Nike Air VaporMax

Synopsis - if you’re a fan of the Steelers, this is the Vapormax for you.

71808333-ACEF-4F4F-B0DB-99C2F01E6E4A.jpeg

I agree about the midsole, has anyone noticed how one or both shoes are not level when you are not wearing them. I noticed when I saw a few pair on display. I checked my pair yesterday & the left shoe can be rocked back & forth. On my wife’s shoe it is her right shoe. It is like the sole is not balanced on both shoes. Place the shoes on a level surface & place your finger on the heel area & see if you can rock it by pushing slightly down on the heel. I have not worn them out & about but I am curious as to why there is not a even/balanced sole.

I got my Utilities in too. I’m a bit perplexed on the purpose of the shoe. They look cool for sure but yeah it’s definitely not a winter shoe or a hiking or trail shoe.

I got my Utilities in too. I’m a bit perplexed on the purpose of the shoe. They look cool for sure but yeah it’s definitely not a winter shoe or a hiking or trail shoe.
I think they’re just a badass shoe. They should have taken that waterproofing tech from the stone island sock darts and applied it here and made this an acg model. For now it’s just a great looking head scratcher.

I agree about the midsole, has anyone noticed how one or both shoes are not level when you are not wearing them. I noticed when I saw a few pair on display. I checked my pair yesterday & the left shoe can be rocked back & forth. On my wife’s shoe it is her right shoe. It is like the sole is not balanced on both shoes. Place the shoes on a level surface & place your finger on the heel area & see if you can rock it by pushing slightly down on the heel. I have not worn them out & about but I am curious as to why there is not a even/balanced sole.

I know what you are talking about. I can't tell you how many vapormaxes I have handled personally. But this is pretty common. I would say it is due to the air max outsole being glued on in 2 pieces to the upper. The gap in between the two pieces is never going to be exactly perfect so I believe this contributes to it resting unevenly when laid on a flat surface. It doesn't effect the performance of the shoe or the weight distribution as far as I know so it's really just something that happens IMO. The difference in space between soles is millimeters between most pairs so it's not some egregious error or anything.

isn't the point of vapormax to eliminate the midsole???

Nike is 'jumping the shark' big-time with the Vapors, and it's still not quite a yr old yet. It's been 'overkill' especially with white/grey/black colorways. Now a 'utility' model. Between the way they're 'playing-out' the Vapors, overproducing Js, and not producing Kobe retros; Nike is dropping balls left and right.

I've never owned an Adi shoe in my life, but it's no wonder they've captured the marker share (and 'hype-share') they have.

Nike is 'jumping the shark' big-time with the Vapors, and it's still not quite a yr old yet. It's been 'overkill' especially with white/grey/black colorways. Now a 'utility' model. Between the way they're 'playing-out' the Vapors, overproducing Js, and not producing Kobe retros; Nike is dropping balls left and right.

I've never owned an Adi shoe in my life, but it's no wonder they've captured the marker share (and 'hype-share') they have.
That’s a very 2016 statement.
Where Nike finished 2017 is the exact opposite of what you’ve outlined there. If anything adidas has been the one floundering and Nike’s new hype marketing approach, restless innovation department and “edit to amplify” strategy have curtailed any marketplace slippage.

I think both of you made fair points. I'm an old shoe head sold over a hundred pairs and was rocking Saucony and New Balance for the first time. To me NIke got played and lost innovation. I liked having J's before EVERYONE had them. I was buying air max and they lost me using the same sole over and over.

I tried some NMD's and was shocked how good it was. Then went to ultraboost which I still buy. It was stunning that it was superior to me than Air Max and it wasn't close. Now my issue is it's ridiculous trying to get some pairs. The hypebeast sell out faster than Nikes. That was unheard of just 5 years ago.

Vapormax to me is simply innovation. It's dope. It's comfy. Looks great. They are not seen all over. Nike got me back. But I do think they rushed all the different iterations too fast. It hasn't been a year yet.

This January release has me really lost. The 5 monotone pairs. Pairs later this month. Utilities. Pluses. The black/yellow dropped Randomly like "oh crap we forgot we made these release them today". Like ten pairs dropping!!. And then the 2.0 likely launches air max day in a couple months. No time to enjoy what one bought since it's like "what's coming next" lol.

I think both of you made fair points. I'm an old shoe head sold over a hundred pairs and was rocking Saucony and New Balance for the first time. To me NIke got played and lost innovation. I liked having J's before EVERYONE had them. I was buying air max and they lost me using the same sole over and over.

