white/silver Pip's with the 33 on the heel.

You and me both buddy! If they release the Pippen 33 Air Ups, I'm buying first day I see them! :smile:

i didnt get the vac tech retro, but im in for these if the materials are correct.

Last edited:
The picture look like the shoes got the right treatment this go round, if so will be purchase at msrp.

Back
Top Bottom