Nike Joyride

Curious to see if the beads will eventually work their way of those little holes in the outsole...

Walking down the street with a trail of dippin dots behind you ain’t it...
i doubt it. they would have to get out of the packet they are sealed in then out of the sole itself. Seems super unlikely

Joyride NSW Setter. August 15th.

CFE4013D-462F-4F47-8FF7-4C3D13775444.jpeg
26CEA8E1-5101-4020-9AC4-47E9729744E8.jpeg
1DC6771F-5F00-440C-8087-F2FE4037866F.jpeg
AB878884-9062-42B8-AC61-17477BFEC1C0.jpeg
F4FE05BF-CD5A-4FA6-981E-B203777501B0.jpeg

There’s also going to be a MMW collab too at some point

First look - Nike unveil Joyride Run Flyknit, aimed at recovery

Today, Nike has unveiled their newest innovation - the Joyride Run Flyknit, a highly cushioned running shoe specifically designed to keep legs fresh on recovery runs. The shoe sees Nike unveil some new innovation too - cushioning with the help of thousands of TPE beads.

Following some time in the shoes, we sat down to chat with Kylee Barton, Senior Director of Running Footwear at Nike, to find out what this shoe is all about.

Running on beads
Inspired by the conforming feeling of sand cradling the foot as you walk on the beach, Barton explains exactly how Nike’s new bead-technology works; “the air trapped between the beads escapes as it is compressed, which is actually what provides the soft underfoot sensation”, Barton tells Runner’s World.

With just a thin layer between the beads and the foot (this is stitched in, there is no removable foot bed), as you put the Joyride on, the feeling of the beads is alien. Initial thoughts are along the lines of ‘how on earth can these be comfortable to run in?’ and ‘how are the beads not going to bunch up?’. Condensing a decade-worth of research that has gone into this shoe, Barton explains, “in the research lab we played with balls, beads, pellets and different materials to try and create something that would provide an easier run”.

Looking at pressure mapping data, Nike came up with Joyride’s three compartments, or “zonally-toned pods”, to position beads where runners need them most. The heel pod has the most amount of beads (with the most space) to absorb the impact of the run (especially for heel strikers), while those at the forefoot are more densely packed and designed to transition the foot forward through the gait cycle. The pods prevent the beads from bunching up under areas of low pressure, such as the arch or the toes, while still letting the beads move around the foot, like the sand on the beach that inspired the design.

On initial tests, it’s hard not to agree with the tech jargon - yes, you definitely can feel the beads underfoot, but once you’ve run for a mile and forgotten to focus on your feet, this disappears. The beads do seem to cradle the foot in a way that even the softest foam would struggle to do in a mile, and they arerelatively lightweight and responsive.

joyride-designer-sketches-1563985862.jpg

The Flyknit upper
This shoe is all about comfort and the Flyknit upper is no different, designed to adapt to the compression of the beads in the midsole, as well as hugging the foot on the run. Learnings taken from the difficulties runners found getting the React and the Vaporfly on the foot have led to a softer, ‘double’ collar and rounded heel loop. Barton was proud to mention there had been no entry issues with the Joyride and we’ve got to agree - they’re a lot easier to slip on.

Nike’s first move to personalisation
Nike has been very clear on the fact that the Joyride is designed for every runner. “We recognise that not every runner wants to break a PR or run a marathon and we also know that the design of the Next% can be a bit intimidating. One thing we definitely know is that running is hard - we know for some people that means just starting running, or just finishing a 5K, or for accomplished runners, something to wear to make recovery days easier” Barton tells Runner’s World.

The beads are branded as Nike’s first step towards personalisation, mainly as the beads mold to the foot and offer a ‘bespoke’ fit. The number of beads in each shoe is based on the average runners’ weight to shoe size ratio. In a men’s US 10, there’s 10,000 beads in each shoe, in a women’s US 8, there’s 9,000 and Nike have developed new machinery to make the Joyride (think putting the frosting on a cupcake, Barton says).

Designed for ‘every runner’
Whether you’re a seasoned marathoner heading out for a shake-out run, or a novice trying to find your stride, according to Nike the Joyride works. Of course, the big assumption Nike are making here and arguably with their faster range, is that every runner owns multiple pairs of running shoes. Jargon aside, this definitely isn’t an every-run kind of shoe, but if you can afford to spend the money, it’s a nice easy-run option.

With a completely different feel to the soft foam of the NEXT4%, the beads do offer a springy, responsive, comfortable ride, that Barton says lasted for more than 400 miles on test. Unlike Nike’s latest range of fast running shoes, you won’t have to worry about the Joyride not lasting a training cycle, but they are best suited for shorter runs.

The shoe is designed to compete with the likes of the Hoka Clifton 5, which is one of the most popular lightweight cushioned shoes on the market. Nike claim their Joyride is more responsive and more cushioned, thanks to the help of their TPE beads, but whether the brand so focused on making runners faster can beat Hoka in the maximal shoe market remains to be seen.

Nike actually had the tech first, then Puma rushed that pair above to market and I believe Nike sued them over it. That’s why you haven’t seen any more ‘NRGY Beads’ pairs from Puma since those dropped over a year ago.
is there an article on this? I know puma was battling with Adidas, just never knew it was Nike as well

Cop the first colorway or two that you like. They might become like when UltraBoost first came out, slowly ppl found out how comfy they were and they started to sell out. I got the launch colorway at discount so I will do the same with these (black/white pair) :lol:

Cop the first colorway or two that you like. They might become like when UltraBoost first came out, slowly ppl found out how comfy they were and they started to sell out. I got the launch colorway at discount so I will do the same with these (black/white pair) :lol:
What time are they available?

too soon to tell if they’re gonna be comfy or not haha but didn’t most of us think that react would be like this and look at where we’re at now with that

Nike is already looking like they’re milking this new tech with all the different models to be released and have a collab set to be out too

I'm intrigued to see reviews for this, price seems really high for what's being marketed as purely a recovery shoe.

For me personally I find the Peg Turbo, at the same price, is such a versatile trainer.

They look comfortable. Would be just for casual wear in my case.

Need to see some more visually appealing models or at least better colorways for daily casual wear.

But am interested for sure. Haven't tried React yet either.

Writer of the Engadget article made the Boost comparison: "Adidas, Nike's main competitor, does have the Ultraboost for its part -- which I often describe as feeling as if you're walking on a soft, cushiony pillow. With the Joyride Run Flyknit, Nike has created something similar, if not better. And since these shoes don't include a sock-liner, you feel the thousands of tiny beads conform to your feet as soon as you put them on, since there's only a thin piece of fabric between them and each foot. That should help maximize performance, Nike says, since Joyride has the ability to adapt to every runner differently."

anybody got picked and granted the "privilege" to purchase these shoes today?

via NDC chat:

Claudine
To clear things up, today is for the early access for select NikePlus members.

Claudine
While August 1 is for another release exclusively for all NikePlus members here in USA. This is like an regular launch wherein it is a first come, first serve basis.

Claudine
Then August 15 is for the global release.

via NDC chat:

Claudine

Claudine
While August 1 is for another release exclusively for all NikePlus members here in USA. This is like an regular launch wherein it is a first come, first serve basis.

Claudine

nothing here... waiting for this

via NDC chat:

Claudine

Claudine

Claudine
they might do it later on in the day. Ive seen alot of plus member only shoes notify me in the afternoon rather than early in the day

Back
Top Bottom