I tried some NMD's and was shocked how good it was. Then went to ultraboost which I still buy. It was stunning that it was superior to me than Air Max and it wasn't close. Now my issue is it's ridiculous trying to get some pairs. The hypebeast sell out faster than Nikes. That was unheard of just 5 years ago.

Vapormax to me is simply innovation. It's dope. It's comfy. Looks great. They are not seen all over. Nike got me back. But I do think they rushed all the different iterations too fast. It hasn't been a year yet.

This January release has me really lost. The 5 monotone pairs. Pairs later this month. Utilities. Pluses. The black/yellow dropped Randomly like "oh crap we forgot we made these release them today". Like ten pairs dropping!!. And then the 2.0 likely launches air max day in a couple months. No time to enjoy what one bought since it's like "what's coming next" lol.
I don’t think his point wasn’t fair, just 18 months late.

When Nike/Jordan were making things more exclusive, it built hype and that spread across other lines. I remember people waiting in lines for Js, and most were wearing Roshes. People who were lining up for Js were buying bots to cop sneakers from NikeLab that they had no practical use for. That's how much Nike had the hype ball rolling. Then they let Adi steal their exclusivity playbook (and also steal a huge teen influencer).

One thing Nike does better than anybody is 'retro.' If they're wise, they will make Js much more exclusive (Js are like jeans and Chucks at this point...classics). They also have the guys that were/are the next 'Jordans' in their stable with Kobe and Lebron. They should parley those (with exclusivity) into hype across other lines in the next couple years. I'm sure basketball shoes will be a 'thing' again soon too. It's all cyclical.

I like Vapors a lot. I had 7 pairs at one point. I'm down to two. Oreos (which I think are substantially the best Vapor release), and one of the 100 'Triple Black' colorways they released. I'm good going forward with this model, but could see myself picking up another pair at disco at at factory or something as an impulse buy. To be honest, the only Nike release that I'm really excited about buying in the next couple months is the Cement 3s. That will be the first sneaker I double-up on in a couple years (last was the Kobe 11 FTB).

And yes, like you I'm an older sneaker aficionado. At one point, I had over 500 pairs, but now I make a point to keep it around 50-70 max. After a couple decades, I've grown to appreciate what I 'really like' over quantity or being a collector/completionist. Especially since I've had pairs deteriorate due to age.

Last edited:
Vapormax are killing it right now and think Nike nailed it w/ this model! Super stocked to see what’s next... it’s just the BEGINNING

Nike will continue to **** on all its competition lol

When Nike/Jordan were making things more exclusive, it built hype and that spread across other lines. I remember people waiting in lines for Js, and most were wearing Roshes. People who were lining up for Js were buying bots to cop sneakers from NikeLab that they had no practical use for. That's how much Nike had the hype ball rolling. Then they let Adi steal their exclusivity playbook (and also steal a huge teen influencer).

One thing Nike does better than anybody is 'retro.' If they're wise, they will make Js much more exclusive (Js are like jeans and Chucks at this point...classics). They also have the guys that were/are the next 'Jordans' in their stable with Kobe and Lebron. They should parley those (with exclusivity) into hype across other lines in the next couple years. I'm sure basketball shoes will be a 'thing' again soon too. It's all cyclical.

I like Vapors a lot. I had 7 pairs at one point. I'm down to two. Oreos (which I think are substantially the best Vapor release), and one of the 100 'Triple Black' colorways they released. I'm good going forward with this model, but could see myself picking up another pair at disco at at factory or something as an impulse buy. To be honest, the only Nike release that I'm really excited about buying in the next couple months is the Cement 3s. That will be the first sneaker I double-up on in a couple years (last was the Kobe 11 FTB).

And yes, like you I'm an older sneaker aficionado. At one point, I had over 500 pairs, but now I make a point to keep it around 50-70 max. After a couple decades, I've grown to appreciate what I 'really like' over quantity or being a collector/completionist. Especially since I've had pairs deteriorate due to age.

Nice post. I never thought of J's as classics but damn that is a great analogy. Yup I hate deterioration :frown:.. I wa shocked the first few times it happened ages ago, like "damn I barely even wore these" lol...

My problem is when I like something I go overboard... I'll post my VM's up as soon as this one pair comes in next week.

don't see why nike has to kill anyone. Love vapormax and nike, love ultra boost and adi. Neither is my sports team, just sneaker manufacturers whose products I enjoy

I think that’s all right but the tide has already turned.

New news playbook:
OW style drops/collabs
Push innovation agenda across core pillars (vapormax, zoomx, hyperadapt, sustainability, etc)
Edit to Amplify (look it up)

The retro stuff is just icing on the cake.

They got this.

Back
Top Bottom